(VGK/CAR) - Pacioretty, Coghlan for future considerations

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

14 juill. 2022 à 6 h 20
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
What the actual ****. They’re seriously giving up a point a game goal scoring 2-way winger and a perfectly good 3rd pair D on good contracts for absolutely nothing.

Anyways, go Canes! Maybe this means we’ll get to see KK centering Patches like I dreamed of back in 2018.
areax91 et Hurricanes_WPG a aimé ceci.
14 juill. 2022 à 7 h 39
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
This trade is proof that no matter what someone will troll vote on a trade. For this trade to be good for Vegas, Pacioretty would need to get hurt enough to massively damage his ability to be effective, but not enough to just go on permanent LTIR, and even then they had to add another player who at worst is just a 13th forward/AHL call up. Even if the odds of Coughlan becoming a significant positive value are near 0, the chances of him being a net negative are actually 0, so it's still a win to get him included.

Waddell just killing it this off-season. Getting assets for TDA, then using less than you got to get Burns to replace him is a big win. But Waddell targeting a winger on free agent frenzy day, and just side stepping the entire mess to pay no assets to get a strong winger on a reasonable cap hit with just 2 years term left is masterful.

As much as people have warned of teams getting into "CAP HELL", this is it, Vegas is there. Maybe a few teams have had to accept a little less value on trades because of cap issues, or couldn't sign a player they liked, but Vegas had to give away a very good player just to be compliant, not even to make room for an addition. So far this summer they have traded away 3 forwards, and all their reward for it is having to play the LTIR dance with Weber's contract for the next 4 years. That is brutal.
areax91, Sportnilsson et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
14 juill. 2022 à 16 h 3
We are all equal
Rejoint: févr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 331
I love the fact that Vegas is still over the cap. With two RFA's who are arbitration eligible. Was it really worth it to bring in Eichel... just to trade away players for nothing! Yikes...
areax91 et CEO a aimé ceci.
14 juill. 2022 à 20 h 12
MOVE THE COYOTES
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,549
Hilarious. Just hilarious.
15 juill. 2022 à 14 h 10
Habs 2010
Rejoint: mai 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 941
The part I don't get is how was this the best offer Vegas could get for Pacioretty? Like did they only call Carolina? Were other GM's sleeping? Do they all know something we don't?

Pacioretty only had a 10-team no trade list its not like this was his choice. Someone please explain to me how one of the league top goal scorers gets given away for free.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
15 juill. 2022 à 15 h 3
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 547
So thrilled to have Max coming to North Carolina, we named a mountain after him!

https://ashevilletrails.com/appalachian-trail-north-carolina/max-patch/
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
15 juill. 2022 à 17 h 40
Waddell is getting a lot of love for the moves he made on Wednesday, but let’s not forget that he had to replace two of their top 6 forwards (Niederreiter was playing on the third line, but his 24 goals were third-best on the team), their top scoring defenseman, and their third defense pair. Don’t get me wrong – I like the trades – but I’m not sure the team is better on paper now than they were this past season.

Pacioretty should be an upgrade over Niederreiter if he has no lasting effects from last season’s injuries, and Burns should be an upgrade over DeAngelo if he continues to play like he isn’t 37 years old. Coghlan could fill one of the other defense spots, but I don’t see as much depth there as they had last season, and I see a big hole at the 2nd-center position, which will be critical for getting the most out of their talented group of wingers. Necas can supposedly play center, but I don’t remember them ever using him at that position. I think their plan was to slot Kotkaniemi in there, but I’m not sure he can handle it, especially after his lackluster playoff performance. Jack Drury could be a possibility, but that’s a lot to expect from a guy with only two NHL games. With three options I suppose there’s a chance of hitting on one of them, or there may be more moves coming, but I don’t expect any more blockbusters because they’ve used up a lot of cap space on Burns and Pacioretty, and they still have to sign or replace Necas and Bear.
15 juill. 2022 à 18 h 46
MOVE THE COYOTES
So your new toy to play with is... Future Considerations? Good luck!
15 juill. 2022 à 18 h 48
MOVE THE COYOTES
Quoting: justaBoss
Best package future considerations has ever returned

Well, Future considerations used to actually be something, so I'm guessing someone got som ething more than this at 1 point.
15 juill. 2022 à 21 h 18
Quoting: OutDoorRinkBoy
Well, Future considerations used to actually be something, so I'm guessing someone got som ething more than this at 1 point.

Whatever happened to "a player to be named later"? Didn't he used to get traded a lot too?
15 juill. 2022 à 22 h 53
MOVE THE COYOTES
Quoting: jr400
Whatever happened to "a player to be named later"? Didn't he used to get traded a lot too?

I don't know, that was probably a lot later than I was lol. Probably 20 years.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
16 juill. 2022 à 16 h 16
TOR V5 GM
Rejoint: nov. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,905
Who voted that Vegas won?
TheWolfe, LeeW, Saskleaf and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2022 à 23 h 22
BORDEGOD
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 490
Quoting: LGuy54
Who voted that Vegas won?

One of the cringe worthy Golden Knight drummer weirdos.
LGuy54 a aimé ceci.
6 août 2022 à 9 h 52
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,318
Quoting: budgeteam
This is a consequence of the Eichel acquisition last season.

Vegas didn't give Pacioretty away for nothing. They gave him way for cap space. The need for cap space was because they acquired Jack Eichel last off season. Would people look at this trade as negatively if Pacioretty was one of the pieces that went to Buffalo in the Eichel trade?

They have about 6 million in cap to work with right now. Trading Pacioretty either means that Stone will return before the playoffs, and they will need cap space to activate him in season, or it means they are working on another major acquisition. Maybe Patrick Kane. Chicago could trade him with half his salary retained and since his bonus is paid, it would only cost them 1.45M in real dollars to retain 5.25M.

You have a funny way of looking at deals. You look at every deal in a vacuum. This deal is terrible because the sequence of events lead to this crescendo was filled with mistakes in managing the cap. This isn't some kind of happenstance. It is a terrible deal despite whatever overarching narrative you want to push. You cant look at a terrible painting that ran out of space and call one side of the painting inevitable because the artist didnt plan ahead his ideas and tell the viewers that they should 'read between the lines'
BetaPhi a aimé ceci.
7 août 2022 à 14 h 36
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 431
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
You have a funny way of looking at deals. You look at every deal in a vacuum. This deal is terrible because the sequence of events lead to this crescendo was filled with mistakes in managing the cap. This isn't some kind of happenstance. It is a terrible deal despite whatever overarching narrative you want to push. You cant look at a terrible painting that ran out of space and call one side of the painting inevitable because the artist didnt plan ahead his ideas and tell the viewers that they should 'read between the lines'

They did plan ahead though.

They have calculators in Vegas. It was easy for them to know that if they only sent x amount of cap space back to Buffalo for Eichel, after keeping Pacioretty or another player as an own-rental, they would have to shed cap space in the off season.

How am I looking at a deal in a vacuum? It's the opposite. I am looking at each deal as a large puzzle when it comes to moving pieces and cap management.

Saying, oh they gave away a 40 goal scorer for nothing, that's bad - that would be looking at it in a vacuum.

People have to acknowledge that giving a player away for nothing isn't giving a player away for nothing. It's giving a player away for cap space. Cap space has value. In fact, it has a lot of value right now. Which is why we're seeing good players traded for pennies on the dollar this off season.
10 août 2022 à 7 h 57
Rejoint: août 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,227
Well, Max just went on LTIR for 6 months, but Carolina still wins this trade.

The Eichel trade and ridiculous cap management in VGS keeps paying dividends. The team is getting thinner and thinner, the roster is getting older and older, they give out big money contracts and continue to struggle to put together a roster. The NHL has noted their LTIR shenanigans of last year.

and yet even with giving away Coghlan and Max and Dandanov for nothing, they still need to shed SIX MILLION in salary and find some warm bodies to ice 20 players.
10 août 2022 à 13 h 10
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,881
Quoting: Hammerwise
Well, Max just went on LTIR for 6 months, but Carolina still wins this trade.

The Eichel trade and ridiculous cap management in VGS keeps paying dividends. The team is getting thinner and thinner, the roster is getting older and older, they give out big money contracts and continue to struggle to put together a roster. The NHL has noted their LTIR shenanigans of last year.

and yet even with giving away Coghlan and Max and Dandanov for nothing, they still need to shed SIX MILLION in salary and find some warm bodies to ice 20 players.

This pretty much shows VGK managements inability to run a team if they knew Patches was gonna be on LTIR why didnt they just keep him and not announce a recovery time frame so that way they could have had him for game 1 of the playoffs hint hint. And with the LTIR ability to spend over by a certain amount go out and get someone
Hammerwise a aimé ceci.
10 août 2022 à 15 h 12
Quoting: aadoyle
This pretty much shows VGK managements inability to run a team if they knew Patches was gonna be on LTIR why didnt they just keep him and not announce a recovery time frame so that way they could have had him for game 1 of the playoffs hint hint. And with the LTIR ability to spend over by a certain amount go out and get someone

I don’t know. I feel like Carolina got a Trojan horse. Unless they’re confident that Pacioretty is going to be out for the entire regular season, it seems to me that it would be risky for them to spend his cap relief on somebody else. That would force them to clear $7M when he comes back (unless they have other long-term injuries) – not easy to do in today’s NHL. So for most of the season, they’re going to have neither the player nor the cap space. If they know he’s going to be out for the entire regular season, then at least they could spend the cap relief without fear of having to dump it later, but how effective is he going to be if he hasn’t played all season and he has to get used to a new system in the heat of the playoffs? In that case I guess Carolina still wins the trade because they’d get Coghlan for nothing without Pacioretty costing them any cap space, but supposedly you can’t just leave a guy on LTIR all season if he’s ready to play in February, so if the six month estimate is accurate, this is not a good trade for Carolina.

So what exactly happened here? I don’t know what he’s been doing this summer, but it seems difficult to believe he just picked up this injury in the last few weeks. Did Vegas know he was injured when they traded him? Did they disclose that to Carolina? Did Carolina’s doctors check him out? He missed half of last season, so you’d think they’d want to make sure he was healthy before investing $7M of valuable cap space on him. Perhaps I’m being naïve to think that Carolina wouldn’t artificially prolong the LTIR period to avoid the cap hit, but this smells like trickery, stupidity, mismanagement, or all of the above.
10 août 2022 à 15 h 14
Hakuna Matata
I don’t know. I feel like Carolina got a Trojan horse. Unless they’re confident that Pacioretty is going to be out for the entire regular season, it seems to me that it would be risky for them to spend his cap relief on somebody else. That would force them to clear $7M when he comes back (unless they have other long-term injuries) – not easy to do in today’s NHL. So for most of the season, they’re going to have neither the player nor the cap space. If they know he’s going to be out for the entire regular season, then at least they could spend the cap relief without fear of having to dump it later, but how effective is he going to be if he hasn’t played all season and he has to get used to a new system in the heat of the playoffs? In that case I guess Carolina still wins the trade because they’d get Coghlan for nothing without Pacioretty costing them any cap space, but supposedly you can’t just leave a guy on LTIR all season if he’s ready to play in February, so if the six month estimate is accurate, this is not a good trade for Carolina.

So what exactly happened here? I don’t know what he’s been doing this summer, but it seems difficult to believe he just picked up this injury in the last few weeks. Did Vegas know he was injured when they traded him? Did they disclose that to Carolina? Did Carolina’s doctors check him out? He missed half of last season, so you’d think they’d want to make sure he was healthy before investing $7M of valuable cap space on him. Perhaps I’m being naïve to think that Carolina wouldn’t artificially prolong the LTIR period to avoid the cap hit, but this smells like trickery, stupidity, mismanagement, or all of the above.

Carolina wont keep him out the entire season probs the 6months as stated so he would be back in February. As if they did that they would be basically making themselves look bad as remember when they complained about Tampa being over the cap by 10mill...Now if VGK had kept him they would have 100% pulled a Kucherov. Got a feeling they will mainly use it to keep Gardiner then in February or whenever the TDL is dump him to another team for FC or something
11 août 2022 à 20 h 41
Carolina wont keep him out the entire season probs the 6months as stated so he would be back in February. As if they did that they would be basically making themselves look bad as remember when they complained about Tampa being over the cap by 10mill...Now if VGK had kept him they would have 100% pulled a Kucherov. Got a feeling they will mainly use it to keep Gardiner then in February or whenever the TDL is dump him to another team for FC or something

That could work, but depending on how Gardiner is playing it may not be easy to dump him without retention before the deadline. Of course they could decide to dump somebody else instead, or make some other move, or maybe somebody else will be on LTIR by then and they won’t need to do anything. They’re only $1.1M over the cap now and a lot can happen between now and then. The problem may take care of itself some other way by the time he comes back.

So you’re right that Pacioretty going on LTIR lets them defer the decision on how to get under the cap, which is a good thing. But my point is that if they didn’t have him, they would now have $5.9M of cap space (his $7M hit minus the $1.1M they’re over the cap now) that they could spend on somebody who could be with them all season with no strings attached.

As it is now, they have two options, neither of which seems as good to me. They could spend all or part of the LTIR cap relief, and risk having to give up assets to dump that cap hit when he comes off LTIR, or not spend it and try to get by with that hole in their lineup until he comes back. The first option sounds like what Vegas did last year, and we know how that turned out. The second seems like better cap management – Pacioretty would basically come in like a deadline acquisition – but until then they’d be icing a lineup that’s several million dollars below the cap. That puts them at a disadvantage in the playoff race. They’ve lost Trocheck and Niederreiter and with Pacioretty out they really haven’t replaced either of them. Some of the non-playoff teams have made big improvements, so unless a couple of young guys step up to fill their shoes, they may have a tough time getting into the playoffs without putting close to $82.5M on the ice.
11 août 2022 à 21 h 6
Hakuna Matata
That could work, but depending on how Gardiner is playing it may not be easy to dump him without retention before the deadline. Of course they could decide to dump somebody else instead, or make some other move, or maybe somebody else will be on LTIR by then and they won’t need to do anything. They’re only $1.1M over the cap now and a lot can happen between now and then. The problem may take care of itself some other way by the time he comes back.

So you’re right that Pacioretty going on LTIR lets them defer the decision on how to get under the cap, which is a good thing. But my point is that if they didn’t have him, they would now have $5.9M of cap space (his $7M hit minus the $1.1M they’re over the cap now) that they could spend on somebody who could be with them all season with no strings attached.

As it is now, they have two options, neither of which seems as good to me. They could spend all or part of the LTIR cap relief, and risk having to give up assets to dump that cap hit when he comes off LTIR, or not spend it and try to get by with that hole in their lineup until he comes back. The first option sounds like what Vegas did last year, and we know how that turned out. The second seems like better cap management – Pacioretty would basically come in like a deadline acquisition – but until then they’d be icing a lineup that’s several million dollars below the cap. That puts them at a disadvantage in the playoff race. They’ve lost Trocheck and Niederreiter and with Pacioretty out they really haven’t replaced either of them. Some of the non-playoff teams have made big improvements, so unless a couple of young guys step up to fill their shoes, they may have a tough time getting into the playoffs without putting close to $82.5M on the ice.

At the TDL Minnesota was able to dump Rask's 4mill without any retention or sweetener

Now im not saying Carolina will be able to do the same but often its easier to dump cap when there is only 2 months left
12 août 2022 à 17 h 54
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,173

Am I missing something? Is Patches not out only 6 months, ie he’ll be by mid season? If anything the injury update makes this trade look better for Vegas.
12 août 2022 à 17 h 55
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,173
At the TDL Minnesota was able to dump Rask's 4mill without any retention or sweetener

Now im not saying Carolina will be able to do the same but often its easier to dump cap when there is only 2 months left

They retained 50% on Rask.
12 août 2022 à 17 h 55
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
Am I missing something? Is Patches not out only 6 months, ie he’ll be by mid season? If anything the injury update makes this trade look better for Vegas.

If he was going to surgery under VGK management that 6months would have been stretched out to the entire season
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
12 août 2022 à 17 h 56
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
They retained 50% on Rask.

Well then retain 50% on Jakey as by the TDL they could probs make it work somehow or cap sake if someone else is hurt then they may not need to do anything at all
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage