SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Buffalo Sabres signed Tage Thompson (7 Years / $7,142,857 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

23 nov. 2022 à 5 h 55
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
Many great comments.

First, in general big players do take longer to develop.
Second, Thompson started demonstrating his talent as early as 2018-'19 when he scored 14 goals in 27 AHL games over two seasons including playoffs.
Third, Krueger was a terrible coach. Miller, Skinner, Okposo, Sheary, Rodrigues, Montour, et al had career worse seasons playing for him.
Fourth, when Granato became head coach at the end of 2020-'21 Tage was put on a line with Mittelstadt and Asplund and responded with 7 goals over the final 20 games.
Fifth, Tuch was a huge factor to driving both Skinner and Tage to higher levels. Pre-Tuch Skinner and Tage were on pace for 25 and 30 goals, post-Tuch that jumped to 40 and 48 respectively.
Six, while his shooting percentage improved last year, in the previous seasons he was aiming at the goalies crest. This past season many of his shots were wide or hit iron, because he was aiming for the corners, LOL he learned how to score.
Finally, since this an extension, think of this as an 8 year contract. $1,400,000 for the first year then $50,000,000 for the next seven $6,425,000 for eight years will appear to be a bargain if he can average 30 goals for the next 5 years.

MY BIG BOLD PREDICTION FOR NEXT YEAR, WE WILL THINK $50,000,000 IS A BARGAIN

EDIT:
After Kyrou signed his $65 million ($8.125 AAV) contract, this is looking like a bargain.
They are the same age, and drafted the same year.
Jordan played with Schenn, Thomas, Tarasenko, Buchnevich and O’Reilly to help him reach his career high 27 goals.
Thompson's contract is looking good from where I am sitting after scoring a career high 38 goals.

Absolutely one of the best contracts in the NHL only 20 games in.
gretzkyghosts et wojme a aimé ceci.
23 nov. 2022 à 6 h 37
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,797
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Absolutely one of the best contracts in the NHL only 20 games in.
I was a fan of Tage when the trade was made.
"First, in general big players do take longer to develop."
Look at voting, how few liked the deal!
It is not just his goal production but he skates extremely well and passes even better.
While he is riding a hot streak he is on pace to break 100 pts. First Sabre since Pat LaFontaine.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
23 nov. 2022 à 10 h 26
Leafs Sufferer
Mentions "j'aime": 3,511
Thompson is certainly making this contract look like a bargain early on.
BuFfaLOFaN et gretzkyghosts a aimé ceci.
23 nov. 2022 à 13 h 5
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
I was a fan of Tage when the trade was made.
"First, in general big players do take longer to develop."
Look at voting, how few liked the deal!
It is not just his goal production but he skates extremely well and passes even better.
While he is riding a hot streak he is on pace to break 100 pts. First Sabre since Pat LaFontaine.

Yea, both of the sabres long contracts this year where voted bad and both look greatm
gretzkyghosts a aimé ceci.
8 déc. 2022 à 7 h 21
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 538
This is the new MacKinnon-level bargain contract moving forward.
What a steal for the Sabres, great job by management signing Tage long term.
palhal a aimé ceci.
8 déc. 2022 à 22 h 11
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,636
The poll question asked "Was it a good signing". (Yes or No). No to both, looks like a great signing by the Sabres.

I guess folks might say, Thompson should not signed for "so little" long term. But sometimes a player relaxes (for the good) when he know he lifetime security. Good for Thompson and the Sabres.
8 déc. 2022 à 22 h 33
torontos finest
Mentions "j'aime": 11,191
Quoting: palhal
The poll question asked "Was it a good signing". (Yes or No). No to both, looks like a great signing by the Sabres.

I guess folks might say, Thompson should not signed for "so little" long term. But sometimes a player relaxes (for the good) when he know he lifetime security. Good for Thompson and the Sabres.

Talked to a Sabres fan after this signing to get a bit more context on it and it sounds the optics weren't so much "overpay after one season" but "set the tone for our team's culture". After Eichel, the team really needs to refocus it's culture and guys like Thompson are obviously going to be a big part of that. Looked like it was a better move to bank on him growing out from this season with a hefty contract and setting the tone for the rest of their players rather than potentially waiting and having it become an arbitration mess. There's still a long way to go on this deal considering it hasn't kicked in yet, but he hasn't regressed from last season at all and if he keeps up this pace it'll be a steal.

Also Kruger not being the coach anymore has helped.
palhal a aimé ceci.
8 déc. 2022 à 22 h 47
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,636
Quoting: mondo
Talked to a Sabres fan after this signing to get a bit more context on it and it sounds the optics weren't so much "overpay after one season" but "set the tone for our team's culture". After Eichel, the team really needs to refocus it's culture and guys like Thompson are obviously going to be a big part of that. Looked like it was a better move to bank on him growing out from this season with a hefty contract and setting the tone for the rest of their players rather than potentially waiting and having it become an arbitration mess. There's still a long way to go on this deal considering it hasn't kicked in yet, but he hasn't regressed from last season at all and if he keeps up this pace it'll be a steal.

Also Kruger not being the coach anymore has helped.

You're right about "culture". Sabres seem to signing guys they want to long term deals. Now they Tuch, (well Tuch was signed by Vegas) Thompson, Samuelsson, Dahlin, and maybe more to come. Look at the jump New Jersey made this year, Sabres just might be very good, soon.

On a somewhat different note, maybe the Leafs are going through a culture change. All these injuries to Dmen. Not a panic trade at all. Just play the guys you have more. Timmins obtained fore a 4th line Marlie....even he has contributed.
Maybe the Leafs just go with the players they have without an TDL additions...well maybe there in case of injury there is a trade. Seems to a lot of trust in this group by the GM, coaches, and players.
20 déc. 2022 à 8 h 23
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,752
I can admit I was dead wrong on this guy.
Funksoljah et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
21 déc. 2022 à 16 h 33
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,471
Quoting: Trickster
I can admit I was dead wrong on this guy.

I’m glad he proved us wrong
23 janv. 2023 à 17 h 44
pld apologist
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 22
i understand the full beauty of hindsight reading this thread

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage