SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(TOR/OTT) - future considerations for Murray + 2023 3rd rd pick + 2024 7th round pick

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 34
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,177
Bye, Jack.
SadSensFan14 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 35
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 983
Glad Dorion pulled the trigger because I would’ve lost my mind watching all of the ridiculous Leaf’s AGM’s. Need all of those people to see the ACTUAL cost to dump Murray with only 25% retained.

No Batherson. No Norris. No Formenton. No Brown. No 1st. No 2nd. Not even 50% retention.

Another Dorion W.
sensonfire, OldNYIfan et athrin a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 35
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 727
The curse of Tuukka
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 35
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 69
This really isn’t all that bad for the Leafs. He only has two years left in his contract and OTT retained 25% of it. Even if he’s absolute horse crud they can throw him on waivers or put him in the AHL.

Yes.. Murray had struggled the last two seasons.. but he was also on a struggling team that had far below average defense in front of him. I’m not a huge Matt Murray fan but I’m a fan of goaltenders and I believe they should be given 2nd and 3rd chances.. it’s the toughest position in hockey. Especially for a guy who had so much success at a young age winning two cups with the Pens. I’ve seen plenty of Goalies make huge bounce backs.. his old partner Fleury was one of them! Just imagine the Leafs get a #1 goalie who’s 25% retained and two draft picks for “future considerations” and he has a .910+ Save % and a sub 2.5 GGA. He just has to be average and the Leafs will out score the opposition.
SadSensFan14 a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 35
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,152
This is such a stupid trade. I hate it so much. Again, I can’t emphasize enough how dumb this is for the leafs. They could have resigned Campbell for a fraction more but they did this. There better be a decent backup like Samsonov also.
areax91, SadSensFan14, OldNYIfan and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 36
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 983
Quoting: OutDoorRinkBoy
Sens win overall, but I still don't no why it makes sense for either team.

Ottawa had 3 goalies signed for next season. This brings that number back down to 2 and also clearly a significant amount of real money and cap space.

At the price of a 3rd and a 7th I don’t think you’ll find a single Sens fan with anything bad to say about the dump.
SadSensFan14, areax91, sensonfire and 3 others a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 36
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 230
Moves like this are why the Leafs will never win a playoff round so long as Dubas is GM. What the hell was he thinking allowing Pierre to retain so little on a sieve like Murray? And with a team that has so much cap space occupied by 4 players no less. Jesus tap-dancing Christ, this trade is HORRIBLE for the Leafs.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 37
ALjet12
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 315
Fireable offense Dubas is a joke when it comes to goalies
Could kept the train going and not **** it up
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 40
down bad
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,423
Leafs clearly win. Everybody is obviously forgetting that once you become a Leaf you automatically become the best player ever. Murray is clearly the front runner for the Vezna. Wonder what the odds are .. seriously.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 40
sen krak fan
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,517
Quoting: TheBoyDuddus
Ottawa had 3 goalies signed for next season. This brings that number back down to 2 and also clearly a significant amount of real money and cap space.

At the price of a 3rd and a 7th I don’t think you’ll find a single Sens fan with anything bad to say about the dump.

Absulotely agree. But I think they should still sign someone like Comrie to let Gustavsen develope in the minors for a bit more and then have a better tandom.
TheBoyDuddus a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 41
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 230
Quoting: Ghost789
This really isn’t all that bad for the Leafs. He only has two years left in his contract and OTT retained 25% of it. Even if he’s absolute horse crud they can throw him on waivers or put him in the AHL.

Yes.. Murray had struggled the last two seasons.. but he was also on a struggling team that had far below average defense in front of him. I’m not a huge Matt Murray fan but I’m a fan of goaltenders and I believe they should be given 2nd and 3rd chances.. it’s the toughest position in hockey. Especially for a guy who had so much success at a young age winning two cups with the Pens. I’ve seen plenty of Goalies make huge bounce backs.. his old partner Fleury was one of them! Just imagine the Leafs get a #1 goalie who’s 25% retained and two draft picks for “future considerations” and he has a .910+ Save % and a sub 2.5 GGA. He just has to be average and the Leafs will out score the opposition.

And Murray will DEFINITELY bounce back in a team that has neglected its depth because they think they're in the NBA. Because, you know, Muzzin, Holl and Giordano are all Norris contenders that will definitely save series for Toronto when the big four fail to deliver (sarcasm mode).

For the cap hit you're paying Murray, you'd be better off retaining Campbell and finding a decent backup who'd be willing to take in less to get the team over the line.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 42
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,733

In the end one team gets a goalie for free that they know well and the other team gets FC

Win-Win
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 43
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,382
hahahahahahahahahahaha
SadSensFan14, OldNYIfan, jpsnow13 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 46
sen krak fan
Quoting: oilersguy
Sens are doing very well this offseason

OOOHHHHHH YEAH LETS GGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 47
sen krak fan
Quoting: DogDayCaps2
Leafs clearly win. Everybody is obviously forgetting that once you become a Leaf you automatically become the best player ever. Murray is clearly the front runner for the Vezna. Wonder what the odds are .. seriously.

I know right lol
OldNYIfan et DogDayCaps2 a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 50
Once a Kings Fan Too
Mentions "j'aime": 24,611
Quoting: palhal
So the Leafs HAVE to make deal with Chicago with to get out of Mrazek's 3.8m X 2, by trading out of the first round. OK I get it. Then they really get nothing by spending almost a 1m X 2 MORE in cap by acquiring Murray.
Couldn't the Leafs have found a goalie for much cheaper and better than Murray? Whoa, this appears to so bad for the Leafs.

The 50% retention was important for more than cap space -- Toronto is now on the hook for $11.25 million in actual cash for Murray. I'll bet the Ottawa execs are ecstatic about that.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 51
FADING PASSION
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 455
Modifié 3 août 2022 à 15 h 58
Aw cmon
NARC311 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 51
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: ALjet12
Fireable offense Dubas is a joke when it comes to goalies
Could kept the train going and not **** it up

Id be more concerned with Lou trading away Toews for 2 2nds than paying more for Romanov or protecting 4th liners over Eberle
rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 52
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: OldNYIfan
The 50% retention was important for more than cap space -- Toronto is now on the hook for $11.25 million in actual cash for Murray. I'll bet the Ottawa execs are ecstatic about that.

I mean does Toronto really care about actual money as MLSE is the 2nd richest organization in the NHL

So if all goes well its pocket change to them
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 52
NHL Insider
Rejoint: août 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 689
WHAT THE **** tears of joy
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 53
NHL Insider
Rejoint: août 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 689
So 3rd + 7th rd picks are equal to moving back from 7th overall -> 16th overall according to Dubas?
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 54
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,319
Modifié 11 juill. 2022 à 21 h 2

4.6m = Chychrun's contract (if they get Marino instead they save 0.2m)

For the Leafs, betting on a goalie they are familiar with with 2 year term is better than an unknown for longer even if it's 1m cheaper. Campbell at 5x5 can't happen cuz they want to keep the core 4 intact still.

The biggest issue with this is if OTT takes out the Leafs in round 1 assuming they do add Chychrun and bolster their D. We need to see what moves the Leafs do when FA opens but as of now can just assume the AHLers going to fill the rest of the roster.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 56
Once a Kings Fan Too
Mentions "j'aime": 24,611
Quoting: Saskleaf
This is such a stupid trade. I hate it so much. Again, I can’t emphasize enough how dumb this is for the leafs. They could have resigned Campbell for a fraction more but they did this. There better be a decent backup like Samsonov also.

And don't forget that at $5.5 million per year, Campbell would have cost less in real money for the first two years than Murray. Or would you prefer that I don't remind you?
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 20 h 57
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,152
And don't forget that at $5.5 million per year, Campbell would have cost less in real money for the first two years than Murray. Or would you prefer that I don't remind you?

I’d prefer that you don’t lol.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
11 juill. 2022 à 21 h 0
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,319

Real money is irrelevant to the Leafs, which is why they hand out signing bonuses all the time. The cap is the big thing. Dubas is probably just trying to survive this year, extend Matthews and Nylander and then try Marner the next year. He will try to keep the core intact, so that's why having a goalie with a 2-year term was important. He must be confident that Murray will bounce back and keep his own job safe, or Dubas already knows he's getting extended no matter the results this year perhaps lol.

The good news though is even if Dubas is let go, the next guy will have cap space to reshape the team even if he decides to keep the core intact (minus Tavares probably).
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage