SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Playoffs Discussion Thread #5-The East and the West

23 juin 2022 à 20 h 6
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,060
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
So you’re telling me Cogs was credited heavily for a goal, which is one of the weakest types of goals ever (tip ins and rebounds)?

tips and rebounds from right near the crease have high xG values associated with them. Rebounds in general increase xG values since it usually means the goalie is not ready for it and distance from the net is one of the main factors of xGs
DirtyDangle a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 20 h 8
Jinx god
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 13,730
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
tips and rebounds from right near the crease have high xG values associated with them

Oh lord, now I’ll never take that stat seriously. Those types of goals are scored usually by benders who can’t score in any other way.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 20 h 8
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
So you’re telling me Cogs was credited heavily for a goal, which is one of the weakest types of goals ever (tip ins and rebounds)?

How is that weak? Tip ins and rebounds are strong scoring chances. Those are generally the only ways you can beat an NHL goalie when he's on, because if he can see it and he's in position and the shot is clean, he's saving it the vast majority of the time. You literally have Joe Pavelski on your team lol, that's how he's scored most of his goals for the last decade.
DirtyDangle et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 20 h 9
Jinx god
Modifié 23 juin 2022 à 20 h 22
Quoting: Alfie11
How is that weak? Tip ins and rebounds are strong scoring chances. Those are generally the only ways you can beat an NHL goalie when he's on, because if he can see it and he's in position and the shot is clean, he's saving it the vast majority of the time. You literally have Joe Pavelski on your team lol, that's how he's scored most of his goals for the last decade.

Ok tip ins you got me, those require a lot of skill, but rebounds are 0% skill base, more or less how fast you hit the puck when the goalie doesn’t expect it.

And that means when a player scores that way, it’s a skilled goal. Not discrediting dirty goals (a goal is a goal), but skilled goals should be more appreciated than dirty goals.
zk97 a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 20 h 10
Oh lord, now I’ll never take that stat seriously. Those types of goals are scored usually by benders who can’t score in any other way.

Why? You are much more likely to score from a rebound in the crease than with a wrist shot from 25 feet out when the goalie is ready for it
DirtyDangle a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 20 h 15
Jinx god
Why? You are much more likely to score from a rebound in the crease than with a wrist shot from 25 feet out when the goalie is ready for it

Exactly, it puts much more meaning into the goal when it’s unlikelier.

I understand how the stat works, the higher the chance the goal goes in, the higher the xG% is. I find a skilled goal more impressive than a rebound goal.

Either which way, it’s a goal, I just don’t think we should praise low end goals who could be scored by basically anyone.
zk97 a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 20 h 21
Exactly, it puts much more meaning into the goal when it’s unlikelier.

I understand how the stat works, the higher the chance the goal goes in, the higher the xG% is. I find a skilled goal more impressive than a rebound goal.

Either which way, it’s a goal, I just don’t think we should praise low end goals who could be scored by basically anyone.

I dont agree with that. Id rather have 2 garbage goals and win the game than have 1 pretty goal and lose. I also think getting rebounds are a skill on its own, if you consistently get to the front of the net and win battles to get a shot off then thats a very valuable trait for a player to have and should be reflected in their xG stats. Having a 'expected nice goals' stat is kinda useless if its not the most efficient way to score
DirtyDangle a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 20 h 27
Jinx god
I dont agree with that. Id rather have 2 garbage goals and win the game than have 1 pretty goal and lose. I also think getting rebounds are a skill on its own, if you consistently get to the front of the net and win battles to get a shot off then thats a very valuable trait for a player to have and should be reflected in their xG stats. Having a 'expected nice goals' stat is kinda useless if its not the most efficient way to score

Winning is the number 1 most important thing in hockey, no sh*t you’d rather 2 garbage goals over 1 good goal and a lost. But I’d rather have a 25 goal scorer, who scores skilled goals over a 30 goal scorer who only scores garbage goals. Because chances are that 25 goal scorer contributes more to the outcome of the game than the other guy.

I wouldn’t consider “being good at rebounds” as the first thing to think at a player except if he’s in the middle/bottom 6.
23 juin 2022 à 20 h 33
Ok tip ins you got me, but rebounds are 0% skill base, more or less how fast you hit the puck when the goalie doesn’t expect it.

And that means when a player scores that way, it’s a skilled goal. Not discrediting dirty goals (a goal is a goal), but skilled goals should be more appreciated than dirty goals.

In terms of contract value, sure. In terms of what is more effective at actually putting a goal on the board in an NHL game, a rebound is generally better. Like, Matthews makes 12 million dollars because he can beat goalies with a wrist shot that they see coming like 1 out of 6 times. Not many people can do that, because most NHL goalies are elite and will stop those kinda shots 95%+ of the time easily. So in terms of expected goals, a rebound from a foot away, with the goalie out of position, is more likely to go in, and that's why defensemen get paid to get the puck out of there and/or stop guys from getting to the front of the net for access to these rebounds (like there aren't too many quality rebound chances per game tbh, especially in the playoffs, and you could probably say they have a higher success chance, like maybe 1 in 3 to just throw a number out there). Rebounds, deflections, and one-timers (from a cross-ice pass) are the most dangerous scoring opportunities there are.
UpsideDownQue et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 20 h 47
Winning is the number 1 most important thing in hockey, no sh*t you’d rather 2 garbage goals over 1 good goal and a lost. But I’d rather have a 25 goal scorer, who scores skilled goals over a 30 goal scorer who only scores garbage goals. Because chances are that 25 goal scorer contributes more to the outcome of the game than the other guy.

I wouldn’t consider “being good at rebounds” as the first thing to think at a player except if he’s in the middle/bottom 6.

A goal is a goal. If winning is the most important thing then why would you discredit some of them?
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 20 h 50

On an individual level maybe, since the 25 goal scorer will also generate rebounds for his teammates when the goalie makes saves off of his shots. But at a team level, if the team can generate more xG's with rebounds than they can with fancy highlight reel goals then if they want to win they should go for rebounds
23 juin 2022 à 20 h 54
Jinx god
Modifié 23 juin 2022 à 21 h 11
A goal is a goal. If winning is the most important thing then why would you discredit some of them?

On an individual level maybe, since the 25 goal scorer will also generate rebounds for his teammates when the goalie makes saves off of his shots. But at a team level, if the team can generate more xG's with rebounds than they can with fancy highlight reel goals then if they want to win they should go for rebounds

I’m talking on an individual level, not team. Team wise obviously the rebounds are most important, cuz that’s how you score the majority of the time. My emphasis is that I’d rather have a Connor McDavid/Mat Barzal over a Chris Kreider/Joe Pavelski type of player because they bring a lot more to the game. Sorry if I didn’t put my message clear enough.
23 juin 2022 à 21 h 7
Jinx god
Modifié 23 juin 2022 à 21 h 15
In terms of contract value, sure. In terms of what is more effective at actually putting a goal on the board in an NHL game, a rebound is generally better. Like, Matthews makes 12 million dollars because he can beat goalies with a wrist shot that they see coming like 1 out of 6 times. Not many people can do that, because most NHL goalies are elite and will stop those kinda shots 95%+ of the time easily. So in terms of expected goals, a rebound from a foot away, with the goalie out of position, is more likely to go in, and that's why defensemen get paid to get the puck out of there and/or stop guys from getting to the front of the net for access to these rebounds (like there aren't too many quality rebound chances per game tbh, especially in the playoffs, and you could probably say they have a higher success chance, like maybe 1 in 3 to just throw a number out there). Rebounds, deflections, and one-timers (from a cross-ice pass) are the most dangerous scoring opportunities there are.

Ok so we agree on a couple of things.

1. Rebounds, deflections, and one-timers (from a cross-ice pass) are the most dangerous scoring opportunities there are. When I went to conditioning camp, there were a lot of higher end player (QMJHL), and pretty much the only goals allowed were those.

2. A rebound is the most effective way to score. That’s why the higher the level you are, the more the coaches shove it in your face (because the goalies get better and better by time). When you play Midget that’s basically the only goals you score (with some exceptions).

I’m not discrediting a rebound goal, I’m just saying that a player who constantly gets goals by tip ins or rebonds like a Kreider or a Pavelski are less important to a team than someone like McDavid, Mackinnon, Barzal, who score a lot of goals on the rush. Sorry if I didn’t put it clear enough.
Alfie11 a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 21 h 17
Ok so we agree on a couple of things.

1. Rebounds, deflections, and one-timers (from a cross-ice pass) are the most dangerous scoring opportunities there are. When I went to conditioning camp, there were a lot of higher end player (QMJHL), and pretty much the only goals allowed were those.

2. A rebound is the most effective way to score. That’s why the higher the level you are, the more the coaches shove it in your face (because the goalies get better and better by time). When you play Midget that’s basically the only goals you score (with some exceptions).

I’m not discrediting a rebound goal, I’m just saying that a player who constantly gets goals by tip ins like a Kreider or a Pavelski are less important to a team than someone like McDavid, Mackinnon, Barzal, who score a lot of goals on the rush.

I mean obviously lol, that’s why McDavid and MacKinnon and Matthews are some of the best players in the world, and get paid the most money. They are among the most effective at scoring off of clean shots due to their high skill. So yeah, obviously it’s great to have guys like that on your team wherever possible. However the odds of them scoring that way are still lower than one of the 3 types of other shots I mentioned (even if it’s a grinder taking the shot), which is why those types of shots count for a higher iXG number for the statistic. And that is also why those types of shots are more rare in a game and more vigorously defended against by the opposing team.
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 21 h 18
I’m talking on an individual level, not team. Team wise obviously the rebounds are most important. My emphasis is that I’d rather have a Connor McDavid/Mat Barzal over a Chris Kreider/Joe Pavelski type of player.

The problem is that an xG model is used at both a team level and individual level. ixG alone is a flawed stat since players who generate the original shot attempt which leads to a rebound for their teammates aren't individually credited for the higher xG value associated with the rebound they set up. But you can't just change the xG model to discredit rebounds and tips since that would also negatively impact the whole lines xGF%, including the guy who made the original shot attempt.

I think you need a combination of both types of players. Having a line full of skill guys who can find a shot lane but can't win a net front battle isn't as effective as a line that has both a skill guy to generate space and get a shot off and a guy in front who can get a rebound. They complement each other
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 21 h 22
Jinx god
I mean obviously lol, that’s why McDavid and MacKinnon and Matthews are some of the best players in the world, and get paid the most money. They are among the most effective at scoring off of clean shots due to their high skill. So yeah, obviously it’s great to have guys like that on your team wherever possible. However the odds of them scoring that way are still lower than one of the 3 types of other shots I mentioned (even if it’s a grinder taking the shot), which is why those types of shots count for a higher iXG number for the statistic. And that is also why those types of shots are more rare in a game and more vigorously defended against by the opposing team.

Yeah I agree with you, I just don’t like when we give more credit to the guy who gets the sh*t goals over the guy who gets the more skilled goals.

McDavid and Mackinnon weren’t the best examples considering they’re some of the best players in the sport lol, but even if we’re using a Roope Hintz-Joe Pavelski comparison, I’d rather have Hintz 9/10 times because he contributes more to the game, don’t count these playoffs cuz Hintz disappeared and Pavs shined, but if they did have the same production you’d really rather Hintz. Robo-Hintz would be another debate considering Robo scores half his goals one way, the other half the other way, but you could make a point for either.
23 juin 2022 à 21 h 27
Jinx god
Modifié 23 juin 2022 à 21 h 33
The problem is that an xG model is used at both a team level and individual level. ixG alone is a flawed stat since players who generate the original shot attempt which leads to a rebound for their teammates aren't individually credited for the higher xG value associated with the rebound they set up. But you can't just change the xG model to discredit rebounds and tips since that would also negatively impact the whole lines xGF%, including the guy who made the original shot attempt.

I think you need a combination of both types of players. Having a line full of skill guys who can find a shot lane but can't win a net front battle isn't as effective as a line that has both a skill guy to generate space and get a shot off and a guy in front who can get a rebound. They complement each other

Yeah, we have pretty much the same analogy, I just worded it sh*tly. Best example I can think of is the Robo-Roope-Pavs line. Pavs is the tip in guy, Roope is the skill guy (who rushes the puck) and Robo is a bit of both. They compliment each other so well, but at the end of the day I’d take Hintz and/or Robertson over Pavs.

The guy generating the rebound is 100% more important than the guy taking it. And I’d rather look into xGF% than xG% or ixG%, it gives more context to the scenario.
24 juin 2022 à 12 h 37
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,091
tears of joy

A_Habs_fan, AndrewLadd, zk97 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
24 juin 2022 à 12 h 40
KFTW
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 23,819
Hear me out:

$1000 on Tampa in 7
Rangsey a aimé ceci.
24 juin 2022 à 12 h 54
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Quoting: Db1899
tears of joy

Good thing the altitude in game 5 is gonna be lower
A_Habs_fan, Db1899, DirtyDangle and 3 others a aimé ceci.
24 juin 2022 à 14 h 8
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,887
Quoting: csick
Hear me out:

$1000 on Tampa in 7

You gotta 3elieve! :-D
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, csick, zk97 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
24 juin 2022 à 14 h 30
Démarrer sujet
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
Quoting: Db1899

Yep, agreed. It's a judgment call by the refs-if a player's just getting in the benches and is nowhere near the play, don't call it. Lightning didn't get messed over. It was the right non-call.
Db1899 et Rangsey a aimé ceci.
24 juin 2022 à 19 h 54
retired
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,761
sounds like burakovsky and point are out.
24 juin 2022 à 20 h 6
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,649
Prediction for game 5:
TBL 5-1 COL
csick a aimé ceci.
24 juin 2022 à 20 h 12
retired
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,761
4-2 avs