SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

San Jose Sharks signed Mario Ferraro (4 Years / $3,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

4 août 2022 à 14 h 0
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,816
Modifié 4 août 2022 à 16 h 6
Quoting: svensk_forskare
they have a lot of money on the books for years to come... if he wanted to stay, its surprising they didnt go 8 years already... maybe they buyout vlasic by then or move EK65, but one would think hes a guy you'd want to go 8 years with

What would the contract look like though? Ferraro would probably want 4-7m aav which could turn out bad for the team or him (maybe he signs 4x8, adds some offence and then regrets a 4m aav). Or he’s not worth 6.5m at 8 years and it causes a void within the team/ player relation due to expectations and criticism. Also the Sharks don’t have money problems in 4 years which is when his deal is done so why stress?

In 4 years only Karlsson, Hertl, and Couture will be under contract with presumably Meier. All (assuming Meier is under Tkachuks aav so let’s say 8m). Would be 35m in 4 years (Karlsson 1 year left) and we can also presume the NHL’s salary cap limit will be much different in 4 years. Let’s say Bordeleau and Eklund have amazing season and take up 10 more mil combined. That’s 45m with Ferraro needing a new deal.

Pretty sure they’re fine for now and you’re looking way to far ahead in terms of stressing a guys deal out. He wants to see if he can earn more money and the team wants to see if Ferraro can improve more or if he isn’t going to evolve much more.
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
4 août 2022 à 14 h 2
Smythe.over.Hart
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,348
Great step by the new GM to not sign someone to an 8 year deal.
4 août 2022 à 14 h 7
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
He's got his work cut out, that's for sure. But, I've liked his all-around game thus far.
4 août 2022 à 14 h 9
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 24,580
Quoting: Kjell_Forsman
There's this thing called bridge deals....they're effective at measuring long term aav . Grier is not Wilson.

There's this thing called "bridge deal" -- which this by definition isn't, because a bridge deal bridges the gap between two halves of an eligible period, and this contract is a Bridge to Nowhere, i.e., free agency.
rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
4 août 2022 à 14 h 9
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 5,863
Mike Grier takes his first W!
4 août 2022 à 14 h 11
Evans truther
Mentions "j'aime": 1,432
Quoting: yikes
Yes but Ferraro is quite literally the complete opposite of Tavares in personality and attitude. Tavares also was a completely different situation (he’s making 8 digits) - which will never be the AAV of Ferraro unless he turns into a god lol.

I read "Yes but" and then a bunch of hypothesis to prove your point.
4 août 2022 à 14 h 49
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,392
If you knew Mario you'd know that just by watching him he is going to be a captain. All of his coaches, sharks management and teammates have pegged Mario as captain material. Hertl is AMAZING but doesn't have that Mario attitude that will do absolutely anything to win.

like any ones knows mario here lol
jpsnow13 a aimé ceci.
4 août 2022 à 15 h 5
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 157
Quoting: drambui
like any ones knows mario here lol

Hey, I live in San Jose and was at CVS the other day and they called out that a prescription was ready for a guy named Mario Ferraro. I stuck around for a couple minutes to see if it was him so I could have a chat with him...turns out it was someone else.
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, yikes, Vizix and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
4 août 2022 à 15 h 7
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,392
Quoting: jamnjon
Hey, I live in San Jose and was at CVS the other day and they called out that a prescription was ready for a guy named Mario Ferraro. I stuck around for a couple minutes to see if it was him so I could have a chat with him...turns out it was someone else.

hahahaha it was worth a shot for sure!
yikes a aimé ceci.
4 août 2022 à 15 h 16
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 157
Quoting: svensk_forskare
they have a lot of money on the books for years to come... if he wanted to stay, its surprising they didnt go 8 years already... maybe they buyout vlasic by then or move EK65, but one would think hes a guy you'd want to go 8 years with

This is a 4 year deal. In 4 years, if Vlasic isn't bought out he will be off the books. If he is bought out at some point before then, it will be $1.2M to $1.7M of cap hit, depending on when exactly he's bought out. Burns' retained salary will be off the books, Labanc's contract will have ended and, barring a resurgent season this year, he'll either be gone or making less.

Literally the only things on the books after this contract expires are 1 year of Couture, 1 year of Karlsson, 4 years of Hertl, and the final year ($1.67M) of Jones' buyout. Of course there will be other contracts signed in the meantime, but as it stands now they're not in too bad of a position cap-wise at that point. Hell, looking at his last few years, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Karlsson's on Robidas Island (permanent LTIR) by then.
4 août 2022 à 15 h 21
Not yet trannycided
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,012
This is a fair contract. Ferraro has been playing minutes that are too difficult for him; if he starts playing easier minutes, he should be able to outperform the AAV.
yikes et areax91 a aimé ceci.
4 août 2022 à 15 h 36
IG vincemark78
Mentions "j'aime": 82
Mario is an insane culture driver, leader, shot-blocking maniac and still hasn't reached his offensive potential. He is easily the future captain of the Sharks. His will to win is beyond any other shark by far...

Idk I feel like Couture and Hertl would beg to differ on that one
4 août 2022 à 15 h 47
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 906
Hertl or Ferraro are A’s or C’s. Hertls only case against is he wears his emotion often - if he’s having a bad game at times his attitude shows through his play in terms of frustration. Sometimes his frustration leads to a dynamite period that turns him around, and sometimes it just leads to more frustration. I don’t recall ever seeing Ferraro’s frustration show. (This isn’t knocking Hertl he’s just an emotional guy which is awesome to see compared to me watching the same interview from 150 nhl players).

Sounds like MacKinnon vs Landeskog. The maturity level was apparent early on
areax91 a aimé ceci.
4 août 2022 à 16 h 10
This is Jake
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 109
Sharks made out on this one, hope Mario makes out on the next
4 août 2022 à 16 h 10
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,816
Quoting: ColonelX
I read "Yes but" and then a bunch of hypothesis to prove your point.

Wouldn’t it be the same either way.

I can show you:

Eric Cernak to John Tavares. It’s all subjective opinion except I had an argument and the other was an unrelated, not equivalent example. Tavares is a 11m AAV superstar Center who had media circus hype through the roof. Ferraro is a top 4 23yo D in California. And my point of them having different external attitudes and personalities is more of a fact then opinion as it’s quite apparent that one is a quiet lead by example type and the other is a running a YouTube channel, eccentric personality? So I don’t see any real point in your comment. There is little relevance to using a JT leaving NY situation to Ferraro in resigning SJ.

Could Ferraro leave? 100%. But I am the only providing substantial points as opposed to “xyz player left his team so Ferraro will too”.
Vizix a aimé ceci.
4 août 2022 à 16 h 39
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,630
Man, when was the last time we say a 4 year 2nd contract handed at to a player coming off of a 3 year ELC?
4 août 2022 à 16 h 45
Mentions "j'aime": 144
Quoting: jamnjon
This is a 4 year deal. In 4 years, if Vlasic isn't bought out he will be off the books. If he is bought out at some point before then, it will be $1.2M to $1.7M of cap hit, depending on when exactly he's bought out. Burns' retained salary will be off the books, Labanc's contract will have ended and, barring a resurgent season this year, he'll either be gone or making less.

Literally the only things on the books after this contract expires are 1 year of Couture, 1 year of Karlsson, 4 years of Hertl, and the final year ($1.67M) of Jones' buyout. Of course there will be other contracts signed in the meantime, but as it stands now they're not in too bad of a position cap-wise at that point. Hell, looking at his last few years, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Karlsson's on Robidas Island (permanent LTIR) by then.

it's just a risk they bear if something changes - which wouldn't have been an issue on a 2-3 year deal. that's all
4 août 2022 à 16 h 46
Mentions "j'aime": 144
What would the contract look like though? Ferraro would probably want 4-7m aav which could turn out bad for the team or him (maybe he signs 4x8, adds some offence and then regrets a 4m aav). Or he’s not worth 6.5m at 8 years and it causes a void within the team/ player relation due to expectations and criticism. Also the Sharks don’t have money problems in 4 years which is when his deal is done so why stress?

In 4 years only Karlsson, Hertl, and Couture will be under contract with presumably Meier. All (assuming Meier is under Tkachuks aav so let’s say 8m). Would be 35m in 4 years (Karlsson 1 year left) and we can also presume the NHL’s salary cap limit will be much different in 4 years. Let’s say Bordeleau and Eklund have amazing season and take up 10 more mil combined. That’s 45m with Ferraro needing a new deal.

Pretty sure they’re fine for now and you’re looking way to far ahead in terms of stressing a guys deal out. He wants to see if he can earn more money and the team wants to see if Ferraro can improve more or if he isn’t going to evolve much more.

it's just a risk they wouldn't bear on a 2-3 year deal is all... we've been surprised by UFA's on the market before, and he will be a UFA at the end of the deal... but clearly mike grier isn't worried
4 août 2022 à 18 h 6
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,196
How does this connect to the Leafs and Sandin, hmm....
4 août 2022 à 19 h 29
BORDEGOD
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 490
Quoting: vmark
Idk I feel like Couture and Hertl would beg to differ on that one

Logan is still the captain and has earned the right to keep the C imo. But if the C is ever available in SJ over the next few years for whatever reason I think Mario is one of the more obvious candidates.

Sharks are in the midst of a youth movement and Mario is at the forefront of that movement at age 23. Hertl is still “the guy” at forward. Logan is the 2-way guy. Timo is the scoring guy and Mario is the youth guy.

That said though, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Erik Karlsson get consideration if he can start to get healthy. Karlsson thrives on being thee guy.
4 août 2022 à 19 h 29
to be banned soon
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 541

ehhhhhhhhhhhhh
4 août 2022 à 21 h 36
BORDEGOD
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 490
Quoting: SnakeDelilah

ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Covering for a loose cannon like Brent Burns will do that. Burns’ turnover rate along with his offense only play forced Mario into some bad situations. I’ve never seen a shark invest the highest energy possible into every shift.

Mario’s drive and work ethic is second to none and i have watched hockey for over 25 years. He is an absolute beast.
4 août 2022 à 21 h 47
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
Wouldn’t it be the same either way.

I can show you:

Eric Cernak to John Tavares. It’s all subjective opinion except I had an argument and the other was an unrelated, not equivalent example. Tavares is a 11m AAV superstar Center who had media circus hype through the roof. Ferraro is a top 4 23yo D in California. And my point of them having different external attitudes and personalities is more of a fact then opinion as it’s quite apparent that one is a quiet lead by example type and the other is a running a YouTube channel, eccentric personality? So I don’t see any real point in your comment. There is little relevance to using a JT leaving NY situation to Ferraro in resigning SJ.

Could Ferraro leave? 100%. But I am the only providing substantial points as opposed to “xyz player left his team so Ferraro will too”.

1) Don't get the point about Cernak, I'm clearly missing something?
2) Tavares has a YT channel?
4 août 2022 à 22 h 22
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,439
About f*cking time they reached a deal
5 août 2022 à 2 h 23
IG vincemark78
Mentions "j'aime": 82
Logan is still the captain and has earned the right to keep the C imo. But if the C is ever available in SJ over the next few years for whatever reason I think Mario is one of the more obvious candidates.

Sharks are in the midst of a youth movement and Mario is at the forefront of that movement at age 23. Hertl is still “the guy” at forward. Logan is the 2-way guy. Timo is the scoring guy and Mario is the youth guy.

That said though, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Erik Karlsson get consideration if he can start to get healthy. Karlsson thrives on being thee guy.

Yea I was mainly talking about how you said "will to win" because the guys I mentioned have that big time. Especially Couture I mean his playoff points are wild. It wasn't that long ago that the Sharks were in the WCF. If they can actually get some good goaltending, and EK can bring his big time "I'm that guy" on the blue line (and stay healthy) I could see them pushing in the Pacific this season. I don't watch them enough but you've sold me on Mario.

Just sayin, Couture and Hertl are still beast mode players who certainly have a big time will to win. And if we're counting just will, I'd imagine Vlasic would rather block 100000 shots than never win a Cup, even if they're all with his face.
Kjell_Forsman a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage