SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Mid U18 Rankings with explanations

Mid U18 Rankings with explanations

Cuvée de repêchage: 2022
Créé par: Z0ra
Publié: 9 mai 2022 à 16 h 53
Description
This is my final draft rankings of the year. After the draft lottery, I will start making a mock draft.

Previous work on this site includes:

2022 Draft Tiers: https://www.capfriendly.com/mock-draft/206551

Potential reaches: https://www.capfriendly.com/mock-draft/207722

Potential fallers: https://www.capfriendly.com/mock-draft/207648

Player Comparables: https://www.capfriendly.com/mock-draft/209319
RONDE 1ÉQUIPEORIGINALJOUEURDéTAILS
1Logo de Canadiens de Montréal-Before during the first stages of the season, Wright was a lock for first overall. Now that isn’t the case. But I still have him at 1st because I don’t really have any good, logical reason to put him lower. Though I do see a few scenarios where he gets passed over first overall. The candidates to go first overall are Logan Cooley and Simon Nemec. But in Wright’s case, he still has potential to be a cornerstone, or in other words, a franchise player for the team that drafts him. You can basically build a team around this guy, he would the foundation piece for a rebuilder. The reason why he’s no longer a lock is the fact that he slowed down his production during the U20 tournament and never really put up the production that people expected out of him in the OHL. There are players drafted below him that put up better numbers than him. But none of the less, a talented player that could make his NHL debut year 1. Aside from the bad production, no flaws are present in his game. Wright is a complete playmaker. He can make flashy plays and passes in the offensive zone and is capable all-around in all three zones of the ice. His goal-scoring adds another dimension to his game and his four-way agility and mobility are exceptional. His really isn’t the flashiest player defensively, but he does make the smart play.
2Logo de Coyotes de l'Arizona-About a month ago, I had Nemec as the 2nd best player in the draft, mostly because I saw a bunch of scenarios where he could go first overall. He had more than Cooley who I now have at 2nd overall, given his performance at the U18 tournament. Obviously not as productive as other players, but still good enough to make him rise up the rankings. Almost put him at 1st overall, but once again as said in the Wright explanation, there wasn’t any logical reasoning to why I would have him at first. Like Wright, Cooley plays the game with little to no flaws. He may be playing better than Wright right now, but I feel like Wright also has slightly better upside than Cooley. I feel like Cooley can still be a reliable first-liner within a few years, I see a lot of Brayden Point qualities in his game. Small, plays bigger than his size, and can do everything with the puck. While Wright is a playmaker, Cooley is a two-way forward who plays with a high compete level. Cooley first put his name on the radar during the U20 tournament and started to produce at a super productive rate after that, giving him a case to be drafted first overall. On my tier list I have Cooley in the same tier as Wright, I also think that Cooley can a franchise-altering forward. His game is already very solid, but he will be going to the NCAA to make his game even better.
3Logo de Kraken de Seattle-Nemec is the last candidate to go first overall. At the moment he has the lowest chances out of the two above him to go first overall. Nemec is also playing better than Wright right now, but slightly worse than Cooley. I think Nemec’s ending to his season in the Slovak league was very strong, he put up 17 points in 19 total playoff games, including 7 pts in the final round which lasted six games. For a under 20 year old defenseman playing in a men’s league, that is hard to ignore. Nemec is yet another player that plays the game with little flaws. I would say the only flaw that Nemec has is the shot choice. He never really pinches in close quarters of the offensive zone often, most of the goals that are scored by him are near the blue line. His hockey IQ is a great asset to his play style and Nemec is also reliable in transition. He always makes the smart play defensive and is able to utilize his size effectively by blocking shots by the opposition, making him solid on the penalty kill. Nemec can easily the number one guy of a future young D-core. He currently has the potential to someday be a top 10 defenseman in the league, I see a lot of Miro Heiskanen qualities in his game.
4Logo de Flyers de Philadelphie-At this point in the draft, I can name a number of players who can go at this spot. Unlike what most people on this site have, I see Savoie as a top 5 pick in the draft. Apart from the small frame he has, he checks all the boxes to be at this spot. Savoie was dominant during the WHL season, finishing seventh best in points with 90 (35G, 55A). He is a well-disciplined offensive threat to others. Mostly known for his creative touch, he does have solid goal-scoring ability, adding another dimension to his game. Savoie is also very capable of winning 1 on 1 battles, he has a lot of Nikolaj Ehlers qualities in his game. Since he is small at 5’8’’, Savoie does shy away from being physical, but overall I see him as a solid first liner in the NHL. Whether he will be in the NHL right away is a question mark, it is dependent on the team that drafts him. I would give him a nine-game stint in the NHL year 1 and maybe send him back to juniors or the AHL to adjust to the smaller rinks.
5Logo de Devils du New Jersey-Here we have a player who just keeps getting better. At the beginning of the season, scouts and fans were concerned with the consistency Slafkovsky was playing at. But after the Olympics, where he was named MVP, Slafkovsky regained his form. He put his name on the radar after scoring 7 goals in 7 Olympic games. To do that against former NHL competition and other men is outstanding and very hard to ignore. With that you shouldn’t doubt team and he has established himself as a clear-cut top 5 pick in this draft. However, he would be higher being the best power forward in the draft, but the skating is what barely gets him in the top 5. Skating is essentially an important part of hockey, and Slafkovsky tends to be slow on his feet. But he is the pure definition of a power forward. Big, aggressive, and pulls off a hard shot. Slafkovsky’s is also highly capable of being impactful on the forecheck and he has above average playmaking. The ability for Slafkovsky to utilize his size effectively is also there. He may need a few years in the Liiga to improve the acceleration with his feet and produce at a more consistent rate, but after those weaknesses are addressed, I see Slafkovsky as an impactful first line winger.
6Logo de Blue Jackets de ColumbusLogo de Blackhawks de ChicagoContrary to many people, I have Nazar at the 6th spot. NHL Central Scouting has him ranked at 21st for North American skaters which is an absolute joke. Ideally Nazar is one of the craftiest players in this year’s draft, I see a lot of Travis Konecny qualities in his game. Small yet sturdy, creative, and solid hockey sense. One thing to note is that Nazar plays center in the USDP, but he will not do so in the NHL. He is way too small to be a center in the NHL, he should temporarily play at his secondary position on right wing. And I would say that the fact that he’s super small is the only flaw that I see in his game. Other than that, Nazar plays a multi-dimension game. He has solid playmaking and hockey sense, but his goal-scoring adds another dimension to his game. Nazar will need a few years to make the NHL, the size and strength will need to improve before he can make his debut, but he will be worth the wait.
7Logo de Sénateurs d'Ottawa-This is a player that I once had labelled as the second-best player in the draft behind Wright. Kemell had a hot start to the season but an injury kept him out for a few weeks to a month. After healing, Kemell never found the same groove he had in the beginning of the season, forcing him to fall down the rankings. But he still has a solid chance to be drafted in the top 5, given the fact that he’s the sniper in the draft by a big margin. Kemell plays with a high compete level against men, and like most players taken above him he plays a multi-dimensional game. He may be mostly known for his goal-scoring, but Kemell also possesses elite playmaking and creativity which make for a well-rounded offensive toolkit. He will need another year to work on the defensive aspects of the game but once he is NHL ready, Kemell will make an high impact in the NHL and probably score 40+ goals someday.
8Logo de Red Wings de Detroit-This is one of the biggest risers in the draft board. Lekkerimaki was fantastic during the U18 tournament, leading it in points with 15. It proved himself worthy to be a clear-cut top 10 selection. Lekkerimaki is a very flexible forward, he can play either center or wing. He regularly plays as a center in the SHL and I think he has decent enough size to stay as a center in the NHL. His offensive toolkit is elite but his defensive toolkit is the complete opposite. Lekkerimaki plays the puck with great, advanced vision and the skating is also above average. Its also tough to knock the puck off Lekkerimaki’s stick, he’s an menace with the puck. This is a player who is just getting on the top 10 radar and if the SHL season lasted longer and Lekkerimaki continued playing like the way he is, he would have been in contention to be in my top 5. In the near future, I see Lekkerimaki as a high-end top 6 center for the team that drafts him.
9Logo de Sabres de Buffalo-Some may say this is too high, and I get it. McGroarty had a slow start to the first few months of the season. But after the month of February, he picked it back up and started producing at a consistent rate. His U18 performance got him back into the top 10, for me he just makes it in at 9th. McGroarty is an offensive two-way forward with a now elite compete level. He is best at utilizing his size in an effective manner, he is always a threat in close quarters to the net. His two-way agility is above average, but his explosiveness is where its weak. McGroarty is one of the least explosive and fast skaters in this draft class, and because of this, he can be a liability on the backcheck. McGroarty also has a blazing shot that he can score off from anywhere in the offensive zone. This improving prospect will get more time to improve in the NCAA next season, and once his season finishes, could he make the NHL right away? It is a question mark, but he has a great chance to do so. I see a lot of Blake Coleman in his game, McGroarty could be a reliable top 6 forward in the future.
10Logo de Ducks d'Anaheim-This is a player who really didn’t go up or down on the draft board throughout the regular season. However, his performance during the U18’s made his stock rise big-time, for myself he just gets into the top 10. Especially with guys like Lambert and Jiricek sliding down. Howard is a guy who plays a multi-type game. He’s mostly a playmaker but he also possesses a lethal sniper’s ability. His ability to score goals was more evident in the U18’s than his playmaking, Howard scored 11 pts (6G, 5A). His smarts with the puck are way better than without the puck, Howard often has a tendency to position himself in questionable areas while playing defensive hockey. He also utilizes the physical aspects of the game ineffectively. But a solid four-way skater, playmaker, and sniper. Howard also has tremendous hockey sense and his awareness offensively is also very solid. Howard may need 1-2 years in the NCAA before he can make the jump to the NHL, once the positioning defensively gets better, Howard will be NHL-ready. I see him as a high-tier top 6 forward in the near future.
11Logo de Sharks de San Jose-Another intriguing prospect here, similar to Lekkerimaki. Mateychuk started off the season producing at a subpar rate, but really improved as the season progressed. Originally I had him in the high 20’s, but as of now I feel like Mateychuk and David Jiricek are interchangeable in terms of draft stock. Mateychuk is a very stay-at-home defenseman. He often goes for the smart play rather than the flashy one. Like most defenseman, he shies away from highlight-reel plays, so he really isn’t like Cale Makar or any high-tier NHL defenseman. Mateychuk can still be a reliable top 2 defenseman in the NHL, he pretty has everything a GM wants. Solid two-way ability, mobility, hockey IQ, and he’s always in the correct position while making plays with and without the puck. His decision making often is questionable at times, Mateychuk has a tendency to give forwards too much space because he gets too close to an opposing defender. He still is a lock to be in the top 4 of a defensive core, but the potential of becoming a top 2 defenseman is there.
12Logo de Blue Jackets de Columbus-Almost everything will hate on this ranking, and I absolutely get it. Jiricek is my favorite defensive prospect to watch and has the skill and ability to be a top 5 pick. However, the reason I have him this low is because an injury suffered during the U20 championship pretty much knocked him off for the second-half of the season. Because of this, scouts never got a decent look at his style, forcing him to fall down the rankings. Once again, whenever Jiricek is healthy, he plays like a top 5 pick. He plays with no major flaws, just a reliable two-way forward. He is effective in all three zones of the ice, but tends to take too many penalties during some games. He has excellent four-way agility and utilizes his 6’3’’ frame perfectly. Jiricek also has a boomer of a shot that he can nail from the point. I can’t emphasize this any further, but once again, a very bold option to put Jiricek this low. I absolutely will understand why most people would hate on this ranking, Jiricek has the skill and ability to be a top 5 pick. But its hard to put him there, I normally don’t like putting injury prone players in that range. Could be NHL ready next season, but more than likely will need another year in Czechia or a season in the AHL to bounce back. Jiricek is a lock to become a top 2 defenseman in the NHL within a few years.
13Logo de Islanders de New York-This is another prospect who has the skill and ability to be put in my top 10. But one big knock on him is his skating, which like said in the Slafkovsky explanation is a very important aspect in hockey. Like Slafkovsky, Geekie is another power forward and is slow on his feet. Geekie is mostly a straight-line player, he often shies away from carrying the puck between the hash marks of the ice. However, Geekie doesn’t shy away from being physical and he definitely utilizes his 6’4’’ frame super effectively. His shot is very powerful and he can score from mostly close quarters of the net. Even though he shies away from getting inside the hash marks, Geekie is able to use his body to get around opposing defenders and his net front presence is relatively superior. Very clearly in terms of upside Geekie is the second-best power forward in the draft. He will need 1-2 years to improve the acceleration on his feet and stay balanced, he tends to fall down too much given his size. Once those flaws are addressed, I see Geekie being an impactful top 6 center. Also something that most people on this site don’t realize, Geekie has great bloodlines, he’s the younger brother of Kraken forward Morgan Geekie.
14Logo de Jets de Winnipeg-This is a prospect who at one point, people had high hopes that he will become decent. Now it has dwindled down, there has been a lot of inconsistency in Lambert’s game. I believe that Lambert has the skill and ability to be a top 3 pick. But this season he only tapped into that range during the U20 championship. Other than that, Lambert put up poor numbers in the Liiga. But still a decent player, Lambert has high value being the best skater in the draft class. He’s often able to find the open area without the puck and with the puck its tough for the opposition to knock it off him. Even though he is a playmaker, Lambert sometimes struggles with finishing certain scoring chances for his team. Lambert is described as a complete playmaker, his awareness with the puck is exceptional. There’s a lot of flexibility in terms of position, Lambert often plays center but can also play right wing. However, scouts are projecting Lambert to play right wing full-time. At this spot, a solid upside pick, Lambert may have major flaws in his game. Still can be a solid top 6 winger in the NHL.
15Logo de Canucks de Vancouver-Like Lekkerimaki, Mintyukov is another big riser. Ideally Mintyukov is a bigger riser than Lekkerimaki. The full-time switch to CHL hockey definitely benefitted his development and Mintyukov showed that he can adapt to the CHL style. He may be Russian, but since he plays CHL hockey, he’s not really a project pick. Improvement with Mintyukov’s flaws were evident this season, his shot was a letdown, but lately it has been more powerful. Its still inaccurate, but overall Mintyukov is a decent stay-at-home defenseman. His calmness with the puck is excellent, he doesn’t shy away from pinching in the offensive zone. Like most defenseman, Mintyukov can utilize his size effectively. He’s also a rare left-shot defenseman, there aren’t a lot of high-tier left defenseman in this draft class. Starting to play the game with no major flaws besides the accuracy of his shot, Mintyukov can be a reliable top 4 defenseman in the NHL. It won’t be long until Mintyukov is ready to make his NHL debut.
16Logo de Sabres de BuffaloLogo de Golden Knights de VegasIn the first round of my rankings there are two prospects that have had hot finishes to their respective seasons. Both aren’t interchangeable in terms of draft rankings and finished at an even amount of production. I simply gave Korchinski the edge because he has higher value being a defenseman. His finish to the WHL season was outstanding, I saw a stat where it said that Korchinski scored 23 points in his final 14 games which for a defenseman is phenomenal. There’s no secret that he belongs in the top 20 of this draft, Korchinski is an offensive defenseman who plays at an elite compete level. I could see him be the quarterback of a power play in the NHL as he’s solid at keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Off that ability, he’s able to generate high-quality scoring chances. One knock on Korchinski’s game is his shot power. His shot may be accurate, but it isn’t powerful. For an offensive defenseman its not good. He’s a reliable three-zone player and I’m a fan of how well Korchinski utilizes his four-way agility. A high-value pick for sure, I see Korchinski as a reliable top 4 defenseman. It may take a few years for him to get into the NHL, but for whoever drafts him it will be worth the wait.
17Logo de Predators de Nashville-This is without a doubt the third-best power forward in the draft in terms of stock. Gauthier played a solid level of consistency to start the season but his ending was the opposite. However, he made up for it during the U18 championship, he’s definitely a high-value winger. While Gauthier may not have the size to be a power forward, he still doesn’t shy away from being physical. By scouts, his game is described as sandpaper. Always active on his feet and has the ability to be disruptive. Gauthier has a lot of Clayton Keller in his game. Not much to say about him, I see Gauthier as a high-value top 6 forward. He can also play center but he’s more valuable on the wing.
18Logo de Stars de Dallas-I hate that I have to put Yurov at this spot. Yes, its low but given the Russian ban and cancellation of Russian-related events, I seriously can’t put Yurov in my top 10. Though I do think that Yurov has the skill and ability to go there. Usually there’s an off-the-board pick in that range, I won’t be surprised if a team is willing to gamble on this player. He’s another power forward who is also a solid three-zone player. One thing to note is that Yurov started off the season playing as a sniper. So, there’s a lot of flexibility in terms of play style. GMs would love him because of that, Yurov often makes the smart play, his hockey IQ is amazing. Given the fact that he’s a power forward, his skating, more-so his agility could use some work. I see a lot of Pavel Buchnevich in his game, hard-nosed, physical, and part-time goal-scorer. Aside from the Russian factor, another knock on Yurov is his point production in the KHL as he went scoreless in his stint there. However, his production in the MHL is above average. If he develops properly, Yurov can be a solid 1st liner in the future. A high upside pick at this spot.
19Logo de Kings de Los Angeles-This is another player that has dwindled down in terms of draft, but not as much as Lambert. Main reason why Nelson has gone down in terms of stock is because of the low point production. For a first-rounder its not acceptable. Nelson still is a high-value pick at this spot, scouts classify him as a two-way defenseman. I see a lot of Jared Spurgeon in his game, small and high-poised. Nelson can everything for the team, he has high hockey IQ and always makes the right decision with and without the puck. Like Yurov, Lambert, and Jiricek, Nelson is another high upside pick at his respective spot. I see him as a high-end top 4 defenseman in the near future.
20Logo de Capitals de Washington-Remember how I said that there were two players who had incredible endings to their respective seasons? Korchinski was the first. Dumais is the second. People may find this to be a head scratcher because he was once so low, but something to note is that Dumais finished with over 100 points. Normally a player who finishes with over 100 points isn’t a bottom 10 pick in the first. So Dumais barely makes it in my top 20. He would be a lot higher, but one big knock on him is the size. Dumais is an undersized forward. Because of that, he is lacking the physical aspects of the game. However, Dumais possesses an elite offensive toolkit, he is a playmaker. His above average shot adds another dimension to his game. Dumais is a beast with the puck, its hard to opposing defenders to knock it off his stick. He’s a fantastic finisher in close quarters of the net. I love this player, even before his incredible ending to the season he was still rising up my rankings. He may not have made Canada’s U18 team, but his ending of the season makes up for that. Fans will cheer for this player every time he makes a sweet play, if he continues to develop well I see Dumais as a high-value top 6 winger. People on this site, do not think about his start to the season, just imagine his ending. You will see that he’s a top 20 pick in this draft, I can’t emphasize it enough times.
21Logo de Penguins de Pittsburgh-This is an underrated player by people on this site. Bichsel is one of the taller defenseman of the class, but unfortunately has average value. Definitely a project pick, there are multiple questions regarding his offensive upside. Still a lot to like about the defensive aspects of the game, I see a lot of Ryan Suter in his game. Just a solid defensive two-way guy and lethal puck protector. For a tall defenseman, Bichsel’s skating is relatively decent, usually tall guys don’t have the greatest skating, its something I’ve noticed lately. Apart from the offensive upside, another big knock-on Bichsel’s play style is the decision making, sometimes it results in a bad turnover that eventually leads to an opposition goal. But he makes up for it with his three-zone maturity and intelligence. Bichsel also doesn’t shy away from being physical. Once again, a low upside pick especially at this spot, but still a solid future top 4 player in the near future.
22Logo de Oilers d'Edmonton-After the top 21, there are about 50 guys that could go here. As of now, I believe the top 21 is currently set in stone. The best player available right now is the coolest name in the draft, Jagger Firkus. This is a player who has also risen up big time on the draft board, but not because he had an incredible ending to the season. It’s the high-value offensive toolkit that brings him up. While he does struggle in the defensive aspects of the game, he makes a lot of it with the offense. Firkus is a complete goal-scorer who plays with a lot of competitiveness and flare. His four-way agility on his feet is high-quality, the puck handling and offensive awareness is also there. For a part-time center, Firkus is too small for that particular position, he’s more suitable for the right wing. Firkus also shies away from being physical, and I think it does have to do with the small frame he has. A high-value pick, Firkus could be a reliable middle 6 winger in the near future.
23Logo de Ducks d'AnaheimLogo de Bruins de BostonNow we have arguably one of the top two-way forwards in the OHL. Very underrated player here, I seriously don’t understand why people on this site have him so low. This is a player who can do everything for you on-ice and consistently makes the smart play. Just a reliable three-zone player, however one weakness I see in his style is the strength. For a center, its not good and unfortunately DBB doesn’t play on the wing. Not much to say here as I haven’t scouted this prospect as much as others, but a high-value pick at this spot. DBB has high potential to be a reliable middle 6 center in the NHL and is capable of playing in all situations of the game, whether its power play or penalty kill. Just a complete two-way forward.
24Logo de Blues de St-Louis-A lot of people will find this to be a question mark, and I fully understand. There’s no secret that this overaged player could have gone first overall last year if only he played his OHL season. Even though Robertson is overaged, he’s a player that can excite most fanbases. I see no major flaws in his game, however I would start him off in the AHL to adapt to the faster pacing of the game given the fact that at times his speed is inconsistent, mostly with the puck. I see at times he lacks the acceleration, which often leads to him being pressured by opposing defenders. But other than that, he screams NHL ready in the rest of the aspects of the game. If given the right development process, Robertson can become a high-value pick, right now he has barely above average potential, I see him as a reliable second line forward within the next couple of years.
25Logo de Lightning de Tampa Bay-This guy used to be a player who has low-valued on my previous rankings, but he recently gained lots of value given his elite performance in the U18 championship. Very likely he goes in the second round but this is a player who could jump up in the NHL. Right now I’m assuming he jumps, and if he does, this is the highest I have him jumping. Before he was extremely low at 50th on my previous rankings. Apart from the high-level U18 performance, there’s more to like about Kulich. The best Czechia forward has solid three-zone skating, size utilization, puck protecting ability, and a well-rounded offensive toolkit. Kulich increasingly played at a high compete level this season, I totally see him as a reliable 2nd line forward in the near future.
26Logo de Rangers de New York-I get a lot of Cole Sillinger vibes with this player. To elaborate more on that, I mean that last season, people were questioning Sillinger’s defensive efforts in the game. I see the same thing happening with Kasper, he is almost invisible defensively. I barely see him out there while his team is making defensive plays, because of this I have him lower than most people. Yes, he had an above average ending to his season, but in my previous rankings he was an early second round pick. However, there’s a lot to like about Kasper’s offensive toolkit. His fast speed adds another dimension to his game. He may need another season in the SHL given the fact that he played extremely low minutes in Rogle. Next season I would have him play way more minutes then boost him up to the NHL. Unlike Sillinger, I don’t expect Kasper to make the NHL right away and surprise everyone. Kasper isn’t stylistically compared to Sillinger, I would say he has a lot of Matt Duchene qualities in him.
27Logo de Canadiens de MontréalLogo de Flames de CalgaryI can’t really say much about Ohgren because I haven’t scouted him as much as other players. From what I’ve heard from scouts and people on this site is that he’s a complete playmaker and was one of U18 Sweden’s bright spots. At the spot I’ve put him in, Ohgren could be a low-end second liner.
28Logo de Wild du Minnesota-Now we have a player who has one of the best hands in the draft, if not the best. This may be a project pick, but Trikozov has elite playmaking skills and a high amount of competitiveness in his game. He’s a reliable two-zone player (offensive and neutral zones), he makes all the smart plays in there. Given the fact he’s Russian, I still think Trikozov has high potential. Given the right development process, I see him as a solid middle 6 forward.
29Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto-This is surprisingly a high-value pick at this spot, given the fact that Chelsey is the best defensive defenseman in the draft. At the beginning of the season, I had Chelsey in my top 15, but overall consistency and effort offensively made me drop him down to the second round in my previous rankings. However, the offensive took a big improvement in the U18 championship, so here he is in the mid-stages of the first round. I see a lot of Jake Sanderson qualities in him, defensively sound and solid gap control. The shot is solid and his horizontal agility is above average. However, Chelsey does lack acceleration with and without the puck and he tends to take too many penalties. If the offensive aspects of the game continue to improve, Chelsey could be a steal if taken at this spot. But at the same time, because he’s the best defensive defenseman in the class, I also see him moving up. Just a solid future middle-pairing defenseman.
30Logo de Coyotes de l'ArizonaLogo de Hurricanes de la CarolineThis was another bright spot for Team Sweden of the U18’s. This may be lower than some people expect, and I do get it. But I said before that there are at least 50 guys who could be drafted in the mid-stages of the first round, Ostlund just happened to be a faller. There’s a lot to like about Ostlund, he’s a small high-end playmaker. Because of the size, there’s a lot of question marks surrounding the physical parts of the game. Ostlund does shy away from that aspect, but the creative mindset makes up for it. A decent center who could become a future 2nd liner.
31Logo de Coyotes de l'ArizonaLogo de Avalanche du ColoradoThis is probably an underrated player, one of the best two-way forwards in the draft. What’s funny about this player is that whenever I’m scouting OTHER players besides him, he’s often present in most highlights I watch, something that you rarely see. That’s why he’s higher than some people have him, such a flashy player. Snuggerud often makes the smart pass in all three zones, and has solid finishing ability. No risk at all with this pick, but an extremely high reward. In the future, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him win a Selke trophy and maybe be a team captain, but given the right development, I see Snuggerud as a reliable 2nd liner.
32Logo de Sabres de BuffaloLogo de Panthers de la FlorideWhy is there no Casey in the first round? While he has first-round talent, I believe he was clearly overshowed by Chelsey and Lane Hutson in the U18 championship. On the other hand, I have David Goyette here. Apart from the likes of Conor Bedard and Adam Fantilli, I believe that Goyette was the best player for an underachieving Team Canada in the U18’s. He’s a star player for Sudbury in the OHL and is a high-end playmaker. There’s even more to like about Goyette, he’s solid in transition, has great offensive awareness, and his shot brings another dimension to his playmaking toolkit. However, the size is lackluster, and because of this Goyette lacks strength and shies away from being physical.
9 mai 2022 à 17 h 3
power forward
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 603
9 mai 2022 à 17 h 3
Démarrer sujet
power forward
BruinsFan35 et Zinger a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2022 à 17 h 4
Démarrer sujet
power forward
9 mai 2022 à 17 h 4
Démarrer sujet
power forward
9 mai 2022 à 17 h 4
Démarrer sujet
power forward
9 mai 2022 à 17 h 4
Démarrer sujet
power forward
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2022 à 17 h 17
Rejoint: mai 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,559
Love the in depth analysis great job!
Z0ra a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2022 à 17 h 21
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,335
I'd have Mintyukov/Dumais lower and Casey/Chesley higher but looks good overall. I may end up posting a kind of top 32/mock draft soon but my final ranking will only come out after I've completed my GM Game entry draft, can't give nickthehabsfan and co. my scouting info lol
Z0ra a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2022 à 17 h 33
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,306
Nice write-ups
(one typo in Jiricek says two-way forward)

Things that stuck out to me

Dumais at #20. I could be sold on him being worth that, I have a harder time buying into the believe that a GM would take him there (they are and have always been suckers for size).

Jirieck falling due to injury. He will be playing at World Championships, so could recoup all his losses.

Chesley at #29. There are a handful of draft observers I really trust. Two of them (Ryan Kennedy and Bob McKenzie) have said they have heard from many scouts that say he is #3 dman on their boards.

Kulich jumping to 25, Ostlund only to 30. I didn't watch every game, but the guy that wowed me the most was Ostlund (that whole line, to be honest). He is probably a wing at next level, but I think if Kulich upped his stock that much, Ostlund probably could have as well.

Lastly, I have always been on team Lambert > Kemell. I just thinking that gap in skating will be a factor at NHL level. Lambert (maybe along with Cooley and Ostlund) is among the best skaters in the draft. Kemell does most of his damage with his legs planted.
9 mai 2022 à 17 h 48
Rejoint: mai 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,559
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I'd have Mintyukov/Dumais lower and Casey/Chesley higher but looks good overall. I may end up posting a kind of top 32/mock draft soon but my final ranking will only come out after I've completed my GM Game entry draft, can't give nickthehabsfan and co. my scouting info lol

i won't be affected by it, might steal your players tho 😉
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2022 à 18 h 4
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436
@christianyog Really good work on the 2022 Draft. I've seen some of your other posts and its helped me get to know the top guys in the class more.
9 mai 2022 à 18 h 7
Rejoint: avr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,940
Looks good, haven't seen anything that seems totally unrealistic till now. Can't read the descriptions the moment but I'll do that tomorrow.

Quoting: NHLfan10506
Nice write-ups
(one typo in Jiricek says two-way forward)

Things that stuck out to me

Dumais at #20. I could be sold on him being worth that, I have a harder time buying into the believe that a GM would take him there (they are and have always been suckers for size).

Jirieck falling due to injury. He will be playing at World Championships, so could recoup all his losses.

Chesley at #29. There are a handful of draft observers I really trust. Two of them (Ryan Kennedy and Bob McKenzie) have said they have heard from many scouts that say he is #3 dman on their boards.

Kulich jumping to 25, Ostlund only to 30. I didn't watch every game, but the guy that wowed me the most was Ostlund (that whole line, to be honest). He is probably a wing at next level, but I think if Kulich upped his stock that much, Ostlund probably could have as well.

Lastly, I have always been on team Lambert > Kemell. I just thinking that gap in skating will be a factor at NHL level. Lambert (maybe along with Cooley and Ostlund) is among the best skaters in the draft. Kemell does most of his damage with his legs planted.

I'd definitely rank Nazar's and Savoie's skating ahead of Östlund's, probably Miroshnichenko's too.
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2022 à 18 h 37
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,173
Wow this is great. Really good, in depth analysis.
Z0ra a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2022 à 22 h 48
PittsburghModelMyAss
Mentions "j'aime": 1,405
I have a few qualms;

Wright being labelled a playmaker whilst scoring 40goals as a 15yr old in the O is baffling.

Keyword from that Slaf paragraph is former

How is Nazar way too small to play center in the NHL at 5'10 174 and yet Lekkerimaki at 5'11 172 should be fine? Confusing
Z0ra a aimé ceci.
10 mai 2022 à 1 h 22
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 161
My approach is slightly different. I prefer leaders on their respective junior teams. And I prefer D-men in front of forwards.

That's why I am low on Savoie. He is not a difference maker on his (strong) team. He is around no. 10 by my measurements.

Similar with Nazar, he is around my no. 15; he looked good, but he's been playing on a strong team.

I have second thoughts about Lekkerimaki's hockey sense and light frame, but that's subjective.

On the other hand I am high on Jiricek. If he would be healthy all season he would probably be my no. 2.

Mintyukov is in my top 10. He is the best player on a bad team.

Korchinski is in my top 10. He is the best D-man (on a strong team), also he is good in the playoffs. He is also young and has grown another inch in the past few months. Size matters on the back end.

Gauthier is in my top 10 and in my opinion 2nd best power-forward (behind Slafkovsky and in front of Geekie). His projection as NHL player is simple and that makes him safe pick - despite possibly lower ceiling.

I have Nelson in my 2nd round. He is not a difference-maker on his (strong) team. For below 6ft0 D-man he is not outstanding. On the other hand I have no problems with Mateychuk being in the middle of the 1st round, he makes the difference on his team.

Dumais is 1st round talent. Halifax has one of the best programs and he was the best scorer on a team by a wide margin.

As overager is Robertson not even the best forward on his team. I would not touch him before 3rd round.

Don't worry, we're all wrong...
Z0ra a aimé ceci.
10 mai 2022 à 4 h 15
Rejoint: avr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 387
No way Jiricek goes outside top 10. I know this sounds crazy but i could see him go before Nemec. Otherwise great list!
Z0ra a aimé ceci.
10 mai 2022 à 7 h 47
Fan of the OHL
Rejoint: mars 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 125
I don’t rank Cooley as high as some and put Nemec in the 2 slot. Cooley plays with a lot of talented players which elevates his game. The points , standings don’t matter for the usntdp- they just go out and grandstand in a pile of ushl ncaa exhibition games with no playoff aspirations. At the U18 any one of the USA forwards could have been chosen for the all star team yet he got it and Nazar McGroarty Howard I thought all outplayed him. Good write ups
Z0ra a aimé ceci.
10 mai 2022 à 9 h 20
Evans truther
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,434
Dumais had a very good season but size and the poor defensive play showed in the Q in general will make him at best a mid second rounder. Size bias is very well still here, it took record breaking USDP seasons by Caufield to be worthy of a first round tag and even there he fell a little. Talent's there but size matters.

Chesley's got it all to become a steady top four guy, his offense might not be there yet but even if it doesn't develop he still has all the tools to be a good defensive defender.

Whoever picks Geekie early is still chasing the next Getzlaf but his poor skating mechanics are gonna stall his ceiling pretty quickly when put up against faster opponents in the AHL. You can refine your skating but you can't learn it from the ground up at this age, like Dumais in this case size bias will happen and he'll go early because he's 6'4" and was able to score on 168lbs defenders.
Z0ra a aimé ceci.
10 mai 2022 à 11 h 50
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,485
Very well detailed post. I like it.
Z0ra a aimé ceci.
10 mai 2022 à 11 h 59
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
Nice list, not going to judge your rankings, we like who we like.

I am very high on Nazer, don't totally see the comparisons to Konecny.

Frank is hands down the best skater in the class, his crossovers and straight line speed are incredible. His most dangerous offensive weapon is his wrist shot and release, dude can pick corners from any angle. Can really catch goalies off guard. And with that speed is very effective on the PK, can really pressure guys with the puck into making poor decisions.

I am with you, winger is probably where he ends up in the NHL and needs to but on some size to his frame. But that will come with time. He won't go straight to the NHL. IMO is see Patrick Kane comparisons.

Nice list and thoughts!
Z0ra a aimé ceci.
10 mai 2022 à 12 h 4
Démarrer sujet
power forward
Quoting: Leemer
I don’t rank Cooley as high as some and put Nemec in the 2 slot. Cooley plays with a lot of talented players which elevates his game. The points , standings don’t matter for the usntdp- they just go out and grandstand in a pile of ushl ncaa exhibition games with no playoff aspirations. At the U18 any one of the USA forwards could have been chosen for the all star team yet he got it and Nazar McGroarty Howard I thought all outplayed him. Good write ups

I would say Nemec and Cooley are tied for 2nd. I almost put Nemec at 2.
Leemer a aimé ceci.
10 mai 2022 à 12 h 6
Démarrer sujet
power forward
Quoting: ColonelX
Dumais had a very good season but size and the poor defensive play showed in the Q in general will make him at best a mid second rounder. Size bias is very well still here, it took record breaking USDP seasons by Caufield to be worthy of a first round tag and even there he fell a little. Talent's there but size matters.

Chesley's got it all to become a steady top four guy, his offense might not be there yet but even if it doesn't develop he still has all the tools to be a good defensive defender.

Whoever picks Geekie early is still chasing the next Getzlaf but his poor skating mechanics are gonna stall his ceiling pretty quickly when put up against faster opponents in the AHL. You can refine your skating but you can't learn it from the ground up at this age, like Dumais in this case size bias will happen and he'll go early because he's 6'4" and was able to score on 168lbs defenders.

I could see that happening where Dumais gets selected in the second round because he's not well-praised by scouts. However, I don't like putting 100-pt players in the second round. Also considering the small amount of defenseman in this class, I could see Chelsey being an off-the-board pick as well.

Also we totally are on the same page about the Getzlaf comparison. Geekie definitely has a lot of Getzlaf qualities in his game.
10 mai 2022 à 12 h 8
Démarrer sujet
power forward
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Nice list, not going to judge your rankings, we like who we like.

I am very high on Nazer, don't totally see the comparisons to Konecny.

Frank is hands down the best skater in the class, his crossovers and straight line speed are incredible. His most dangerous offensive weapon is his wrist shot and release, dude can pick corners from any angle. Can really catch goalies off guard. And with that speed is very effective on the PK, can really pressure guys with the puck into making poor decisions.

I am with you, winger is probably where he ends up in the NHL and needs to but on some size to his frame. But that will come with time. He won't go straight to the NHL. IMO is see Patrick Kane comparisons.

Nice list and thoughts!

That actually makes sense! Kane is a better comparison than Konecny.
10 mai 2022 à 12 h 10
Démarrer sujet
power forward
Quoting: Konkarsson
No way Jiricek goes outside top 10. I know this sounds crazy but i could see him go before Nemec. Otherwise great list!

I could see him going above Nemec if he has a solid WC tournament.
10 mai 2022 à 12 h 22
Démarrer sujet
power forward
I could definitely see Nazar and Savoie falling because of size. However, I don't think they do because some teams would have learned their lesson after Caufield and DeBrincat.

For Jiricek, he could be ahead of Nemec if he has a productive WC tournament. Mintyukov I could see a scenario if a team really wants a LD and Mateychuk is already taken, I could see Mintyukov going off the board. Korchinski will only go off-the-board if a GM really loves him. Sort of how like in 2020, Ken Holland really fell in love in Dylan Holloway's game. If a same situation like that happens, Korchinski could go off-the-board in the top 10.

I totally agree about your point on Gauthier, he definitely has better skating than Geekie. But I think Geekie is better built in terms of size for a power forward especially.

What's interesting in my mock draft is that I have Nelson falling because of the production he put up compared to other defenseman ranked above him.

For Robertson, I do agree with you that he's not the best forward on his team, definitely outplayed by MacTavish. But I see no flaws in his play style. Normally I don't like putting guys with no flaws outside the first round. I almost put Lukas Edmonds in the first round, but while Edmonds has no flaws in his style, he's fourth-year draft eligible. I also, along with a lot of people don't like putting fourth-year draft eligible players in the first round.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage