There's a lot of assumptions to go through here;
- What was Montreal suppose to do when everyone was injured/Covid? You have 50 contract slots and can't just go out and sign a bunch of dudes mid season cause you feel like it.
- Why would the job be his instead of Monty? He had a great playoff run in Laval but had a 4.62 GAA in Montreal ... How does this number warrant that the job is his? The defense won't be much better this year so if he gets the job he's once again sent to the wolves.
- Vrbetic is heading to Trois-Rivière after being signed to a two-way AHL contract, Poulin showed to be a very good goalie/mentor to help Laval/Primeau so we needed a replacement with the Lions.
- Montreal owns Dobes' rights until 2025 so there is no rush to bring him as soon as next year especially considering goalies have a slower dev curve.
-Covid lockdown rules have been modified its more like 5 days now if you test positive and 3 if you dont . Its only logical to assume the NHL will have similar standards . Your Failure was assuming if we have Covid restrictions that they will be identical to years past. They were only so strict so they could appease both nations for international travel related reasons and both countries backed off saying "at some point we need to learn to live with it"
-Jobs his because you dont leave him in the minors to develop as a starter to bring him up to play back up. Its kinda frustrating such a thing needs to be pointed out especially when Monty can make 50 saves in a night and still lose cause he only gets dialed in after 2-3 goals go in. I mean calling him a back up is generous and he had the chance to gain momentium that Primeau did not on his cold starts in the NHL. Primeau's biggest draw back is he starts out each year with a spotty record in laval but come November he's focused and after Christmas Break he's unstoppable.
The fact that he went to ECF game 7 with half an AHL team and the rest a mix of ECHL and Junior players says it all for me.
Even with Norlinder playing Center as stop gap until the Junior call ups cleared our team did extremely well holding it down for Primeau.
The key? If you looked at Primeau funny 5 guys collapsed around you and pushed you out of his crease .
He took care of the shots and his team took out the Trash Men looking for Garbage goals (where he admittably struggled at the NHL level)
Unlike Price he hadnt learned to pick a Pitbull yet as Price always had someone controlling traffic infront of him from Gorges to Murray ,Benn to Chiarot
Those Gentlemen didnt need to start fights to play the Rodeo Clown taking the attention of opposing teams off the goalie and onto them.(Fairbrother & Condotta played those roles for F/D groups.)
-Poulin scored a goal on himself to open camp last year and has been kinda a joke ever since. There's a reason he was sent to the ECHL and only got called up after Primeau got the call up where he remained in a 3 way split Mcniven/Primeau. Come Playoffs they gave Poulin game 1 for holding down the fort while Primeau was in MTL and he blew it leaving Primeau 14 straight starts . This isnt a kid either this is a 32 year old NHL and AHL Veteran who reminded us why he scored a goal on himself at camp blowing his final shot at a top Pro League (Pressure is too much for a guy like that)
-Vrbetic will start as Poulin is a joke we hired to eat crap and smile. While giving Vrbetic more minutes with the lions makes sense its based on the flawed Premise the Primeau wont start.
Primeau's sitting out right now refusing to sign for this very reason as he's not going back to Laval if he has anything to say about it
- MTL owning his rights has little to do with it Dobes. Like Primeau he went into the league a top 10 goalie with similar finishes outside Primeau didnt share ROY he was ROY. But like Primeau i think he'll win the Mike Richter award his 2nd year in NCAA then leave. They've got nothing more to offer him and for a Goalie Conditioning and an NHL like Road Schedule is what they need to take the next step forward if they plan on being NHL Starters. My Point is people like you were wrong about Primeau waiting 4 years and you're wrong about Dobes because both we on teams that would never compete for a NCAA title making them staying despite being ranked as a top NCAA Goalie completly pointless in every sense of the word
Its like leaving your invest in the bank after your fixed interest rate you locked in at ended with no further promise of payment.
It doesnt hurt to leave them there , sure but its certainly doesnt help it grow either . . .