SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

9 oct. 2022 à 19 h 31
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,152
Quoting: aadoyle
Benn, Liligren and Dahlstrom going to LTIR and with emergency call up they can technically do 21.

I don’t think you can make an emergency call up for a 21st player. That would just be for a 20th player in the case of an injury.
9 oct. 2022 à 19 h 53
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Quoting: Saskleaf
I don’t think you can make an emergency call up for a 21st player. That would just be for a 20th player in the case of an injury.

Need to check as Cushman was explaining it. But because of the addition of Benn on LTIR they apparently can run a 21 man team or something
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 20 h 14
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,231

Jesus Christ.. when will this end
Saskleaf, zk97 et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 5
Hakuna Matata
https://www.tsn.ca/tampa-bay-lightning-suspend-ian-cole-pending-investigation-1.1860218

Man I liked Cole back in Pittsburgh but if what this person said is true he should be in jail
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 13
Red Deer Is Superior
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 87
I do not buy the Ian Cole stuff for a second. “Emily Smith” joined Twitter last month and has no picture. Anyone could have made all that up. I am calling it nonsense until there is even a shred of proof.
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 14
Red Deer Is Superior
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 87
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

It never will because the people behind all of this hate hockey.
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 36
Hakuna Matata

Hopefully nothing else is added to this list of turmoil
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 37
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Quoting: MikeKeenanHatesMe
It never will because the people behind all of this hate hockey.

hockey players are terrible people and never deserve the benefit of the doubt. sorry if this offends you.
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 41
Go leafs go
I am going to save my judgement on Cole to after the investigation is over. Innocent until proven guilty.

If true, then he should be kicked out of the league but we need to wait until proof comes in before anything is done.
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 42
Ex Nucks fan
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 17,624
I am going to save my judgement on Cole to after the investigation is over. Innocent until proven guilty.

If true, then he should be kicked out of the league but we need to wait until proof comes in before anything is done.

If true, he should be behind bars
zk97, Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan and 2 others a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 44
Habs fan somehow
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 80
I do not buy the Ian Cole stuff for a second. “Emily Smith” joined Twitter last month and has no picture. Anyone could have made all that up. I am calling it nonsense until there is even a shred of proof.

Wow, man, I mean, you can't be serious?
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 44
Go leafs go
Quoting: mondo
hockey players are terrible people and never deserve the benefit of the doubt. sorry if this offends you.

If you think all hockey players are terrible people why do you follow the NHL? Seriously just find another sport if you think they are all so terrible.
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 48
WentWughes
If you think all hockey players are terrible people why do you follow the NHL? Seriously just find another sport if you think they are all so terrible.

TF kind of mentality is that lmao. Not sure how you can be a hockey fan if you think they're all pieces of ****
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 50
Go leafs go
TF kind of mentality is that lmao. Not sure how you can be a hockey fan if you think they're all pieces of ****

Exactly. It’s ridiculous.
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 52
torontos finest
Exactly. It’s ridiculous.

are you more upset about my blanket statement about hockey players or that ian cole potentially groomed a teenager and a number of nhl players were aware of it?
9 oct. 2022 à 21 h 58
Go leafs go
are you more upset about my blanket statement about hockey players or that ian cole potentially groomed a teenager and a number of nhl players were aware of it?

Ian Cole is one of the players in the NHL out of several hundred. Using him to define the rest of the NHL is the literal definition of stereotyping.

And once again, why do you follow the NHL if you think all of the players are terrible people?
9 oct. 2022 à 22 h 1
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,293

Reactions like these are why that happens, when you’re anonymous, people can’t attack you and by creating a new twitter account, no one can personally attack you
zk97 a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 22 h 4
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Reactions like these are why that happens, when you’re anonymous, people can’t attack you and by creating a new twitter account, no one can personally attack you

I mean, the reaction isnt that bad. I just don't think stating it publicly is worth it. I don't believe anything until it's proven to be true. That doesn't mean I agree with anything that allegedly people do. But also I am not going to go an state the fact that I don't believe yet that this is true or not, I will wait and form my judgement based on information that comes out...pretty simple.
9 oct. 2022 à 22 h 6
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

I’m going to go with the “Blanket Statement”.

There is without question an issue with ALL professional athletes having a sense of entitlement and power over so called “regular people”.

What’s going in hockey presently is not synonymous with just this sport, take you pick of any sport that holds any athlete I’m high regard, and time will find some very unpleasant stories.

We literally just had Zach Hyman and Jack Campbell on the Leafs, two of the nicest people in the NHL.

What Ian Cole is accused of is terrible and needs to be investigated throughly.

But to say all hockey players are terrible people is a very bad take
A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 22 h 11
torontos finest
Ian Cole is one of the players in the NHL out of several hundred. Using him to define the rest of the NHL is the literal definition of stereotyping.

And once again, why do you follow the NHL if you think all of the players are terrible people?

Its becoming more and more apparent that this type of behavior is less and less out of the ordinary. From the youth to professional levels in all aspects of the game. It's not just Cole, its a kids on the national teams as well. You don't have two sexual assault funds if this isn't some abnormal thing.

I don't think it needs to be said but I clearly don't actually believe every hockey player is a terrible person because of their profession, but the culture they've been raised in clearly toxic and when these accusations come out, them and their teammates deserve absolutely no benefit of the doubt in the court of public opinion in regards to their innocence. Real change and progress isn't going to happen unless the players start making it aware of the gross actions of their teammates. Time to start putting pressure on the people where it matters.

If this continues as it is and we keep having former hockey players come on this forum and act like all is well, maybe it's time for me to put more time into my other hobbies.
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 22 h 13
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,293

I like this, it’s a good sign, Tampa could’ve just said we have seen the allegations and Ian Cole will still play but they decided to suspend him until we have a result (one could argue if it was a bigger name who had those allegations, the team would still play the, but oh well)
9 oct. 2022 à 22 h 13
torontos finest
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’m going to go with the “Blanket Statement”.

There is without question an issue with ALL professional athletes having a sense of entitlement and power over so called “regular people”.

What’s going in hockey presently is not synonymous with just this sport, take you pick of any sport that holds any athlete I’m high regard, and time will find some very unpleasant stories.

We literally just had Zach Hyman and Jack Campbell on the Leafs, two of the nicest people in the NHL.

What Ian Cole is accused of is terrible and needs to be investigated throughly.

But to say all hockey players are terrible people is a very bad take

See my other post for additional clarification.
9 oct. 2022 à 22 h 32
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,450
Its becoming more and more apparent that this type of behavior is less and less out of the ordinary. From the youth to professional levels in all aspects of the game. It's not just Cole, its a kids on the national teams as well. You don't have two sexual assault funds if this isn't some abnormal thing.

I don't think it needs to be said but I clearly don't actually believe every hockey player is a terrible person because of their profession, but the culture they've been raised in clearly toxic and when these accusations come out, them and their teammates deserve absolutely no benefit of the doubt in the court of public opinion in regards to their innocence. Real change and progress isn't going to happen unless the players start making it aware of the gross actions of their teammates. Time to start putting pressure on the people where it matters.

If this continues as it is and we keep having former hockey players come on this forum and act like all is well, maybe it's time for me to put more time into my other hobbies.

To further expand on these very poignant points, the Chicago Blackhawks covered up the sexual assault OF A TEAMMATE because winning was more important. It's not just women trying to get a bag from someone more fortunate. It's coaches. It's hazing. It's the silence from teammates and other players in the league. Racial slurs are still being thrown around haphazardly in youth hockey. Overpriveleged boys are still inappropriately leveraging their positions of "power" (popularity is worth its weight in gold during Jr. and Sr. High) on girls that can't say no due to incapacitation or fear. I'd even go as far as to wager that there are female hockey players and coaches who are just as awful, but because of how seriously the system refuses to take these reports, they don't make headlines.

Ignorance doesn't make this go away. It just means someone suffers silently. Just because you never saw your friends do it doesn't mean it can't happen. The world is a big place and the extents of our childhoods represent such a small portion of what actually goes on throughout North America.

I'm getting very tired of reiterating this point but this is a topic to be handled with the utmost respect. I don't agree with @mondo's guns-ablazing initial takes and really with he'd lead with the thought-out stuff first (and leave it at that). I'm equally disgusted by immediate claims of guilt as I am innocence based on the grounds of "but their Twitter account is only a month old". Everyone on this forum is capable of having adult conversations - I've seen it - so keep it civil.

Hockey is a bad place right now. But it needs to be. Its a great sport but the pain the community is going through is so very vital to ensuring that the sport remains as excellent to us as when we first laced up our skates or went to our first game. Hockey is for everyone, and if there are people within this community who are actively trying to take it away from others based on race, religion, orientation, or use their positions within hockey to bring harm onto others, then we as a community need to seriously step back and reevaluate what it is we truly love about the sport. Is it the game itself or the people we've been lead to believe are hockey themselves? Think about that for a bit.
zk97, KSIxSKULLS, MatthewsFan and 6 others a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 22 h 46
WentWughes

It continues
zk97 a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2022 à 22 h 55
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,439
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3695522

Random custom team I made because I was board