Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 12
IG vincemark78
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 82
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
I think Pens won for just a little bit in this trade. You can say it's a fair one. If Petry plays like the season before and Poehling improves his game, then it'll be a huge win for us. On the other hand, Matheson showed some improve in his game, specially defensively. We'll see the result on the ice...

I don't know man Matheson had at least 3 goals go in off him in the playoffs... his positioning is terrible in his own end. TBH, Marino's isn't much better. In Game 7, who was it that couldn't get the clear, leading to their game tying goal? I'll give you one guess. It wasn't Matheson.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 13
Hockey IQ
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,467
Quoting: aadoyle
I got a feeling Friedman and Rudweal go on waivers

But remember hextall was the one that extended both of them and brought over friedman from PHI so I doubt they both get waived… idk
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 14
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 176
Petry is the superior player.
vmark, jpsnow13 et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 14
IG vincemark78
I think Pens won for just a little bit in this trade. You can say it's a fair one. If Petry plays like the season before and Poehling improves his game, then it'll be a huge win for us. On the other hand, Matheson showed some improve in his game, specially defensively. We'll see the result on the ice...

He might've improved but he was absolutely terrible before that. For me, he is still abjectly lost in his own end. Case in point, in the playoffs, at least 3 NYR goals went in off him. I don't trust him to play good defensive hockey in the playoffs, and nobody in MTL should either.

My bad it deleted my first one then posted it... but yea he sucks haha
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 16
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,231
Quoting: vmark
He might've improved but he was absolutely terrible before that. For me, he is still abjectly lost in his own end. Case in point, in the playoffs, at least 3 NYR goals went in off him. I don't trust him to play good defensive hockey in the playoffs, and nobody in MTL should either.

I don't think you watched Petry for the entire season, he was also a giveaway machine in his own end (he did improve at the end of the season), but I don't think you're upgrading much defensively.
vmark a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 16
Hockey IQ
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,467
Yea they are going to move someone else most likely Pettersson. You say a couple old guys like a clueless hockey fan here. Two are on 3 years deals. Letang is a freak of nature and a legend. He is still one of the best top pair guys in the league. Nothing about that has changed. Say what you want about Rutta but he clearly knows how to play with talented players ie he's probably smart. But Petry has been a top pairing guy for like 7 years at least. He might not be getting any better but he doesn't have to be RIGHT NOW IN THIS MOMENT he is 100%, hands down, WAY BETTER than Marino and Matheson. Not even close. Smith is 22. He has a legit ceiling. These trades made us much better today than when we got bounced by NYR.

Perhaps you misunderstood me….I do not hate smith or petry at all… I do not like giving up on Marino tho and matheson had just started to find himself…
Petry is 34 and letang is 35… a decline is coming and to deny that is almost impossible …
At the end of the day it doesn’t matter bc the pens have a couple more years to be able to maybe win a round or two but I don’t see contender looking at this roster
vmark a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 18
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
People are focusing too much on Matheson’s skill (or lack of it) and less on the fact that he tried to murder Elias Pettersson. Human garbage.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 18
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 62
Wait I was told Petry was worth a 1st and Stankoven easily. What happened.
kdawg32086, OldNYIfan et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 19
IG vincemark78
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
By every metric, stat... Petry is a far better defenseman. Dont know where these ppl get their info. Top15 RHD the last 5 years. Those RHD are almost impossible to acquire in trade. If he didnt request a trade, he'd still be in Montreal. This org is always stubborn about their history, pride and reputation.

Exactly. He is def not some "deadweight" old guy. Man wants to win. I can't believe they actually did this trade in MTL, but I guess Hexy convinced them Matheson didn't suck, or they really liked his offense. Either way you're right I can't believe we got someone who is this good and also responsible in his own end. Our blue line is leaps and bounds better now than it was last year. We'll see who else he moves but I imagine we aren't going to pay Pettersson 4M to be a 3rd pairing guy again.

Gotta say I'm jazzed up. These are some legit big boy moves.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 19
Mentions "j'aime": 2,274
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I don't think you watched Petry for the entire season, he was also a giveaway machine in his own end (he did improve at the end of the season), but I don't think you're upgrading much defensively.

To be fair he was known for the turnovers more so with Edmonton. He got much better in Montreal then regressed last season with the whole covid situation and his family not being able to cross over in a terrible year for the whole team.

This really isn't a risk for Pittsburgh. They already pushed all their chips to the middle with the long term contracts for Letang, Malkin, Rakell. They have their window and are doubling down. It's smart. Petry would never be available in any other year but this past year is an exception. He should flourish in Pittsburgh when he consistently scores 40 plus pts while on the 2nd PP. Letang being there wont be much change after being behind Subban/Weber
vmark a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 20
IG vincemark78

Well look at that team. They were hopeless. Not trying to be a dick just saying. And no I haven't even watched him play much at all. I just did watch Matheson a ton. And I was hoping we would get someone who was more physical and responsible. He checks those boxes.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 21
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
People are focusing too much on Matheson’s skill (or lack of it) and less on the fact that he tried to murder Elias Pettersson. Human garbage.

I forgot about that one tears of joy
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 23
IG vincemark78
Quoting: Pens3lieve
Perhaps you misunderstood me….I do not hate smith or petry at all… I do not like giving up on Marino tho and matheson had just started to find himself…
Petry is 34 and letang is 35… a decline is coming and to deny that is almost impossible …
At the end of the day it doesn’t matter bc the pens have a couple more years to be able to maybe win a round or two but I don’t see contender looking at this roster

Well if we're healthy all bets are off. We have the worst injury luck. Also get targeted by assholes on other teams who try to take out our skill players. I don't think we gave up on Marino I think his trajectory stagnated and we needed cap space. He was overpaid for what he brought. Matheson looked great at times last year but he also had horrible awareness in his own end. You could see it all playoffs this year, and last year too. Petry is just better right now. And yeah, our window is 3 years max at the moment.

Ride or die baby
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 31
Let's go Pens!
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 382

My bad it deleted my first one then posted it... but yea he sucks haha

Well, I think, in the worst scenario for the Pens, it'll be a fair deal. And, in the best one. it'll be a homer. Petry and Matheson are playing in the same level, offensively. But, it's no-brainer that Petry is better on his blue line. And we still got Poehling, which can improve and be a good bottom-6 player for us. So, I like the odds for the Pens here. We should be happy with this trade. And I am.
Andy_Dick et vmark a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 33
Well, I think, in the worst scenario for the Pens, it'll be a fair deal. And, in the best one. it'll be a homer. Petry and Matheson are playing in the same level, offensively. But, it's no-brainer that Petry is better on his blue line. And we still got Poehling, which can improve and be a good bottom-6 player for us. So, I like the odds for the Pens here. We should be happy with this trade. And I am.

You'll be happy. Petry hasnt regressed at all. He's only had his trajectory go up in his 30's. Smooth skater, physical, great offensive instincts off the rush. I thought whomever could fit him in their salary structure would get a great deal and the Pens got it!. Petry immediately became a huge difference maker when he arrived from Edmonton in 2015. One of Bergevin's best trades!
vmark et MountRoyal a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 34
FanOfAllTeams
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 296
If Matheson is on Montreal’s top pair. Kent Hughes is full of crap when he said “ were trying to win” and make the playoffs. Matheson doesn’t do this as the top pair d.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 37
WentWughes
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
You'll be happy. Petry hasnt regressed at all. He's only had his trajectory go up in his 30's. Smooth skater, physical, great offensive instincts off the rush. I thought whomever could fit him in their salary structure would get a great deal and the Pens got it!. Petry immediately became a huge difference maker when he arrived from Edmonton in 2015. One of Bergevin's best trades!

Petry's WAR has dropped 3 years in a row, while not a lot, it is a sign of regression. He was stuck in the mud last year and his IQ went right out the window, maybe it was part of him being disgruntled in Montreal, but there were definitely signs of major regression last year.
16 juill. 2022 à 17 h 6
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,692
I'm fine with the return. I wish Habs were able to get more cap saving but this will have to do for now. This trade was basically just to accommodate Petry's trade request. Had Petry not asked to be traded, the return would have been better suited to what Habs actually needed. (Cap space + picks).
16 juill. 2022 à 17 h 8
Canes fan
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,578
This ain't no 1st rounder for the habs, but they did clear out Petry's contract while picking up a solid d-man in Matheson plus a 4th round pick. From Pittsburgh's point of view you get a solid veteran d-man in Petry who is still a solid 2nd pair guy, and a talented young bottom 6 forward. This trade makes sense for both sides, but I like it a tad more for the penguins.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 17 h 10
retired
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,761
Quoting: F50marco
I'm fine with the return. I wish Habs were able to get more cap saving but this will have to do for now. This trade was basically just to accommodate Petry's trade request. Had Petry not asked to be traded, the return would have been better suited to what Habs actually needed. (Cap space + picks).

doubt it. there just wasn't much of a market for him given his cap hit, age, and performance.
16 juill. 2022 à 17 h 12
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 61
Quoting: DongLord23
HAHAHAHA where were all the Habs fans saying Petry would get a 1st back.

Still here.
My thinking was that he was worth more than Chariot, and he did get us a 1st.
We all are just arm-chairing this.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 17 h 16
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,692
Quoting: DirtyDangle
doubt it. there just wasn't much of a market for him given his cap hit, age, and performance.

(More cap space) I should say. Not the full contract off the books but less cap then Matheson. Honestly if Petry hadn't asked to be traded, I would have kept him over this return. IMHO.
16 juill. 2022 à 17 h 17
retired
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,761
Quoting: F50marco
(More cap space) I should say. Not the full contract off the books but less cap then Matheson. Honestly if Petry hadn't asked to be traded, I would have kept him over this return. IMHO.

for sure. habs are looking like they are in desperate need for a puck mover now that petry is gone.
16 juill. 2022 à 17 h 27
WentWughes
Quoting: Zinger
This ain't no 1st rounder for the habs, but they did clear out Petry's contract while picking up a solid d-man in Matheson plus a 4th round pick. From Pittsburgh's point of view you get a solid veteran d-man in Petry who is still a solid 2nd pair guy, and a talented young bottom 6 forward. This trade makes sense for both sides, but I like it a tad more for the penguins.

Poehling isn't a talented bottom 6 forward. He was a 4th liner last year and looked like he didn't belong. Maybe Pittsburgh can bring out his potential, but it's unlikely.
16 juill. 2022 à 17 h 35
Petry's WAR has dropped 3 years in a row, while not a lot, it is a sign of regression. He was stuck in the mud last year and his IQ went right out the window, maybe it was part of him being disgruntled in Montreal, but there were definitely signs of major regression last year.

Of course. Regression happened last season. Even with that said. I stick to my point, he’s a great value bet. This is one of the best examples of a WIN-WIN trade. Habs don’t need LD but Matheson is a legit top 4 that is underpaid. Montreal will be able to get a few picks at some point with the cap going up.

I’m disappointed there’s no interesting prospect coming back as I rather they tank but Matheson will easily return some value down the line.

It’s a smart deal by both sides. Would Montreal have gotten a bigger return had they waited? Yes!

But, Petry wanted out and Hughes as a new GM is simply taking a loss here for a win down the road as he wants to let other players around the league know he will do right by them.
He accommodated Petry in a tough situation.

A+ by both teams. This certainly wasn’t a straight forward deal.
KSIxSKULLS et vmark a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage