SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Anaheim Ducks signed John Klingberg (1 Year / $7,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 36
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 121
Quoting: Prime_Jimbo
Hire Gudbranson's agent!!!

Damnit man, your profile pic make me chuckle more than it should have lol
Prime_Jimbo a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 38
MajorMoose
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,602
He gone at the deadline
29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 39
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 121
Quoting: BCAPP
Aside: seems like this opens the door for a shattenkirk trade, no?

I doubt it since they have to stay above the cap floor, unless they sign someone like kadri
29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 47
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Klingberg is a great offensive defenseman but I do not see him as someone who a lot of teams are going to commit massive term and salary to. Very him more as a better version of Tyson Barrie.

He's doing what Taylor Hall did when a couldn't get a team to give him a long contract: go to a place that isn't looking to compete, hopefully do well and get moved at a trade deadline, then get extended by that team. Smart move, but I'd reckon his next contract would depend a lot on how much the cap goes up; I can't see any contenders offering 7 million on a multi year deal.
29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 49
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Highly overrated and overvalued by the hockey media heading into UFA. Good for these GM's to finally realize that handing out massive, long term contracts to aging D's is almost always a big mistake.
rollie1967 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 52
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 11,894
Quoting: SnakeDelilah
oooooof man i was gonna be all like "klinger's agent needs the door" until i saw that he was a minus player for the last three seasons

Also he literally already fired an agent
29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 53
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,231
Genius move... this is what happens when you manage the cap and are patient. A team that had virtually no chance of getting Klingberg, just signed him to a 1 year do with 0 risk whatsoever. Free #2 defender and will get a boat load should they choose to trade him at the TD
Brian2016 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 53
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,630
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Gibson is gonna have his work cut out for him with Fowler, Shattenkirk, Drysdale, and Klingberg on the blue line.

Isn't fowler actually defensively responsible though?
29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 54
Banni
Why just one year? Doesn't Klinger realize that he's not helping his case for scoring a long-term contract by heading back to free agency next off-season only a year older?
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 56
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Why just one year? Doesn't Klinger realize that he's not helping his case for scoring a long-term contract by heading back to free agency next off-season only a year older?

He's hoping he can prove himself to actually be worth a $6 million AAV on a multi-year contract. There are GM's out there that will give him that if he has a big year, especially if he gets traded to a team at the deadline and then lights it up for them in the playoffs a la Kyle Palmieri.
BCAPP et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 57
Banni
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
He's hoping he can prove himself to actually be worth a $6 million AAV on a multi-year contract. There are GM's out there that will give him that if he has a big year, especially if he gets traded to a team at the deadline and then lights it up for them in the playoffs a la Kyle Palmieri.

I can see maybe a 3 x 6M or 4 x 6M if he plays well enough for the Ducks, but nothing more
rollie1967 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 16 h 58
Farewell
I can see maybe a 3 x 6M or 4 x 6M if he plays well enough for the Ducks, but nothing more

That sounds about right (but watch Chuck Fletcher offer him 7 X 7M after this year)
BCAPP, Trickster et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 1
Banni
That sounds about right (but watch Chuck Fletcher offer him 7 X 7M after this year)

LOL, I doubt it, not with DeAngelo, Ristolainen, and Ellis all on the books. Oh wait, not even! Fletcher won't even BE the Flyers GM after next season WILL HE?!
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 1
Farewell
LOL, I doubt it, not with DeAngelo, Ristolainen, and Ellis all on the books. Oh wait, not even! Fletcher won't even BE the Flyers GM after next season WILL HE?!

For the Flyers' sake, I certainly hope not.
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 2
Banni
For the Flyers' sake, I certainly hope not.

I would almost guarantee it. If the Flyers miss the playoffs next year, I don't see how Fletcher remains GM
rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 5
Farewell
I would almost guarantee it. If the Flyers miss the playoffs next year, I don't see how Fletcher remains GM

Agreed. He should've been fired after this year (if not already the year before that). It's incredible that he still has the job.
rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 9
Banni
Agreed. He should've been fired after this year (if not already the year before that). It's incredible that he still has the job.

I mean, Ownership looks at their business asset from a different perspective than fans do. It can take more to convince an ownership group to make an extreme pivot and go in a new direction cause they aren't going to be as reactionary as the fans will be
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 10
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 906
I don't think this is a good signing for either the Ducks or Klingberg.

Ducks: yes they reach the cap floor but they could have done that AND gained future assets via trade with all the teams looking to dump contracts; and they could have done it with contracts that were less than the AAV from a salary paid perspective. Additionally the TOI that Klingberg needs to "have high trade value" is going to come at the expense of Drysdale or Klinger has to settle for 2nd Pair and PP2 duties on a team that is thin at talent.

This is also why I think it is a bad deal for Klingberg: the premise that he can showcase his talent to leverage a trade deadline deal assumes that Anaheim will be a good incubator for his skills and that could be flawed. There were better places to go for this.
rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 11
Farewell
I mean, Ownership looks at their business asset from a different perspective than fans do. It can take more to convince an ownership group to make an extreme pivot and go in a new direction cause they aren't going to be as reactionary as the fans will be

And they shouldn't be, fans react too quickly and easily. But it doesn't take much to see that Fletcher (and possibly the Flyers ownership as well) are delusional in thinking that they can still contend-they need to rebuild, but they're not admitting it. Even worse, they're digging the hole deeper and deeper with each move (Tortorella hiring, Ristolainen extension, DeAngelo trade, Deslauriers signing).
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 14
Banni
And they shouldn't be, fans react too quickly and easily. But it doesn't take much to see that Fletcher (and possibly the Flyers ownership as well) are delusional in thinking that they can still contend-they need to rebuild, but they're not admitting it. Even worse, they're digging the hole deeper and deeper with each move (Tortorella hiring, Ristolainen extension, DeAngelo trade, Deslauriers signing).

I mean us die-hard hockey fans are all smart enough to see that Fletcher and co. aren't capable of improving the situation, but again, Ownership aren't hockey people/hockey minds, so why should they be as well informed as we are? There is a reason they employ a management team to manage their business asset to begin with
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 16
Farewell
I mean us die-hard hockey fans are all smart enough to see that Fletcher and co. aren't capable of improving the situation, but again, Ownership aren't hockey people/hockey minds, so why should they be as well informed as we are? There is a reason they employ a management team to manage their business asset to begin with

I don't think it takes a die-hard hockey fan to see how awful Fletcher is, it's plain to see. But hey, maybe Flyers ownership is just that stupid.
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 18
Banni
I don't think it takes a die-hard hockey fan to see how awful Fletcher is, it's plain to see. But hey, maybe Flyers ownership is just that stupid.

Why should an ownership group be as well versed in the valuations of players like Ristolainen and Deslauriers as we are? Serious question
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 31
Farewell
Why should an ownership group be as well versed in the valuations of players like Ristolainen and Deslauriers as we are? Serious question

Some ownerships are (at least somewhat) invested in the game, and some are not. The Flyers' ownership seems to be squarely in the latter category (at least, that's the way it appears when you let your employees hire Torterella, extend Ristolainen, and sign Deslauriers for 4 years).
29 juill. 2022 à 17 h 52
Watches no games
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 976
Looked very dubious until I saw the term. Smart business from Anaheim - might net them a 1st+ at the TDL. This is what a team in their situation should do.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 18 h 1
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,060
Quoting: mondo
Klingberg is a great offensive defenseman but I do not see him as someone who a lot of teams are going to commit massive term and salary to. Very him more as a better version of Tyson Barrie.

He's doing what Taylor Hall did when a couldn't get a team to give him a long contract: go to a place that isn't looking to compete, hopefully do well and get moved at a trade deadline, then get extended by that team. Smart move, but I'd reckon his next contract would depend a lot on how much the cap goes up; I can't see any contenders offering 7 million on a multi year deal.

I think Rielly is a better comparable than Barrie
MelonVK a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage