(OTT/MIN) - Gustavsson for Talbot

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

13 févr. 2023 à 14 h 13
LarryRobinson72
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 17
Hello everyone, I am new here, just look at the trade deal between Wilds and Sens, I think it a fair deal. Maybe the Wilds make some room on Salary Cap for a better player before or on Trade Deadline like Timo Meier, Patrick Kane or whoever. Let see what happens.
Sharkie69 et KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
26 févr. 2023 à 10 h 48
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 541
Quoting: aadoyle

Guerin: “I don’t have **** to do. Cam Talbot’s under contract. George can say whatever the hell he wants. My team’s set right now, and that’s the way it goes. We can have all the discussions we want. Cam’s a member of our team. We really like Cam. All we’re trying to do is win” https://t.co/F1CNuUH8je

— Michael Russo (RussoHockey) July 8, 2022

I guess he did have **** to do lul

This has got to be the weirdest 180 I have seen

What was he supposed to say in that situation? “We signed Fleury because we plan to trade Talbot”? That wouldn’t have been smart. Even if his preference was to trade Talbot, stating that publically would have taken away some of his trade leverage and created an awkward situation if the right deal hadn’t come along and he decided to keep him.
26 févr. 2023 à 13 h 30
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 430
This trade has been terrible for the Senators, but it made sense at the time.

Gustavsson had been up and down, and Dorion had a mandate to make the playoffs. Forsberg had a very strong 2022 season, but he was still unproven. They needed a consistent 1 A/B goalie to run with Forsberg. They gave Gustavsson a chance in 2022 to show he was ready, like they have done with Sogaard so far this season, and Gustavsson flopped.

I highly doubt the trade market for Gustavsson was very strong. Even Daccord passed waivers. He was a goalie who was at a similar stage in his development. I would suspect that the Senators had no real offers until Minnesota was forced to resolve the Talbot conflict. While Ottawa's pro scouting is atrocious, 30 other teams also missed out on Gustavsson since they probably could have had him at the draft for a 2nd or a 3rd.

They also weren't going to acquire Talbot without having Minnesota take Gustavsson, because Gustavsson was on a 1-way deal and the Senators were still a budget team. So we don't know the context of how hot Minnesota was for Gustavsson, or if it was a case where there wasn't much of a market for Talbot due to most goalie spots being resolved and the cap being tight, and Ottawa insisting Minnesota take Gustavsson to offset Talbot's cap.

There will be a market for Talbot at the deadline, but the dynamic is completely different moving a player after both the draft and free agency in one of the tightest cap off seasons we have ever seen, and moving a player at the off season to a team who has banked cap space, possibly with a third team coming in to do double retention. In all likelihood, if the Senators get a 3rd for Talbot, that was more than any team offered for Gustavsson.
8 mars 2023 à 2 h 5
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Guerin man he makes some sneaky good trades

Gustavsson looks to be a solid starter for the wild for the foreseeable future
Saskleaf et RawDeal a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2023 à 21 h 21
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,761
Modifié 18 avr. 2023 à 14 h 46
Two teams took a risk, one of them worked out, the other one didn't
18 avr. 2023 à 10 h 12
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 449
Looking back at this one who got the better deal?
18 avr. 2023 à 14 h 48
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: python3504

Obviously Minnesota and the "summer of Dorion" needs to have a better sequel or Ottawa might be in that 'we aren't good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to get another decent prospect' little spell
python3504 a aimé ceci.
18 avr. 2023 à 14 h 48
Leafs going to Leafs
This trade: Ottawa paid to get rid of Matt Murray, only to pay to get another variation of him
python3504 a aimé ceci.
18 avr. 2023 à 19 h 25
couldnt afford 2nd t
30 other teams probably could have had Gustavsson for a 3rd round pick and didn't take him.

He may have even cleared waivers at the beginning of the season because he was signed to 1-way money. Whole his cap hit would be below the cap exempt threshold, most teams do not want to pay a player NHL money to sit in the AHL. Joey Daccord is a comparable goalie who cleared.

The trade made sense at the time. The Senators needed an established goalie to form a tandem with Talbot. Gustavsson had been incredibly inconsistent. There was immense pressure on Dorion and the coaching staff for the Senators to take a step forward.

This will potentially go down as one do the worst trades in Senators history, but you have to consider the actual context and value of the pieces when the trade was made. If the Senators were not a budget team, maybe they could have held on to Gustavsson and snuck him through waivers for some additional depth. Minnesota likely still takes a late pick to dump a disgruntled Talbot, who would not have many takers due to the cap. The thing is that the Senators strategically couldn't afford to do that, and there was no reason to believe Gustavsson would be the second best goalie in the league.

It's just one of those bad trades that you have to shrug your shoulders and walk off.
18 avr. 2023 à 19 h 27
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: python3504

It's too early to judge the trade. Talbot could still re-sign with Ottawa and win the Vezina next year.

I don't think we will know who won this trade for many many years. It's that close....
18 avr. 2023 à 19 h 28
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: aadoyle
Guerin man he makes some sneaky good trades

Gustavsson looks to be a solid starter for the wild for the foreseeable future

Guerin is probably sending wine to Talbot's agent as we speak.
18 avr. 2023 à 19 h 32
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,165
Quoting: budgeteam
It's too early to judge the trade. Talbot could still re-sign with Ottawa and win the Vezina next year.

I don't think we will know who won this trade for many many years. It's that close....

It was released Talbot will not be resign in Ott
19 avr. 2023 à 23 h 52
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: capsfan2121
It was released Talbot will not be resign in Ott

That might just be to throw off the other GMs at the draft.

Honestly, even if Gustavsson wins the Conn Smythe, I think everybody will agree that it will be years before we can judge this trade. Talbot still has a long time to bring the Stanley Cup to Ottawa.
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
23 avr. 2023 à 3 h 6
down bad
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,423
Quoting: Nathaniel
These are so funny now

Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
My statement is still true.

Lmfao these are so funny now….
23 avr. 2023 à 13 h 57
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
dorion traded way a 3rd, a 7th, gustavsson and a retention slot for worse goaltending.

masterclass
ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR et aadoyle a aimé ceci.
23 avr. 2023 à 17 h 20
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Quoting: mondo
dorion traded way a 3rd, a 7th, gustavsson and a retention slot for worse goaltending.

masterclass

Gustavsson was the guy the Sens needed but they gave up to soon on him. If they kept him they would be in a WC spot and be playing against Boston rn
15 févr. à 19 h 56
sen krak fan
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,517
Wow the Sens lost this one hard. What a horrible deal for Ottawa.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage