SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #10 - Kadri oh Kadri, wherefore art thou Kadri?

8 août 2022 à 20 h 11
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I'll give you questionable goaltending as there are more question marks with Campbell and Skinner than absolute answers. I'll even double down and suggest the blueline is two top-fpur pieces away from being championship caliber. Miles to go.

I think the two of you are grossly underrating the strength of Edmonton's bottom six. All of Foegele, Janmark, and McLeod are third-line caliber players. Ryan is a run-of-the-mill fourth line forward. Holloway is very much raw but has the underlying numbers to suggest he can step in on any NHL roster as a third-line talent. What happens if Hyman shifts to RW and pushes either of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto down the roster?

They're one RW away, be it an external solution like Kessel or internal via Bourgault, from having the best top-9, possibly the best forward corps, in the league. Depth scoring as an issue for the Oilers is a poor, recycled, uneducated take.

EDIT: looks like Saskleaf has joined you two in wrongness solidarity.

Foegele is the closest to joining Pulju as a 3rd line calibre player, but he’s still a guy you’d prefer to have on the 4th line tbh (for reference he only had 2 more goals than Lucic last year). I wouldn’t call Janmark or McLeod more than good/fine 4th liners respectively though, and think they’re both over their head on the 3rd line. Do you honestly think anyone in the Oilers bottom 6 outside Pulju (who struggled on the 3rd line and was often in the doghouse) can score even 15 goals, let alone 20? It’s a lot to expect of Holloway to jump in and immediately be your only depth scoring option. It’s not recycled if it’s still accurate. At least Janmark is better than Kassian, but that’s not a high bar to clear.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 août 2022 à 20 h 24
I make typos
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991
Quoting: Alfie11
Foegele is the closest to joining Pulju as a 3rd line calibre player, but he’s still a guy you’d prefer to have on the 4th line tbh (for reference he only had 2 more goals than Lucic last year). I wouldn’t call Janmark or McLeod more than good/fine 4th liners respectively though, and think they’re both over their head on the 3rd line. Do you honestly think anyone in the Oilers bottom 6 outside Pulju (who struggled on the 3rd line and was often in the doghouse) can score even 15 goals, let alone 20? It’s a lot to expect of Holloway to jump in and immediately be your only depth scoring option. It’s not recycled if it’s still accurate. At least Janmark is better than Kassian, but that’s not a high bar to clear.

have you ever seen Ryan McLeod play?!? he is WAY WAY more then a good 4th liner, he's a decent 3rd line center now after only one full season image what he will become in time, he is already a speedy defensively minded center just wait until he becomes better in the Ozone.
capsfan2121, HockeyScotty et yikes a aimé ceci.
8 août 2022 à 20 h 26
Ex Nucks fan
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 17,624
Quoting: oilersguy
have you ever seen Ryan McLeod play?!? he is WAY WAY more then a good 4th liner, he's a decent 3rd line center now after only one full season image what he will become in time, he is already a speedy defensively minded center just wait until he becomes better in the Ozone.

Oilers need bottom six players that produce points
Saskleaf et zk97 a aimé ceci.
8 août 2022 à 21 h 1
Quoting: oilersguy

IF he becomes better in the offensive zone he’ll be a solid 3C, maybe. Until then, he’s a younger version of Derek Ryan at best, only Derek Ryan is actually more effective at driving offense lol. McLeod is a 4C based on how he played last season.
8 août 2022 à 21 h 9
I make typos
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991

Turn out the "17" y.o. Ballerina he paid for s*x was actually 18 at the time , makes it legal but still does make it right
8 août 2022 à 21 h 39
TheLeafsAbuseMe
Mentions "j'aime": 659
Quoting: Devil

Growing up: Sean Avery
Current: Kaapo Kakko

As a kid it was Borje Salming

As a teenager it was Wendel Clark

As a 20 something it was Gilmour

Now it’s Crosby
8 août 2022 à 21 h 39
Mentions "j'aime": 17,293
Quoting: Saskleaf
They have what could arguably be the best top 6 in the league. If they get even ok goaltending and their defense is not the literal worst in the league they’re definitely making the playoffs.

The best top 6 in the league? What are you on? The Sens don’t have an elite top 6, I’d easily take the Oilers or the Leafs top 6 before the Sens

Edit: You might be talking about Edmonton but no idea why you’d quote a post that talks about Hamonic and Zaitsev then
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
8 août 2022 à 21 h 46
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 906
Quoting: csick
Their offence is high level. And depending how Sanderson plays, they could be great. They will likely add a Dman before camp.

Agree they've improved a lot including defensive impact of forwards but the blueline is still below average and they'll need a 4th line to form some chemistry as a matchup/shutdown/energy line. Shane Pinto could be key for their bottom 6 but a lot of new players thrown in might take a but for it to come together
8 août 2022 à 21 h 49
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Definitely, no idea how people think they’re close to the playoffs, like, you literally have Hamonic and Zaitsev as 2 of your RD’s and depth still isn’t great

Quoting: HockeyScotty
They've closed the gap for being competitive but so did Detroit, New Jersey and Columbus. Muddy middle in the East is going to be jam packed

There is a massive thing in the NHL called chemistry and if those guys can't link up early in the year they could quickly become 15 points down on the top of the division and they will have to climb back. Boston, Toronto, Florida, and Tampa most likely will come flying out of the gate. There isn't going to be any easy games for Ottawa and can you see Ottawa winning any of the season series vs Boston, Toronto, Florida, or Tampa? Maybe Boston but only if there games are early in the season. Ottawa could beat MTL and Buffalo, as well as Detroit or split with them... The metro will probably have WSH, PIT, NYR and CAR storming out the gate...not saying Ottawa in the playoffs is impossible but making up 32 points is pretty bold to guarantee...
yikes, A_Habs_fan et zk97 a aimé ceci.
8 août 2022 à 22 h 8
Démarrer sujet
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
There is a massive thing in the NHL called chemistry and if those guys can't link up early in the year they could quickly become 15 points down on the top of the division and they will have to climb back. Boston, Toronto, Florida, and Tampa most likely will come flying out of the gate. There isn't going to be any easy games for Ottawa and can you see Ottawa winning any of the season series vs Boston, Toronto, Florida, or Tampa? Maybe Boston but only if there games are early in the season. Ottawa could beat MTL and Buffalo, as well as Detroit or split with them... The metro will probably have WSH, PIT, NYR and CAR storming out the gate...not saying Ottawa in the playoffs is impossible but making up 32 points is pretty bold to guarantee...

A reminder that the Bruins are spending the first two months (at minimum) without Marchand/McAvoy/Grzlecyk/Carlo. Don't think they'll come flying out of the gate-quite the opposite, in fact. (That being said, I still think they'll make it as a WC.)
BuFfaLOFaN, justaBoss, Saskleaf and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
8 août 2022 à 22 h 10

Boston isn't "flying out of the gates" unless crutches and wheelchairs can fly
BuFfaLOFaN et zk97 a aimé ceci.
8 août 2022 à 22 h 19
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
A reminder that the Bruins are spending the first two months (at minimum) without Marchand/McAvoy/Grzlecyk/Carlo. Don't think they'll come flying out of the gate-quite the opposite, in fact. (That being said, I still think they'll make it as a WC.)

You definitely are seeing teams in the east smell blood in the water. The "old guard" Boston, Pitt, and Washington are in the final year(s) of their windows and have all committed to their veteran core. The up and comers are setting themselves up to fill the void. Whoever figures out how to win together now is staking their claim first and will probably look more attractive to free agents in the next few years as well.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
8 août 2022 à 23 h 47
KFTW
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 23,514
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
The best top 6 in the league? What are you on? The Sens don’t have an elite top 6, I’d easily take the Oilers or the Leafs top 6 before the Sens

Edit: You might be talking about Edmonton but no idea why you’d quote a post that talks about Hamonic and Zaitsev then

Elite no. But they have 5 guys that can get 70+ pts and Giroux can get 60.
8 août 2022 à 23 h 49
KFTW

First of all it was 27. Second of all , the gap will be much tighter this year and top teams will lose ground . Third of all, Sens had a ton of injuries and didn’t have the depth to overcome it . Now they have Debrincat , Pinto, Sanderson, Giroux and another year to their young core to progress.

2 potential 35+ goal scorers , another 2 30 goal scorers and 2 more 20-25 goal scorers . They also have one of the best defensive ready nhl prospect in the league as well as a solid #1D. And both their goalies posted over .910 last year
8 août 2022 à 23 h 54
So I decided to take several teams’s projected top 6 for next year and average out their totals to get the average goals/points you’d expect each player in that top 6 to get in 82 games, based on their numbers from last year. I also calculated average age for the top 6. Yes this exercise was done to see how Ottawa stacks up. Top 6 generally just stolen from the capfriendly depth charts, I’ll indicate where I deviated below.

Edmonton (27.5): 35 goals and 81 points
Toronto (27.2 for Kerfoot, 26.8 for Engvall): 34 goals and 83 points (Kerfoot) or 81 points (Engvall)
Ottawa (24.5): 32 goals and 70 points
Tampa Bay (28.2): 31 goals and 72 points
Florida (26.2): 36 goals and 79 points
Boston (32.7): 27 goals and 71 points
Carolina (25): 28 goals and 65 points
Colorado (27): 33 goals and 75 points
St. Louis (27.3): 28 goals and 76 points

Note: Cirelli replaced Namestnikov, Duclair replaced Hornqvist, Marchand replaced DeBrusk, Krejci’s 20-21 stats were used.

Honestly it’s pretty respectable. Basically already as good as Boston and Tampa, ahead of Carolina. Only a couple goals and like 10 points behind some of the other high end offensive teams. And several of these teams have guys projected to miss time (Marchand, Cirelli, Duclair, etc.). Not to mention Ottawa has by FAR the youngest top 6 (only Carolina comes close), and Giroux raises the average age by nearly 2 full years on his own lol (he’s actually the oldest player in any of these top sixes, excluding Boston). Given that I think Stutzle in particular has room to grow significantly (I wouldn’t be shocked if he was a 35 goal 90 point guy in his prime, which is a significant step up on the 22 goals and 58 points he had last year), and there’s probably some untapped potential in the rest of them too, even if Giroux regresses a little, Ottawa should still be able to score with the best teams. Their average goals per top 6 player is top 5 among these teams, and I looked at most of last year’s highest scoring teams and specifically the 4 Atlantic teams that made the playoffs.

I don’t think it’s really that much of a stretch to suggest that if Ottawa is able to bring in a top 4 RD, they could get off to a hot start and take away a playoff spot from one of the aging teams in the East that is suffering from injuries. Forsberg+Talbot should provide solid goaltending, Chabot+Zub are good top 4 guys and Sanderson should be too, so as long as we get a top 4 guy to make a rotation of 2 of Holden/Brannstrom/Hamonic be the 3rd pair and Zaitsev isn’t playing at all, the back end suddenly doesn’t look half bad.
csick et Devil a aimé ceci.
8 août 2022 à 23 h 56
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,816
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Boston isn't "flying out of the gates" unless crutches and wheelchairs can fly

Boston is going to sign Rodrigues and he’ll somehow be a 1C like the Pens again.
BuFfaLOFaN et zk97 a aimé ceci.
8 août 2022 à 23 h 59
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,816
So I decided to take several teams’s projected top 6 for next year and average out their totals to get the average goals/points you’d expect each player in that top 6 to get in 82 games, based on their numbers from last year. I also calculated average age for the top 6. Yes this exercise was done to see how Ottawa stacks up. Top 6 generally just stolen from the capfriendly depth charts, I’ll indicate where I deviated below.

Toronto (27.2 for Kerfoot, 26.8 for Engvall): 34 goals and 83 points (Kerfoot) or 81 points (Engvall)

Note: Cirelli replaced Namestnikov, Duclair replaced Hornqvist, Marchand replaced DeBrusk, Krejci’s 20-21 stats were used.

Honestly it’s pretty respectable. Basically already as good as Boston and Tampa, ahead of Carolina. Only a couple goals and like 10 points behind some of the other high end offensive teams. And several of these teams have guys projected to miss time (Marchand, Cirelli, Duclair, etc.). Not to mention Ottawa has by FAR the youngest top 6 (only Carolina comes close), and Giroux raises the average age by nearly 2 full years on his own lol (he’s actually the oldest player in any of these top sixes, excluding Boston). Given that I think Stutzle in particular has room to grow significantly (I wouldn’t be shocked if he was a 35 goal 90 point guy in his prime, which is a significant step up on the 22 goals and 58 points he had last year), and there’s probably some untapped potential in the rest of them too, even if Giroux regresses a little, Ottawa should still be able to score with the best teams. Their average goals per top 6 player is top 5 among these teams, and I looked at most of last year’s highest scoring teams and specifically the 4 Atlantic teams that made the playoffs.

I don’t think it’s really that much of a stretch to suggest that if Ottawa is able to bring in a top 4 RD, they could get off to a hot start and take away a playoff spot from one of the aging teams in the East that is suffering from injuries. Forsberg+Talbot should provide solid goaltending, Chabot+Zub are good top 4 guys and Sanderson should be too, so as long as we get a top 4 guy to make a rotation of 2 of Holden/Brannstrom/Hamonic be the 3rd pair and Zaitsev isn’t playing at all, the back end suddenly doesn’t look half bad.

It’s sad that Forsberg - Talbot will be the reason the Sens collapse if they do collapse..
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 0 h 1
KFTW

I find hilarious how much ppl underrate the Sens. They don’t have a true superstar as of now but there’s 5 guys that could lead the team in scoring rn . They’re very balanced and 5 of the top 6 could go for 70pts or more and Giroux can get 60.
Alfie11 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 0 h 1
Quoting: yikes
Boston is going to sign Rodrigues and he’ll somehow be a 1C like the Pens again.

Maybe he should sign 60 day "fractional #1 center" contracts. Play for rotation of teams wherever a need arises
9 août 2022 à 0 h 1
KFTW
It’s sad that Forsberg - Talbot will be the reason the Sens collapse if they do collapse..

I’d be shocked if that tandem is bad. I expect the Sens to score A LOT of goals but that goaltending duo should give them .910-.915 save percentage which is good enough
9 août 2022 à 0 h 6
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,426
Trouba named captain for the Rangers

Great move. I heard if anyone ever has their head down he’s always willing to give an elbow straight to the head
csick, MatthewsFan, Alfie11 and 5 others a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 0 h 18
KFTW

Great move. I heard if anyone ever has their head down he’s always willing to give an elbow straight to the head

That means he won’t get traded. Where’s the money coming from for the young guys? Lol
MatthewsFan, Alfie11, Devil and 4 others a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 0 h 19
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

Bye bye Nils
csick, Alfie11, Devil and 4 others a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 0 h 21

I mean right now it looks like a major hole in the top 4 or injuries (we were destroyed by injuries last year) would be more likely reasons. Both Forsberg and Talbot have been solid tandem guys for a while. I think it’s pretty reasonable to expect average goaltending overall, and at least one guy at a time should be not ice cold (don’t even need them to trade hot streaks, although that would be nice, as long as they don’t both suck at the same time).
csick a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 0 h 23
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,426
Quoting: csick
That means he won’t get traded. Where’s the money coming from for the young guys? Lol

Panarin trade
csick a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage