SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Calgary Flames signed Jonathan Huberdeau (8 Years / $10,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

5 août 2022 à 9 h 19
Jones is Underpaid
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 939
Guess this means no cups for Calgary…
5 août 2022 à 9 h 35
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 169
WOW… I can’t believe I woke up to this this morning. If this is the cost for Pasta, Yikes. I know 8 would pay that on maybe a 4-6 year deal, sure give the 2 of them in Huberdueau and Pasta 10.5x5 because the6 are younger and in there prime then but yikes flames fans, that’s a lot when he is older. But it’s good cause that’s the only way the Tkachuk trade works is if 1 of them stays so it’s good that it might work out.
5 août 2022 à 9 h 41
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 541
The AAV is market value, and Monahan will be gone in a year so they can use his cap hit to pay for this. He’s too old to want to lock up for 9 years (8 + the one left on his current contract) – 5 would have been ideal – but if that’s what it took to keep him for more than one season, knowing that other teams are giving long-term contracts to high-end players in this age bracket, then it’s a calculated risk based on him delivering enough value in at least the first 4 or 5 years to offset the likelihood that this contract will have a negative value toward the end.

If this is the contract they offered Gaudreau, then I think Huberdeau will be a better investment. There is some risk that Gaudreau wouldn’t have had in terms of fit, since he hasn’t played a game with them, but some players don’t like to sign extensions during the season, so the risk that he won’t be a good fit is probably less than the risk of it coming down to the wire and not getting done if they wait.

This extension may also help them convince other players to sign extensions, as it shows that they are committed to trying to remain competitive and not interested in a rebuild.
5 août 2022 à 9 h 45
NoCupsForCanada
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 557
I feel like every time a big name player signs a big deal, this site freaks out. Its not 1995 anymore. These guys want to get paid. Is it possible that this deal looks rough in four or five years? Sure, but its also possible that you get struck by lighting tomorrow. Calgary had to make this deal and in the process they get *checks notes* a guy who's been a consistent point per game player over the last five seasons.

Also, FWIW, Calgary has decent cap space even after this deal kicks in. The Lucic and Monahan deals that expire next year free up nearly 12 million. So its not like they need to dump picks to move a bad contract like a lot of other teams who made big acquisitions.
rcs14e, sensonfire, HockeyScotty and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
5 août 2022 à 10 h 6
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 847
Quoting: DongLord23
This is not good. A 30 year old 6'1 winger signed till he's 37 with the 8th biggest cap hit in the NHL. They didn't even wait to see how he looks on the team and fits in the system. Signings like this really mess with the future of the team. Flames are gonna be the new Sharks.

I think the Flames will handle this better than the Sharks handled their cap issue for the exact same reason. Covid-19. Covid-19 caused a flat cap and that killed the Sharks. The flat cap is going away soon. Probably not this '23-'24 season, but by '25-'26 at the latest. And it won't be a $2 million or $3 million jump. I've hear it could be $10 million. In that case, this contract will be moveable, even if the player never hits 100 points again.
5 août 2022 à 10 h 14
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
I don't believe this is going to age as badly as people are making it out to be, Huberdeau's playstyle doesn't ruin the body after 30 so it's likely he'll keep contributing late into his 30s. Still, having a 38 year old with a 10.5 million cap hit isn't the most ideal of situations, so I guess the Flames are considering tearing down and rebuilding when it gets to that point.
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
5 août 2022 à 10 h 15
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 685
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
I think the Flames will handle this better than the Sharks handled their cap issue for the exact same reason. Covid-19. Covid-19 caused a flat cap and that killed the Sharks. The flat cap is going away soon. Probably not this '23-'24 season, but by '25-'26 at the latest. And it won't be a $2 million or $3 million jump. I've hear it could be $10 million. In that case, this contract will be moveable, even if the player never hits 100 points again.

Based on this move I think the Flames will also try to sign Weegar long term. Probably in the 7-8 years for 8.5M range. Their cap is gonna really be bloated with older players like the Sharks/Preds, while not being good enough to be a contender.

I heard 90Mish cap by 2027. That would make Huberdeau's contract 11.6% of the cap at 33 years old. That would similiar to 9.7M contract today. Even if you're being really generous with the cap at 95M in 2027. That would still be like a 9M contract today. That would be pretty difficult to move even if he's a 60-70 point guy.
5 août 2022 à 10 h 31
Evans truther
Mentions "j'aime": 1,432
At the end of the day Calgary gets better in the foreseeable future with the addition of Hubby/Weegar and assets to trade and Panthers gets better on the long run by getting a younger player. Yes this deal will be bad in 5 years but Calgary's clearly looking to contend now, still a win for Calgary when you look at the whole picture.
5 août 2022 à 10 h 42
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 230
I'm torn on this. For an elite playmaker who was a Hart finalist last season, the AAV for Huberdeau is fantastic. He's going to be a good engine for a lot of Calgary's play during their window, and his playstyle will means he doesn't need to rely on physical attributes that would decline with age such as speed.

8 years is a really long for term though, and long-term can hinder the ability to add assets to keep a window open (as my team learned the hard way... please don't remind me of Pickles or EK65). Moreover, the contract is effectively buyout proof until the final year when he's 38 and jury's still out on how he'd fit in with Daryl Sutter's tactics.

I will lean to a cautious Yes on whether this contract is good especially given the Flames' need to keep stars and get assets for Tkachuk, but I can see why others think this is a bad deal.
RawDeal a aimé ceci.
5 août 2022 à 11 h 47
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,562
Quoting: BruinsGM37
WOW… I can’t believe I woke up to this this morning. If this is the cost for Pasta, Yikes. I know 8 would pay that on maybe a 4-6 year deal, sure give the 2 of them in Huberdueau and Pasta 10.5x5 because the6 are younger and in there prime then but yikes flames fans, that’s a lot when he is older. But it’s good cause that’s the only way the Tkachuk trade works is if 1 of them stays so it’s good that it might work out.

$10.5 for Pasta is around market value, so not sure why the yikes.
5 août 2022 à 12 h 40
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 169
Quoting: ON3M4N
$10.5 for Pasta is around market value, so not sure why the yikes.

I over estimated his age.
5 août 2022 à 13 h 12
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 294
This contract will hurt long term but did the Flames have a choice considering how their offseason has gone?
5 août 2022 à 14 h 7
Hawks Fan
Mentions "j'aime": 1,598
Why do GMs keep doing this?!?!
5 août 2022 à 15 h 29
Canucks
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 349
Quoting: Jco5ta5
Why do GMs keep doing this?!?!

Desperate to keep assets in this case, they could not afford another offseason like this one next year. Likely pleases the fan base somewhat as well. I just cant believe they were so desperate they did it without seeing how the player fits first.
Jco5ta5, ricochetii, Rolfadinho and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
5 août 2022 à 16 h 14
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Quoting: Tmclean64
Desperate to keep assets in this case, they could not afford another offseason like this one next year. Likely pleases the fan base somewhat as well. I just cant believe they were so desperate they did it without seeing how the player fits first.

This. They had to change the optics and make sure Calgary is seen as a place players want to play, rather than a place they want to leave.
Not a great contract due to term, but a necessary one for them at this time. Let's face it, Huberdeau was probably getting that deal somewhere.
5 août 2022 à 17 h 40
sen krak fan
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,517
I don't know about this...
5 août 2022 à 18 h 21
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 90
That's... rich...
5 août 2022 à 18 h 54
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 430
Quoting: ricochetii
This. They had to change the optics and make sure Calgary is seen as a place players want to play, rather than a place they want to leave.
Not a great contract due to term, but a necessary one for them at this time. Let's face it, Huberdeau was probably getting that deal somewhere.

I don't think it is guaranteed he gets anywhere close to this from somewhere else.

I think that is one of the reasons he signed the deal in Calgary.

Huberdeau will be 30 years old and is a winger. He is going to an entirely new team and system. If he just has a very good season and not a top 5 scoring season, he's getting 6-8 million per for 4-7 seasons, and he may not have teams lining up for him. The cap is still tight, and teams are dumping more and more cap into players coming off of their ELC, which is choking out the big UFAs. Let's see what Kadri ends up getting after a 100 point pace season where he was an integral part on the cup winning team.

Calgary gave Huberdeau an offer he couldn't refuse. This is 84 million and it takes him to his late 30s, so that 8th year is going to factor in here because there is no guarantee that if he goes 7 years with someone else, he is still an active player or good enough to get a 1 year 10.5M contract. He would have to either get 7 x 12 million on the open market, or get less but get it from a team with a great tax situation. Which there aren't many teams like that who have 10+ million open in cap.

I would say there is next to no chance he gets this offer from someone else in the off season. Which isn't to say it was a bad move by Calgary. They just lost Gaudreau and Tkachuk, unless they are going to rebuild, losing a third straight superstar would be awful from an optics POV. Hockey is a business after all, and they have to win games and sell season tickets.
5 août 2022 à 20 h 18
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,198
Still better than that Ovie signing from the previous year.
5 août 2022 à 22 h 21
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Quoting: budgeteam
I don't think it is guaranteed he gets anywhere close to this from somewhere else.

I think that is one of the reasons he signed the deal in Calgary.

Huberdeau will be 30 years old and is a winger. He is going to an entirely new team and system. If he just has a very good season and not a top 5 scoring season, he's getting 6-8 million per for 4-7 seasons, and he may not have teams lining up for him. The cap is still tight, and teams are dumping more and more cap into players coming off of their ELC, which is choking out the big UFAs. Let's see what Kadri ends up getting after a 100 point pace season where he was an integral part on the cup winning team.

Calgary gave Huberdeau an offer he couldn't refuse. This is 84 million and it takes him to his late 30s, so that 8th year is going to factor in here because there is no guarantee that if he goes 7 years with someone else, he is still an active player or good enough to get a 1 year 10.5M contract. He would have to either get 7 x 12 million on the open market, or get less but get it from a team with a great tax situation. Which there aren't many teams like that who have 10+ million open in cap.

I would say there is next to no chance he gets this offer from someone else in the off season. Which isn't to say it was a bad move by Calgary. They just lost Gaudreau and Tkachuk, unless they are going to rebuild, losing a third straight superstar would be awful from an optics POV. Hockey is a business after all, and they have to win games and sell season tickets.

That's fair, but we all know GMs aren't always as rational.
Players have been hitting $9-10M for a few years and through a flat cap. It's going to increase with the cap projected to start rising again.
6 août 2022 à 5 h 5
Guide Record Book
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26
Quoting: SaviorX
30 players, 38 times. (this includes (5) players who were 29 to start the season, but turned 30 during)

the most recent was Stamkos this year 31yo (turned 32 before seasons end)

the oldest was Gordie Howe, in the 68-69 season 40yo. (5 total were 35+, including Howe and Joe Sakic (37))

I'm talking within context to players who have been traded to a new team. Stamkos has never been traded.. and Sakic has only played for one franchise.
6 août 2022 à 10 h 49
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 103
Like Calgary and Huberdeau, however, A lot to pay for someone who hasn’t played a shift in Calgary yet. Hope it works out but man CAL is handcuffed now with this Cap hit especially since I’m sorry, but generally after 30 performance drops from career highs.
7 août 2022 à 14 h 44
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 430
Quoting: ricochetii
That's fair, but we all know GMs aren't always as rational.
Players have been hitting $9-10M for a few years and through a flat cap. It's going to increase with the cap projected to start rising again.

Kadri is still a free agent.

Gaudreau didn't attract that many suitors one he left calgary.

Klingberg had to settle for a 1 year deal after nothing materialized.

I am not saying that for sure Huberdeau would end up holding the bag, but turning down 8 x 10.5 with great terms (buyout proof signing bonuses, NMC for most of it) would be incredibly risky. 8 x 10.5 with those terms is higher than the ceiling of what he could reasonably expect as a UFA. Gaudreau got 7 x 9.75. Huberdeau got nearly 16 million more than Gaudreau. Part of that is due to the 8th year, but it is unlikely Huberdeau recovers that 10.5M on his next contract when he is 37 years old if he signs 7 years as a UFA with someone else. So it has to factor in.

He got an amazing offer from Calgary, and he would have had to really not want to play in Calgary to turn it down. For Huberdeau to get anything close to this as a UFA, everything would have to go right for him this year in Calgary, and he'd still have to get lucky in free agency. He sold himself high and took advantage of the situation Calgary was in optics wise, where they had to re-sign him after losing their two biggest stars in the same off season. Which isn't me saying that Calgary was wrong to extend him, but Huberdeau hit a home run here in terms of his contract.
HelmutCool, RawDeal et SlavaDark a aimé ceci.
7 août 2022 à 15 h 58
NoQuitInNewYork
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 743
Too much
20 févr. 2023 à 19 h 56
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 727
This aged like milk before it even started.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage