Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

18 mars 2023 à 12 h 38
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,341
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Petry was worth a 1st, and now Matheson is worth a 1st + lol

I couldnt care less about a 1st. ppl talk about every 1st here like they are franchise savers. The truth is even in this draft, the bottom falls out after 22 picks, and its a guessing game. You are better off with multiple 2nds than a late 1st. they have 14 picks this draft. Matheson wont be traded anytime soon unless its a 1st, A prospect and roster player
KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
25 mars 2023 à 10 h 15
Quoting: DongLord23
HAHAHAHA where were all the Habs fans saying Petry would get a 1st back.

He got more but false equivalency seems to be a mainstay here. This is the same nonsense I hear when ppl say Habs fans were wrong cause Josh Anderson didn’t get a 1st at the 2022 TDL.
He didn’t get a 1st because, one, he wasn’t traded, and two, he’s worth more than a 1st.

Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
There were far more ppl that were saying Petry was a cap dump.

I had him going for a 2nd and a 3rd. Not too satisfied getting another left handed D but if they were going to trade Petry then they needed some NHL experience after trading Romanov.

They save a few million and Poehling had no more role on this team with Suzuki-Dvorak-Dach-Evans down the middle. 4th for Poehling is meh.

Of course. Regression happened last season. Even with that said. I stick to my point, he’s a great value bet. This is one of the best examples of a WIN-WIN trade. Habs don’t need LD but Matheson is a legit top 4 that is underpaid. Montreal will be able to get a few picks at some point with the cap going up.

I’m disappointed there’s no interesting prospect coming back as I rather they tank but Matheson will easily return some value down the line.

It’s a smart deal by both sides. Would Montreal have gotten a bigger return had they waited? Yes!

But, Petry wanted out and Hughes as a new GM is simply taking a loss here for a win down the road as he wants to let other players around the league know he will do right by them.
He accommodated Petry in a tough situation.

A+ by both teams. This certainly wasn’t a straight forward deal.

People invent all their nonsense with confirmation bias. I said all this, the day of the trade, and the day after, yet ppl here think all Habs fans were wrong about Petry trade value still to this day, one specific 'fan' called him, last week, a cap dump, as well as Matheson. Hughes did a masterful job and got the best possible return in a market with no money. This certainly wasn’t McDonagh to the Preds for nothing but cap space.

Matheson is now a PP Qb D playing 25-30 mins a night with 17 points in his last 21 games. He won’t be traded, and just like Josh its not because he’s not worth a 1st, he’s worth much more!

Seems a lot of Habs fans were correct and the haters take another L
25 mars 2023 à 11 h 16
Ready for St.Louis to turn Matheson into a monster

Good call.
25 mars 2023 à 12 h 7
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,271
Good call.

I would love to see what he can do for a full season
DucharmetheDOMinator a aimé ceci.
25 mars 2023 à 16 h 32
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 686
He got more but false equivalency seems to be a mainstay here. This is the same nonsense I hear when ppl say Habs fans were wrong cause Josh Anderson didn’t get a 1st at the 2022 TDL.
He didn’t get a 1st because, one, he wasn’t traded, and two, he’s worth more than a 1st.

People invent all their nonsense with confirmation bias. I said all this, the day of the trade, and the day after, yet ppl here think all Habs fans were wrong about Petry trade value still to this day, one specific 'fan' called him, last week, a cap dump, as well as Matheson. Hughes did a masterful job and got the best possible return in a market with no money. This certainly wasn’t McDonagh to the Preds for nothing but cap space.

Matheson is now a PP Qb D playing 25-30 mins a night with 17 points in his last 21 games. He won’t be traded, and just like Josh its not because he’s not worth a 1st, he’s worth much more!

Seems a lot of Habs fans were correct and the haters take another L

Kent Hughes easily going to get a 1st round pick for Petry. He got a 1st for Chiarot! That's literally all I heard for weeks. I know it's not all Habs fans that were saying that. Probably not even the majority. Just the big time homers. The ones that seem to be the most active online.

"false equivalency" Or homers being wrong. The usual on here.

He didn't get a 1st round pick end of story lol.
25 mars 2023 à 19 h 38
Modifié 25 mars 2023 à 19 h 50

He didn't get a 1st round pick end of story lol.

That is the same as saying I didnt die from diabetes after eating that triple cheeseburger, they are healthy, end of story. Just dismiss all context! Whatever makes you feel better in your diet and hockey analysis

That isnt being wrong. There were multiple Wings fans and CBJ fans claiming you'd need to put forth a 1st to dump Petry. That is being wrong. Not receiving a puck mover in Matheson that can be flipped for more than a 1st. You dont get to say hes not a 1st rnd pick return equivalent when everyone knows his return today will be greater. Same as you dont get to say cheeseburgers are healthy with the final diagnosis from your diet far into the future.
25 mars 2023 à 21 h 42
That is the same as saying I didnt die from diabetes after eating that triple cheeseburger, they are healthy, end of story. Just dismiss all context! Whatever makes you feel better in your diet and hockey analysis

That isnt being wrong. There were multiple Wings fans and CBJ fans claiming you'd need to put forth a 1st to dump Petry. That is being wrong. Not receiving a puck mover in Matheson that can be flipped for more than a 1st. You dont get to say hes not a 1st rnd pick return equivalent when everyone knows his return today will be greater. Same as you dont get to say cheeseburgers are healthy with the final diagnosis from your diet far into the future.

It is being wrong lmao. People said he was worth a 1st & he didn't get one back. What is this mental gymnastics.

Answer this question. Did Petry get a 1st round pick back?

"Not receiving a puck mover in Matheson that can be flipped for more than a 1st."

I just gotta laugh at Habs fans thinking every one of their players is worth a 1st.
25 mars 2023 à 21 h 49
WentWughes
It is being wrong lmao. People said he was worth a 1st & he didn't get one back. What is this mental gymnastics.

"Not receiving a puck mover in Matheson that can be flipped for more than a 1st."

I just gotta laugh at Habs fans thinking every one of their players is worth a 1st.

This trade is absolutely equivalent to getting a 1st round pick. A top pairing defender in his prime with term is most definitely worth a 1st round pick. What are you even saying?
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
26 mars 2023 à 12 h 23

Are you drunk? Its impossible to argue with people that simply like to argue.
26 mars 2023 à 12 h 28
This trade is absolutely equivalent to getting a 1st round pick. A top pairing defender in his prime with term is most definitely worth a 1st round pick. What are you even saying?

He didnt get a 1st back. Whats he's saying essentially is that if McDavid was traded for Matthews, Marner and Nylander yet Oilers fans said McDavid was worth at least 1st, they didnt their 1st round pick so they are wrong.

Yet, then talks about mental gymnastics. I cant believe i have to explain this but ill speak like im speaking to a child.

If Petry is worth 1st then Kent Hughes isnt offered a 1st but instead, say Brayden Point, Hughes isnt going to say no, not Point! I wanted a 1st round pick. You take the best offer. Matheson was the best offer and he's worth more than a 1st. Thus he was wrong and so were the haters in this thread that wont ever show up yet claim to this day they were right cause of confirmation bias like this guy. But live in whatever delusional fantasy land you want where if you dont get the exact specific ask then a trade is a fail no matter the end game.
26 mars 2023 à 22 h 21
He didnt get a 1st back. Whats he's saying essentially is that if McDavid was traded for Matthews, Marner and Nylander yet Oilers fans said McDavid was worth at least 1st, they didnt their 1st round pick so they are wrong.

Yet, then talks about mental gymnastics. I cant believe i have to explain this but ill speak like im speaking to a child.

If Petry is worth 1st then Kent Hughes isnt offered a 1st but instead, say Brayden Point, Hughes isnt going to say no, not Point! I wanted a 1st round pick. You take the best offer. Matheson was the best offer and he's worth more than a 1st. Thus he was wrong and so were the haters in this thread that wont ever show up yet claim to this day they were right cause of confirmation bias like this guy. But live in whatever delusional fantasy land you want where if you dont get the exact specific ask then a trade is a fail no matter the end game.

Thank you. He didn't get a 1st back, despite many fans saying he would. We agree. Glad we can settle that.

Saying "WELL ACKSHUALLY MATHESON IS WORTH A 1st (he wasn't and still isn't) SO HE TECHINCALLY GOT A 1st" is mental gymnastics. Enough of the rambling about irrelevant scenarios you made up in your head.

Matheson was not anywhere close to a 1st when the trade happened. If Matheson could've been moved for a 1st Pittsburgh who was in dire need of cap space would've done that. Let's be realistic and not delusional.
26 mars 2023 à 22 h 30

"A top pairing defender in his prime with term is most definitely worth a 1st round pick."

Listen I know this might be tough. Someone who is technically playing on a top pair doesn't make them a top pair defender. Why do I even have to explain that to you lmao. Does your brain turn off when stuff gets Montreal related? Also a 29 year isn't in their prime.

He's 29, making 4.75M for another 3 years, and has been either really bad or average for his entire career.

A 39 game sample size doesn't change that.
26 mars 2023 à 23 h 33
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 143
Thank you. He didn't get a 1st back, despite many fans saying he would. We agree. Glad we can settle that.

Saying "WELL ACKSHUALLY MATHESON IS WORTH A 1st (he wasn't and still isn't) SO HE TECHINCALLY GOT A 1st" is mental gymnastics. Enough of the rambling about irrelevant scenarios you made up in your head.

Matheson was not anywhere close to a 1st when the trade happened. If Matheson could've been moved for a 1st Pittsburgh who was in dire need of cap space would've done that. Let's be realistic and not delusional.

This is a nonsensical line of reasoning. Hughes didn't trade Petry for picks specifically because he wanted an experienced defenceman to shoulder tough minutes, so we'll never know whether he could have gotten a 1st. The speculation around Petry's trade value was based on a misunderstanding of what management wanted out of the trade.

Hughes was able to finagle a player he obviously knew a fair bit about as his former agent and who he believed (correctly, it turned out) could be a top pair defender for the team. Frankly, that is worth more than a late 1st to most people.
27 mars 2023 à 1 h 55
WentWughes
"A top pairing defender in his prime with term is most definitely worth a 1st round pick."

Listen I know this might be tough. Someone who is technically playing on a top pair doesn't make them a top pair defender. Why do I even have to explain that to you lmao. Does your brain turn off when stuff gets Montreal related? Also a 29 year isn't in their prime.

He's 29, making 4.75M for another 3 years, and has been either really bad or average for his entire career.

A 39 game sample size doesn't change that.

You're really gonna try an insult me while embarassing yourself? don't get butthurt because you got embarrassed and can't handle the heat. Stay off of social media if you can't handle the truth. Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Do some research.
capsfan2121 et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
28 mars 2023 à 18 h 59
Quoting: Colonel_Green
This is a nonsensical line of reasoning. Hughes didn't trade Petry for picks specifically because he wanted an experienced defenceman to shoulder tough minutes, so we'll never know whether he could have gotten a 1st. The speculation around Petry's trade value was based on a misunderstanding of what management wanted out of the trade.

Hughes was able to finagle a player he obviously knew a fair bit about as his former agent and who he believed (correctly, it turned out) could be a top pair defender for the team. Frankly, that is worth more than a late 1st to most people.

The comments that said Petry would return a 1st round pick were nonsensical. I called them out. Now the same people that said he would return a 1st round pick are performing mental gymnastics to justify their bad takes.
oilersguy a aimé ceci.
29 mars 2023 à 13 h 13
I make typos
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991
The comments that said Petry would return a 1st round pick were nonsensical. I called them out. Now the same people that said he would return a 1st round pick are performing mental gymnastics to justify their bad takes.

Don't argue it, every player on Habs who is remotely good can and will get back a first, its evitable, it doesn't matter that according to the Habs media Edmundson was suppose to get back Bourgault and a first and he didn't even get traded Kent "the perfect" Hughes can do no wrong
Sharkie69, DongLord23 et NoVaSpartan a aimé ceci.
29 mars 2023 à 17 h 28
Modifié 30 mars 2023 à 18 h 18

You're really gonna try an insult me while embarassing yourself? don't get butthurt because you got embarrassed and can't handle the heat. Stay off of social media if you can't handle the truth. Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Do some research.

FqFRsPIWAAEl4yK?format=png&name=large

FqEgqrCXwAENkFy?format=png&name=small

FqLi5XtXsAEV1r4?format=png&name=large

Lol. This is why a random analytical visual isn't reflective of a player's value. Might explain why you think everyone is worth a 1st.

"don't get butthurt because you got embarrassed and can't handle the heat. Stay off of social media if you can't handle the truth. " How cringey are you lmao? Hard to imagine you're a grown man typing stuff like this.
30 mars 2023 à 8 h 21
WentWughes
Quoting: oilersguy
Don't argue it, every player on Habs who is remotely good can and will get back a first, its evitable, it doesn't matter that according to the Habs media Edmundson was suppose to get back Bourgault and a first and he didn't even get traded Kent "the perfect" Hughes can do no wrong

Edmundson was injured... that's why he wasn't traded. You traded a #3 and 2 1sts for a #2 so I don't know why Edmundson for 2 1sts was out of question.
11 avr. 2023 à 13 h 35
Quoting: oilersguy

Matheson has 26 pts in his last 25 games. He's been a top10 producer among D going back months. To even gaslight here and make it tribal with the Habs hate is such a coward move. Talk about the facts. Matheson has well over performed what even the most optimistic Habs fan believed possible.

Are you saying the Habs didnt get what they wanted in the end? Are you saying that Hughes hasnt done better than what most here expected?

The answer is fairly obvious even to some of the worst here.
14 avr. 2023 à 13 h 15
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,926
Moving on from Marino to Petry via a few trades is one of the big reasons Pitt missed the playoffs
14 avr. 2023 à 13 h 18
Quoting: aadoyle
Moving on from Marino to Petry via a few trades is one of the big reasons Pitt missed the playoffs

Marino/Matheson pair would have solved their puck moving. They had a giant gap between the forwards and defenseman. They would dump and chase with no speed from the forwards, this a big reason why Hextall was fired. Its fine trading for Petry but they had nobody to complement him. Dumoulin fell off a cliff this season
14 avr. 2023 à 14 h 42
WentWughes
Marino/Matheson pair would have solved their puck moving. They had a giant gap between the forwards and defenseman. They would dump and chase with no speed from the forwards, this a big reason why Hextall was fired. Its fine trading for Petry but they had nobody to complement him. Dumoulin fell off a cliff this season

Matheson would've been the difference between this team making the playoffs and missing. Without Matheson we're fighting for last place.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
19 avr. 2023 à 11 h 49
Matheson would've been the difference between this team making the playoffs and missing. Without Matheson we're fighting for last place.

Of course. Regression happened last season. Even with that said. I stick to my point, he’s a great value bet. This is one of the best examples of a WIN-WIN trade. Habs don’t need LD but Matheson is a legit top 4 that is underpaid. Montreal will be able to get a few picks at some point with the cap going up.

I’m disappointed there’s no interesting prospect coming back as I rather they tank but Matheson will easily return some value down the line.

It’s a smart deal by both sides. Would Montreal have gotten a bigger return had they waited? Yes!

But, Petry wanted out and Hughes as a new GM is simply taking a loss here for a win down the road as he wants to let other players around the league know he will do right by them.

Exactly why I wanted picks instead of a top4 puck mover, originally. I knew Matheson's worth in the offseason but i wanted this team to be as bad as possible. If the Habs didn't have quite so many injuries, they would have been bottom 10 not bottom 5, easily. It worked out in the end, fortunately for Hughes and he looks like a genius.
And, the Habs still got a legit solution on the top pair going forward. Win-Win.
KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
10 juin 2023 à 6 h 39
Quoting: Colonel_Green
From Montreal's perspective, I have to think that either we're going to be trading Matheson to somebody else or that this is a precursor to trading Edmundson, because (a) this trade by itself creates almost no cap space and actually creates less long-term financial flexibility since Matheson's contract lasts longer than Petry's and (b) we don't need more left D.

The question remains to this day.

Quoting: Nake_qc
Still here.
My thinking was that he was worth more than Chariot, and he did get us a 1st.
We all are just arm-chairing this.

So I'm going to try it! Last Summer I assumed he would be built up only to be dealt at a high price. I dont think the price can be any higher in a bad free agent market where teams are overpaying Dmen inferior to Mikey M that havent played his minutes or role as he did on the top pair last season going a PPG to finish the season in the last 25 games.

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Steal for Pittsburgh, id much rather have Petry than Matheson, Petry may be more expensive but he’s better than Matheson and I don’t like the term on Matheson

How about now? Not too shabby at a 3 year term and the cap expected to rise significantly in 2-3 years while 8 year contracts are given out like candy.

Quoting: SevenLeg
Can't say I'm super satisfied with the return, but we're far from the days people were saying it'd take a 1st to offload Petry.

The market was set by McDonagh & Petry - teams are too tight to the cap and MTL didn't want to retain. Poehling was going to be lost on waivers as well.

What is the market for Matheson now?

Gavrikov 5.9M AAV... Severson 6.3M.

Matheson 3 years at 4.9M AAV should yield a massive return IF that was Hughes end game. Entirely depends if they want to be competitive this year and where Mike fits in the leadership of the group as his top pair minutes will be invaluable to a young D. If the Ducks want to follow the CBJ model for legitimacy, I'd look there especially when they are looking to move Comtois and Gibson. I wouldnt be interested at all in Gibson at 30 year of age and Comtois is negligible at best value BUT they are trying to shake things up it seems after losing the lottery, same as CBJ. The Habs are in a tricky spot in the division, their core best will come in 2-3 years which will line up with a paradigm shift in the division but they'll be competing with the Sens-Sabres primes tho I have my doubts that both can get over the hump at this point. The Habs cant be too patient as well when more of their guys like Guhle-Slafkovsky-Dach-Xhekaj-Beck-Montembault will need to be paid in 2-3 years.
Matheson could be the unheralded guy in a PLD trade if Chevy is serious about getting now help but the the 8 team no trade clause would be a problem as well as PLD's alleged 9M AAV salary request.
I think they are drafting Reinbacher with the 5th pick and he seems ready to step into an NHL lineup after playing professional hockey already. If the trade interest in Harris isnt there, I'd look to move Matheson/Xhekaj. The left is just too crowded and they need to get bigger up front. Boqvist in CBJ has to be available now with their influx of RHD, another option though not ideal with Adam's warts in his game. Anaheim/CBJ/ MTL could be very active leading up to the draft. Interesting times.
30 juin 2023 à 19 h 44
WentWughes
Matheson - Excelling as Montreal's #1 D, had some injury problems

Petry - Pittsburgh trying to dump him for nothing
Poehling - Not qualified, FA Bound

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation