SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Pittsburgh Penguins signed Kasperi Kapanen (2 Years / $3,200,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

21 juill. 2022 à 17 h 51
Hockey IQ
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,467
Quoting: Font10
A little overpaid, but it's not that bad. He's a great middle 6 guy with nice defensive skills to help.

Quoting: JackJohnson4Norris
He's a top 9 forward, but lacks consistency. As a pens fan, I was hoping he would take less or we'd move on from him

Quoting: Emoon
less than his qo? W

Quoting: punchmaster11
Guess he's staying around for the time being.

Quoting: TheRealisticGuy
His QO was 800K ...

Quoting: Jco5ta5
Maybe the second year brought down the AAV?

Quoting: Nathaniel
How did this dude get us the 15th overall pick

Quoting: Jco5ta5
Pittsburgh is over the cap now. Yeesh.

The QO is not the amount he was making on the last year of his contract. All contracts are build differently and Kapanen QO was 800K
Timo Meier is making 6M but his QO is 10M
Under Calculators, there is the option of : Qualifiying Offer Calculator and you can see the QO of players
Kapanen was at 800K

Quoting: HockeyScotty
They are still carrying 1 too many blueliners so I think Ty Smith (waiver exempt) starts in the minors. Friedman probably doesn't make the squad if P.O. Joseph impresses in camp.

Just carry 1 scratch forward instead of 2 and they'll be cap compliant.

Quoting: Missouri
I was hoping we'd pay him around $2,000,000 max. He was ok during the season but playoffs I was very disappointed. He was quiet and didn't use his strengths (speed) to make a difference in the game.

Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
2.35 was the QO. You need to calculate the signing bonus he earned.

Quoting: jpsnow13
Some Pens fans think he's top 6 material based on some flashes when in reality he's still not established enough in the league to be a regular top 9 because of his lack consistency.

Potential is there, but this contract could go south real fast and be his last in that city.

Quoting: dopplsan
the point here may have been less about keeping Kapanen, and more about granting the team an additional buy-out window due to this resolving the arbitration filing.

It’s not a good contract; but, it’s kind of a savvy move, if that’s what the purpose here was.

Quoting: Capitalfail67
WHAT?!?!?! Ty Smith has so much potential? how could that even be possible with how awesome he's been so far in the NHL... lol

Anyone interested in buying low on a slightly used Kaspari kapanen still with elite horsepower?

No one?

Well I guess now we’re just going to watch him turn up inside the blue line for 2 more years…
21 juill. 2022 à 17 h 54
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,177
Modifié 21 juill. 2022 à 18 h 0
Quoting: Pens3lieve
Anyone interested in buying low on a slightly used Kaspari kapanen still with elite horsepower?

No one?

Well I guess now we’re just going to watch him turn up inside the blue line for 2 more years…

My man, he’s had two years already to turn it up, he’s 26, and y’all are bringing back the exact same team from the last two years.
21 juill. 2022 à 19 h 9
Hockey IQ
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,467
Quoting: dopplsan
My man, he’s had two years already to turn it up, he’s 26, and y’all are bringing back the exact same team from the last two years.

Turn up (meaning put on the brakes and not go to the front of the net) is different than turn it up lol
Kapanen has never been able to turn it up that’s the problem

Yeah unless we get some major changes we’re another first round exit prob
dopplsan a aimé ceci.
21 juill. 2022 à 19 h 21
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,177
Turn up (meaning put on the brakes and not go to the front of the net) is different than turn it up lol

Ohhhhhh got it. My bad. Misread the post.
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
21 juill. 2022 à 20 h 59
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 28
"For players who are on expiring contracts that were signed after July 10, 2020:
The Qualifying Offer is limited to 120% of their previous contracts annual average (AAV)"

Your 800K theory is wrong.

Did you not check to see when Kapanen's expiring contract was signed? It was before July 2020. So yes, his qualifying offer was based on the final year's base salary, not the AAV, which only applies to newer contracts (signed after July 10, 2020).
TheRealisticGuy a aimé ceci.
21 juill. 2022 à 21 h 49
Habs4Ever
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,737
"For players who are on expiring contracts that were signed after July 10, 2020:
The Qualifying Offer is limited to 120% of their previous contracts annual average (AAV)"

So CapFriendly were wrong on Kapanen QO ?
21 juill. 2022 à 21 h 55
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169

No one?

just want you to know it's very annoying when you quote reply everyone whose already posted in the thread. you're not that important, stop doing it please.
21 juill. 2022 à 21 h 55
FanOfAllTeams
Mentions "j'aime": 296

So do we know what the QO is yet or no?
21 juill. 2022 à 22 h 3
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169

Kapanen's contract was signed in 2019, so as usual draft_em_sign_em_trade_em doesn't know what he's talking about.

It would've been 800,000 * 105%. Find it very funny that the Penguins got him to agree to that.
TheRealisticGuy a aimé ceci.
21 juill. 2022 à 22 h 29
Habs4Ever
Mentions "j'aime": 1,737
Quoting: FanOfAllTeams
So do we know what the QO is yet or no?

800K * 105% like mentioned above
21 juill. 2022 à 22 h 53
FanOfAllTeams
Mentions "j'aime": 296
800K * 105% like mentioned above

Ok. I saw in here that there was a debate.
22 juill. 2022 à 10 h 26
Let's go Pens!
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 382
2 years to prove that he's not a bust. I hope Kapanen bounces back from last season and make this contract a steal for us.
22 juill. 2022 à 17 h 41
Retired V2 V3 GM
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,128

We did upgrade our defence at least. Thats really the only change. Hoping we bring Rodriguez back. We also could see a big impact from rookies this season like Big Z, O'Connor, POJ, and the newly acquired Poehling.
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
26 juill. 2022 à 20 h 38
NoQuitInNewYork
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 743
He’s a good player but the $3,200,000? That’s a bit much.
27 juill. 2022 à 21 h 37
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 541

The key phrase there is "limited to". That's the maximum it can be, not the minimum. This was to end the practice of young players asking for heavily back-end loaded bridge contracts with a ridiculously high salary in the last year to try to become a UFA before they had the years in to qualify.

For example, Alex Debrincat's AAV is $6.4M AAV but his salary is $9M in the last year, so the team has to offer $9M (assuming they don't extend him first) to hang onto his RFA rights. If DeBrincat had signed that same contract a year later, his qualifying offer would be a more reasonable $7.68M even with the $9M salary in the last year. For some reason Kapanen did the opposite and went for a low salary in the last year. Maybe he was more worried about getting bought out than becoming a UFA.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage