SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(TOR/OTT) - future considerations for Murray + 2023 3rd rd pick + 2024 7th round pick

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

17 oct. 2022 à 6 h 44
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 430
Quoting: aadoyle
Even then it doesnt mean anything. He could come back and light up the league or he could stay on the IR. It sucks but once he's back he and Sammy will be a fine tandem with Sammy taking more of the load while Murray can be eased back in

Either way as you seem to forget we paid nothing for him and when he goes on LTIR we gain cap space lul

Leafs don't functionally gain cap space, because they need to be able to clear 4.XX million to activate him. Murray perpetually getting injured for weeks at a time puts them in a position where they cannot use the LTIR space, beyond call ups that can later be re-assigned to the AHL.

There is also a major opportunity cost attached to Murray. That is cap that the Leafs could have used on a different player or goalie. Not to mention, they helped a division rival, who are a budget team, clear cash.
17 oct. 2022 à 13 h 16
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,733
Quoting: budgeteam
Leafs don't functionally gain cap space, because they need to be able to clear 4.XX million to activate him. Murray perpetually getting injured for weeks at a time puts them in a position where they cannot use the LTIR space, beyond call ups that can later be re-assigned to the AHL.

There is also a major opportunity cost attached to Murray. That is cap that the Leafs could have used on a different player or goalie. Not to mention, they helped a division rival, who are a budget team, clear cash.

u do realize they have the space already. They just got to send Robertson and Kallgren who are waiver exempt to the marlies, and waive Mete and Simmonds. So there really isnt any "clearing space lul" as those guys were already down to begin with when he was healthy. And were not using his entire 4mill in space lul
17 oct. 2022 à 15 h 6
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: aadoyle
u do realize they have the space already. They just got to send Robertson and Kallgren who are waiver exempt to the marlies, and waive Mete and Simmonds. So there really isnt any "clearing space lul" as those guys were already down to begin with when he was healthy. And were not using his entire 4mill in space lul

Re-read my post, you didn't understand.
21 oct. 2022 à 10 h 58
FartButt the 3rd
Rejoint: sept. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 407
As a Sens fan, I admittedly love coming back to the comment section of this trade.

Makes me very happy.

Solid Ottawa W.
25 nov. 2022 à 16 h 39
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
wasn't this murray guy supposed to be bad or something
leafs101, Saskleaf, SnakeDelilah and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
25 nov. 2022 à 17 h 20
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,207
Quoting: mondo

he might need surgery though, rumour has it he's got that dawg in him.
25 nov. 2022 à 17 h 22
Leafs Sufferer
Mentions "j'aime": 3,511

I'm enjoying looking back on all the votes in OTT's favor.
25 nov. 2022 à 17 h 51
TuckerKaberleSundin
Rejoint: déc. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 630

He would be their best goalie
25 nov. 2022 à 19 h 0
I make typos
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991

Quoting: leafs101
he might need surgery though, rumour has it he's got that dawg in him.

Quoting: Ritzy
I'm enjoying looking back on all the votes in OTT's favor.

Quoting: DarcyTucker
He would be their best goalie

LOL, hold your horses he has played five games
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
25 nov. 2022 à 19 h 11
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 25 nov. 2022 à 19 h 20
Quoting: oilersguy

5 games after missing a month with a groin injury and yet has a 0.921 against good teams and Buffalo

Pretty good considering if we look at the alternatives we used to have

Campbell 0.876SV
Mrazek 0.885SV
Anderson 0.891SV
25 nov. 2022 à 19 h 31
TuckerKaberleSundin
Rejoint: déc. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 630

Then hold your horses with Stuart Skinner
Saskleaf et aadoyle a aimé ceci.
25 nov. 2022 à 19 h 46
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,152

I’m actually with you on this one, still not 100% convinced with Murray. And everyone seems to be forgetting that he spent a month on LTIR already this season. I really hope he is the answer but I’m not going to plan the parade after 5 games.
29 nov. 2022 à 11 h 7
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 449
ok now that the season started who actually won this trade?
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 nov. 2022 à 9 h 51
Go leafs go
Quoting: python3504

It’s early still, but Toronto won by a mile.
30 nov. 2022 à 12 h 18
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: python3504

If Murray can keep up this level of play and stay healthy, it is obviously a huge win for Toronto to get a Vezina caliber goalie at 4.7M x 2 years.

Murray had streaks of very strong play in Ottawa where he would average a .915+ save percentage over multiple games. He would then get hurt, and lose all his momentum. Until he shows he can remain healthy for long stretches of time, I am skeptical about him.

Because Ottawa is a budget team, you have to look at what they gained by proxy. Ottawa paid a 3rd+7th to free up 5.25M this season and 6M next season. They spent 3M of that on Murray's replacement, Cam Talbot. Ironically, Talbot was injured in training camp. Which is what the Senators tried to avoid by moving Murray. Since returning, Talbot has provided more consistent play than Murray did for his entire tenure as a Senator. Similar to Murray, I won't be sold on Talbot until I see a larger sample size of strong play.

Keep in mind, the Senators got Talbot for free. Gustavsson was a sunk cost who was likely to end up on waivers. If anything, he was a detriment to the Senators since he was on a 1-way contract and the Senators have a budget to uphold. With that said, he is playing well in Minnesota as their #2 goalie so it is possible he would have stuck with Ottawa.

If you analyze all the related deals, Toronto traded Mrazek, and the 25th pick for Murray (@ 4.7M) the 38th pick, and a future 3rd and 7th round pick.

Ottawa traded a 3rd, a 7th, Murray, and Gustavsson for Cam Talbot, 2.25M in salary relief, and 6M in salary relief next year.

If Murray keeps playing this way, the Senators are going to regret giving Toronto a franchise goalie. With that said, the likelihood of Murray remaining healthy is low based on his injury history.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 13 h 1
Hakuna Matata

RIP Dorion
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2023 à 16 h 9
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,768
Is it finally time for all the Sens fans to admit that Toronto won this by far???? Murray has .911 save percentage and a 2.72 GAA. He would be the starter on most teams but Sammy is playing out of his mind right now?
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 févr. 2023 à 9 h 50
Go leafs go
Quoting: Saskleaf
This is such a stupid trade. I hate it so much. Again, I can’t emphasize enough how dumb this is for the leafs. They could have resigned Campbell for a fraction more but they did this. There better be a decent backup like Samsonov also.

Looking back, I was mostly wrong about this trade, Murray has bounced back nicely. But he’s still injury prone and overpaid, and I think the leafs should have done something else. If the leafs plan was to run a tandem, why not pick up a cheaper goalie along with Sammy that was less of an injury risk? I liked the Sammy addition at the time, and I like it even better now. He is the only reason this trade isn’t a disaster. I hope Dubas isn’t stupid enough to keep Murray over Sammy.
palhal a aimé ceci.
17 févr. 2023 à 15 h 23
Leafs Sufferer
Looking back, I was mostly wrong about this trade, Murray has bounced back nicely. But he’s still injury prone and overpaid, and I think the leafs should have done something else. If the leafs plan was to run a tandem, why not pick up a cheaper goalie along with Sammy that was less of an injury risk? I liked the Sammy addition at the time, and I like it even better now. He is the only reason this trade isn’t a disaster. I hope Dubas isn’t stupid enough to keep Murray over Sammy.

Not sure there would have been anyone else Dubas could have brought in cheaper than Murray that would have the same effect. Barring his injury, he's been really good. Sammy has had some injuries as well. The goaltending situation could have been much worse if Murray wasn't brought in. The hope was that Murray would return to his cup winning form. He obviously didn't quite get there, but he did play well when he managed to stay healthy.

At the end of the day, OTT paid TOR to take him, and retained salary. And after this season, his contract is buy-out friendly with a minimal hit (if I remember correctly). I doubt Dubas lets Sammy walk.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 févr. 2023 à 16 h 54
Go leafs go
Not sure there would have been anyone else Dubas could have brought in cheaper than Murray that would have the same effect. Barring his injury, he's been really good. Sammy has had some injuries as well. The goaltending situation could have been much worse if Murray wasn't brought in. The hope was that Murray would return to his cup winning form. He obviously didn't quite get there, but he did play well when he managed to stay healthy.

At the end of the day, OTT paid TOR to take him, and retained salary. And after this season, his contract is buy-out friendly with a minimal hit (if I remember correctly). I doubt Dubas lets Sammy walk.

Yes, that’s true. I was probably a little more negative than I should have been with my comment. It’s worth noting though that we knew he was going to be injured. That was part of the risk of this deal. Murray had done better than expected and at the end of the day I shouldn’t be complaining, but I do still think if they were planning to run a tandem like this, at the very least they could have gotten 50% retention or something.
Ritzy a aimé ceci.
17 févr. 2023 à 19 h 34
Leafs Sufferer
Yes, that’s true. I was probably a little more negative than I should have been with my comment. It’s worth noting though that we knew he was going to be injured. That was part of the risk of this deal. Murray had done better than expected and at the end of the day I shouldn’t be complaining, but I do still think if they were planning to run a tandem like this, at the very least they could have gotten 50% retention or something.

I imagine if Dubas had pushed for more retention the less compensation he would have gotten.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 févr. 2023 à 20 h 1
Go leafs go
I imagine if Dubas had pushed for more retention the less compensation he would have gotten.

For sure, but it’s not like he got a lot of compensation to begin with. If it would’ve been like Murray 50% retained for FC I think that’s better than the original deal. A 3rd round pick doesn’t really do anything for the leafs.
19 févr. 2023 à 1 h 18
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,274
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Is it finally time for all the Sens fans to admit that Toronto won this by far???? Murray has .911 save percentage and a 2.72 GAA. He would be the starter on most teams but Sammy is playing out of his mind right now?

No. He's still injury prone and a waste of LTIR
19 févr. 2023 à 10 h 17
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,768
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
No. He's still injury prone and a waste of LTIR

They still won... They essentially got a bridge goalie until Sammy returned (got unlucky with Nylander hurting him but besides that had a groin thing and that's it). Even if he stays on LTIR, they got a piece for ROR and acciari for free (the third was Ottawa's 3rd).

It's fun looking at all of the votes in Ottawa's favour and the 'Summer of Dorion' comments when Dubas (again) makes a deal that makes the Leafs better
19 févr. 2023 à 10 h 23
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,274
Quoting: Leafsfan98
They still won...

Well.. winning a trade. If that's your bar for success, congrats. Raise the banner!

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage