SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Colorado Avalanche signed Nathan MacKinnon (8 Years / $12,600,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

20 sept. 2022 à 23 h 51
sen krak fan
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,516
Quoting: SevenLeg
Nice discount

Lol nice one
21 sept. 2022 à 0 h 20
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,695
Quoting: coga16
no matter what, a Hart winner and back to back Rocket Richard winner wont be going into UFA thinking he wont ask for more than a 1m raise. Despite what happens in the playoffs, hes getting well beyond 1m more aav to top 12.6m

I hate how right you are. He's also not been ashamed to ask for what he feels he's worth. I'm hoping for 14ish. I am actually hopeful this contract brings his ask down to the 14 range instead of 15+

Anyone who thinks this contract brings Matthews ask up, I think was way undercalling his likely ask
21 sept. 2022 à 0 h 53
Rejoint: août 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 24
This is a fine contract. Stop comparing this to McDavid. If McDavid were signing an extension this summer it would be worth more than $12.6- it’s all about timing with contracts, across all sports.

The Avs have their core locked up for a long time, and as the cap trickles up they’ll be able to extend others. They’ll be able to build around this core without a doubt- in no way is MacKs contract crippling or anything

Go Avs!
HockeyScotty et Internetkingz a aimé ceci.
21 sept. 2022 à 0 h 54
No regretzkys
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 389
Quoting: Babatunde
Beautiful contract and signed for 8 years while Matthews signed for 5 years

Matthews signed a 5 year deal out of his ELC. Mackinnon signed for 7 on his 2nd deal.
This is Mackinnons 3rd deal. Use relevant comparisons.
21 sept. 2022 à 1 h 19
No regretzkys
Quoting: Ritzy
Happy for Nate, players gotta make their money.

This doesn't look like the discount everyone was talking about.

Quoting: Sens_Sicko
Well... they're never winning again after this year LOL

Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Hometown boy for my Hometown team, but WOOF that's terrible

Quoting: mondo
bunch of people gonna be jumping over hoops to say this is team friendly is some way.

it's not. about what you'd expect him to make even with the cap expected to go up in the next few seasons.

Quoting: UpsideDownQue
Dang, thats more than I was expecting

Quoting: Nqutilus
I mean good deal considering he’s been on pace for 100+ points the past few seasons AND he’s our franchise center. Obviously not team friendly but considering he’s won his cup it makes sense for him to go for the money.

To anyone saying bad deal, what choice do we have? Let him walk in free agency? All things considered he probably could’ve gotten even more on the open market.

Quoting: CEO
What happened to his team-first mentality?

Though, for real, he is an amazing player. But not McDavid

Sorry but some of you guys don't have a clue what a good deal looks like for a player of this quality, with a rising cap...
Mackinnon could have easily got 14+ million from multiple teams. Taking 1.50-2m off his market value is a huge hometown discount. He easily left 12-16 million on the table over the course of this deal, compared to what he could have gotten.

You need to compare cap hit percentage, not just face value...
Otherwise you might as well say " 1 million dollars for a house?!?!? My Grandma bought her house for $50,000!"
Its all relative.

Cap hit percentages of star players when they signed:
Ovechkin - 18.96%
Crosby - 17.30%
Mcdavid - 16.67%
Malkin - 15.34%
Mackinnon - 15.27%
Toews/Kane - 15.22%

Mcdavid today at the same cap % would have a cap hit of $13,752,750
PenisMcNab, HockeyScotty, CEO and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
21 sept. 2022 à 1 h 26
No regretzkys
Quoting: CJets
Auston Matthews probably has a big smile on his face right now

If anything this would bring Matthews contract value down...
Random2152 a aimé ceci.
21 sept. 2022 à 1 h 37
No regretzkys
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
You're looking at his past to determine his future. History shows that he's already past his prime when the deal starts. On the bright side, the Cap is going to skyrocket so it won't be bad.

He isn't past his prime. He is in it.
Players like Mackinnon don't have the same performance curve of an average player.
This is not a player that will decline hard at 29/30...
Internetkingz a aimé ceci.
21 sept. 2022 à 7 h 21
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 7,634
Quoting: Internetkingz
I agree that McDavid is a few years younger - and they both do have different playing styles. I wouldn't say McDavid is light years ahead of him though. I don't think Panarin is a fair comparison that is undercutting him a bit. Also, the whole Wing vs center debate plays a factor.

Mcdavid, Matthews, Eichel, Point - accounting for age - games played etc might be better comparisons some a bit more than others

McDavid's current contract started when he was just 21. That's not at all a comp for MacKinnon's 28-35 contract. Panarin's deal runs through ages 27-34 - that is comparable.

Look at scoring in the past 2 years, too:
1. McDavid: 136, 77-151-228
10. Panarin: 117, 39-115-154
11. MacKinnon: 113, 52-101-153

McDavid is a vastly better player and his contract covers completely different ages, including 4 RFA years.
Internetkingz a aimé ceci.
21 sept. 2022 à 7 h 43
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 7,634
Quoting: MadLin27
Sorry but some of you guys don't have a clue what a good deal looks like for a player of this quality, with a rising cap...
Mackinnon could have easily got 14+ million from multiple teams. Taking 1.50-2m off his market value is a huge hometown discount. He easily left 12-16 million on the table over the course of this deal, compared to what he could have gotten.

Otherwise you might as well say " 1 million dollars for a house?!?!? My Grandma bought her house for $50,000!"
Its all relative.

Ovechkin - 18.96%
Crosby - 17.30%
Mcdavid - 16.67%
Malkin - 15.34%
Mackinnon - 15.27%
Toews/Kane - 15.22%

Wait - where can you get a house for just $1M??
21 sept. 2022 à 9 h 21
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169

Its all relative.

Ovechkin - 18.96%
Crosby - 17.30%
Mcdavid - 16.67%
Malkin - 15.34%
Mackinnon - 15.27%
Toews/Kane - 15.22%

15.27% of the cap on signing is not a discount.
21 sept. 2022 à 9 h 24
No regretzkys
Quoting: mondo
15.27% of the cap on signing is not a discount.

In this case, yes it is.
Context matters.
The cap is expected to raise significantly over the next few years and Mackinnon is one of the best in the world.
21 sept. 2022 à 10 h 0
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 46
This whole discussion makes me wonder how different the league would be (especially after the last few years of cap crunch) if players signed contracts based on cap% instead of actual dollar amounts. Would players sign for slightly lower amounts now knowing that if the cap goes up so does their salary? Would the league have dared drop the cap the full amount in the covid-shortened/bubble season or would there still be an escrow mess?

It would certainly make comparing player contracts signed in different eras easier, if nothing else... And GMs would have a lot fewer excuses for getting themselves into cap hell if the cap doesn't change the way they expected.
21 sept. 2022 à 13 h 20
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
He could have gotten more if he squeezed the Avs like Marner did the Leafs. This is fair though.
21 sept. 2022 à 15 h 4
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Quoting: CJets
Auston Matthews probably has a big smile on his face right now

I don't think this contract will have any impact on Matthews. Matthew's next contract discussion starts at him becoming the highest paid player in the league, and goes up from there. The new starting point of negotiations being $12.6M instead of $12.5M won't really change much. If anything, the dollar figure starting so close to McDavid's could create a bit stronger of an anchoring point for how the league values MVP caliber centers. It's not going to keep Matthews from surpassing Mackinnon's new contract, but it might have an impact on how much he passes it by.
21 sept. 2022 à 15 h 14
Quoting: BCAPP
I hate how right you are. He's also not been ashamed to ask for what he feels he's worth. I'm hoping for 14ish. I am actually hopeful this contract brings his ask down to the 14 range instead of 15+

Anyone who thinks this contract brings Matthews ask up, I think was way undercalling his likely ask

I'd say this is bang on. The Matthew's contract was always going to be more about determining how much he would become the highest paid player by, not whether or not he would. So the starting point for that conversation just went up by $100k, which is meaningless, and if anything, having the other two comparable centers in the NHL signed for such similar amounts could help anchor Matthews next contract closer to theirs.
BCAPP a aimé ceci.
21 sept. 2022 à 15 h 30
Well it's no sweetheart deal, but this is still good value for the Avs, and I think it was important they kept Mackinnon an Av for life, so good deal for both sides.

Contrary to what a lot of people suggest, I don't think Mackinnon intentionally left massive money on the table last time, I think he just took the guaranteed money after a semi-disappointing couple of seasons following a very good rookie campaign. It ended up being one of the best value deals in hockey, but it didn't look that way to start. The Avs invested in potential and got rewarded for the risk.

I do think it's important that this deal seems to acknowledge that Mack is amoung the very best players in the league and deserves to be paid like it, while keeping at a point where the team can be very competitive around him. Players of his caliber making big money isn't what kills a teams cap, it's the waste in the middle of the line up, and for the most part the Avs have been good at avoiding this, so they are going to be a contending team for quite a bit longer. Rantanen and Makar's deals are absolute steals right now, and outside of Manson's contract, they have a pretty tidy cap situation too.
jr400 a aimé ceci.
21 sept. 2022 à 17 h 4
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,554
He isn't past his prime. He is in it.
Players like Mackinnon don't have the same performance curve of an average player.
This is not a player that will decline hard at 29/30...

Im not sure you understand what the ageing curves actually say or even what a players prime is.

They absolutely apply to players like Mac. The only difference is the height they fall from so people who dont pay attention think age curves hit differently
21 sept. 2022 à 19 h 18
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,196
Highest paid player in the Nhl for 1 season, 22/23 season, than Auston Matthews will take that claim.
21 sept. 2022 à 23 h 57
No regretzkys
Quoting: Random2152
Im not sure you understand what the ageing curves actually say or even what a players prime is.

They absolutely apply to players like Mac. The only difference is the height they fall from so people who dont pay attention think age curves hit differently

I understand it fine.
Age curves aren't a rule. They are based on averages.
The high end players often are the guys that have a longer prime.
22 sept. 2022 à 3 h 53
Miss YA Killer
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,411
Quoting: Babatunde
Beautiful contract and signed for 8 years while Matthews signed for 5 years

Going to love seeing Mathews save Az
22 sept. 2022 à 9 h 10
Just Keep Swimming
I understand it fine.
Age curves aren't a rule. They are based on averages.
The high end players often are the guys that have a longer prime.

Theyre based off averages of related players. The comparison is to themselves, not to others.

So no, you dont understand ****
22 sept. 2022 à 10 h 14
to be banned soon
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 541
phew i was worried i was gonna make a kane for mackinnon acgm before the end of the year
22 sept. 2022 à 23 h 32
No regretzkys
Quoting: Random2152
Theyre based off averages of related players. The comparison is to themselves, not to others.

So no, you dont understand ****

Ok dude. Sorry you got so upset.
23 sept. 2022 à 8 h 1
Just Keep Swimming
Ok dude. Sorry you got so upset.

Not mad, just disappointed
23 sept. 2022 à 11 h 48
feelsbadman
Rejoint: oct. 2019