SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Pittsburgh Penguins signed Kris Letang (6 Years / $6,100,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 11
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,632
Letang at the end of his contract

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fu2bxjqv3d8e51.png&f=1&nofb=1
weirfanno1 et PraVin26 a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 12
ForeverDED
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
Someone help me out here, cuz I honestly don't know. Because he's 35, if he retires prior to the end of his deal his full cap hit remains? Is that correct, or am I way off here?

I have never fully understood retirement recapture and don't really want to put in the work tbh.

The Penguins are on the hook if there's a signing bonus in second year or later (initial reports say no, but aren't confirmed yet) OR if it's a front-loaded contract (right now, CapFriendly is showing pay spread out evenly over the length of the contract). Won't know for sure until it's confirmed.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#thirtyfive_plus
RawDeal, OldNYIfan et Anus_McLeod a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 18
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,191
Quoting: Pens3lieve
WHAT IN THE ABSOLUTE HECK IS GOING ON HERE???

I think these are users writing comments in response to the recent Kris Letang contract.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 19
riles23
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 52
Quoting: Random2152
You'd have to be on drugs to think this was a good idea. What are you doing hextal?????

Term was the most important part of the negotiation here, not aav

How is term the most important? They have 3 more years of Sid and then it's a rough looking rebuild. Term is irrelevant. Getting Letang at 6mil is a huge W.
OldNYIfan, BradTolliverGoalie, HillbillyPenguin88 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 19
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 20
The way I see it, the Pens only want to be competitive for 3 more years (until Crosby’s contract is up and he’s 37). So as long as this contract is good value for like 2 years (debatable, but probably), they’re fine with it. What do they care if they need to buyout or LTIR for the last 3 years - they’ll be trying to win the draft lottery by then anyway.
riles23, OldNYIfan, BradTolliverGoalie and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 21
riles23
Mentions "j'aime": 52
Quoting: ColonelX
That's like Vlasic bad.

comparing Vlasic to Letang is comical.
Earth, nf9, OldNYIfan and 2 others a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 28
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,878
7.25 x 3 is what I would have given him

Yes he took less but for an extra 3 years

**** that
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 30
ForeverDED
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7
Quoting: ForeverDED
The Penguins are on the hook if there's a signing bonus in second year or later (initial reports say no, but aren't confirmed yet) OR if it's a front-loaded contract (right now, CapFriendly is showing pay spread out evenly over the length of the contract). Won't know for sure until it's confirmed.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#thirtyfive_plus

CapFriendly updated the contract on the player's page. NMC for first four years. Front-loaded with $8mil first two years. Then 1 yr @ $6.2 mil. Rest of contract $4.8 mil. So yeah, looks like if he retires early, it's all on the Pens.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 30
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,472
Uuuuuhhhhhhhhh……?
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 36
to be banned soon
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 541
EN6.gif
weirfanno1 a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 36
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,980
Quoting: Ritzy
Oh boy. 6.1M until he's 41, that's wild.

Quoting: Random2152
You'd have to be on drugs to think this was a good idea. What are you doing hextal?????

Term was the most important part of the negotiation here, not aav

Quoting: mondo
This is going to age very badly.

Quoting: fullblowncaniac90
a little less AAV than i expected but wow that term is BRUTAL

Quoting: TheresAlwaysNextYear
Way too much term. He’s 35. Would’ve been excellent 5 years ago

Quoting: ColonelX
That's like Vlasic bad.

Adding onto this point: if this contract was signed with the intention of him not playing out the full six years (ie going on LITR and becoming a trading asset), that sounds a lot like cap circumvention.

Quoting: nf9
That term…

Quoting: HonestHockeyNYI
This contract is like J.R never left the Pens.

Quoting: Devil
Penguins: How much term do you want?

Letang:
cover10.jpg

Quoting: PraVin26
That definitely is a contract

Quoting: weirfanno1
Yikes the performance decrease will happen and that cap hit till he is 41 even yikes. This is one of those buyout contracts down the road. And the next GM of the Penguins scratches his head to the previous GM....

YIKES!

Quoting: BluesFan81
That's way too much term holy....

Quoting: mr_z
hahahah hope the Pens fans crying that he'd only sign for 4+ over $8m are happier with this anchor lolol

Quoting: Stones6160
Did Hextall not learn that giving a Dman a boatload of Money until they are like 40 doesn’t work, like Suter, Weber, Heck even Brent Seabrook and Duncan Keith, I don’t get it

Quoting: Mcdeeznuts
The NExt Zdeno CHara

Quoting: BlackwoodForVezina
6 years???

Quoting: Nqutilus
The AAV would be fine if it were like 1 or 2 years, but 6 years? My god…

Quoting: Doshee
This
this is honestly just the worst contract I've seen the pens sign in a long time
Why 6?? 1-3 years would be great, anything more gets into the realm of anchor, why 6!?
Have fun with this contract in 5, hell, 3 years

These comments are exactly why I don’t use this site anymore besides the GM game. But I needed a good laugh and I definitely came to the right place.

This contract is absolutely brilliant. Do you really think for a second that Kris Letang given his injury history will play out the entirety of the contract? Absolutely not. He will be sent on LTIR like the Weber / hosss deals towards the end. The contract kept the AAV ridiculously low for the initial years of the deal, and in the “ugly” years of the contract, he will be on LTIR.
riles23, OldNYIfan, BradTolliverGoalie and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 38
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 321
He'll be on LTIR and "retired" by year 3....
mhockey91 a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 39
Quoting: msekkes
He'll be on LTIR and "retired" by year 3....

Exactly loool people struggle to understand that
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 40
Leafs Sufferer
Mentions "j'aime": 3,511
Quoting: mhockey91
These comments are exactly why I don’t use this site anymore besides the GM game. But I needed a good laugh and I definitely came to the right place.

This contract is absolutely brilliant. Do you really think for a second that Kris Letang given his injury history will play out the entirety of the contract? Absolutely not. He will be sent on LTIR like the Weber / hosss deals towards the end. The contract kept the AAV ridiculously low for the initial years of the deal, and in the “ugly” years of the contract, he will be on LTIR.

I hope he's healthy for 6 more years.

That would be good for him, and a good laugh for the rest of us.
mr_z a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 41
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,267
It's good and bad.

Good - It ensures that the Penguins will have a #1/#2 defensemen for cheap for the next few years while Crosby is still elite.

Bad - After Crosby is gone, Letang will still be there and won't be very good anymore.
BigManColby a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 42
Quoting: Ritzy
I hope he's healthy for 6 more years.

That would be good for him, and a good laugh for the rest of us.

Well he won’t be. A good laugh for the rest of us is watching the leafs crumble every year in the post season.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 46
do not Devil my ass
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,248
Seems like I'm very much in the minority but I think this is a good contract.

This AAV is a fair bit lower than Letang's initial position but get the extra term to compensate, but the thing is that term doesn't really hurt the Penguins whatsoever.
And for a guy I consider to currently be a top 15RHD in the league, this is a good AAV.

Pens are only gonna be competitive for as long as Crosby allows it. When he's no longer a top line center, then Pens can start tanking. I suspect this to happen around 2025-26.
Coincidentally, I think it's a decent bet that Letang doesn't have a shelf life longer than 2-3 years either. This is also around the time Guentzel's contract is up.
This means that whenever Letang starts to seriously decline, the Penguins are gonna have to tank anyway (and they're gonna have to tank haaaard for a good number of years to rebuild), and as such paying Letang 6.1m for an additional few years won't matter one bit.
But that lessened AAV may in the short term allow the Penguins some additional room to make maneuvers gearing up for 2 or three deeper runs in the playoffs.

I vote this a good signing.
OldNYIfan et BigManColby a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 46
torontos finest
He will be sent on LTIR like the Weber / hosss deals towards the end. The contract kept the AAV ridiculously low for the initial years of the deal, and in the “ugly” years of the contract, he will be on LTIR.

This is blatant cap circumvention if this is the intention of the contract.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 48
This is blatant cap circumvention if this is the intention of the contract.

And what will the league do about it? What proof do they possibly have?

It’s pretty obvious the contract will end in LTIR, however, there is absolutely zero concrete evidence other than common sense.

A player with an injury history as long as Letang will never last till 41.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 53
torontos finest
And what will the league do about it? What proof do they possibly have?

It’s pretty obvious the contract will end in LTIR, however, there is absolutely zero concrete evidence other than common sense.

A player with an injury history as long as Letang will never last till 41.

If Letang has to retire due to injury the league should have Pittsburgh keep the entire 6.1 million on their books instead of letting them use LITR. Especially considering it's a 35+ contract.
PraVin26 a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 54
to be banned soon
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 541

very bold of you to assume that the LTIR loophole won't be plugged up in the next CBA
doublem24 a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 13 h 58
If Letang has to retire due to injury the league should have Pittsburgh keep the entire 6.1 million on their books instead of letting them use LITR. Especially considering it's a 35+ contract.

Quoting: SnakeDelilah
very bold of you to assume that the LTIR loophole won't be plugged up in the next CBA

And that’s your opinion. But as the rules stand right now, God forbid Letang has some sort of freak injury next season and is no longer physically able to play, they would be able to LTIR the deal.

Obviously I don’t anticipate him entering LTIR anytime soon. Potentially year 4/5/6 depending on many factors. Regardless, I just don’t see a world where we plays to 41.
7 juill. 2022 à 14 h 2
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 136

+35. *thumbs up.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
7 juill. 2022 à 14 h 8
Quoting: mr_z
+35. *thumbs up.

That’s for retirement not LTIR I thought. He won’t officially retire, just placed on LTIR indefinitely
7 juill. 2022 à 14 h 12
Just Keep Swimming
Mentions "j'aime": 5,572

Cheering for career ending injuries. That's a good look man. Real good look
SnakeDelilah, Stones6160, weirfanno1 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage