SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Detroit Red Wings signed Ville Husso (3 Years / $4,750,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

8 juill. 2022 à 11 h 57
Pop Pop
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 8,253
I mean I think its a bit to much but husso probably wanted more term so this is the number it ended up being. Its another goalie with limited experience in 2 years nows lets hope the defense gives him more of a chance than Ned got last year.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2022 à 12 h 14
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,429
Quoting: worldwidesensei
I don't get the hate. DET desperately needed a goalie and gave up very little for the guy who just finished 7th in Vezina voting. This is coming from a jealous Sabres fan.

He was also a bench warmer during the last playoffs.

Can't be more unproven than that.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2022 à 12 h 21
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,630
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
The lack of available starting goalies likely drove up his price. Can't wait to see what Campbell and Kuemper get...

Atleast he's only 27 and will likely continue to grow.

Husso is basically in his prime now, pretty sure he is what he is from here on out. Players don't become UFA eligible before their prime years unless they are late LATE bloomers, hopefully that's what Husso is
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2022 à 12 h 31
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,881
Quoting: Ritzy
Campbell and Kuemper can just sit back and watch teams bid for their services.

Or Dubas can walk over to Campbell rn and say you want what he got as rn the basis is 3.5mill MAF x 2 years, 4.75mill x 3 years, or 5mill x 4 years

As of the teams needing a goalie

Edmonton and Toronto are the more attractive destinations with Buffalo being the odd man out

And Kumeper is available so I got a feeling one or the other ends up in Toronto

Washington gets Holtby

and Buffalo gets via trade Adin Hill
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2022 à 12 h 42
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,552
Love this to drive demand in Gibson. Not a lot of starters out there and a number of teams with a need that I thought would be trying to grab Husso. Didn’t expect DET
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2022 à 13 h 57
yotes own canada
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 746
blues fan here. he deserves the money. a relatively young goalie, he was making incredible saves around the middle of the season. hes got great mobility but has puck handling issues, which can be worked out in the right system. in fa he wouldve deserved around a 4x4.5 mil contract. plus this is only 3 years. problem is that detroit doesnt need him
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2022 à 14 h 18
Jacob
Rejoint: sept. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 42
Modifié 8 juill. 2022 à 23 h 51
If I had a nickel every time detroit traded for and subsequently signed a mid 20s goaltender coming off a late but albeit impressive rookie season (despite less than half a season of playing time) playing behind a strong defense with the intent of making him their new starter... I'd have two nickels. But it's weird that it happened twice. In a row
OldNYIfan, Doshee, oilersguy and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2022 à 14 h 43
Steve
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 480
I like the signing but it seems a little rich. I really like Ned and I hope he doesn’t get a complex over this signing.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2022 à 15 h 13
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,268
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Husso is basically in his prime now, pretty sure he is what he is from here on out. Players don't become UFA eligible before their prime years unless they are late LATE bloomers, hopefully that's what Husso is

If we were talking about anything other than a goalie I'd agree, but the trend seems to be that theyre in their prime around 28-33
8 juill. 2022 à 15 h 17
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 2,630
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
If we were talking about anything other than a goalie I'd agree, but the trend seems to be that theyre in their prime around 28-33

Perhaps. The cap hit still looks pretty risky to me though, didn't expect Yzerman to budge at that high a number
KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2022 à 16 h 8
NoCupsForCanada
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 557
Quoting: dickie_boon
problem is that detroit doesnt need him

So was Detroit supposed to have a shooter tutor in net for 30-40 games then? Because they definitely needed a goalie.
8 juill. 2022 à 17 h 16
Josh
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 276
Husso: I had one good season so I'm clearly worth a lot of money.

Yzerman:

cover10.jpg
8 juill. 2022 à 18 h 14
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 304
Overpay.
8 juill. 2022 à 18 h 29
I make typos
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991
Quoting: worldwidesensei
I don't get the hate. DET desperately needed a goalie and gave up very little for the guy who just finished 7th in Vezina voting. This is coming from a jealous Sabres fan.

why are you jealous? Levi is a future Vezina winner
8 juill. 2022 à 20 h 15
BORDEGOD
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 490
A rare Yzerman L
8 juill. 2022 à 21 h 58
sensonfire
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,439
The very definition of pickpocketing.
8 juill. 2022 à 23 h 23
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Husso's save % will drop by 0.3 or more next season. Grubauer 2.0.
aadoyle et Hurricanes_WPG a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2022 à 0 h 5
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,881
Quoting: Brian2016
Husso's save % will drop by 0.3 or more next season. Grubauer 2.0.

Husso game 4 allows 10 goals

Ned comes in allows 7

A new goals allowed record is set
Brian2016 et Hurricanes_WPG a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2022 à 2 h 37
couldnt afford 2nd t
Mentions "j'aime": 431
Quoting: aadoyle
So this means Alex Nedeljkovic probs gonna be moved

They should probably keep both this season in a 1A/1B situation.

This trade is what it is. If a team doesn't develop their goalie internally, they usually have to gamble a bit or pay through the nose. The goalie market has been a bit difficult to predict the last few years, with lots of big signings to goalies who seem somewhat marginal, like Ullmark's contract in Boston. At least with Husso, he showed high end potential, only it was over a small sample size.

Detroit has 31 million in cap space, and they don't have any significant contracts to give out. This is a risk they can take without hurting their roster at all. This is pretty clearly a bridge to Cossa, who 4 years from now is either their starter, and if not is a huge disappointment. They likely don't want to have major term and cap tied up in a goalie at the same time the ELC Cossa is on will expire. Look at the situation Florida is in with Bobrovsky and Knight.

No one was afforded a can't miss goalie this summer. Georgiev, Vanecek, and Mrazek were the other goalies traded at the draft. Murray is also available. Kuemper and Campbell will both get huge contracts, and be able to pick their destination out of multiple top teams. They both will require too much term for Detroit if Detroit is using this goalie as a bridge to Cossa.

So if people are going to say Husso is the wrong guy, I doubt the right guy was out there, and they needed a starter, or at least a 1 A/B to pair with Nedeljokovic.
TheWolfe a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2022 à 3 h 20
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 769
Quoting: oilersguy
why are you jealous? Levi is a future Vezina winner

1. That's a bit premature
2. Levi is in the NCAA for at least this season, then probably needs 1-2 years in the AHL, then probably needs 1-3 years of NHL experience before he reaches that level.
3. There's no guarantee that Levi ever signs with the Sabres. He can just walk himself to Free Agency.

I'm jealous because DET has a goalie that was 7th in vezina voting and all they gave up was a 3rd round pick for him. Meanwhile, Levi is at least 3-7 years away, if he even signs with BUF.
9 juill. 2022 à 8 h 1
NoCupsForCanada
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 557
Quoting: budgeteam
So if people are going to say Husso is the wrong guy, I doubt the right guy was out there, and they needed a starter, or at least a 1 A/B to pair with Nedeljokovic.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. Soup and Kuemper probably want 5-6 years, so who exactly does that leave? Martin Jones? Red Wings legend Eric Comrie? Detroit looked at the market and chose the goalie that fit their needs best and still won't be anywhere near the cap this year or in the years to come.
9 juill. 2022 à 9 h 34
Master of Bloodsport
Rejoint: nov. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 177
Dunno about this. I like Husso, but almost 5 mil for three years for a guy who has 57 career games is a lot. I can understand needing someone to chew minutes but you can find journeymen for cheaper who can do that.

Very sink or swim. This either works out or it goes horrendous for Detroit and they have to sell him for diminished assets.
9 juill. 2022 à 12 h 34
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Otto_Kirov
Dunno about this. I like Husso, but almost 5 mil for three years for a guy who has 57 career games is a lot. I can understand needing someone to chew minutes but you can find journeymen for cheaper who can do that.

Very sink or swim. This either works out or it goes horrendous for Detroit and they have to sell him for diminished assets.

Who would you suggest they acquire via trade or free agency as an alternative?

wHnzB3L.jpg

Holtby is apparently not playing next season. Campbell and Kuemper are rumored to want long term deals, and are also unlikely to choose a team in the middle stage of a rebuild as their destination.

That leaves Jones, Tokarski, Greiss, and Gillies as the only UFA goalies available who played more than 20 games last season. None of those guys were good.

In the trade market there was Georgiev, and Vanecek. Vanecek only has 1 more season than Husso, and hasn't played at a level as high as him. Georgiev has the best resume of the three, but also has not played as good as Husso did last season, and has only played a max of 34 games in a season. Mrazek was also available.

Gibson is available, but doesn't fit Detroit's timeline as they likely want a goalie signed 2-3 years to bridge to Cossa. The acquisition cost for Gibson should also be much higher than a 3rd.

Matt Murray is available, and likely comes with an asset. He would have been the best possible trade option for Detroit because he is on a 2 year deal, and he has the highest ceiling of any goalie available. The problem with Murray is that he is unreliable due to being injury prone. Detroit is likely at a stage in their rebuild where they want to start pushing for the playoffs. Which isn't to say they will make it in, but I doubt they want to set their new core up to have a losers mentality like the 2010-2015 Oilers rebuild that was notorious for that.

With all of the above in mind, I don't see how this is a bad move. Let's look at the absolute worst case scenario that Husso plays badly and is on waivers before the end of the season. There are no real long term consequences to that since Detroit has so much cap space. The opportunity cost is that it hurts the development of their core group since they lose more this season. That risk is going to come with any of the above available goalies. There was clearly no perfect and consistent goalie available who was a realistic target for Detroit. They had to roll the dice on one of them, just like Colorado and New Jersey did.
9 juill. 2022 à 17 h 0
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 548
Quoting: budgeteam
They should probably keep both this season in a 1A/1B situation.

This trade is what it is. If a team doesn't develop their goalie internally, they usually have to gamble a bit or pay through the nose. The goalie market has been a bit difficult to predict the last few years, with lots of big signings to goalies who seem somewhat marginal, like Ullmark's contract in Boston. At least with Husso, he showed high end potential, only it was over a small sample size.

Detroit has 31 million in cap space, and they don't have any significant contracts to give out. This is a risk they can take without hurting their roster at all. This is pretty clearly a bridge to Cossa, who 4 years from now is either their starter, and if not is a huge disappointment. They likely don't want to have major term and cap tied up in a goalie at the same time the ELC Cossa is on will expire. Look at the situation Florida is in with Bobrovsky and Knight.

No one was afforded a can't miss goalie this summer. Georgiev, Vanecek, and Mrazek were the other goalies traded at the draft. Murray is also available. Kuemper and Campbell will both get huge contracts, and be able to pick their destination out of multiple top teams. They both will require too much term for Detroit if Detroit is using this goalie as a bridge to Cossa.

I agree. If they think a tandem with Ned is the way to go, Husso seems like the right guy. But is $4.75M AAV the right price? It seems at least $1M too high to me. Detroit may not care about cap hit now, but by the third year, with Seider and Raymond coming off their entry level contracts, they might.
9 juill. 2022 à 22 h 37
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: jr400
I agree. If they think a tandem with Ned is the way to go, Husso seems like the right guy. But is $4.75M AAV the right price? It seems at least $1M too high to me. Detroit may not care about cap hit now, but by the third year, with Seider and Raymond coming off their entry level contracts, they might.

It puts him in the range of the 20th-25th highest paid goalie once Kuemper, Campbell, and likely Oettinger sign. Which makes him one of the lowest paid starting goalies in the league.

I think it is hard to argue he is overpaid when he will be in the bottom third of starting goalies in terms of cap hit. Cal Peterson is a goalie who signed a similar contract with a similar resume at the time he signed.

If someone has experience evaluating goalies, and feels he is flawed and will come down to earth, that's fine. But just on paper, there is nothing outlandish about a UFA goalie who just had a great 40+ game season getting low end starting money on a shorter term deal. That's where the goalie market is right now. There are not a lot of options for teams who need goalies. Almost every possible goalie comes with risks or flaws.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage