SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Tampa Bay Lightning signed Nicholas Paul (7 Years / $3,150,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

1 juill. 2022 à 10 h 39
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 5,863
The AAV is fine, it's just a lot of term and commitment to a guy that doesn't finish many chances
1 juill. 2022 à 10 h 39
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,880
Quoting: Random2152
3 mil for a 4th liner is not only not crucial, but massively detrimental to a team.

You don't pay depth, and never to term. Tampa did both here. Notice how most of those contract you cited are awful already, and the one that isn't (coleman) is significantly better than Paul is

Not sure how any of those deals are "already awful". 100% making that Laughton and Lowry deal. The Jarncrok deal was only 2M for 6 years and paid off as he was a regularly getting 30ish points a year. Goodrow the only one I'm slightly out on.
1 juill. 2022 à 10 h 40
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,395
Some people who will applaud this are also saying Joel Armia has a horrible contract....

- 7 x 3.15M for a bottom 6 player on championship team: "Good move, he's worth it!"

Vs

- 4 x 3.6M+ for a bottom 6 player on a non playoff team: "He's a capdump!"

I'm not saying Paul isn't worth it, just that if he signed the same contract with another team than TB, people's opinion would be a lot more negative about it.
Bruins1054_gmb et jr400 a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2022 à 10 h 42
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,880
Quoting: Tarlam01
Would you say Kassian has a good AAV ? Is he worth the money now, probably. If he ends up being a 4th line staple, it’ll be an horrible contract. I voted no simply because this locks some longterm money for a role Tampa could afford getting for cheaper.

I wouldn't consider Kassian as someone who can play up and down the lineup and all situations. Even if he provides positive value for only 3 years on the deal, it's still within Tampa's window of being a serious contender. You always take that. If he becomes a 4th line staple down the line who cares? Your window is over so you won't care about paying some 4th liner 4% of the cap - which is expected to increase by then.
1 juill. 2022 à 10 h 49
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,231
Not really a fan of this deal TBH. I think in order for a team to win, they're depth has to be cheaper because they need that cap to keep their star players. When you're Tampa and you can easily find these depth players later in the draft, you shouldn't be signing them to 7 year contracts.
rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2022 à 11 h 7
Rejoint: sept. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 715
Modifié 1 juill. 2022 à 11 h 16
People calling this a bad deal because you don’t give term to depth guys. Paul was 6th among forwards in TOI for Tampa in the playoffs. Where are these other depth guys averaging 18+ minutes in the playoffs on a power house team. 7th in team points. Can play the penalty kill and power play. If I tell you those things but don’t attach Paul’s name to it, you wouldn’t think that is a depth guy. As Tampa has to adjust their roster, his role with the team will only grow. I understand the risk some of you are saying but this deal also can be a steal for Tampa. If it starts to go bad towards the end of the contract it is not that outrageous of a cap hit for them to trade/dump him.
phillyjabroni et AddiAsh20 a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2022 à 11 h 7
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 685
Reminds me of the Abdelkader contract
JAKE6, Briley et rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2022 à 11 h 36
Let Him Cook
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 962
Ooooofff that is a bad deal. You don't sign depth to term, ever.

CF users once again demonstrating a total lack of understanding in risk of term is pretty funny. This contract is awful and is extremely unlikely to age well in the near ish future let alone the next half decade +

Good for him though.

never played a full season also. bad contract by tampa
CSStrowbridge a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2022 à 11 h 39
Let Him Cook
Mentions "j'aime": 962
Modifié 1 juill. 2022 à 12 h 51
Quoting: HiddenValley
People calling this a bad deal because you don’t give term to depth guys. Paul was 6th among forwards in TOI for Tampa in the playoffs. Where are these other depth guys averaging 18+ minutes in the playoffs on a power house team. 7th in team points. Can play the penalty kill and power play. If I tell you those things but don’t attach Paul’s name to it, you wouldn’t think that is a depth guy. As Tampa has to adjust their roster, his role with the team will only grow. I understand the risk some of you are saying but this deal also can be a steal for Tampa. If it starts to go bad towards the end of the contract it is not that outrageous of a cap hit for them to trade/dump him.

its a a bad move cuz hes never played anywhere close to a full season in his whole carrer, hes injury prone and plays a physical game, chances he gets hurt in tampa are extremly high
CSStrowbridge et rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2022 à 11 h 42
Jimmy Stu
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 541
He plays very similar to Alex Killorn and considering he had a 4.5m cap hit, it could be a great deal that pays off huge for them at 3.1
1 juill. 2022 à 11 h 51
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,293
Good deal though too much term, Paul should be a stalwart on their 3rd line for years to come
1 juill. 2022 à 11 h 57
Mentions "j'aime": 847
Wow. This is such a hard contract to judge.

Positives:
The AAV is great for a player that should score 50 points next season, given how well he played with Tampa the last part of the season.

Negatives:
However, it also lasts will he's 34 years old.
Furthermore, that was just a 21-game sample and he could go back to a 30-point pace and sometimes struggles to avoid being a healthy scratch. In that case, this will be a really bad contract that will last until Tampa is tanking for a rebuild.
Anus_McLeod a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2022 à 12 h 4
Rejoint: sept. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 715
Quoting: jake4leafs
its a a bad move cuz hes never played anywhere close to a full season in his whole carrer, hes injury prone and plays a physical game, chances are he gets hurt in tampa are extremly high

Great! Tampa are the masters of LTIR!
GenXHockey a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2022 à 12 h 15
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 121
Quoting: DongLord23
Reminds me of the Abdelkader contract

Hard pass, Abdelkader always sucked. Just watching the two play, you can tell they're different by miles
1 juill. 2022 à 12 h 24
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
Ooooofff that is a bad deal. You don't sign depth to term, ever.

CF users once again demonstrating a total lack of understanding in risk of term is pretty funny. This contract is awful and is extremely unlikely to age well in the near ish future let alone the next half decade +

Good for him though.

Nothing wrong with the term. Should have been front loaded a bit more. This is a tactic the leafs should use.
1 juill. 2022 à 12 h 50
Josh
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 276
That's a joke right... Tampa doesn't even have the money for this, gunna be fun watching them avoid the cap again this year, how do you guys think they'll do it?
1 juill. 2022 à 12 h 52
Inferno
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 50
Good deal but that term stinks. Never sign depth pieces to over 3 years
rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2022 à 12 h 56
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 728
W signing for the lightning.
1 juill. 2022 à 13 h 6
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Quoting: CoopsTroops
$3M will probably be high later in the contract, but cap is about to go up so it shouldn't be an issue.

By then you can trade the deal once the bonus is paid
1 juill. 2022 à 13 h 28
GM CRIME DAWG
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,686
Built for playoffs.
Looked good every game of every series.
Can do it all.
VOTE YES....................

Now drop that waste of CAP/zero-talent Hagel (and get the prospects-pick back) & Zito would be a freakin-genius!!
1 juill. 2022 à 13 h 40
14m in dead cap
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,043
Quoting: yikes
What’s funnier is paid professionals created the deal and believe it’s good. Too much ego on yah head for internet points.

Briesbois knows the deal is a headache by year 7.

I mean a lot of paid professionals sign players to deals they think are fine every year and yet here we are approaching the buyout window and speculating on which bad contracts get bought out. It's almost like some of these paid professionals make mistakes or something..
1 juill. 2022 à 14 h 4
Mentions "j'aime": 148
3 mil for a 4th liner is not only not crucial, but massively detrimental to a team.

You don't pay depth, and never to term. Tampa did both here. Notice how most of those contract you cited are awful already, and the one that isn't (coleman) is significantly better than Paul is

Or maybe you don’t pay wingers more than 5 million dollars. The model to building a team should be 2 elite play driving centers, a top 4 defence core and a solid matchup 3C. Everything else just falls into place when you have these down.
1 juill. 2022 à 14 h 6
Mentions "j'aime": 148
Quoting: GenXHockey
Nothing wrong with the term. Should have been front loaded a bit more. This is a tactic the leafs should use.

Leafs need a matchup 3C if Keefe doesn’t think he can coach Kerfoot to play that type of game. Paul was my top option but now I’d say trade a prospect for Nic Roy?
1 juill. 2022 à 14 h 17
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
Quoting: Analytics_are_good
Leafs need a matchup 3C if Keefe doesn’t think he can coach Kerfoot to play that type of game. Paul was my top option but now I’d say trade a prospect for Nic Roy?

Kampf is a perfect player for that role. Leafs need a top 6 lW that can play C for injuries.
1 juill. 2022 à 14 h 47
Mentions "j'aime": 539
Does this mean Palat is gone? I thought they might be able to keep him if he would take a bit of a home-team discount, but using this much cap hit on Paul makes that look pretty challenging, Unless they're going to trade Killorn.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage