SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs Free Agency Targets

11 juin 2022 à 11 h 4
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,015
Obviously the Leafs are in a tight cap situation, so I think it's reasonable to think Dubas will try more or less the same strategy as last year. Non-qualified RFAs / bought out players are probably at the top of the list, so with that in mind here are some guys I think the Leafs could / should sign:

- Andreas Athanasiou: Not sure LAK is going to resign him. Has dealt with injury and LA has a TON of young talent. At only 27, Athanasiou would be a great target that could probably be signed within the ~3 million range. Plays a similar game to Mikheyev but with MUCH more offensive upside. Career high 30 goal season in 2018/19, but is usually good for ~15. Dealt with injuries this season so his value is on the down low. From London too, so he's pretty much a local kid. Very fast and would look great in the blue and white.

- Miles Wood: Assuming he doesn't get a QO, Wood could be this years Bunting. Obviously he's a little more well known so he won't be as cheap as Bunting was, however he can still be signed for relatively cheap due to his injuries that kept him out all season. He would be an absolutely perfect addition. Woods brings to the Leafs what we thought Ritchie would, but Wood isn't flat footed and can actually skate pretty quickly. He would be a super solid addition but likely draws a ton of interest.

- Sam Gagner: Vet 4C that would be a nice mentor on a 4th line where we probably see some young guns play wing. Gagner is only 32 so he's still got some gas in the tank, and is friends woth Tavares. Another local dude with connections to the Leafs. I think he would be great.

- Nick Paul: I would be over the moon if we got Nick Paul. He'll probably wind up getting around 3.5 mil, so he's liekly priced himself out of Tampa. Local kid with a massive frame, fantastic on the PK, and just a straight up well rounded player. Him on the third line with Kampf and Kase would be killer, or he can be played in the top 6. He is such a horse and would be PERFECT on the Leafs.

- Braeden Holtby: Great dude who is coming off of an actually decent season. Can probably be signed for ~2.5 and will likely move on from Dallas with Oettinger being their starter. He could be an ideal target to run a tandem with assuming we trade for another goalie.

- Kevin Lankinen: Promising young(ish) goalie who had a pretty meh season, however he was in Chicago where even MAF had a bad year. Probably a cheaper signing.

- Felix Sandstrom: Group 6 UFA goaltender who looked pretty decent through 5 NHL games with the Flyers who were just horrendous this year. .910 SV% through 5 NHL games, .902 SV% through 44 AHL games. Probably not an NHL signing, but he could be one day.
11 juin 2022 à 12 h 22
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: LeafsDude
Obviously the Leafs are in a tight cap situation, so I think it's reasonable to think Dubas will try more or less the same strategy as last year. Non-qualified RFAs / bought out players are probably at the top of the list, so with that in mind here are some guys I think the Leafs could / should sign:

- Andreas Athanasiou: Not sure LAK is going to resign him. Has dealt with injury and LA has a TON of young talent. At only 27, Athanasiou would be a great target that could probably be signed within the ~3 million range. Plays a similar game to Mikheyev but with MUCH more offensive upside. Career high 30 goal season in 2018/19, but is usually good for ~15. Dealt with injuries this season so his value is on the down low. From London too, so he's pretty much a local kid. Very fast and would look great in the blue and white.

- Miles Wood: Assuming he doesn't get a QO, Wood could be this years Bunting. Obviously he's a little more well known so he won't be as cheap as Bunting was, however he can still be signed for relatively cheap due to his injuries that kept him out all season. He would be an absolutely perfect addition. Woods brings to the Leafs what we thought Ritchie would, but Wood isn't flat footed and can actually skate pretty quickly. He would be a super solid addition but likely draws a ton of interest.

- Sam Gagner: Vet 4C that would be a nice mentor on a 4th line where we probably see some young guns play wing. Gagner is only 32 so he's still got some gas in the tank, and is friends woth Tavares. Another local dude with connections to the Leafs. I think he would be great.

- Nick Paul: I would be over the moon if we got Nick Paul. He'll probably wind up getting around 3.5 mil, so he's liekly priced himself out of Tampa. Local kid with a massive frame, fantastic on the PK, and just a straight up well rounded player. Him on the third line with Kampf and Kase would be killer, or he can be played in the top 6. He is such a horse and would be PERFECT on the Leafs.

- Braeden Holtby: Great dude who is coming off of an actually decent season. Can probably be signed for ~2.5 and will likely move on from Dallas with Oettinger being their starter. He could be an ideal target to run a tandem with assuming we trade for another goalie.

- Kevin Lankinen: Promising young(ish) goalie who had a pretty meh season, however he was in Chicago where even MAF had a bad year. Probably a cheaper signing.

- Felix Sandstrom: Group 6 UFA goaltender who looked pretty decent through 5 NHL games with the Flyers who were just horrendous this year. .910 SV% through 5 NHL games, .902 SV% through 44 AHL games. Probably not an NHL signing, but he could be one day.

What it could look like:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3323666
12 juin 2022 à 0 h 20
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,881
My FA targets as of now

1. Lazar (should be able to be got for 1.05mill x 3 years)

2. Ho-Sang (I think he technically counts as a free agent 925k x 2 years to me he is Bunting 2.0)

3. Cody Eakin (1mill x 2 years) --> Imagine 4 centers with the capability of winning faceoffs more than 50% of the time. Also is Kampf insurance should he take a penalty or is hurt)

4. One of Holtby, MAF, Husso (3-4.5mill)

Now should these players get Bought-Out/Non-Qualified would look at the following and how much they should sign for

1. Monahan (2mill x 1 year basically what Wennberg did)

2. White (1.5mill x 2 years)

3. Wood (1.85mill x 2 years)

4. Murray (1.5mill x 2 years)

Havent posted it yet but so far I have come up with the following team

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Ho-Sang
Nylander-Kampf-Kase
Engvall-Eakin-Lazar

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liligren
Giordano-Sandin

MAF (if he decides to come 3mill x 1 year)
Murray (gets bought out so is making 2.5mill from Ottawa + 1.5mill from Toronto so hes making 4mill all things considered which is why we can probs get him under 2mill)

Extras: Simmonds, Anderson, Dahlstrom

Wont discuss trades as to me I think its just gonna be money out go get UFA's

But who knows maybe Dubas trades for Gibson or something
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
12 juin 2022 à 13 h 29
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,752
Quoting: aadoyle
My FA targets as of now

2. Ho-Sang (I think he technically counts as a free agent 925k x 2 years to me he is Bunting 2.0)

3. Cody Eakin (1mill x 2 years) --> Imagine 4 centers with the capability of winning faceoffs more than 50% of the time. Also is Kampf insurance should he take a penalty or is hurt)

Now should these players get Bought-Out/Non-Qualified would look at the following and how much they should sign for

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Kampf-Kase
Engvall-Eakin-Lazar

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liligren
Giordano-Sandin

Murray (gets bought out so is making 2.5mill from Ottawa + 1.5mill from Toronto so hes making 4mill all things considered which is why we can probs get him under 2mill)

I like some ideas you have, others I'm worried about.

One big one, Tavares can still take FOs but has to shift to wing like Stamkos. So we need someone with speed to play 2C when not taking FOs.

I love an idea of trading Sandin for Lundell.

Lazar is interesting idea, Ho-Sang I'm interested but to insert as 2RW is a reach.

Fleury has to be going to the Penguins.
Holtby, cant do it... just cant stay healthy enough to warrant a chance.
Husso is on everyone's list, including mine.
He will be highly sought after.
How do you feel about deal centered around Mzraek for Murray with retention?

Muzzin has to go, I know you said you dont know about trades... I just dont know how to bring back.

For me that means we will need minimum 2 x top4 D man, tough decisions ahead.
13 juin 2022 à 13 h 50
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,173
My FA targets as of now

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Kampf-Kase
Engvall-Eakin-Lazar

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liligren
Giordano-Sandin

I think it'll happen.

The leafs are hesitant to resign Campbell. But why would they be? They need a starting goaltender. Dubas knows this (or at least he should, if he doesn't know this he should be packing his bags) and is going to have to replace him with someone as good or better. And now, with their being reports that Gibson will waive his NTC if Anaheim asks him to, he just screams Toronto to me.

But I'm just guessing more than anything.
13 juin 2022 à 13 h 58
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
I think it'll happen.

The leafs are hesitant to resign Campbell. But why would they be? They need a starting goaltender. Dubas knows this (or at least he should, if he doesn't know this he should be packing his bags) and is going to have to replace him with someone as good or better. And now, with their being reports that Gibson will waive his NTC if Anaheim asks him to, he just screams Toronto to me.

He is injury prone and wants 5 years which seems to be the main issue

Dubas has offered him apparently 5mill x 3 years but his agent wants more term.

Plus this was really Campbell's first full season as a starter and while he proved himself there were many bumps in the road that caused many headaches for us. The concern is what if it happens again

I got a feeling Dubas is both talking with Jack's agent and exploring all options via FA or trade.

If Gibson is available, Dubas will probs work out a deal before FA and if he can get a trade then Campbell is gone. If not got a feeling Campbell gets his contract unless that is MAF is willing to come
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 juin 2022 à 14 h 0
Go leafs go
He is injury prone and wants 5 years which seems to be the main issue

Dubas has offered him apparently 5mill x 3 years but his agent wants more term.

Plus this was really Campbell's first full season as a starter and while he proved himself there were many bumps in the road that caused many headaches for us. The concern is what if it happens again

I got a feeling Dubas is both talking with Jack's agent and exploring all options via FA or trade.

If Gibson is available, Dubas will probs work out a deal before FA and if he can get a trade then Campbell is gone. If not got a feeling Campbell gets his contract unless that is MAF is willing to come

Oh, ok, I thought his last offer was 3 mil. That makes more sense why they are hestinant then.
13 juin 2022 à 14 h 3
Hakuna Matata
Oh, ok, I thought his last offer was 3 mil. That makes more sense why they are hestinant then.

It was reported a week ago

The first offer before the season started was 2.75mill x 3 years

Then 2 weeks ago Dubas offered him a petersen contract but his agent highlighted he wants more term something Toronto is hesitant on due to Campbell's age and injury issues
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 juin 2022 à 14 h 7
Go leafs go
It was reported a week ago

The first offer before the season started was 2.75mill x 3 years

Then 2 weeks ago Dubas offered him a petersen contract but his agent highlighted he wants more term something Toronto is hesitant on due to Campbell's age and injury issues

Interesting. If Dubas can't get Gibson I do think he resigns Campbell.
28 juin 2022 à 21 h 9
Hakuna Matata
With the Liligren extension and factoring the following extensions

Sandin 1.4 mill x 2 years
Engvall 1.75 mill x 2 years
Kase 2 mill x 3 years
Ho-Sang 875k x 1 year

And factoring in Kerfoot, Holl and Mrazek going Toronto can now not only look for a 5mill goalie but now has enough for a 3-4mill LW or C.

So with that I think we can shift the focus from what I mentioned above as now arguably we can address a problem on the 2nd line LW position

As factoring in certain factors these are the holes to fill

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
X - Tavares - Ho-Sang
Nylander-X-Kase
Engvall-Kampf-Anderson

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liligren
Giordano-Sandin

X
Kallgren

So who to bring in to play with JT at the LW well there are some options and based on Friedman's comments these 3 guys are possibilities

1. Crouse via Trade
2. Marchment via FA
3. Paul via FA

As for who plays the 3c spot it honestly can just be a filler as Nylander will be the guy taking faceoffs. Some options to consider

1. Tierney
2. Rask (never worth his old deal but 1.2mill x 2 years could be worth it)
3. Steel via Trade
28 juin 2022 à 21 h 37
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,473
Nick Paul will get grossly overpaid this offseason I just feel it
28 juin 2022 à 22 h 32
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk
Nick Paul will get grossly overpaid this offseason I just feel it

Depends

I feel if a team views him as their 2c for instance then 4-5mill could happen

If hes slated to be the teams third line LW then maybe 3.25-4mill

As the wing market is full of some really good talent for all positions

But the C market despite a few names is kind of weak

Now as for where he goes I feel its between Tampa and Toronto rn but a team like Carolina or Pittsburgh could swoop in for him
28 juin 2022 à 22 h 38
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
I want to add Kubalik and Strome to my list. Strome really turned his season around so I doubt he doesn't get qualified, but Suter didnt get qualified last year so who knows. I think if they want to shift Tavares to the wing then maybe Dylan is a guy to look at. Kubalik would be sweet our third line and would really solidify it as a checking (or rather czeching) line.
30 juin 2022 à 1 h 53
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,619
With the Liligren extension and factoring the following extensions

Sandin 1.4 mill x 2 years
Engvall 1.75 mill x 2 years
Kase 2 mill x 3 years
Ho-Sang 875k x 1 year

And factoring in Kerfoot, Holl and Mrazek going Toronto can now not only look for a 5mill goalie but now has enough for a 3-4mill LW or C.

So with that I think we can shift the focus from what I mentioned above as now arguably we can address a problem on the 2nd line LW position

As factoring in certain factors these are the holes to fill

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
X - Tavares - Ho-Sang
Nylander-X-Kase
Engvall-Kampf-Anderson

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liligren
Giordano-Sandin

X
Kallgren

So who to bring in to play with JT at the LW well there are some options and based on Friedman's comments these 3 guys are possibilities

1. Crouse via Trade
2. Marchment via FA
3. Paul via FA

As for who plays the 3c spot it honestly can just be a filler as Nylander will be the guy taking faceoffs. Some options to consider

1. Tierney
2. Rask (never worth his old deal but 1.2mill x 2 years could be worth it)
3. Steel via Trade

Are you really okay with Kallegren as the backup? I'm not asking because I thought he was terrible. I actually thought Kallegren did well for the amount of experience he has.

Personally, I think he would benefit from more time in the AHL and only be an injury call-up.

I like the idea of Eric Comrie. What do you think of that?
30 juin 2022 à 2 h 7
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 30 juin 2022 à 2 h 21
Quoting: oneX
Are you really okay with Kallegren as the backup? I'm not asking because I thought he was terrible. I actually thought Kallegren did well for the amount of experience he has.

Personally, I think he would benefit from more time in the AHL and only be an injury call-up.

I like the idea of Eric Comrie. What do you think of that?

Kallgren was fine and honestly he brought something we desperatly needed

Stability

Will just let this headline sum it up

And its not wrong when he got support and when he was in the zone he was really good. But like any goalie if his team didnt come to play well he was doomed

Like Comrie played 19 games and yes looked good but whats the guarantee he does it again. Better to stick with what we know works vs the unknown. As Kallgren could easily do that next year
oneX a aimé ceci.
30 juin 2022 à 14 h 13
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,619
Kallgren was fine and honestly he brought something we desperatly needed

Stability

Will just let this headline sum it up

And its not wrong when he got support and when he was in the zone he was really good. But like any goalie if his team didnt come to play well he was doomed

Like Comrie played 19 games and yes looked good but whats the guarantee he does it again. Better to stick with what we know works vs the unknown. As Kallgren could easily do that next year

I'm not against Kallegren being the backup but I think by having in the role early will definitely hurt his chances at becoming more than a backup. That is my only concern for this young player.
30 juin 2022 à 21 h 6
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 548
I think it'll happen.

What could the Leafs trade for him? Anaheim is going to want some young talent. And probably Kallgren since they'll be down a goalie. It would be great if they'd take Mrazek instead – they have the cap space – but then the Leafs would have to sweeten the deal some other way.

Gibson is signed for 5 more years at $6.4M per. That scares me a little. That’s more than Hellebuyck, Shesterkin, Markstrom, Binnington, Lehner, Saros and Demko. In fact, I think he’s 4th in the league in AAV behind only Bobrovsky, Price and Vasilevskiy. Is he that good? I must admit I haven’t seen him play much. The Ducks retaining salary probably isn't an option with that much term left.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 juin 2022 à 23 h 34
Go leafs go
Quoting: jr400
What could the Leafs trade for him? Anaheim is going to want some young talent. And probably Kallgren since they'll be down a goalie. It would be great if they'd take Mrazek instead – they have the cap space – but then the Leafs would have to sweeten the deal some other way.

Gibson is signed for 5 more years at $6.4M per. That scares me a little. That’s more than Hellebuyck, Shesterkin, Markstrom, Binnington, Lehner, Saros and Demko. In fact, I think he’s 4th in the league in AAV behind only Bobrovsky, Price and Vasilevskiy. Is he that good? I must admit I haven’t seen him play much. The Ducks retaining salary probably isn't an option with that much term left.

After giving it more thought it has some holes in it. I’m less sure about them acquiring him.

But as for a potential mock trade, I’d say something like Sandin, 25th overall, and Kerfoot (to balance the salary. Could be Mrazek and another thing like Robertson or a 2023 first) and maybe another pick or prospect.
1 juill. 2022 à 15 h 55
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,473
Depends

I feel if a team views him as their 2c for instance then 4-5mill could happen

If hes slated to be the teams third line LW then maybe 3.25-4mill

As the wing market is full of some really good talent for all positions

But the C market despite a few names is kind of weak

Now as for where he goes I feel its between Tampa and Toronto rn but a team like Carolina or Pittsburgh could swoop in for him

The result: 7 year deal with Tampa as he continues to solidify he’s the true owner of the maple leafs
11 juill. 2022 à 17 h 27
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 11 juill. 2022 à 18 h 0
With the non qualified list

Tiers for Toronto to target

A Tier

SAMSONOV (25 Year old future starter) You want a potential Jack 2.0 this is your guy
Pitlick (Rem)
Strome (Dylan)
Heinen

B Tier

Kubalik
Dahlen
Kase (return)
Kubel
Howden
Milano
Steel

C Tier

Gaudette
Highmore
Svechnikov
11 juill. 2022 à 17 h 31
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
With the non qualified list

Tiers for Toronto to target

A Tier

SAMSONOV (25 Year old future starter) You want a potential Jack 2.0 this is your guy
Pitlick (Rem)
Strome (Dylan)
Heinen

B Tier

Kubalik
Dahlen
Kase (return)
Kubel
Howden
Milano

C Tier

Gaudette
Highmore
Svechnikov

Howden didn't get a QO?? He would be a fantastic pickup. Samsonov, Stenlund, Howden, and Heinen are the guys I want most
11 juill. 2022 à 17 h 58
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Nathaniel
Howden didn't get a QO?? He would be a fantastic pickup. Samsonov, Stenlund, Howden, and Heinen are the guys I want most

Stenlund sucks and aint worth it

For me Samsonov, Heinen, Steel, Strome, Pitlick and Howden
11 juill. 2022 à 17 h 59
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Stenlund sucks and aint worth it

For me Samsonov, Heinen, Steel, Strome, Pitlick and Howden

Johnathan Dahlen also didn't get a QO which is... interesting