SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New Jersey Devils

Devils 2021-22 Season in Review

2 mai 2022 à 14 h 21
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,426
Devils have another disappointing season and finish 5th last in the NHL. However they have played better than their record indicates this season. Devils were destroyed by injuries, coaching, and goaltending. Goaltending and coaching can be fixed this offseason.

Here is a breakdown of every player and coach this season (minimum 10 games and are actively in the organization)

Jesper Bratt (76 games, 26 goals, 47 assists, 73 points) - Bratt finally broke out this season. Us Devils fans all knew the potential this guy had and he finally put it all together. He started off slow but he picked it up and finished just shy of a point per game. He is part of the future and will get PAID this offseason

Nico Hischier (70 games, 21 goals, 39 assists, 60 points) - Can't believe how many people doubt Hischier but he has shown again how good of a player is. Scoring 60 points and being great defensively while having weak linemates most of the season. I am confident of having him and Hughes as our two centers for the future

Jack Hughes (49 games, 26 goals, 30 assists, 56 points) - This kid is a superstar. Hughes finally has his breakout season and he looks incredible. He carried the Devils offense almost every night and I am so glad we locked him up before he broke out and asked for even more money. Every aspect of his game has improved, especially his shooting ability. In his rookie year he would fall down trying to slap shot the puck but now he is clapping bombs from the point. My only concern is that he needs to stay out of the corners and stay out of danger

Yegor Sharangovich (76 games, 24 goals, 22 assists, 46 points) - Sharangovich started off the season extremely slow with Hughes being injured and often would get thrown into the bottom 6. I thought he would be Gusev 2.0 but he started to gain confidence and rebound from his slow start. Once Hughes came back, Sharangovich played great and when Hughes got injured again, Sharangovich still continued to play well, both offensively and defensively.

Damon Severson (80 games, 11 goals, 35 assists, 46 points): Devils fans like to hate on Severson alot but he's been our best defenseman this year. He just had his best offensive season of his career and I hope he resigns after next year. He's a great leader and a solid defensemen who can be on our team in the future

Dawson Mercer (82 games, 17 goals, 25 assists, 42 points): Mercer is our only player who has played all 82 games and he has had a very productive rookie season. He started off the season great but cooled down near the middle. Towards the end he picked it back up, playing both center and wing. I can definitely see him being on Hughes' wing in the future.

Pavel Zacha (70 games, 15 goals, 21 assists, 36 points): It's time for Zacha to go. He's been here for 6 years but hasn't developed into the player he was projected to be. He needs a change of scenery and we need to surround our young centers with wingers who can actually shoot the puck on net.

Andreas Johnsson (71 games, 13 goals, 22 assists, 35 points): Although the stats look solid and what some Devils fans say, I was not impressed by Johnsson this year. He got carried by his linemates for most of the year and slowed down. For reference, he had 18 points in 20 games to start the year. Then he has 17 points in the remaining 51 games. Hopefully his inflated stats will boost his trade value

Tomas Tatar (76 games, 15 goals, 15 assists, 30 points): Tatar has been underwhelming this year statistically. However, he is better than his point totals indicate in my opinion. He will be a 3rd liner for us next year and can sometimes play top 6 if need be.

Dougie Hamilton (62 games, 9 goals, 21 assists, 30 points): Hamilton didn't live up to the expectations this year but I mostly blame that with his injury. He was very good prior to his injury producing around a 20 points, 30 games pace. Once he came back, he struggled dealing with his broken jaw and broken toe. I fully expect him rebound next year

Ryan Graves: (75 games, 6 goals, 22 assists, 28 points): Gravy was a solid defensemen for us this year. Nothing really to complain about. I hope he and Dougie take over as the top pair next year. They would complement each other well, Graves being defensive and Dougie being offensive

Jesper Boqvist (56 games, 10 goals, 13 assists, 23 points): Boqvist started the season in the AHL but he soon was given an opportunity in the NHL and ran with it. Boqvist played really well towards the end of the season and I hope he is given that 3C position to start next year. He deserves it.

PK Subban (77 games, 5 goals, 17 assists, 22 points): Subban's tenure on the Devils has not been what we had hoped. His on-ice play on the Devils wasn't great but his off-ice impact goes unnoticed. He was a great locker-room guy for the Devils and helped young guys like Yegor Sharangovich, Ty Smith, Jack Hughes, and Dawson Mercer get settled in. He's not going to be a Devil next year but I'm happy he left a positive impact in the locker room.

Ty Smith (66 games, 5 goals, 15 assists, 20 points): Brutal sophomore slump for Ty Smith. But I mainly attribute his disappointing year to Lindy Ruff who didn't give Smith PP time and played him with PK Subban. who also wasn't good defensively. I hope Devils fans haven't given up on Ty Smith. He's only 22 and could definitely rebound if he plays with a good defensive partner

Michael McLeod: (77 games, 6 goals, 14 assists, 20 points): Not the best year from McLeod offensively but he was still alright defensively. I know Devils were expecting more from our 2016 first round pick but he is what he is at this point. A bottom 6 center who can be great at faceoffs and great defensively and can pitch in 20-30 points.

Janne Kuokkanen (57 games, 6 goals, 11 assists, 17 points): Kuokkanen struggled this year but it looked like a big reason for that was his lingering wrist injury. He played much better post wrist recovery but I still don't expect him to be a big part of our future. He was carried by Hughes in his rookie year

Nate Bastian (60 games, 11 goals, 5 assists, 16 points): I'm surprised Bastian only has 16 points, it seemed like he had a bigger impact offensively than that. I am hoping Bastian and McLeod can be staples in our fourth line in the future, being good defensively, physical, and pitch in 20-30 points offensively

Jimmy Vesey (68 games, 8 goals, 7 assists, 15 points): Although the stats don’t look impressive, Vesey’s season was actually decent. He was good defensively and pitched in offensively. Nice to see him doing well in the NHL after he struggled in his first few years. Unfortunately, I don’t see him coming back to the Devils next year

Jonas Siegenthaler (70 games, 1 goal, 13 assists, 14 points): Impressive breakout year for Siegenthaler. Went from being a 7D to a top 4dman and one of the best defensive players in the league. I have high hopes for him in the future.

Fabian Zetterlund (14 games, 3 goals, 5 assists, 8 points): Zetterlund has had a phenomenal year in Utica and when he was called up, he kept up his great play. Zetterlund’s shot and energy have stood out the most and he definitely could be fighting for a roster spot next year. One of the most underrated prospects in the Devils’ system.

Colton White (27 games, 0 goals, 4 assists, 4 points): White didn’t have much of an impact as the 7D but wasn’t bad by any means. He stepped into the lineup and played solid all around. He could be the 7D next year as well.

Kevin Bahl (17 games, 1 goal, 3 assists, 4 points): Bahl was a solid defensive defensemen in his time in NJ. Didn't expect much from him offensively but I'm glad he scored his first NHL goal against his former club. Maybe he and Smith can be a pairing next year.

Mason Geertsen (25 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points): Mason Geertsen

Nico Daws (10-11-1, 3.11, .893): Very impressive what Nico Daws did at the age of 21. He stepped into a struggling Devils team and took over as the starter and played well. He has a chance of being our goalie for the future.

Mackenzie Blackwood (9-10-4, 3.39, .892): Blackwood struggled this year no doubt but are people forgetting that he was playing through a heel injury all season? He didn’t look 100% and I wouldn’t give up on him just yet after 1 year filled with injuries.

Jon Gillies (3-10-1, 3.76, .885): Gillies didn’t play well at all but we really didn’t have many options. He’s representing the US in the Worlds this summer so that should be interesting. I don’t expect him back next year

Johnathan Bernier (4-4-1, 3.06, .902): Bernier was supposed to be our 1B behind Blackwood this year but unfortunately he got injured. Hip injuries are very serious so I am not sure if he will even return to that same level of play when he comes back. But hoping for the best for Bernier.

Andrew Hammond (1-5-1, 4.66, .860): Hammond also didn’t play well at all for the Devils but didn’t expect anything from him. At least his 1 win came against the Vegas Golden Knights and prevented them from making the playoffs.

Akira Schmid (0-4-0, 4.83, .833): Just like Daws, Schmid was called up to the Devils to try to be the goalie however Schmid did not appear ready at all for the NHL. He’s played well in Utica though so no complaints about him.

Lindy Ruff: Now onto the coaches…I hope Lindy Ruff gets fired. Although some of the players like him, Ruff’s time as the Devils coach has been poor. Devils led the league in most blown leads and he has led to some players such as Ty Smith, Alex Holtz, and Pavel Zacha to have big down years. Devils need a new coach who fits with their style of play

Mark Recchi: Recchi needs to get fired even before Ruff does. The Devils finish bottom 5 in PP percentage despite having talented offensive players. The only reason he has a job is because Jack Hughes carried the powerplay.

Alain Nasreddine: The Devils finish 14th in the league in PK which isn’t bad. I am leaning on Nas staying since he’s been part of the organization for a while and he’s done a decent job with the PK.
SevenLeg, NoVaSpartan, MitchMarner_16 and 5 others a aimé ceci.
2 mai 2022 à 14 h 42
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,448
Quoting: Devil
Devils have another disappointing season and finish 5th last in the NHL. However they have played better than their record indicates this season. Devils were destroyed by injuries, coaching, and goaltending. Goaltending and coaching can be fixed this offseason.

Here is a breakdown of every player and coach this season (minimum 10 games and are actively in the organization)

Jesper Bratt (76 games, 26 goals, 47 assists, 73 points) - Bratt finally broke out this season. Us Devils fans all knew the potential this guy had and he finally put it all together. He started off slow but he picked it up and finished just shy of a point per game. He is part of the future and will get PAID this offseason

Nico Hischier (70 games, 21 goals, 39 assists, 60 points) - Can't believe how many people doubt Hischier but he has shown again how good of a player is. Scoring 60 points and being great defensively while having weak linemates most of the season. I am confident of having him and Hughes as our two centers for the future

Jack Hughes (49 games, 26 goals, 30 assists, 56 points) - This kid is a superstar. Hughes finally has his breakout season and he looks incredible. He carried the Devils offense almost every night and I am so glad we locked him up before he broke out and asked for even more money. Every aspect of his game has improved, especially his shooting ability. In his rookie year he would fall down trying to slap shot the puck but now he is clapping bombs from the point. My only concern is that he needs to stay out of the corners and stay out of danger

Yegor Sharangovich (76 games, 24 goals, 22 assists, 46 points) - Sharangovich started off the season extremely slow with Hughes being injured and often would get thrown into the bottom 6. I thought he would be Gusev 2.0 but he started to gain confidence and rebound from his slow start. Once Hughes came back, Sharangovich played great and when Hughes got injured again, Sharangovich still continued to play well, both offensively and defensively.

Damon Severson (80 games, 11 goals, 35 assists, 46 points): Devils fans like to hate on Severson alot but he's been our best defenseman this year. He just had his best offensive season of his career and I hope he resigns after next year. He's a great leader and a solid defensemen who can be on our team in the future

Dawson Mercer (82 games, 17 goals, 25 assists, 42 points): Mercer is our only player who has played all 82 games and he has had a very productive rookie season. He started off the season great but cooled down near the middle. Towards the end he picked it back up, playing both center and wing. I can definitely see him being on Hughes' wing in the future.

Pavel Zacha (70 games, 15 goals, 21 assists, 36 points): It's time for Zacha to go. He's been here for 6 years but hasn't developed into the player he was projected to be. He needs a change of scenery and we need to surround our young centers with wingers who can actually shoot the puck on net.

Andreas Johnsson (71 games, 13 goals, 22 assists, 35 points): Although the stats look solid and what some Devils fans say, I was not impressed by Johnsson this year. He got carried by his linemates for most of the year and slowed down. For reference, he had 18 points in 20 games to start the year. Then he has 17 points in the remaining 51 games. Hopefully his inflated stats will boost his trade value

Tomas Tatar (76 games, 15 goals, 15 assists, 30 points): Tatar has been underwhelming this year statistically. However, he is better than his point totals indicate in my opinion. He will be a 3rd liner for us next year and can sometimes play top 6 if need be.

Dougie Hamilton (62 games, 9 goals, 21 assists, 30 points): Hamilton didn't live up to the expectations this year but I mostly blame that with his injury. He was very good prior to his injury producing around a 20 points, 30 games pace. Once he came back, he struggled dealing with his broken jaw and broken toe. I fully expect him rebound next year

Ryan Graves: (75 games, 6 goals, 22 assists, 28 points): Gravy was a solid defensemen for us this year. Nothing really to complain about. I hope he and Dougie take over as the top pair next year. They would complement each other well, Graves being defensive and Dougie being offensive

Jesper Boqvist (56 games, 10 goals, 13 assists, 23 points): Boqvist started the season in the AHL but he soon was given an opportunity in the NHL and ran with it. Boqvist played really well towards the end of the season and I hope he is given that 3C position to start next year. He deserves it.

PK Subban (77 games, 5 goals, 17 assists, 22 points): Subban's tenure on the Devils has not been what we had hoped. His on-ice play on the Devils wasn't great but his off-ice impact goes unnoticed. He was a great locker-room guy for the Devils and helped young guys like Yegor Sharangovich, Ty Smith, Jack Hughes, and Dawson Mercer get settled in. He's not going to be a Devil next year but I'm happy he left a positive impact in the locker room.

Ty Smith (66 games, 5 goals, 15 assists, 20 points): Brutal sophomore slump for Ty Smith. But I mainly attribute his disappointing year to Lindy Ruff who didn't give Smith PP time and played him with PK Subban. who also wasn't good defensively. I hope Devils fans haven't given up on Ty Smith. He's only 22 and could definitely rebound if he plays with a good defensive partner

Michael McLeod: (77 games, 6 goals, 14 assists, 20 points): Not the best year from McLeod offensively but he was still alright defensively. I know Devils were expecting more from our 2016 first round pick but he is what he is at this point. A bottom 6 center who can be great at faceoffs and great defensively and can pitch in 20-30 points.

Janne Kuokkanen (57 games, 6 goals, 11 assists, 17 points): Kuokkanen struggled this year but it looked like a big reason for that was his lingering wrist injury. He played much better post wrist recovery but I still don't expect him to be a big part of our future. He was carried by Hughes in his rookie year

Nate Bastian (60 games, 11 goals, 5 assists, 16 points): I'm surprised Bastian only has 16 points, it seemed like he had a bigger impact offensively than that. I am hoping Bastian and McLeod can be staples in our fourth line in the future, being good defensively, physical, and pitch in 20-30 points offensively

Jimmy Vesey (68 games, 8 goals, 7 assists, 15 points): Although the stats don’t look impressive, Vesey’s season was actually decent. He was good defensively and pitched in offensively. Nice to see him doing well in the NHL after he struggled in his first few years. Unfortunately, I don’t see him coming back to the Devils next year

Jonas Siegenthaler (70 games, 1 goal, 13 assists, 14 points): Impressive breakout year for Siegenthaler. Went from being a 7D to a top 4dman and one of the best defensive players in the league. I have high hopes for him in the future.

Fabian Zetterlund (14 games, 3 goals, 5 assists, 8 points): Zetterlund has had a phenomenal year in Utica and when he was called up, he kept up his great play. Zetterlund’s shot and energy have stood out the most and he definitely could be fighting for a roster spot next year. One of the most underrated prospects in the Devils’ system.

Colton White (27 games, 0 goals, 4 assists, 4 points): White didn’t have much of an impact as the 7D but wasn’t bad by any means. He stepped into the lineup and played solid all around. He could be the 7D next year as well.

Kevin Bahl (17 games, 1 goal, 3 assists, 4 points): Bahl was a solid defensive defensemen in his time in NJ. Didn't expect much from him offensively but I'm glad he scored his first NHL goal against his former club. Maybe he and Smith can be a pairing next year.

Mason Geertsen (25 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points): Mason Geertsen

Nico Daws (10-11-1, 3.11, .893): Very impressive what Nico Daws did at the age of 21. He stepped into a struggling Devils team and took over as the starter and played well. He has a chance of being our goalie for the future.

Mackenzie Blackwood (9-10-4, 3.39, .892): Blackwood struggled this year no doubt but are people forgetting that he was playing through a heel injury all season? He didn’t look 100% and I wouldn’t give up on him just yet after 1 year filled with injuries.

Jon Gillies (3-10-1, 3.76, .885): Gillies didn’t play well at all but we really didn’t have many options. He’s representing the US in the Worlds this summer so that should be interesting. I don’t expect him back next year

Johnathan Bernier (4-4-1, 3.06, .902): Bernier was supposed to be our 1B behind Blackwood this year but unfortunately he got injured. Hip injuries are very serious so I am not sure if he will even return to that same level of play when he comes back. But hoping for the best for Bernier.

Andrew Hammond (1-5-1, 4.66, .860): Hammond also didn’t play well at all for the Devils but didn’t expect anything from him. At least his 1 win came against the Vegas Golden Knights and prevented them from making the playoffs.

Akira Schmid (0-4-0, 4.83, .833): Just like Daws, Schmid was called up to the Devils to try to be the goalie however Schmid did not appear ready at all for the NHL. He’s played well in Utica though so no complaints about him.

Lindy Ruff: Now onto the coaches…I hope Lindy Ruff gets fired. Although some of the players like him, Ruff’s time as the Devils coach has been poor. Devils led the league in most blown leads and he has led to some players such as Ty Smith, Alex Holtz, and Pavel Zacha to have big down years. Devils need a new coach who fits with their style of play

Mark Recchi: Recchi needs to get fired even before Ruff does. The Devils finish bottom 5 in PP percentage despite having talented offensive players. The only reason he has a job is because Jack Hughes carried the powerplay.

Alain Nasreddine: The Devils finish 14th in the league in PK which isn’t bad. I am leaning on Nas staying since he’s been part of the organization for a while and he’s done a decent job with the PK.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg
Bobcat205, SevenLeg, JackForHart and 4 others a aimé ceci.
2 mai 2022 à 15 h 1
Démarrer sujet
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,426
Quoting: justaBoss
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

At least read Mason Geertsen's breakdown
It's very insightful
justaBoss, JackForHart et zk97 a aimé ceci.
2 mai 2022 à 20 h 40
1-0 them
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,074
Quoting: Devil
At least read Mason Geertsen's breakdown
It's very insightful

it’s ok I read it I just can’t write a response as you put all the facts there
18 mai 2022 à 14 h 57
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Devils desperately need to add size and strength throughout their lineup. That's gotta be they focus moving forward. They were way too soft this season. Some of that weakness has to do with their age and inexperience. But, they were way too easy to play against this season.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage