How Torontos offseason could have been handled differently

Créé par: sensonfire
Équipe: 2022-23 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 13 sept. 2022
Publié: 13 sept. 2022
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Shorter answer:

1. The Matt Murray/Petr Mrazek trades never happen.

2. Toronto finds a team that would take a guy like Holl or Kulikov for future considerations
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
1900 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
1750 000 $
Transactions
TOR
    1. The Matt Murray trade doesn't happen for a number of reasons:

---- Matt Murray is just as much of a cap dump as Petr Mrazek, if not more so, because Murray has a higher cap hit.

---- A 3rd round pick in 2023 and a 7th round pick in 2024 is not nearly enough compensation for taking on a cap dump as massive as Matt Murray.

---- For a cap strapped team like Toronto, they have no business taking on a cap dump of nearly 5 million for each of the next 2 years from a division rival like Ottawa.

---- The amount of compensation that other teams have been given for taking on smaller cap dumps this offseason has been a lot greater (i.e. Kassian, Nemeth, Monahan, etc).

---- The quality of goaltending from Matt Murray is barely any different than that of Petr Mrazek.

---- Matt Murray's success with the SOO Greyhounds from a decade ago on behalf of Toronto's current GM and Head Coach has no bearing on their success for the next 2 years at the NHL level.
    OTT
    1. Murray, Matt
    2. Choix de 3e ronde en 2023 (OTT)
    3. Choix de 7e ronde en 2024 (OTT)
    TOR
    1. Mrázek, Petr
    2. Rinzel, Sam [Liste de réserve]
    Détails additionnels:
    2. The Petr Mrazek trade doesn't happen for a number of reasons:

---- Petr Mrazek was only with Toronto for one season and like every other professional goaltender, he can always bounce back.

---- Mrazek can't get hurt during a game if he's just sitting on the bench as a backup goalie.

---- Whether it's Petr Mrazek, Matt Murray or someone else, backup goalies bring no on-ice value to a hockey team until they finally start playing for said hockey team.

---- After losing Jack Campbell to free agency, Toronto is better off rolling the dice on Ilya Samsonov as the starting goalie instead of Murray or Mrazek.

---- Given where Murray and Mrazek are in their careers, that's probably what Toronto will do with Samsonov anyway.

---- Toronto drafts whomever is the BPA at 25th overall, whether it's Sam Rinzel or someone else.

---- If you think that Fraser Minten is the BPA and that he will be available in the second round, you trade back and get an additional pick or two for either 2022 or 2023.

---- There are more important priorities than goaltending that Toronto needs to address.

---- More Important priorities like finding that one guy who can get you that 4th win in the first round of the playoffs and is as inexpensive as Nick Paul or Corey Perry.
    CHI
    1. Minten, Fraser [Liste de réserve]
    Détails additionnels:
    This is how Toronto's offseason could have been different:

Toronto keeps:

Petr Mrazek
    25th overall pick in 2022
    Between 800K and 900K in cap space over the next two years

Goaltending tandem of Samsonov/Mrazek where Samsonov eventually becomes the starting goalie

Toronto forgoes:

Matt Murray
    38th overall pick in 2022
    2023 3rd round pick from Ottawa
    2024 7th round pick from Ottawa

Goaltending tandem of Samsonov/Murray where Samsonov eventually becomes the starting goalie
    TOR
      Future Considerations
      Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
      2282 500 000 $81 993 116 $212 500 $0 $506 884 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
      Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
      950 000 $950 000 $
      AG
      UFA - 1
      11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
      C
      UFA - 2
      10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
      AD
      UFA - 3
      3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
      AG, C, AD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
      C, AG
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
      AD
      UFA - 2
      2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
      AD, AG
      UFA - 1
      1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
      C
      UFA - 1
      2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
      AD, C, AG
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      750 000 $750 000 $
      C, AD
      UFA - 1
      1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
      AD
      UFA - 1
      750 000 $750 000 $
      AG, AD
      UFA - 1
      Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
      7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
      DG
      NMC
      UFA - 8
      5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
      DG/DD
      NTC
      UFA - 2
      5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
      DG
      NTC
      UFA - 2
      1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
      DD
      RFA - 2
      1 800 000 $1 800 000 $
      G
      UFA - 1
      800 000 $800 000 $
      DG
      UFA - 2
      900 000 $900 000 $
      DG
      UFA - 2
      Logo de Blackhawks de Chicago
      3 800 000 $3 800 000 $
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
      900 000 $900 000 $
      AD, AG
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      750 000 $750 000 $
      DG/DD
      UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
      • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
      13 sept. 2022 à 12 h 39
      Ovchinnikov 137
      Rejoint: avr. 2019
      Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
      Not getting a 3rd team to retain and extra %50 on Murray was the real issue for me. That extra (2,343,750) would sure be nice right now. And since they don't seem to be anyway moving Kerfoot, bringing back Engvall at (2,250,000) seems unneccassy with they've added NAK, ZAR (possibly) and Jarnkrok.

That's a little over 4.5 mil you'd have to resign Sandin and still look at adding another player.

Those are the two moves I'd like to have changed in hindsight.
      sensonfire et JAKE6 a aimé ceci.
      13 sept. 2022 à 12 h 50
      Rejoint: mai 2019
      Mentions "j'aime": 7,353
      so, they're worse?
      if the leafs wanted to move holl for FC he'd be gone
      13 sept. 2022 à 12 h 53
      Let Him Cook
      Rejoint: juill. 2021
      Mentions "j'aime": 962
      Quoting: MatthewsFan
      Not getting a 3rd team to retain and extra %50 on Murray was the real issue for me. That extra (2,343,750) would sure be nice right now. And since they don't seem to be anyway moving Kerfoot, bringing back Engvall at (2,250,000) seems unneccassy with they've added NAK, ZAR (possibly) and Jarnkrok.

That's a little over 4.5 mil you'd have to resign Sandin and still look at adding another player.

Those are the two moves I'd like to have changed in hindsight.

engvall at 2m is also alot of money given his production, i understand hes a better scorer than kampf but overall they are very simliar and should be paid in the same range. 1.5M to 1.75, also kampf has a bigger role defensively running the first pk unit and being a +50% faceoff which engvall doesnt come close to
      sensonfire a aimé ceci.
      13 sept. 2022 à 12 h 57
      Démarrer sujet
      sensonfire
      Rejoint: févr. 2021
      Mentions "j'aime": 4,438
      Quoting: JaredOfLondon
      so, they're worse?
      if the leafs wanted to move holl for FC he'd be gone

In your opinion, how could it be better instead of worse?
      13 sept. 2022 à 13 h 3
      Quoting: sensonfire
      In your opinion, how could it be better instead of worse?

because Murray is better than Mrazek and Sandin cant play the right side, so the defence is worse
      13 sept. 2022 à 13 h 17
      we miss leo k
      Rejoint: févr. 2018
      Mentions "j'aime": 5,107
      I honestly think that it was overkill for them to sign Calle Jarnkrok, Pierre Engvall, AND NAK. They're all similar types of players - 3rd liners who contribute some offense but aren't going to be huge play drivers for you. That's $5.3M tied up in three guys that are all, for better or worse, Slightly Worse Alex Kerfoots. And now you're looking at dumping Kerfoot for nothing(or next to nothing if you're lucky) because you tied up all that cap space in them.
      sensonfire et drambui a aimé ceci.
      13 sept. 2022 à 13 h 19
      Démarrer sujet
      sensonfire
      because Murray is better than Mrazek and Sandin cant play the right side, so the defence is worse

My response to that is threefold:

1. Swapping Mrazek for Murray has done nothing but take up cap space.

2. https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-rasmus-sandin-comfortable-playing-right-side-needed/

3. You seem to prefer the status quo under Kyle Dubas et al.
      13 sept. 2022 à 13 h 23
      Let Him Cook
      Rejoint: juill. 2021
      Mentions "j'aime": 962
      jarnkrok was to assure our third line center has term imo, i think dubas knows kampf will be testing free agency to earn more $
      sensonfire et kingjrb92 a aimé ceci.
      13 sept. 2022 à 13 h 28
      My response to that is threefold:

1. Swapping Mrazek for Murray has done nothing but take up cap space.

2. https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-rasmus-sandin-comfortable-playing-right-side-needed/

3. You seem to prefer the status quo under Kyle Dubas et al.

1-Murray is a better goalie than Mrazek, so having mrazek there instead of murray makes the team worse.
      2-And Sandin's results at RD are terrible, he may be 'comfortable' there, but he is not good on the right side at all. Not to mention that Holl is actually a decent 4RD, so that also makes the team worse
      3-every fan of a team that is not trying to tank would prefer status quo then making the team worse, this might be confusing for a fan of a team that wont make the playoffs again
      13 sept. 2022 à 13 h 37
      Rejoint: févr. 2022
      Mentions "j'aime": 2,496
      i believe its hard to compare if this team would be better or worse than the current team, because the current team is unfinished i believe. they need to dump a contract to be cap compliant and sign sandin, once they do that and we'll know the term of new contract, it would be easier to compare those what ifs scenarios.
      sensonfire a aimé ceci.
      13 sept. 2022 à 13 h 41
      we miss leo k
      Rejoint: févr. 2018
      Mentions "j'aime": 5,107
      1-Murray is a better goalie than Mrazek, so having mrazek there instead of murray makes the team worse.
      2-And Sandin's results at RD are terrible, he may be 'comfortable' there, but he is not good on the right side at all. Not to mention that Holl is actually a decent 4RD, so that also makes the team worse
      3-every fan of a team that is not trying to tank would prefer status quo then making the team worse, this might be confusing for a fan of a team that wont make the playoffs again

just to play off your first point - which would you rather have:

1: 30 games of Matt Murray putting up a .905ish SV%, taking up $4.6875M this year and next, plus that 3rd & 7th Ottawa sent along;
      2: 30 games of Petr Mrazek putting up a .900ish SV%, taking up $3.8M this year and next, plus whatever assets you turned 25 OA into(better prospect, or trading back for multiple picks, as OP described)

Obviously this is assuming they let Samsonov take the ball and run with it as the starter. The difference between the 2 would be 4-5 goals over 30 games, but with an extra $900K in cap space available. And, of course, this presupposes a little bit of a bounce back from Mrazek, but he's a career .909 goalie who put up .888 last year - I don't think positive regression back towards .900 playing behind this Toronto team would be unheard of.

As far as the Sandin thing, I honestly feel like Dubas overplayed his hand here. I can't imagine he went into the offseason not knowing how Sandin felt and what his demands were going to be, and he then put himself in a corner where the only way he can make him fit is by sacrificing Alex Kerfoot and/or Justin Holl for nothing. It almost feels like the better move now is to trade him off for futures - I have a hard time figuring out how he fits on the 2022-23 Leafs, unless Jake Muzzin gets pancaked by a dump truck driver or something like that.
      sensonfire et NoVaSpartan a aimé ceci.
      13 sept. 2022 à 13 h 53
      Démarrer sujet
      sensonfire

1 ---- I might have a chance of believing you If you showed me a post of your's from before the Matt Murray trade where you said the same thing.

2 ---- https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021/10/29/sheldon-keefe-on-healthy-scratching-justin-holl/

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-have-questions-about-justin-holl/

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2022/03/01/rasmus-sandin-joins-morgan-rielly-on-the-leafs-top-defensive-pairing.html

3 ---- Having Sandin/Mrazek on your team instead of Holl/Murray is not exactly tanking or making the team worse.

If I wanted the Leafs to tank, I would have traded Nylander in this ACGM.

And you would be more confused and miserable than you are now.

Also, saying that Ottawa won't make the playoffs again after adding DeBrincat/Giroux/Joseph/Sanderson is a bit of a stretch.
      13 sept. 2022 à 14 h 44
      Quoting: dannibalcorpse
      just to play off your first point - which would you rather have:

1: 30 games of Matt Murray putting up a .905ish SV%, taking up $4.6875M this year and next, plus that 3rd & 7th Ottawa sent along;
      2: 30 games of Petr Mrazek putting up a .900ish SV%, taking up $3.8M this year and next, plus whatever assets you turned 25 OA into(better prospect, or trading back for multiple picks, as OP described)

Obviously this is assuming they let Samsonov take the ball and run with it as the starter. The difference between the 2 would be 4-5 goals over 30 games, but with an extra $900K in cap space available. And, of course, this presupposes a little bit of a bounce back from Mrazek, but he's a career .909 goalie who put up .888 last year - I don't think positive regression back towards .900 playing behind this Toronto team would be unheard of.

As far as the Sandin thing, I honestly feel like Dubas overplayed his hand here. I can't imagine he went into the offseason not knowing how Sandin felt and what his demands were going to be, and he then put himself in a corner where the only way he can make him fit is by sacrificing Alex Kerfoot and/or Justin Holl for nothing. It almost feels like the better move now is to trade him off for futures - I have a hard time figuring out how he fits on the 2022-23 Leafs, unless Jake Muzzin gets pancaked by a dump truck driver or something like that.

Id take the better goalie every time, the leafs arnt playing for 4-5 goals every 30 games, they're playing for 1 goal in a playoff game. Murray has been there and done that and mrazek has a 'may self destruct randomly ' feature.

As far as sandin goes, if he's too grumpy to earn his spot on the roster, that's him over playing his hand. Not dubas
      dannibalcorpse a aimé ceci.
      13 sept. 2022 à 14 h 48
      1 ---- I might have a chance of believing you If you showed me a post of your's from before the Matt Murray trade where you said the same thing.

2 ---- https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021/10/29/sheldon-keefe-on-healthy-scratching-justin-holl/

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-have-questions-about-justin-holl/

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2022/03/01/rasmus-sandin-joins-morgan-rielly-on-the-leafs-top-defensive-pairing.html

3 ---- Having Sandin/Mrazek on your team instead of Holl/Murray is not exactly tanking or making the team worse.

If I wanted the Leafs to tank, I would have traded Nylander in this ACGM.

And you would be more confused and miserable than you are now.

Also, saying that Ottawa won't make the playoffs again after adding DeBrincat/Giroux/Joseph/Sanderson is a bit of a stretch.

1-Go right ahead and show me where i said that mrazek is better than murray and a straight up swap makes the leafs better
      2-lol a hockey writters article and a star article. Way to ruin your own point
      3-yes it does make them worse.
      13 sept. 2022 à 15 h 27
      Démarrer sujet
      sensonfire
      1-Go right ahead and show me where i said that mrazek is better than murray and a straight up swap makes the leafs better
      2-lol a hockey writters article and a star article. Way to ruin your own point
      3-yes it does make them worse.

1 ---- That's not what I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is something you said before July 11th where you suggest that Murray is a better goalie than Mrazek.

Not whether the Leafs should make a straight up swap with the Sens that involves the two goalies.

The point of this is to determine how much credibility you have left.

2 ---- Since when do you make the rules on which articles ruin the points that trigger you?

3 ---- If there's one thing it makes worse, it's your hurt feelings.
      13 sept. 2022 à 15 h 31
      1 ---- That's not what I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is something you said before July 11th where you suggest that Murray is a better goalie than Mrazek.

Not whether the Leafs should make a straight up swap with the Sens that involves the two goalies.

The point of this is to determine how much credibility you have left.

2 ---- Since when do you make the rules on which articles ruin the points that trigger you?

3 ---- If there's one thing it makes worse, it's your hurt feelings.

1- so you arnt looking for something where i say mrazek would make the team worse than murray, but you're looking for something where i say mrazekis better than murray? Go nuts with that homie

2-since when do articles written by notoriously terrible hockey sites and writers mean anything?

3-you seem to be really focused on feelings right now, do you need some time to sort through yours so you can talk hockey like an adult?
      13 sept. 2022 à 15 h 47
      Démarrer sujet
      sensonfire
      1- so you arnt looking for something where i say mrazek would make the team worse than murray, but you're looking for something where i say mrazekis better than murray? Go nuts with that homie

2-since when do articles written by notoriously terrible hockey sites and writers mean anything?

3-you seem to be really focused on feelings right now, do you need some time to sort through yours so you can talk hockey like an adult?

1 ---- Matt Murray was an Ottawa Senator before July 11th.

He was traded to Toronto by Ottawa on July 11th.

There has been no NHL hockey since July 11th.

I've suggested that the only difference in value between Murray and Mrazek is their cap hit.

You've suggested multiple times in this thread that Murray is better than Mrazek.

I'm asking you to show me something you said or wrote before July 11th where you suggested Murray is better than Mrazek.

You know exactly what I'm asking for.

It's a very simple task.

There is no need to twist my words.

Your credibility is on the line.

There's no sense in responding to your other two points if you have no credibility left.
      13 sept. 2022 à 15 h 52
      1 ---- Matt Murray was an Ottawa Senator before July 11th.

He was traded to Toronto by Ottawa on July 11th.

There has been no NHL hockey since July 11th.

I'm of the opinion that the only difference in value between Murray and Mrazek is their cap hit.

You've suggested multiple times in this thread that Murray is better than Mrazek.

I'm asking you to show me something you said or wrote before July 11th where you suggested exactly that.

You know exactly what I'm asking for.

It's a very simple task.

There is no need to twist my words.

Your credibility is on the line.

There's no sense in responding to your other two points if you have no credibility left.

Bro, do your own homework, im not putting in the leg work so your feelings can feel heard.
      My credibility doesnt hinge on your self satisfying nonsense.
      And of course you arnt gonna respond, defending using the toronto star and the hockey writers is impossible and you know it.
      13 sept. 2022 à 16 h 1
      Démarrer sujet
      sensonfire
      Bro, do your own homework, im not putting in the leg work so your feelings can feel heard.
      My credibility doesnt hinge on your self satisfying nonsense.
      And of course you arnt gonna respond, defending using the toronto star and the hockey writers is impossible and you know it.

According to you, Matt Murray is better than Petr Mrazek.

But you can't point out to me where you said that when Murray was an Ottawa Senator.

Even though there has been no NHL hockey since we traded Murray to your favourite team, the Toronto Maple Leafs.

There's no point in searching for something that I won't be able to find from you.

Your credibility is gone.
      13 sept. 2022 à 16 h 10
      According to you, Matt Murray is better than Petr Mrazek.

But you can't point out to me where you said that when Murray was an Ottawa Senator.

Even though there has been no NHL hockey since we traded Murray to your favourite team, the Toronto Maple Leafs.

There's no point in searching for something that I won't be able to find from you.

Your credibility is gone.

according to you Mrazek is better than Murray, yet you cant point out a single instance before July 22nd, 2020 where you said that. Clearly your credibility is gone.
      13 sept. 2022 à 16 h 38
      Démarrer sujet
      sensonfire
      according to you Mrazek is better than Murray, yet you cant point out a single instance before July 22nd, 2020 where you said that. Clearly your credibility is gone.

I just did in this ACGM.

Mrazek is only better than Murray because he has a lower cap hit over the next two years.

Other than that, they would both have no future on the Leafs other than as a backup for Samsonov or as a placement on LTIR.

And blurting out some random date from 2 years ago doesn't make you any less flustered.

You have two choices.

1) Show me where you said Murray is better than Mrazek before Ottawa traded Murray to Toronto

or

2) Continue fibbing like a fibbing fibber with your next comment.

It's up to you, bigshot.
      13 sept. 2022 à 17 h 2
      I just did in this ACGM.

Mrazek is only better than Murray because he has a lower cap hit over the next two years.

Other than that, they would both have no future on the Leafs other than as a backup for Samsonov or as a placement on LTIR.

And blurting out some random date from 2 years ago doesn't make you any less flustered.

You have two choices.

1) Show me where you said Murray is better than Mrazek before Ottawa traded Murray to Toronto

or

2) Continue fibbing like a fibbing fibber with your next comment.

It's up to you, bigshot.

Mrazek isnt better than Murray by any standard as worse players are most often cheaper than better ones. Murray had better numbers, sv%, WAR, high danger sv%, goals saved above expected and many many more.
      So yeah, id say he's a better goalie, and you'd know that if you put any effort into it at all.
      Now your options are you can provide anything other than whining about some comment that may or may not exist from me or you can just acknowledge your idea is terrible and easily disproved.
      it's up to you, big shot
      13 sept. 2022 à 17 h 16
      Démarrer sujet
      sensonfire
      Mrazek isnt better than Murray by any standard as worse players are most often cheaper than better ones. Murray had better numbers, sv%, WAR, high danger sv%, goals saved above expected and many many more.
      So yeah, id say he's a better goalie, and you'd know that if you put any effort into it at all.
      Now your options are you can provide anything other than whining about some comment that may or may not exist from me or you can just acknowledge your idea is terrible and easily disproved.
      it's up to you, big shot

So, you've chosen option #2 by continuing to fib like a fibbing fibber.

Good to know.

Thank you and have a nice day.
      13 sept. 2022 à 17 h 18
      So, you've chosen option #2 by continuing to fib like a fibbing fibber.

Good to know.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Yeah, just like i thought, you have nothing and are too big of a coward to face it and the moment you realized you cant wriggle out of it by chasing some phantom quote you bailed.
      14 sept. 2022 à 15 h 43
      Hakuna Matata
      Rejoint: févr. 2020
      Mentions "j'aime": 20,878
      Modifié 14 sept. 2022 à 15 h 51
      The thing with Mrazek vs Murray is the injuries

Mrazek suffered 3 groin injuries while Murray got Covid then run over by Zaitsev causing a concussion and LBI

3 groin injuries to me signals this guys maybe done next year while if the Leafs protect Murray should get 40 games out of him. Just pray Zaitsev doesnt decide to do a barrel run

In general Murray is very familiar with most of the guys at MLSE and if there's one team who could probs get something out of him its Toronto. As familiarity can often bring out the best in someone. But in general Leafs finished 4th with Campbell having one good month and Mrazek being **** to the point of Kallgren kicking him out lul. If Murray and Sammy do avg goaltending then I see Toronto finishing exact same or heck potentially better.

But in general I see him being better than Mrazek was for us
      sensonfire a aimé ceci.

Répondre
      To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
      Question:
      Options:
      Ajouter une option
      Soumettre le sondage