SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Ottawa Senators signed Claude Giroux (3 Years / $6,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

13 juill. 2022 à 12 h 53
Orr28
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 237
Well you can tell Melnyk isn't interfering anymore.
sensonfire a aimé ceci.
13 juill. 2022 à 12 h 59
sensonfire
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,383
Quoting: Stones6160
unless Dorian/Adams deny that, which they haven’t, if they haven’t it probably means that there we’re actually talks to trade Murray to Buffalo. I

There might have been talks to trade Murray to Buffalo and there might have been a 3rd round pick involved.

The part of the story that is fake news is where Pierre Dorion would spend the 7th overall pick to dump Murray.

Doesn't make any sense.
13 juill. 2022 à 13 h 6
Brad Boyes please Wq
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 714
Quoting: sensonfire
There might have been talks to trade Murray to Buffalo and there might have been a 3rd round pick involved.

The part of the story that is fake news is where Pierre Dorion would spend the 7th overall pick to dump Murray.

Doesn't make any sense.

Keep this in consideration

16th was probably still gonna be traded for Debrincat, they move Murray to get out of more money, while going down 9 spots, but since that fell through, 7, 39, and the 3rd went, I’d assume that is the case, but still a 3rd and 7th to move him out

Also 7th overall to dump Murray, you remember 16?
13 juill. 2022 à 13 h 7
Jones is Underpaid
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 939
Why would Ottawa spend the 7th overall pick to dump Matt Murray on the Sabres instead of spending only a 3rd round pick to dump him on the Leafs?

When we can spend the 7th overall pick on Alex DeBrincat instead?

Doesn't make any sense.

Darren Dreger et al. got played by Pierre Dorion.

Nothing else to it.

I don’t think you understand what I mean. I mean that since that trade for Murray to Buffalo was struck down, after the whole fiasco, he’s been on a roll with trade and signings.
sensonfire a aimé ceci.
13 juill. 2022 à 13 h 16
Let's go Pens!
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 382
You can say whatever you want. But Ottawa is doing a great job this offseason. All they need to be a playoff team right now is a top-4 d-man. I think Klingberg would be a very good option to them.
sensonfire a aimé ceci.
13 juill. 2022 à 13 h 17
sensonfire
Quoting: Nqutilus
I don’t think you understand what I mean. I mean that since that trade for Murray to Buffalo was struck down, after the whole fiasco, he’s been on a roll with trade and signings.

I agree with you on everything, except for one thing:

Pierre Dorion never offered the 7th overall pick to Buffalo, so they would take Murray.

Planting that bit of fake news was only used as a negotiating tactic against Chicago for acquiring DeBrincat.

Buffalo did something similar against Vegas before Eichel was traded.

They planted the story that Calgary would offer Matthew Tkachuk, which was also fake news.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/nhl-rumors-flames-huge-jack-eichel-trade-offer-includes-matthew-tkachuk

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2216787
Nqutilus a aimé ceci.
13 juill. 2022 à 13 h 23
Jones is Underpaid
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 939
I agree with you on everything, except for one thing:

Pierre Dorion never offered the 7th overall pick to Buffalo, so they would take Murray.

Planting that bit of fake news was only used as a negotiating tactic against Chicago for acquiring DeBrincat.

Buffalo did something similar against Vegas before Eichel was traded.

They planted the story that Calgary would offer Matthew Tkachuk, which was also fake news.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/nhl-rumors-flames-huge-jack-eichel-trade-offer-includes-matthew-tkachuk

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2216787

Then that is another Dorion masterclass, my friend.
sensonfire a aimé ceci.
13 juill. 2022 à 13 h 28
sensonfire
Quoting: Stones6160
Keep this in consideration

16th was probably still gonna be traded for Debrincat, they move Murray to get out of more money, while going down 9 spots, but since that fell through, 7, 39, and the 3rd went, I’d assume that is the case, but still a 3rd and 7th to move him out

Also 7th overall to dump Murray, you remember 16?

There's no team that would drop out of the Top 10 of the draft to make a cap dump.

None.

Let's say as a hypothetical, Pierre Dorion did in fact swap #7 and Murray for #16.

What if Chicago never went along with his plan and pulled out at the last second, believing #16 is not enough for DeBrincat?

It would be an absolute nightmare situation.

In reality, Dorion and his front office would be smart enough to figure all that out ahead of time.

Thankfully.
13 juill. 2022 à 13 h 28
sensonfire
Quoting: Nqutilus
Then that is another Dorion masterclass, my friend.

cool
13 juill. 2022 à 14 h 2
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 11,896

Dude.
13 juill. 2022 à 15 h 18
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 430
A quick summary of Dorion and Giroux's media availability.

Pierre Dorion says he couldn't leave the house for the last year without being harassed about whether or not he was going to sign Claude Giroux.

He says that when the he order 66'd Erik Karlsson in Barbados with Eugene Melnyk, he told Melnyk that in 4 years time Giroux would be someone they could target as a star to build around because he would be a UFA, and Dorion knew ahead of time he wanted to play in Ottawa. This was a long term plan on Dorion's part, to sign Giroux.

"It was always part of the plan", even when Eugene was alive. The plan was to pitch for Claude Giroux.

Melnyk's zoomer daughters, who consequently now own the Senators, are very happy that the Senators signed Giroux. Ever since they learned who he was last week they were on board. (He didn't actually say that last sentence)

A mystery GM told Dorion that Claude Giroux is really good at faceoffs and took every last draw in the final few minutes of a game they played against them. Dorion feels it in Claude Giroux's voice that he is genuine.

Bruce Garrioch asks Giroux how good the team will be. Giroux says they probably won't win the cup next year, but they have a full year to work on the team and build an identity, and then they will be DANGEROUS. 'Probably not', an Alfredsson deep cut.

Lots of generic hockey talk. Pucks in deep. Chemistry. Good to have two powerplay units.

Dorion thinks Brady is pretty happy.

Claude Giroux's parents are happy that he is moving back to Ottawa.
13 juill. 2022 à 15 h 24
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 430

Doesn't make any sense.

Was this confirmed anywhere?

Multiple different "insiders" reported that the Senators never pivoted to Debrincat. He was part of the original plan, which was to maximize the value of the 7th overall by first trading down, and then including the 16th overall in a package for Debrincat. The Senators and Blackhawks then had to adjust the other pieces in the package to account for the change in value.

Garrioch reported this as well.

There was no need for Dorion to pressure Chicago for Debrincat. No one was beating the 7th overall pick as a headline piece for a player with only 2 years of team control. Fiala set the market when he went for a mid 1st and a solid but not great prospect. Chicago may have strung things along to try and extract more value, but it is pretty clear that they wanted to move on from Debrincat this off season.
13 juill. 2022 à 20 h 54
Singing the Blues
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 8
I like the price and they have the cap space so in my very basic opinion: good deal

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage