SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Off-season Discussion Thread - #1

17 mai 2022 à 15 h 8
me wan da poonani
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,243

Normally I quite like CJ but sometimes he needs to be told to stay off the weed.
I mean is #2 = Hall + Ullmark + Boston 2022 2nd rd pick?
A_Habs_fan, Devil et justaBoss a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 15 h 9
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 502
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

Uhh… what? How? he had to be on enough pain killers to put an elephant to sleep, like how? And the implications of playing in that condition

Patrice Bergeron played with broken rib, torn cartilage and muscle tissue and a separated shoulder and a punctured lung against the Blackhawks in 2013 finals. Presumably, for most of the playoffs too.
zk97 a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 15 h 9
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
Quoting: Db1899
New WPG top 9:
Lowry-Schiefele-Wheeler
Connor-Stastny-Harkins
Ehlers-Dubious- 35 YO grinder

Lowry - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Stastny - Harkins
Ehlers - Dubois - Comeau
Svechnikov - Toninato - Sanford

Nightmares. Personified.
A_Habs_fan, Db1899, zk97 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 15 h 14
Mentions "j'aime": 12,084
Quoting: Bobcat205
Lowry - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Stastny - Harkins
Ehlers - Dubois - Comeau
Svechnikov - Toninato - Sanford

Nightmares. Personified.

I feel bad for Heinola and Perfetti
aadoyle et zk97 a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 15 h 29
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,729
Quoting: Tintin
Yes, but Cooley exists so....

Maybe Tatar at 2.25m could work, unless you're looking for something a bit more flashier.
He's not the tallest guy around so should fit the profile

The little was mainly for the price point if you know what I mean (as if its a tall or short playmaker who cares lul) but yeah a 2mill playmaker playing next to JT is something Toronto is probs looking for.
Tintin a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 15 h 30
Hakuna Matata
I feel bad for Heinola and Perfetti

Dont forget Samberg
Db1899 a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 15 h 32
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,233
Quoting: aadoyle
Dont forget Samberg

You guys are acting like Trots didn't play any young players. He did, they just had to fit a certain mold. It happens with every coach and how they coach.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 15 h 43
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
You guys are acting like Trots didn't play any young players. He did, they just had to fit a certain mold. It happens with every coach and how they coach.

Trotz has buried almost every high end young forward he’s coached over the last 20 years. Filip Forsberg, radulov left to the KHL 2x because of Trotz, Vrana , Burakovsky, Wahlstrom etc..

He is better with defenseman than forwards. It doesn’t matter how good you are, if you’re a young forward that has to go through Trotz to make the NHL you will barely play. But if you’re somewhat established, he’ll be forced to work with you. For example, he couldn’t take Mat Barzal after an 85 pt rookie season and put him on the 4th line, but guys like Vrana and Forsberg went through hell playing for Trotz because they got their first taste of the NHL through him. I’m not even sure Barzal would have been a 50 pt guy by now if Trotz was coaching him from the start.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 16 h 0
KFTW
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 23,514
Quoting: Tintin
Yes, but Cooley exists so....

Maybe Tatar at 2.25m could work, unless you're looking for something a bit more flashier.
He's not the tallest guy around so should fit the profile

You don’t need Cooley. Let him go to Arizona
17 mai 2022 à 16 h 15
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,448
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
He would get a dubious 35 YO grinder to play with Ehlers, i guess that would make Dubois the 4c

No no, Dubois is getting traded for first overall pick.

Haven't you seen the AGMs?
A_Habs_fan, aadoyle, capsfan2121 and 5 others a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 16 h 22
What in tarnation
Nobodies lol - the islanders had Devon Toews, Pulock and Pelech for one of those ECF runs. How many teams can say they have 3 top pair D all in their primes.

I think recency bias is inflicting your opinion towards Trotz.

Trotz more or less was the one who turned those guys what they are known today.

Before Trotz arrived, Toews hadn't played a single game in NHL yet and was grinding in AHL. Pulock has played one full year and Pelech was pretty average, getting around 18 minutes a night.

You really think those three would've reached the level they're in now with Weight or Capuano? Nah.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 16 h 35
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,165
Quoting: justaBoss
No no, Dubois is getting traded for first overall pick.

Haven't you seen the AGMs?

Who would be the 35 yo grinder. What’s a fit?
csick a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 16 h 41
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,165
@csick and @justaboss look a Twitter when you get a chance, we have some interest
csick a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 16 h 44
I think recency bias is inflicting your opinion towards Trotz.

Trotz more or less was the one who turned those guys what they are known today.

Before Trotz arrived, Toews hadn't played a single game in NHL yet and was grinding in AHL. Pulock has played one full year and Pelech was pretty average, getting around 18 minutes a night.

You really think those three would've reached the level they're in now with Weight or Capuano? Nah.

I’ve been calling for Trotz to be fired for over 2 years, this isnt recency bias.

No Trotz did not turn them into who they are today, he was just riding their aging curves. The year before Trotz became HC Pelech was the isles best two way defenseman and Pulock was elite offensively.

Toews was regarded as one of the best defenseman in the AHL.

Isles 2018-19 record before Toews was called up:
17-13-4

Isles record after Toews was called up:
20-6-3

To suggest that Trotz changed the trajectory of Pelech, Pulock, or Toews is a wild take. They would have definitely reached the same level under Weight or Capuano. You’re acting like these guys were 30 year old journeyman defenseman.

The only players that Trotz and his staff has altered the trajectory of is Lehner, Varlamov , Greiss + Brock Nelson. That’s it.
17 mai 2022 à 16 h 57
What in tarnation
I’ve been calling for Trotz to be fired for over 2 years, this isnt recency bias.

No Trotz did not turn them into who they are today, he was just riding their aging curves. The year before Trotz became HC Pelech was the isles best two way defenseman and Pulock was elite offensively.

Toews was regarded as one of the best defenseman in the AHL.

Isles 2018-19 record before Toews was called up:
17-13-4

Isles record after Toews was called up:
20-6-3

To suggest that Trotz changed the trajectory of Pelech, Pulock, or Toews is a wild take. They would have definitely reached the same level under Weight or Capuano. You’re acting like these guys were 30 year old journeyman defenseman.

The only players that Trotz and his staff has altered the trajectory of is Lehner, Varlamov , Greiss + Brock Nelson. That’s it.

I don't buy it. Nothing projected them all becoming a first pair D-men until Trotz changed the trajectory of that team - and most importantly their defense. Maybe Pulock.

They literally went from worst to best in that in one year.
A_Habs_fan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 16 h 58
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,442
Find another Bunting or Verhaeghe type

Leafs never should've gotten rid of Verhaeghe in the 1st place
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 17 h 1
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: SevenLeg

Agreed but Lou wanted to dump a bunch of contracts and I guess he decided Verhaeghe wasnt gonna be much.

But through begging to be in the lineup and hard work he made it and made Lou look stupid for trading him

Making me hate Lou a little bit more
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 17 h 2
What in tarnation
Quoting: capsfan2121
Who would be the 35 yo grinder. What’s a fit?

Brian Boyle lol
zk97, csick, capsfan2121 and 3 others a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 17 h 2
KFTW
Quoting: SevenLeg

Or McCann. McCann > Kerfoot
justaBoss, Tintin et SevenLeg a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 17 h 4
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: csick
Or McCann. McCann > Kerfoot

McCann though would be a pure rental and hes also not a playoff performer so kind of okay with that. As ironically

Kerfoot has more goals in the playoffs than McCann and thats both funny and sad.

Also wouldnt expect the production here as in Seattle McCann got PP time on unit 1 and was their 1c for most of the year.

If anything McCann would have probs ended with the same numbers as Kerfoot or heck maybe less.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 17 h 11
KFTW
The one player that would actually make an impact for Toronto and could help them get past the 1st round is : Drum roll plz…

Brad Marchand
zk97, capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 17 h 14
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
McCann though would be a pure rental and hes also not a playoff performer so kind of okay with that. As ironically

Kerfoot has more goals in the playoffs than McCann and thats both funny and sad.

Also wouldnt expect that production here as in Seattle McCann got PP time on unit 1 and was their 1c for most of the year.

Kerfoot has over 3x as many playoff games as McCann and McCann never got to play on a line with anyone like Tavares or Nylander (he was always stuck on Pittsburgh’s 3rd line). McCann would have had the opportunity to play a top 6 LW role, or 3C with Nylander, or 2C and allow the Leafs to slide Tavares to the wing because he’s so versatile. He’s also a better goal scorer than Kerfoot. There’s a reason Seattle chose him over Kerfoot and that’s because he’s the better player. He’s also younger. And really, that isn’t even the comparison you should be looking at, because they were both left available in the first place to protect… Holl. So yeah, that was just an L all around, there’s really no justifying that decision in hindsight at all, and there was very little justification at the time either, so I’m not sure why you’re trying to play it off as a good thing.
justaBoss a aimé ceci.
17 mai 2022 à 17 h 17
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Alfie11
Kerfoot has over 3x as many playoff games as McCann and McCann never got to play on a line with anyone like Tavares or Nylander (he was always stuck on Pittsburgh’s 3rd line). McCann would have had the opportunity to play a top 6 LW role, or 3C with Nylander, or 2C and allow the Leafs to slide Tavares to the wing because he’s so versatile. He’s also a better goal scorer than Kerfoot. There’s a reason Seattle chose him over Kerfoot and that’s because he’s the better player. He’s also younger. And really, that isn’t even the comparison you should be looking at, because they were both left available in the first place to protect… Holl. So yeah, that was just an L all around, there’s really no justifying that decision in hindsight at all, and there was very little justification at the time either, so I’m not sure why you’re trying to play it off as a good thing.

Here is the thing what guarantee would we have had McCann would have been good in Toronto. Might have ended up being like Nick Ritchie and struggled or he would have been with the duo and scored 40 goals. Who knows.

Kerfoot yes didnt have the goals but still contributed enough to where the move was fine. Holl despite the criticism also did his job when needed. If Dubas would have known there would be a dropoff of course he would have protected McCann but we have seen what Holl when he is in the zone can do. Make strong plays and contribute well to the PK.

Also McCann did get top 6 with Malkin and Kapenan in Pittsburgh so he wasnt always on their 3rd line but I see the argument.

In general McCann to me would have been a pure rental and would be most likely on his way out via trade this summer as 5mill would have been pricey
17 mai 2022 à 17 h 18
I don't buy it. Nothing projected them all becoming a first pair D-men until Trotz changed the trajectory of that team - and most importantly their defense. Maybe Pulock.

Pulock put up elite production at every level since his draft year, including his rookie year in the NHL. How can you say that he changed the trajectory of Toews when he had an immediate impact after he was called up? That makes no sense. He was elite the minute he played his first game, and that was from years of development in the AHL.

A year before Toews made his NHL debut
"The late-blooming defenseman is an incredibly mobile skater who can carry the puck out of trouble whenever needed and keep play going in the right direction. Has a good slap shot from the point and is a useful weapon on the power play. He is versatile enough to play either side and strong enough to play upwards of 20 minutes per game."

Long Range Potential: Outstanding puck-moving defenseman.

And then here's Pelech playing in Doug Weights pond hockey system yet he had by far the best defensive impact on the team and was also pretty good at driving offense. Some things never change.
<a href=Screen-Shot-2022-05-17-at-5-04-25-PM">
17 mai 2022 à 17 h 21

The Islanders defense went from worst to best because of the personnel and Mitch Korn working his magic with the goaltenders.

Isles went from this top 4 in 17-18

Leddy-Boychuk
Pelech-Aho

to

Pelech-Pulock
Toews - Mayfield

in trotz 1st year

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage