SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

3 oct. 2022 à 20 h 1
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,152
Quoting: aadoyle
I dont like the risk. Kuemper is 32 and we have no idea how well hes gonna age. He could turn into Bob or Gru 2.0

AKA 5mill x 5 years of pain (JC could have also been applied).

2 years of Murray is more tolerable as if hes bad this year pay to move him as 1 year is easier to move than 4. As if Kuemper of Campbell were bad man it would have been a headache for management and the fans.

If Im going for an older goalie Connor Hellybuyck is the guy I would risk as his style should age well. But honestly an man NYI fans gonna hate me I would look into Sorokin as I believe hes a UFA in 2 years

You act like it’s likely that Kuemper or Campbell would have just fell of a cliff had they signed in Toronto, and you are also forgetting that both of them are better than Murray. Murray has his pros but the point is to win now and a guy like Kuemper or Campbell would have helped better with that.

But no sense arguing over something that can’t be changed. I hope Murray ends up being the right choice. I just think they would have been smarter to look elsewhere.
3 oct. 2022 à 20 h 19
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,733
Modifié 3 oct. 2022 à 20 h 29
Quoting: Saskleaf
You act like it’s likely that Kuemper or Campbell would have just fell of a cliff had they signed in Toronto, and you are also forgetting that both of them are better than Murray. Murray has his pros but the point is to win now and a guy like Kuemper or Campbell would have helped better with that.

But no sense arguing over something that can’t be changed. I hope Murray ends up being the right choice. I just think they would have been smarter to look elsewhere.

I mean we have seen it time and time again teams give goalies big deals and sometimes yes it works but other times it looks really bad. Heck we witnessed it twice in Toronto

We saw it last year we signed Mrazek 3.8mill x 3 years utter disaster, Florida gives Bob 10mill, really bad idea, Seattle gives Gru 5.9mill, not looking good rn. Kumemper or JC could be the next opps. Like remember Campbell had over a 0.900sv for 1 month and then was almost unplayable and yes it was because of injury but what if it happened again

As for Campbell being better than Murray...No. Murray has the better resume and if he rebounds is the better goalie. Heck Murray was playing better than Jack after November lul. JC just became a borderline starter and while he can be good hes not the guy to rely on long term. Now prime Kuemper I will say is better but how long is he gonna be that as goalies dont always age well and Kuemper rn is 32 vs. Murray whose 28 and yes Murray could be bad but hey its only 2 years vs 4 or 5.
3 oct. 2022 à 20 h 24
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,202
Modifié 3 oct. 2022 à 20 h 33
Sorry, but it was objectively hilarious to hear everybody talk about what a monster Arber Xhekaj is only to have Robertson just be like "S'cuse me, I'm just gonna take that puck"
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 20 h 28
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: MatthewsFan
The only bad thing about the Murray deal was the Leafs not extracting a higher pick/prospect or more retention (or a 3rd team to retain) in the deal. I don’t mind the gamble on a guy who has won two cups. Goalies are voodoo

Bobrovsky won 2 Vezinas, why didn’t you take a gamble on him instead lol? Leafs fans will soon come to realize that winning 2 cups 5+ years ago means literally nothing, just as Sens fans have, and Pens fans before us lol. He’s been well below average for 3+ years. And yeah, the Leafs should’ve extracted a higher pick, because he’s making almost 5mil against your cap even with Ottawa retaining. That’s still low-end starter/1A money (think Lehner, Sorokin), which he hasn’t shown he can be since 18-19. Samsonov is a good gamble, because he’s young (with high pedigree), cheap, only on a one year deal, and a change of system could do him good. Murray is not a good gamble because he’s expensive, has 2 years remaining, and has been bad for 3 years on 2 different teams, plus he’s injury prone.
Well Murray is healthy Talbot is not and if Murray figures it out and puts up good numbers its a Toronto W. And if he doesnt we paid nothing for him so its still technically a Q

Either way its a better situation then not having a 1b for 7 weeks

If is the key word there lol. As mentioned above, he hasn’t been good for 3 years on 2 different teams. He’s had a shake-up that “motivated” him and still flopped again. And as soon as you rely on Murray staying healthy, you’ve already lost lol. You may have technically paid nothing for him in the trade (and actually acquired a pick), but the opportunity cost of using 5mil cap space and one of your 2 goalie slots on a guy that i not very likely to succeed is HUGE. Talbot is by far the better bet, because he’s been a relatively average goalie for several years (track record of being decent at worst, unlike Murray who has a track record of bring bad), is cheaper, and only has one year remaining, so you can pivot easily next summer if it doesn’t work out. If Murray magically reverts to his 2016-17 form, then yeah, it’ll be a W. But the odds of that happening are very low. You can’t assume the best case scenario, you have to look at the likely scenario, and the likely scenario is that he’ll be mediocre and probably get hurt once or twice.

Also on Talbot being hurt, that’s not that big of a deal, since I honestly like Forsberg more anyway, he was great for us last year (iirc he had a .917 sv% and was like 12th in GSAX). If Murray goes down, you’re relying on Samsonov, and you can ask Washington fans how they felt about their goalies last year lol. I think he’s a better bet than Murray, but there’s still no guarantee he becomes a good starter.
Saskleaf et yikes a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 20 h 36
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Sorry, but it was objectively hilarious to hear everybody talk about what a monster Arber Xhekaj is only to have Robertson just be like "S'cuse me, I'm just gonna take that puck"

Small is powerful
3 oct. 2022 à 20 h 44
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,293

Xhekaj is a monster, sens fans already hate him lol, as a wise man once said X(hekaj) gon’ give it to ya
zk97 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 20 h 49
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
Quoting: Alfie11
Bobrovsky won 2 Vezinas, why didn’t you take a gamble on him instead lol? Leafs fans will soon come to realize that winning 2 cups 5+ years ago means literally nothing, just as Sens fans have, and Pens fans before us lol. He’s been well below average for 3+ years. And yeah, the Leafs should’ve extracted a higher pick, because he’s making almost 5mil against your cap even with Ottawa retaining. That’s still low-end starter/1A money (think Lehner, Sorokin), which he hasn’t shown he can be since 18-19. Samsonov is a good gamble, because he’s young (with high pedigree), cheap, only on a one year deal, and a change of system could do him good. Murray is not a good gamble because he’s expensive, has 2 years remaining, and has been bad for 3 years on 2 different teams, plus he’s injury prone.

We have no idea how things are going to play out. I am certainly intrigued to see how Murray plays with a better team in front of him.
aadoyle et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 20 h 51
Hakuna Matata

Agreed, goalies can go either way. Murray has a good resume, these past 3 years have been tough but hopefully this is a new chapter in his career.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 14
Go leafs go
I mean we have seen it time and time again teams give goalies big deals and sometimes yes it works but other times it looks really bad. Heck we witnessed it twice in Toronto

We saw it last year we signed Mrazek 3.8mill x 3 years utter disaster, Florida gives Bob 10mill, really bad idea, Seattle gives Gru 5.9mill, not looking good rn. Kumemper or JC could be the next opps. Like remember Campbell had over a 0.900sv for 1 month and then was almost unplayable and yes it was because of injury but what if it happened again

As for Campbell being better than Murray...No. Murray has the better resume and if he rebounds is the better goalie. Heck Murray was playing better than Jack after November lul. JC just became a borderline starter and while he can be good hes not the guy to rely on long term. Now prime Kuemper I will say is better but how long is he gonna be that as goalies dont always age well and Kuemper rn is 32 vs. Murray whose 28 and yes Murray could be bad but hey its only 2 years vs 4 or 5.

There are also examples of players who came into their new teams and did well, like Markstrom, Riemer or Varlomov. And that’s not even counting resigned guys.

Also, leafs are in win NOW mode. Like win THIS SEASON mode. If they don’t win this season major changes will be coming. Kuemper or Campbell will probably be better this season than Murray.

And like I said, I hope Murray ends up being the right choice. It’s just very risky.
3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 16
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 23
There are also examples of players who came into their new teams and did well, like Markstrom, Riemer or Varlomov. And that’s not even counting resigned guys.

Also, leafs are in win NOW mode. Like win THIS SEASON mode. If they don’t win this season major changes will be coming. Kuemper or Campbell will probably be better this season than Murray.

And like I said, I hope Murray ends up being the right choice. It’s just very risky.

I mean Markstrom was awful year 1 and while he rebounded that second round matchup was where some questions came back. Reimer wasnt really good till he went to Carolina but I will give you Varlomov.
3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 22
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,442
FeMCl8xXgAIWFhk?format=png&name=small
MatthewsFan, yikes, EsoYeezus69 and 4 others a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 24
Go leafs go
I mean Markstrom was awful year 1 and while he rebounded that second round matchup was where some questions came in.

“Awful” and “rebounded”

Lol. He was a .904, which is bad, but I wouldn’t go as far as to say awful.

And then he was nominated for the Vesina the next year.

I would trade Murray for Markstrom in less then a heartbeat.
3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 37
Hakuna Matata
“Awful” and “rebounded”

Lol. He was a .904, which is bad, but I wouldn’t go as far as to say awful.

And then he was nominated for the Vesina the next year.

I would trade Murray for Markstrom in less then a heartbeat.

If we had to face Edmonton in the finals I wouldnt want Markstrom
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 39
I make typos
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991

another Holloway goal, and man is he ever a fun player to watch he is moving around the ice trying to make play and/or get open for a pass.
3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 40
I make typos
nvm
3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 47
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

coffee-approve.gif
oilersguy et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 48
Hakuna Matata

coffee-approve.gif

Its preseason yes but these are good signs as if he was being lit up like a Christmas tree there would be concerns
oilersguy a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 50
I make typos
Modifié 3 oct. 2022 à 21 h 57

coffee-approve.gif

Jack Campbell looking very good in his first real period in a Oilers jerseys. I know he played half the game vs. Calgary the other day but he only made a couple saves didn't see much action but tonight he has already made some pretty tough saves.
MatthewsFan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 22 h 13
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,202
Very encouraged by Robertson's play so far. Would be excellent for him to claim that 2LW spot. Fixes one of the biggest issues on the team for under a mil and and costs us zero assets.
MatthewsFan, Saskleaf et zk97 a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 22 h 14
Hakuna Matata
Very encouraged by Robertson's play so far. Would be excellent for him to claim that 2LW spot. Fixes one of the biggest issues on the team for under a mil and and costs us zero assets.

Hes made a very strong case to make the team and injecting youth into the lineup is never a bad thing
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 22 h 28
v5 Minnesota GM
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 4,682
Lehky with the only goals for Colorado
2 of em
🐐 🐐 🐐
3 oct. 2022 à 22 h 29
v5 Minnesota GM
Modifié 3 oct. 2022 à 22 h 37

coffee-approve.gif

And then you add against half Habs AHL team....
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 22 h 32
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
And then you add against Habs AHL team....

Habs AHL team has Drouin, Dach, Hoffman, Gallagher, Dvorak, Slav, Matheson and Monahan?

When did that happen
capsfan2121 et zk97 a aimé ceci.
3 oct. 2022 à 22 h 32
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
Lehky with the only goals for Colorado
2 of em
🐐 🐐 🐐

Am I allowed to say he's one of my top 5 breakout candidates this year or will that make you insufferable
3 oct. 2022 à 22 h 35
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: Alfie11
Am I allowed to say he's one of my top 5 breakout candidates this year or will that make you insufferable

He broke out last year

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage