SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Anaheim Ducks signed John Klingberg (1 Year / $7,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

29 juill. 2022 à 18 h 25
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,695
Quoting: Hollands_missing_brain
I doubt it since they have to stay above the cap floor, unless they sign someone like kadri

Or they take back a bigger contract with plus plus sweeteners. Like hornqvist for Florida who could use a Weegar replacement (but I think they're out of sweeteners. Lol)
29 juill. 2022 à 18 h 30
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
Agreed. He should've been fired after this year (if not already the year before that). It's incredible that he still has the job.

I don't know why anyone hired him. He did a ****ty job in minni
29 juill. 2022 à 18 h 31
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I don't think this is a good signing for either the Ducks or Klingberg.

Ducks: yes they reach the cap floor but they could have done that AND gained future assets via trade with all the teams looking to dump contracts; and they could have done it with contracts that were less than the AAV from a salary paid perspective. Additionally the TOI that Klingberg needs to "have high trade value" is going to come at the expense of Drysdale or Klinger has to settle for 2nd Pair and PP2 duties on a team that is thin at talent.

This is also why I think it is a bad deal for Klingberg: the premise that he can showcase his talent to leverage a trade deadline deal assumes that Anaheim will be a good incubator for his skills and that could be flawed. There were better places to go for this.

They still have plenty of cap room to take on dumps with sweeteners. And I think they get more value from trading him if he works out anyway. As well give Drysdale some protection to develop. Not a crime for him to get pp2 at his age
29 juill. 2022 à 18 h 33
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,938
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I don't think this is a good signing for either the Ducks or Klingberg.

Ducks: yes they reach the cap floor but they could have done that AND gained future assets via trade with all the teams looking to dump contracts; and they could have done it with contracts that were less than the AAV from a salary paid perspective. Additionally the TOI that Klingberg needs to "have high trade value" is going to come at the expense of Drysdale or Klinger has to settle for 2nd Pair and PP2 duties on a team that is thin at talent.

This is also why I think it is a bad deal for Klingberg: the premise that he can showcase his talent to leverage a trade deadline deal assumes that Anaheim will be a good incubator for his skills and that could be flawed. There were better places to go for this.

Look no further than the return for Hampus Lindholm. The return for Klingberg 50% retained will greatly outweigh getting a cap dump with a mid round pick. Shattenkirk moves to the third pair, Drysdale stays with Fowler and Klingberg plays with one of Vaak/Benoit and mentors out young D core.

This doesn’t negatively impact Drysdale in the slightest bit, this is actually a massive help to him.

This is nothing short of a grand slam from Verbeek and the Ducks. Easy A+ signing
GiggywithGibby et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 19 h 5
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 431
The Ducks probably paid way more than any other team was going to be able to.

The only teams with open cap at this point are mostly budget teams.

Klingberg overplayed his hand and was caught holding the bag. I assume teams offered him 4-5 million with term. He likely sees himself as a top pairing D and wanted money commiserate with that, which never materialized.

Anaheim now has the inside track in either extending him, or they can flip him at the deadline for a pick. I wouldn't be sure he wants to stay in Anaheim, re: taxes.

This is very similar to the Taylor Hall contract with Buffalo. Ultimately, Hall signed in Boston for a lot less than anyone would have predicted two years earlier. When he had his Hart season, he likely expected that he set himself up for 8-10 million on a long term deal. He didn't get anywhere near that. The same thing probably happens with Klingberg. He will sign somewhere next season for 5x5 or something similar.
29 juill. 2022 à 19 h 16
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,473
Quoting: BCAPP
Well he got away from Dallas...guess they gotta not sign Eakins wink

At least he didn’t go to the maple leafs
29 juill. 2022 à 19 h 16
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 301
Quoting: ColonelX
Don't listen the rumours, that's what we've learned this summer.

Il avait une vision exagérée de sa propre valeur. La réalité a fait une autre victime.
29 juill. 2022 à 19 h 22
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
Quoting: OldHabsFan61
Il avait une vision exagérée de sa propre valeur. La réalité a fait une autre victime.

For those who are curious (per Google Translate): "He had an exaggerated view of his own worth. Reality claimed another victim."
29 juill. 2022 à 19 h 28
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 301
For those who are curious (per Google Translate): "He had an exaggerated view of his own worth. Reality claimed another victim."

That person speaks French, I got excited
OldNYIfan et CEO a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 19 h 33
Farewell
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
Quoting: OldHabsFan61
That person speaks French, I got excited

Well, I know "Bonjour" and "Au revoir." That's about it.
OldHabsFan61 a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 19 h 35
Molson beer is meh
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,734
Good deal for ANA, terrible for Klingberg.

No wonder he fired his agent.
rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 19 h 36
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,191
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
I think Rielly is a better comparable than Barrie

Rielly is a tier or two ahead of Klingberg, both on and off the ice.
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 19 h 57
Quoting: budgeteam
The Ducks probably paid way more than any other team was going to be able to.

The only teams with open cap at this point are mostly budget teams.

Klingberg overplayed his hand and was caught holding the bag. I assume teams offered him 4-5 million with term. He likely sees himself as a top pairing D and wanted money commiserate with that, which never materialized.

Anaheim now has the inside track in either extending him, or they can flip him at the deadline for a pick. I wouldn't be sure he wants to stay in Anaheim, re: taxes.

This is very similar to the Taylor Hall contract with Buffalo. Ultimately, Hall signed in Boston for a lot less than anyone would have predicted two years earlier. When he had his Hart season, he likely expected that he set himself up for 8-10 million on a long term deal. He didn't get anywhere near that. The same thing probably happens with Klingberg. He will sign somewhere next season for 5x5 or something similar.

Hall would have gotten a lot more if not for the pandemic.
29 juill. 2022 à 20 h 9
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 2,630
Some ownerships are (at least somewhat) invested in the game, and some are not. The Flyers' ownership seems to be squarely in the latter category (at least, that's the way it appears when you let your employees hire Torterella, extend Ristolainen, and sign Deslauriers for 4 years).

Right, and is it our place to say that Flyers ownership should be more invested in the hockey operations aspect of the game like some other ownerships groups are? I'm not sure it is
29 juill. 2022 à 20 h 10
Banni
Quoting: mondo
Rielly is a tier or two ahead of Klingberg, both on and off the ice.

Oh I dunno about that man
29 juill. 2022 à 21 h 2
torontos finest
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Oh I dunno about that man

Good thing I do
29 juill. 2022 à 21 h 35
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 272
I voted no...I dont think this works for either the team- and especially the player.

going from Dallas to an even worse team in Anaheim...its going to be tough for Klingberg to improve his numbers much (despite obvious incentive), his defensive play has been poor for a few seasons. Teams obviously balked at a longterm deal at any kind of big dollar, and if he posts worse numbers at his age...a new contract at anything close to what he was asking for this year isnt going to happen.
If he ****s the bed...even by eating 50% of his salary- the Ducks wont get much at the TDL for him. Its an expensive gamble for the Ducks (but they can afford it i guess), but this working out for Klingberg...seems like a real long shot.
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2022 à 21 h 45
Banni
Good thing I do

No, you're being a typical leafs homer
29 juill. 2022 à 22 h 24
torontos finest
No, you're being a typical leafs homer

lol whatever
29 juill. 2022 à 22 h 40
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 6,127
The Ducks are going to give up 400 goals next season.

I voted yes.
29 juill. 2022 à 22 h 49
Mentions "j'aime": 548
Wow! A month ago I predicted Klingberg would be one of the most sought after free agents this year, because he was the only top pair defenseman available that wasn’t in his mid-30s. Supply and demand. Hampus Lindholm, who is a bit younger but doesn’t have Klingberg’s offensive numbers, had recently signed for 8 years at $6.5M AAV, so I expected Klingberg to get a higher AAV with a year or two less term. He probably expected that too, but eventually I realized that the demand wasn’t going to be there. All teams seemed to be in one of three categories:

• Playoff teams who couldn’t afford the cap hit he wanted, so they found other ways to get the help they needed

• Rising teams with young cores who don’t want to tie up cap hit for years on an older player

• Teams trying to tank for a rebuild who only want players with short-term contracts

I knew then that he was going to have to give up AAV or term, maybe even both. He got the AAV, but I don’t think it would have made sense for Anaheim to sign him for more than one year. This is a zero risk signing for them because they have tons of cap space and I don’t think their young defensemen are going to suffer from having to wait another year to move up in the depth chart.

It’s not necessarily a disaster for Klingberg, because he gets to try again next summer, but he goes into an uncertain situation with a new team, so his prospects for next year will depend on how well he fits in with Anaheim (or whoever they trade him to), but this was probably the best he could do. I suspect multi-year offers were probably closer to $5M AAV, and most of them were off the table by today because the teams found other solutions.

It was bad luck for him that Dallas made the playoffs. If he was the one who got traded to Boston at the deadline instead of Lindholm, he probably would have got the big contract and Lindholm might be back in Anaheim on a short-term deal.

Let this be a lesson to other potential UFAs that the grass isn’t always greener.
29 juill. 2022 à 22 h 56
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 935
What if Anaheim trades him tomorrow to Dallas with retention in exchange for Radek Faksa and a draft pick?
29 juill. 2022 à 23 h 32
Banni
lol whatever

If the Leafs have another 1st round exit next post-season, the only way you'll be laughing is in mockery of your own team
OldHabsFan61 a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2022 à 0 h 9
Mentions "j'aime": 854
Anaheim needed to make a splash after several years of bad performances, so this is a good deal. However, I don't think he will live up to the $7 million price tag.
30 juill. 2022 à 0 h 10
torontos finest
If the Leafs have another 1st round exit next post-season, the only way you'll be laughing is in mockery of your own team

cool dude, keep posting.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage