SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

My 2022 Draft Predictions With Explanations

My 2022 Draft Predictions With Explanations

Cuvée de repêchage: 2022
Créé par: NorthernLeafsFan05
Publié: 21 juin 2022 à 18 h 14
RONDE 1ÉQUIPEORIGINALJOUEURDéTAILS
1Logo de Canadiens de Montréal-Personally, I don't love Shane Wright on the Habs (and thats not just because I am a Leafs fan). I think Wright's career will pan out a lot like the career of Ryan Nugent Hopkins where the upside is there, but he really just becomes a guy that is slightly above average at both ends of the ice. He doesn't excel at any one thing, but does everything right (or rather Wright). I think thats a fine skillset for a player to have, but I think relying on that type of player to be your 1C is kind of a garbage idea. Look at all the elite 1C's around the league. Matthews is an absolute workhorse offensively. McDavid excels in his speed and offense. Mackinnon is extremely strong and an unstoppable force. Point puts it all on the line. I just don't think Wright has that elite difference making skillset to get the Habs what they need. Maybe they take Wright, tank next year, and take a guy like Bedard or Fantilli that will be their 1Cs while Wright plays second fiddle. I know it sounds harsh, I just dont understand the hype. I think Cooley would be the better fit but he won't be taken at number 1.
2Logo de Devils du New Jersey-Theres no doubt in my mind the Devils draft Slaf. Not only do they get a guy that helps them positionally, but also a guy who has put up some ridiculous numbers over the last few tournaments he's played in. He's massive, a great skater, and a point getter. I think he's a no brainer for the Devils needs
3Logo de Coyotes de l'Arizona-I could very well see Arizona taking Logan Cooley. He's an elite centerman and would be a great piece to build around. That being said, I assume their rebuild is far from over and they will look to get Bedard to Fantilli next year. I think Gauthier is a very skilled centerman whose got the hometown connection to the Coyotes. He'd be a very solid pick for them and plays a style that is hard to come across; the point producing power forward.
4Logo de Kraken de Seattle-I think Cooley would be excellent on the Kraken. An exciting young center who would be absolutely insane if paired with Beniers. The fact he's only 5'10 will probably sway some of the boomer GMs to not take him, but he's a very good player and is deserving of the high praise.
5Logo de Flyers de Philadelphie-Philly is absolutely in need of an elite young defenseman like Nemec. I think he would be an incredible addition to the Flyers system and would begin a trend in the right direction. Philly is in a weird position where they are in a soft rebuild. They traded Giroux, but still want to be competitive. They have Couturier long term, Ellis and Farabee locked up, Risto somehow still getting paid big bucks, plus the very promising Carter Hart. I think Nemec changes the tragectory of their backend and maybe is the start of a new era in Philly.
6Logo de Blue Jackets de ColumbusLogo de Blackhawks de ChicagoA bit of personal bias because I'm a Jackets fan and really like Savoie, but I think he would be great. I doubt he plays C at the NHL level, but he would be a fantastic guy to play with Johnson and Sillinger. Extremely skilled and has all the tools to play at the NHL level. His frame probably scares other GMs away from his immense skill, so I think it's not a stretch for him to be available at 6.
7Logo de Sénateurs d'Ottawa-I think Ottawa would be perfect for Nazar. Not only does he play a style of game that I think screams Senators hockey, but he also has a ton of skill. Like some players before him, he has a seemingly diminitive frame, but this kid plays hard and would be a nightmare to play against. As a Leafs fan, the prospect of a line consisting of Tkachuk and Nazar frightens me.
8Logo de Red Wings de Detroit-Stevie Y sticks with his Swedes and drafts the ultra talented Lekkerimaki. This kid is special and having him and Raymond play together make the Wings an offensive nightmare. Jiricek would also be nuts behind Seider and Edvinsson, but I think Lekkerimaki is the ultimate Red Wings pick and you guys would absolutely reap the benefits of taking a chance on this guy.
9Logo de Sabres de Buffalo-Honestly, Kemell is another guy I dont really love, but he gets a lot of love from scouts so you'd have to think Buffalo takes him at 9. Could be a decent scoring threat next to Krebs and Cozens I suppose. I think they pass on a defenseman because of how loaded their blue line is.
10Logo de Ducks d'Anaheim-Didn't have a great start in the 21 KHL games he played, but then again the KHL is one of the strongest leagues in the world and is notoriously low scoring. He had a good showing in the MHL and could be a good complimentary winger to play with Zegras or McTavish down the road.
11Logo de Sharks de San Jose-
12Logo de Blue Jackets de Columbus-Another prediction that is slightly skewed by my own personal bias as someone that likes both the Jackets and Lambert. Lambert's talent is absolutely undeniable and arguably top 5 in this draft. That being said, he had a subpar season which may cause him to slightly fall in the draft. I dont think he drops out of the top 15, but he may come at the trail end of it. I think he would be great in Columbus and would bring a lot of speed to this young core.
13Logo de Islanders de New York-Since trading Toews, it has become abundantly clear that the Islanders need an elite puck moving defenseman. Mintyukov is one of the best in the draft and plays the left side which is one of the weaker spots of the Islander's roster. His numbers this season were remarkable and I think the fit between him and NYI is just too good.
14Logo de Jets de Winnipeg-The Jets draft the local kid who also just happens to be one of this drafts best defenseman. Mateychuk exels at so much and would be a game changer for that Winnipeg blue line. He possesses so much talent and could very likely become the number 1 guy in the Peg for years to come.
15Logo de Canucks de Vancouver-
16Logo de Sabres de BuffaloLogo de Golden Knights de VegasKasper reminds me a lot of Zach Hyman. He is non-stop. A puck hound. He gives it his all and has a seemingly endless tank of energy. His skating is pretty good and he could compliment Buffalo's other guy players very nicely
17Logo de Predators de Nashville-
18Logo de Stars de Dallas-Luneau is a right shooting offensive defenseman who I think could pair very well with Miro. Dallas' forward group is absolutely loaded with the likes of Stankoven and Johnston. Luneau also has the benefit of having a pretty nice frame at 6'2.
19Logo de Kings de Los Angeles-
20Logo de Capitals de Washington-
21Logo de Penguins de Pittsburgh-The Penguins prospect pool is a little bit "meh" to put it nicely. Hughes didn't put up stellar numbers in the NCAA, but he's only 18 and showed some defensive upside. I think he fits the bill for Pens draft pick and I think he could be very solid for them
22Logo de Ducks d'AnaheimLogo de Bruins de BostonOstlund is a fantastic playmaker, skater, and just an all around smart guy. He would be a fantastic young piece to add to this exciting Ducks core. His numbers this year were very promising, and his level of IQ is something that can't be taught. Just a very good all around guy
23Logo de Blues de St-Louis-Owen Pickering is an absolute giant who is good defensively and in transition, and really showed some offensive upside this past season. He has a calm presence about him and with his giant size can close gaps with ease.
24Logo de Wild du Minnesota-
25Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto-
26Logo de Canadiens de MontréalLogo de Flames de Calgary
27Logo de Coyotes de l'ArizonaLogo de Hurricanes de la CarolineExtremely physical guy with a huge frame. Considering his style of play, he actually put up some decent QMJHL numbers. May as well take a flyer on him, not a lot of guys like that around
28Logo de Sabres de BuffaloLogo de Panthers de la Floride
29Logo de Oilers d'Edmonton-Edmonton loves drafting forwards. He's got one of if not the single best release in the draft. He put up some very good number in the WHL and is super smart. Also has easily the best flow in the entire draft. Alberta born, may as well bring him home.
30Logo de Jets de WinnipegLogo de Rangers de New YorkIf Winnipeg gets both Mateychuk and Casey in the same draft, they will walk away a different team. Casey has so much offensive and transitional upside. His defensive game is also pretty run of the mill although it could use some improvememt. He's just such a smart player with a good handle on the puck and a very high hockey IQ.
31Logo de Lightning de Tampa Bay-Goyette had a very good season in the WHL. The young center is very smart about the game and has a very high offensive ceiling. His defense could use some work but he's an all around solid guy. He is also dating one of my cousins so thats something
32Logo de Coyotes de l'ArizonaLogo de Avalanche du ColoradoNelson is a former 1st overall selection in the OHL priority draft. His offensive potential is immense and he's just an all around solid dude. He'd look pretty good on Arizona's back end
21 juin 2022 à 18 h 16
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,009
Some explanations didnt post, so here they are:

11. David Jiricek (SJS): San Jose has no shortage of strong forward prospects with Eklund, Bordeleau, Coe, Weatherby, and so on. I think Jiricek would be a very nice piece for them and a much welcomed cheap defenseman while on his ELC. I like the fit

15. Conor Geekie (VAN): Conor Geekie is an absolute giant and has the potential to be a great two way player. I think he would mesh well with guys like Petterson, Miller, and Horvat. His skillset is there and his massive frame probably sets him up nicely to be a top 6 regular in the near future.

17. Kevin Korchinski (NSH): Korchinski has a stupid amount of poential and is another one of those defenseman in this years draft that I think could be difference makers on their teams. His transitional and offensive abilities are undeniable, and he isn't awful in his own end either. I think under the mentorship of Roman Josi, he could become a stud.

19. Ivan Miroshnichenko (LAK): I think LA is the exact kind of team that should take a bet on Miroshnichenko. They have so many great pieces and just made the playoffs after having a lottery pick last year. They have so many skilled players and will only continue to get better. Miroshnichenko is a top 5 skill in this draft that lost stock due to his medical situation. He is progressing well thankully, and I think LA would hit an absolute home run with him, really solidifying their place as the NHLs next potential dynasty.

20. Gleb Trikozov (WSH): The Capitals take another monsterously talented Russian to play alongside Kuzy and Ovi. Trikozov's offensive capabilities are honestly terrifying, and under the proper development he could easily flourish into one of this drafts better players. His defensive ability is a bit of a question mark but Washington has never shyed away from taking a forward who isn't great in their own end.

24. Jimmy Snuggerud (MIN): Snuggerud is a guy that is across the board projected to go late in the first round, and honestly I don't see how he could go so low. His numbers in the USDP, the USHL, and WJC-18 are nothing short of great and his defensive impact is immense. Fantastic player that would be absolutely terrifying on the Wild. He's from Minnesota and is committed to the U of Minnesota. Definitely a guy that loves his home state. I think he would be a steal at 24.

25. Rutger McGroarty (TOR): McGroarty would be a fantastic fit on the Leafs. Good mesh of skill and physicality. Grew up a Leafs fan and definitely has the passion. His analytics were great this season and he definitely passes the eye test. Very charismatic guy who would fit in well. His skating is definitely a weak point in his game, but the Leafs have never shyed away from that when the player has so many other redeemable qualities (ie. Pavel Gogolev). Afterall, you can teach a guy to skate.

26. Liam Ohgren (MTL): Honestly, if McGroarty isnt available when the Leafs pick, this is the guy I want. Ohgren is a guy that honestly sort of reminds me of J.T Miller. Pretty big bodied dude at 6'1 201lbs at just 18 years old. He had 9 points in 6 games at the WJC18 event and 58pts in 30 games with the J20 Nationell. Seems like a great pick.

28. Filip Mesar (BUF): Considering this is Buffalo's third pick in the first round, they should 100% take a bet on Mesar. He's got a bit of a smaller frame at 5'10, but is one of the best skaters in the draft and is a great transitional player. Super underrated guy who just goes non stop
21 juin 2022 à 18 h 42
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 407
I hope Jackets for Nazar over Savoie and Mateychuk over Lambert. Could also see Kasper if he's available at 12.

In a perfect world we trade up to 4 and get Cooley and then 11 and get Jiricek, I don't know what we have that makes any of that feasible though.

Good write-up. Hard to see AZ passing on Cooley but they could be the club to go Gauthier over him.
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
21 juin 2022 à 18 h 56
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,432
As a canucks fan i love the Geekie mock, haven't seen it too much though so thanks!
21 juin 2022 à 21 h 3
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 112
No hate but if any team except the habs were picking first would you still dislike Wright???
21 juin 2022 à 21 h 28
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2
Modifié 21 juin 2022 à 21 h 35
I don't agree with the Wright bit. But outside of that, pretty good explanations.
raph222b et NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
21 juin 2022 à 21 h 35
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 11,638
Quoting: Dakraa
Really great and thorough explanations man. I don't agree with all of them (I don't think Cutter will go any higher than 5th and I don't think Anaheim will go with Yurov over Jiricek or the other def still available) but you did a good job for the most part.

Yiricek is an instant pick/no brained
Salzy et NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
21 juin 2022 à 22 h 2
SLAFKOVKSY
Rejoint: déc. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 459
Don't forget that Wright and McDavid had very similar rookie seasons. Wright missed a full year because of covid and that would hurt any young players stats... I think there is a reason for the hype.
22 juin 2022 à 2 h 45
Rejoint: avr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 8
If the Shorks somehow nab Jiricek I'll send every GM who passed on him a gift basket and a heartfelt thank you note.
22 juin 2022 à 4 h 9
Rejoint: avr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 387
0 chance cbj picks lambert.
22 juin 2022 à 8 h 26
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,936
There isnt a chance in the world ANA passes on Jiricek.

I wouldnt even be surprised if they trade up for him
22 juin 2022 à 10 h 35
Evans truther
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,434
In his D-2 year while Wright was putting over a point per game in the OHL, Nugent was getting the same numbers but in the BCHL. Covid hits, OHL season's cancelled but Wright still put out a 3 point per game performance at the U18 and then this damned 2021-22 season comes around and he gets 1.5 ppg with rookie wingers. Put him with Debrincat and Strome like McDavid had and I'm sure there isn't any debate around the first overall pick.

Why is the 3PPG U18 isn't talked about as much as Slaf's U20 1.5PPG ones?
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 12 h 38
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Marchy6363
No hate but if any team except the habs were picking first would you still dislike Wright???

Yeah. IDK what it is about him I just dont love his game. Didnt like him prior to the Habs winning the lottery either, but hey theres a reason Im not an NHL GM
Marchy6363 a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 12 h 41
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: ColonelX
In his D-2 year while Wright was putting over a point per game in the OHL, Nugent was getting the same numbers but in the BCHL. Covid hits, OHL season's cancelled but Wright still put out a 3 point per game performance at the U18 and then this damned 2021-22 season comes around and he gets 1.5 ppg with rookie wingers. Put him with Debrincat and Strome like McDavid had and I'm sure there isn't any debate around the first overall pick.

Why is the 3PPG U18 isn't talked about as much as Slaf's U20 1.5PPG ones?

Wright is going to be very good if the Habs take him. He's definitely got a high floor, but I think some other players have a higher ceiling. Im sure he'll be sweet on the Habs but I just dont love him that much. Chances are we come back to this in a years time and I look like a moron, but Ive gotta stick to my gut tears of joy
ColonelX a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 12 h 42
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: GeneralLandro
Yiricek is an instant pick/no brained

Quoting: Salzy
There isnt a chance in the world ANA passes on Jiricek.

I wouldnt even be surprised if they trade up for him

Honestly yeah, Jiricek should be at 10. In the actual draft I'd be baffled if he falls out of the top 6 at the least. But there always seems to be a great defenseman that falls for whatever stupid reason
Salzy a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 12 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Dakraa
I don't agree with the Wright bit. But outside of that, pretty good explanations.

Chances are Wright is going to be a good pick and I look like an idiot. IDK I just dont really love the guy. Maybe im trying too hard to be a contrarian or something tears of joy
23 juin 2022 à 12 h 47
Quoting: Nathaniel
Honestly yeah, Jiricek should be at 10. In the actual draft I'd be baffled if he falls out of the top 6 at the least. But there always seems to be a great defenseman that falls for whatever stupid reason

Jiricek is exactly what the Ducks need in their org, a top 4 of Zellweger-Jiricek, Vaak-Drysdale could be great for the future (Vaak could be upgraded to be fair)

Im praying that Pat Verbeek finds a way to get him in Orange County
23 juin 2022 à 12 h 53
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Jiricek is exactly what the Ducks need in their org, a top 4 of Zellweger-Jiricek, Vaak-Drysdale could be great for the future (Vaak could be upgraded to be fair)

Im praying that Pat Verbeek finds a way to get him in Orange County

I think Jiricek would be great in Anaheim, easily my biggest miss here
Salzy a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 12 h 55
Chances are Wright is going to be a good pick and I look like an idiot. IDK I just dont really love the guy. Maybe im trying too hard to be a contrarian or something tears of joy

I think the biggest thing with Wright is prospect fatigue, this has been his draft for years now and people are just trying to change it up because it seems stale and he hasnt taken a step forward into being a generational prospect like it was once believed he could, he's still the best player by a good amount to me
23 juin 2022 à 12 h 57
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
I think the biggest thing with Wright is prospect fatigue, this has been his draft for years now and people are just trying to change it up because it seems stale and he hasnt taken a step forward into being a generational prospect like it was once believed he could, he's still the best player by a good amount to me

I think another factor is that this years draft is widely considered to be on the weaker end while next years draft is absolutely LOADED. Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, Benson, Sale, Yager, Wood, etc. As much as Im not a fan of Wright, I still think he goes first and will be great
Salzy a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 13 h 0
I think another factor is that this years draft is widely considered to be on the weaker end while next years draft is absolutely LOADED. Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, Benson, Sale, Yager, Wood, etc. As much as Im not a fan of Wright, I still think he goes first and will be great

Wright seems to me like a Nugent-Hopkins type player, good not great, will be solid for whoever he takes but isnt a true #1C. Next year having multiple players that would go 1OA this year definetley doesnt help things, and the fall off of guys like Savoie and Lambert in this class didnt help things either

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage