Forums/Armchair-GM

MacKinnon as the highest paid guy

Créé par: HockeyScotty
Équipe: 2023-24 Avalanche du Colorado
Date de création initiale: 10 août 2022
Publié: 10 août 2022
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
The Avs cap crunch for next year is highly speculative and leads to a lot of "Trade Girard" talk. I think they can make it work with only losing JT Compher (UFA).
Let's find out...
There are some reports coming out that Nate wants to be the NHL's highest paid player. The source is Adrian Dater who is a "former" beat writer for the Avs with ColoradoHockeyNow and has morphed into a hybrid journalist/clickbaiter. Basically meaning take this with a grain of salt. It could be a plant from his agent, could be legit, or could be just "I need views on my site".
We'll oblige for the purposes of this ACGM and give MacK a bigger AAV than Connor McDavid (he does have a Cup now, you know).
RFA deals for Bo Byram, Alex Newhook, Ben Meyers (projected bottom-6 player), and roster hopeful Sampo Ranta also fall into this timeline.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
23 500 000 $
2950 000 $
2975 000 $
2975 000 $
44 000 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
812 800 000 $
1900 000 $
1775 000 $
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2283 500 000 $84 050 833 $637 500 $0 $-550 833 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Avalanche du Colorado
7 000 000 $7 000 000 $
AG, C
NMC
UFA - 6
12 800 000 $12 800 000 $
C
UFA - 8
6 125 000 $6 125 000 $
AD, AG
NMC
UFA - 7
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
AG, AD
NTC
UFA - 4
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
C, AG
RFA - 4
9 250 000 $9 250 000 $
AD, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
975 000 $975 000 $
AG
RFA
975 000 $975 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $
AD
RFA - 3
950 000 $950 000 $
C, AG
RFA - 1
900 000 $900 000 $
C, AG, AD
UFA
1 050 000 $1 050 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
4 100 000 $4 100 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
9 000 000 $9 000 000 $
DD
UFA - 4
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
G
UFA - 2
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 4
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
DD
NTC
UFA - 3
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
G
UFA - 1
775 000 $775 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DG/DD
RFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
987 500 $987 500 $
DG/DD, AG
UFA - 1
762 500 $762 500 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
10 août 2022 à 12 h 51
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,253
imo they will eventually need to either trade girard, dump manson or let toews walk. they can't afford to pay byram, makar, toews, girard and manson.
10 août 2022 à 13 h 2
Canucks
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 349
Mackinnon has been very open about taking a discount. I think it will come in around 10M x 8Y.
Anus_McLeod a aimé ceci.
10 août 2022 à 13 h 2
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 12,187
you do realize dater is not a source of anything, he click baits only, he is not a journalist. He doesnt even have team credentials anymore .. He already walked back on this exclusive of his 12 hours later saying no one demanded for macKinnon to be the highest paid player, its just his expectation and the expectation to some guys hes talks to around the league

He has 0 information from Mackinnon or the Avs, its his thoughts
Anus_McLeod et HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
10 août 2022 à 13 h 23
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 3,373
Quoting: coga16
you do realize dater is not a source of anything, he click baits only, he is not a journalist. He doesnt even have team credentials anymore .. He already walked back on this exclusive of his 12 hours later saying no one demanded for macKinnon to be the highest paid player, its just his expectation and the expectation to some guys hes talks to around the league

There was a time when Dater had sources and broke some info, but now he just throws nonsense out and then backtracks later. It's kinda sad, tbh. Like a formerly competitive prize fighter getting beat up for a payday at the end of his career.

Anyway, I don't buy it for a single second. MacKinnon going from "I'll take less again" to wanting to be the highest paid player in the league is a complete 180 and entirely out of character for him.
10 août 2022 à 13 h 28
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
There was a time when Dater had sources and broke some info, but now he just throws nonsense out and then backtracks later. It's kinda sad, tbh. Like a formerly competitive prize fighter getting beat up for a payday at the end of his career.

Anyway, I don't buy it for a single second. MacKinnon going from "I'll take less again" to wanting to be the highest paid player in the league is a complete 180 and entirely out of character for him.

everyone called him out on that, and he had no response, that is why he changed "Exclusive NHL sources cite MacKinnon wants to be the leagues highest paid player" to "To be clear no one from MacKinnons side demanded anything" So he asked someone who doesnt have any connections to Mack or his Agent, and he made a story out of it.

Hes such a sad loser at this point.

He got dunked out when he tried to claim Giroux would be willing to waive to St Louis or Minnny at the TDL which had people coming out and saying no that is just a fabrication.
He needs to just retire and leave hockey media, its embarrassing at this point
10 août 2022 à 15 h 57
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 906
Quoting: Tmclean64
Mackinnon has been very open about taking a discount. I think it will come in around 10M x 8Y.

Quoting: coga16

Quoting: Anus_McLeod

I tried to be forthcoming about the source. I know Dater.

But the point was that even we did pay him nearly $13mil it can still work.

Lots of ACGM and comments on this site about how the Avs are going to get dismantle next year because of the cap.
earl08 a aimé ceci.
10 août 2022 à 16 h 13
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I tried to be forthcoming about the source. I know Dater.

But the point was that even we did pay him nearly $13mil it can still work.

Lots of ACGM and comments on this site about how the Avs are going to get dismantle next year because of the cap.

The year 1 of a new mackinnon deal will be tight but after that with the expected rise in cap due to escrow being paid off . Things will become very manageable to craft the rest of the roster. I agree not nearly as doom and gloom as some comments from other fans make it seem
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
10 août 2022 à 16 h 50
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: bagelbob
imo they will eventually need to either trade girard, dump manson or let toews walk. they can't afford to pay byram, makar, toews, girard and manson.

Toews contract is the only one that will be a tight fit. We can expect a $1 million cap increase to help out and if Francouz isn't resigned then Annunen takes over as backup and there is another $1 million; then about $250k each in savings from Cogliano/Helm down to ELC/minimum guys; so we can bump him up to $6.6 million no problem. Anything that MacKinnon, Byram, Newhook signs at below the figures I presented in the ACGM can also go to Toews.

After that then the cap should be moving up significantly and we will be fine.
10 août 2022 à 18 h 4
Representing the 505
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 3,630
While this does work, the principle here should be that Mac does not deserve to be the highest paid player in the league and I'm not sure how anyone can argue he should be. He's a great player, definitely one of the best in the league but it's absurd to think he would be paid more than McDavid given each of their individual accomplishments. Hell, Draisaitl is paid $8.5 and he has a better resume (maybe he is "underpaid" considering he signed that deal when the cap was $75M but it's only up $7.5M since that time; if he were taking up the same %age of cap, he would be making $9.35M/season). Nate is worth, at most, $11M taking the cap into consideration and indexing it to other top-end players.
10 août 2022 à 19 h 1
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: NMAvsFan
While this does work, the principle here should be that Mac does not deserve to be the highest paid player in the league and I'm not sure how anyone can argue he should be. He's a great player, definitely one of the best in the league but it's absurd to think he would be paid more than McDavid given each of their individual accomplishments. Hell, Draisaitl is paid $8.5 and he has a better resume (maybe he is "underpaid" considering he signed that deal when the cap was $75M but it's only up $7.5M since that time; if he were taking up the same %age of cap, he would be making $9.35M/season). Nate is worth, at most, $11M taking the cap into consideration and indexing it to other top-end players.

AAV and a ranking of the "best" players pretty much never lines up.

Maybe someday the NHL will allow player contracts that are a % of cap but that is not now.

I'm not suggesting that MacKinnon should or shouldn't be the highest paid player. But if he was one could argue that the Avs owe him for the past 7 years of drastically underpayment.
10 août 2022 à 20 h 26
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 945
You know who else is a sad loser? Person from WPG, lol.
10 août 2022 à 20 h 35
Feeding Families: Joe Sakic's legacy with Food Bank of the Rockies.

Yeah, this story screams loser, losers.
10 août 2022 à 20 h 38
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: earl08
Feeding Families: Joe Sakic's legacy with Food Bank of the Rockies.

Yeah, this story screams loser, losers.

You know who else is a sad loser? Person from WPG, lol.

WTF are you talking about?
10 août 2022 à 20 h 40
WTF are you talking about?

A certain know-it-all negative Nancy who doesn't have any imagination. Not you.
10 août 2022 à 20 h 44
Démarrer sujet
A certain know-it-all negative Nancy who doesn't have any imagination. Not you.

Gotcha
earl08 a aimé ceci.
10 août 2022 à 20 h 46
Démarrer sujet

The other issue is "market value". If there is a team out there willing to give Nate $13 million then he is worth that much. It has nothing to do with McDavid or Matthews.
10 août 2022 à 20 h 57
I'm hoping Meyers produces enough to get $2M+ on his next deal.

No matter what MacK eventually gets, having a cheap goalie tandem makes it possible to still be a contender. Toews is certainly gone, which will hurt, but Byram hopefully blossoms into a top-10 D.

It certainly looks like the Avs will be contenders without having to cheat the cap, which is nice.
10 août 2022 à 23 h 51
Representing the 505
The other issue is "market value". If there is a team out there willing to give Nate $13 million then he is worth that much. It has nothing to do with McDavid or Matthews.

Well, there's "worth it" then there's worth it. As an individual player, he may actually be worth $13M but the cap is a real thing and giving that much money to one player can prevent the team from putting a Cup-worthy team on the ice. If the goal is to win a Cup, then committing that much to one player can hinder a team from reaching that goal; this is especially true when they're paying other players big-money contracts at the same time. So, while the player may be worth that much on an individual level, they may not be worth it in the sense that the contract prevents the team from being able to reach their goal.
11 août 2022 à 0 h 31
Démarrer sujet
Well, there's "worth it" then there's worth it. As an individual player, he may actually be worth $13M but the cap is a real thing and giving that much money to one player can prevent the team from putting a Cup-worthy team on the ice. If the goal is to win a Cup, then committing that much to one player can hinder a team from reaching that goal; this is especially true when they're paying other players big-money contracts at the same time. So, while the player may be worth that much on an individual level, they may not be worth it in the sense that the contract prevents the team from being able to reach their goal.

Well that's a different set of logic than your earlier post which had some major flaws about "value". I agree 100% about team vs individual when it comes to this type of contract. Wish the NHL had better mechanisms outside of the cap for the superstars to increase their earning power so these guys could earn what they really deserve.
11 août 2022 à 12 h 30
Representing the 505
Well that's a different set of logic than your earlier post which had some major flaws about "value". I agree 100% about team vs individual when it comes to this type of contract. Wish the NHL had better mechanisms outside of the cap for the superstars to increase their earning power so these guys could earn what they really deserve.

Player value is extremely difficult to pin down but I don't necessarily believe that "whatever a player can get is their value; if that were true, there would be no such thing as "overpaid" or "underpaid" players but we know there are those guys. All contracts have to be viewed in relation to the cap and what other players are making; I did mention that before. The very best players in the league set what the high end will be. Mac is up there with them but he hasn't accomplished what guys like Drai, Matthews and McDavid have. He's definitely "outplayed" his current contract but that doesn't mean he should make $13M on his next deal. Ultimately, I don't think he will be the highest-paid player; he deserves to be paid as one of the best (which, yes, even if he did get $13M, he would get leapfrogged by Matthews and McDavid and maybe even Drai by the time their new contracts are signed and the cap has gone up) but he still, on his own, is not worth $13M based on what he has accomplished and the fact that his next deal will see him head into his declining years; I did say "may be" not "is" worth $13M.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage