SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Buffalo Sabres signed Tage Thompson (7 Years / $7,142,857 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

31 août 2022 à 1 h 29
buffalofan
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 172
I am thinking there is a regression coming but hopefully just to be 30 goals 60 points guy. if cap goes up in next 8 years witch they are saying it will then thats a health 2nd line center wage. i would have bridged personally as hes never been above 20 points in previous seasons, but i am just a agm.
31 août 2022 à 1 h 37
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,923
Quoting: DrDinkiee
Steep price to pay. But Buffalo can afford it at this time. May also be the Buffalo Sabre tax.

Standard operating price for a guy coming off 38 goals. I don't like the contract, but it's not like they overpaid. Just risky since this past year was an outlier and he was still under contract this year.
31 août 2022 à 1 h 43
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 728
This may be risky but i have a feeling that it will work nicely for the sabres.
31 août 2022 à 2 h 59
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Gonna wait a year before saying if it's good or has as if he continues from where he left off it's good. If he falls it's bad
Trickster a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 4 h 45
Rejoint: août 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,226
40 pts in first 130-140 games and goes from 1.4mil to 7mil after a single good season? Wow, thats insane.

Just because BUF has the space/money, doesnt mean you just overpay, how do you go from 1.4mil after a single good season to 7mil?

Wowza, I was thinking a 3.8mil-4.5mil deal was likely.

Okposo, Skinner, Thompson....insane.
Trickster et Shibbal18 a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 6 h 31
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,744
No team should ever pay a player after 1 good season especially when the player has track record of not being good.

I guess they were gonna shed the Okposo contract next season and needed to replace it????
Shibbal18 a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 6 h 55
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,562
Modifié 31 août 2022 à 8 h 42
Tage had more goals last year then he had career points and saw his S% be 217% higher than his career average. This will with end up being a incredibly smart or incredibly stupid signing
Dahlin_On_Me et Shibbal18 a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 7 h 35
Not yet trannycided
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,012
I actually don't mind this contract. It's insanely risky, but it could pay off even if Thompson's shooting percentage drops a little. Remember, the Draisaitl deal was seen as super risky at the time too, and it paid off. While Thompson is nowhere near as good as Drai, it still reminds me of that situation.

In short, this deal will look either really good or really bad by the time it's done.
gretzkyghosts et Dahlin_On_Me a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 8 h 9
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,797
Quoting: Dahlin_On_Me
GMKA must have a lot of faith in Tage...I’ve always liked Thompson even when other Sabres buddies thought he was a bum...I think it’s a calculated risk signing, we’ll need 3 years to probably properly evaluate it.
Quoting: jonnymc26
I am thinking there is a regression coming but hopefully just to be 30 goals 60 points guy...
Quoting: OrganizedConfusion55
Standard operating price for a guy coming off 38 goals...
Quoting: oilersfan150
This may be risky but i have a feeling that it will work nicely for the sabres.
Quoting: aadoyle
Gonna wait a year before saying if it's good or has as if he continues from where he left off it's good. If he falls it's bad
Quoting: Hammerwise
40 pts in first 130-140 games and goes from 1.4mil to 7mil after a single good season? Wow, thats insane...
Quoting: Trickster
No team should ever pay a player after 1 good season especially when the player has track record of not being good...
Quoting: EmpressKayla
I actually don't mind this contract...
Think of this as an 8 year contract. $1,400,000 for the first year then $50,000,000 for the next seven $6,425,000 for eight years will appear to be a bargain if he can average 30 goals for the next 5 years.
More important, this was a tale of two seasons, pre Tuch v post Tuck:
Skinner pre Tuch 30 games 9 goals, 8 assists, 17 pts; post Tuch 50 games 24 goals, 22 assists, 46 pts.
Thompson pre Tuch 27 games 10 goals, 8 assits, 18 pts; post Tuck 48 games 28 goals, 22 assists, 50 pts.
While Skinner and Thompson were off and running, projecting their early performance over 82 games to 25 and 30 goals respectively.
But post Tuch they are running at nearly a point a game with their goal production over 82 games projected at 40 and 48 goals respectively.

MY BIG BOLD PREDICTION FOR NEXT YEAR, WE WILL THINK $50,000,000 IS A BARGAIN
Dahlin_On_Me, OrganizedConfusion55, oilersfan150 and 5 others a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 8 h 57
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
6hxebj.jpg

Well, he has me convinced
gretzkyghosts et Zwui21 a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 9 h 8
Evans truther
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,432
1 season over 10 goals and he gets the bag... Sell low, buy high is the modo in Buffalo it seems.
Shibbal18 a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 9 h 27
feelsbadman
Rejoint: oct. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 88
Everyone is not taking into consideration that Tage is a Big Beefy Boy , Beefy Boy = Beefy Bag
gretzkyghosts a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 9 h 53
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 7,634
Quoting: TheBoyDuddus
To be fair Draisaitl only had one full season with McDavid before signing his contract. But Edmonton was really devoid of talent outside of Eberle and Draisaitl signed in his D+3 season vs Thompson in his D+6 season.. Take is he signed his deal in 2017 but hes only two years older than Tage lol. All that to say there really is no comparison to be made at all for player or contract.

Correct, Draisaitl was just 21 when he signed that deal. A 21 year old who has scored 48 goals and 128 points in his past 2 seasons is worth a LOT more than a 24 year old who has scored 46 goals and 82 points in his past 2 seasons.

AND the Draisaitl contract was considered an overpay at the time, similar players were getting around the $7M mark. It's only because Draisaitl raised his game year after year that his contract is considered a steal, as it wasn't at the time.

Pastrnak would be a closer comparison.
Hammerwise et Trickster a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 9 h 54
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 539
Quoting: Dahlin_On_Me
I’d rather risk it on a kid then a declining UFA like Kadri. No offence meant to Kadri but my point is his best years are probably behind him not ahead of him like Thompson

Kadri's not declining, but it's an interesting comparison. The contracts are similar, both around 7x$7M, and both players are coming off standout seasons. Which player is more likely to give good value for the contract?

The most obvious difference is their ages. Kadri’s contract starts when he’s 32. Thompson’s ends when he’s 32. Another difference though is that while both of them just had the best season of their career so far, Thompson’s was totally unprecedented for him. He jumped from 8 goals to 38. Even if you pro-rate the 8-goal season, he more than doubled his previous best. It took him 5 years to get there, and while some players are late bloomers, most are at least getting close to their full potential by the time they’re 24.

Kadri went from a previous best of 61 points to 87, but he had a couple of 30-goal seasons in Toronto before getting dropped down to third line after they signed Tavares, and he had an impressive playoff run for Colorado in 2020. So while Kadri is obviously the bigger risk in terms of age, based on their body of work Thompson appears to be the least proven of the two.

So which one do I think is better? They’re both a little too risky for my liking (though admittedly, some of that risk is factored into the AAV, which will be a bargain if they continue to produce like last season), but it depends on the team’s situation. Kadri’s contract would make no sense for Buffalo, but I think it’s probably more likely to give Calgary what they expect (I’m sure they don’t expect much in the last half of it) than Thompson’s.
31 août 2022 à 10 h 9
Rejoint: août 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,226
I think its difficult to projevct Thompson based on last season alone. And while not fair to judge on his first 2 yrs in different programs with a limited role/linemates, but I find it unconceivable based on last year alone that he goes from 1.4mil to 7mil.

Really its more about BUF having the funds to offer that, because thats a huge uplift for a guy whos never come close to that peformance, and is rather one dimensional/poor defensively. And Kadri is a poor comparison as he has a long history, and while Kadri is probably not the 80-90 pt guy of last year, hes LONG shown to be a 50ish pt player.

Again I think its more to do with BUF's ability to pay him and for him to get more minutes on a weak team, with its best offensive performers to deliver those stats. I just think 4-5.25mil for 3 or 4 yrs was a better/wiser and more appropriate figure.
31 août 2022 à 10 h 20
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 685
It's funny how people think this is bad, but so many thought Suzuki was a great contract.

7.8Mx8 for a 15 goal season is great

7.1Mx7 for a 38 goal season is an overpay
Dahlin_On_Me, OrganizedConfusion55, AudioCats and 2 others a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 11 h 39
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,426
Quoting: DongLord23
It's funny how people think this is bad, but so many thought Suzuki was a great contract.

7.8Mx8 for a 15 goal season is great

7.1Mx7 for a 38 goal season is an overpay

You're leaving a lot of information out
Suzuki is better than Thompson defensivly and has a better track record. Suzuki put up two 40 point seasons prior to him earning the contract. Thompson had 3 poor years before his 1 breakout year. Thompson has a higher ceiling but the floor is significantly lower.
Trickster et Hammerwise a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 12 h 2
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 685
Quoting: Devil
Suzuki is better than Thompson defensivly and has a better track record. Suzuki put up two 40 point seasons prior to him earning the contract. Thompson had 3 poor years before his 1 breakout year. Thompson has a higher ceiling but the floor is significantly lower.

Tage was much better offensively though. Had a .15 better PPG & a .23 better G/PG.

PPG

Suzuki

2020/21: .58
2021/22: .73

Tage

2020-2021: .37
2020-2021: .46 (under Granato in 2020-2021)
2021-2022: .87

Both got paid off a breakout year. Tage's breakout year was better than Suzuki's breakout year.
Dahlin_On_Me et gretzkyghosts a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 12 h 25
NoQuitInNewYork
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 743
To much risk here
Shibbal18 a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 12 h 52
Let's go Pens!
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 382
One great season and a he gets such contract? I can't see Thompson deserving more than this AAV. But I can see him deserving much less. One season is never enough to get such contract. I'll never do that. We'll see...
Trickster et Shibbal18 a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 13 h 37
Quoting: Trickster
No team should ever pay a player after 1 good season especially when the player has track record of not being good.

I guess they were gonna shed the Okposo contract next season and needed to replace it????

Nah they were just following suit with what st Louis was doing.
31 août 2022 à 13 h 42
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Maybe, maaaaybe (big maybe), he lives up to this contract, but he sure as sh*t won’t ever outplay it. I really like Kevyn Adams, but this was a horrid move

No offense man, you sound like someone who hasn't been paying attention to hockey since the cap.

His contract will be the 74th biggest hit starting next year. From now until next season, how many players sign extentions for a bigger cap hit? That will drop his hit even lower than 74th. Last year he finished 54th in scoring. So even if he dips, he will still be producing to the level of his contract.

38 goal scoring center. Yeah, a little over 7 million is nowhere near an overpayment in today's NHL.
Dahlin_On_Me et gretzkyghosts a aimé ceci.
31 août 2022 à 13 h 43
Quoting: Devil

You're leaving out a lot of information though. Like how much better Tage is than Suzuki.
31 août 2022 à 13 h 45
Quoting: yikes
i literally said oh my god outloud..

Burns, Karlsson, vlasic, couture....should I go on? Lmao, shark fans making fun of contracts. Well hello little kettle, it's me, pot, I've missed our talks.
31 août 2022 à 13 h 51
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,816
Quoting: OrganizedConfusion55
Burns, Karlsson, vlasic, couture....should I go on? Lmao, shark fans making fun of contracts. Well hello little kettle, it's me, pot, I've missed our talks.

Did such a comment really bother you that much you’re going to bring up irrelevant information lol?

Did my comment say “wow tage thompson contract is so much worse than Vlasic (no, Vlasic is the worst contract in the league), it’s so much worse than Karlsson (no, Karlsson is immensely overpaid, and declined far more than most experts anticipated), it’s much worse than Burns (Burns is on Carolina, was barely overpaid at 8, and at a current 5m AAV he is definitely a better AAV than Thompson currently unless Thompson can build upon last season), it’s so much worse than Couture (no, Couture isn’t worth 8 compared to other 8’s in the league)?”

Get off your high horse. You look embarrassing lol.
Trickster et gretzkyghosts a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage