SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Other Leagues

Which Universities are most likely to have a DI Hockey program in the future?

12 avr. 2022 à 14 h 33
Rejoint: avr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,940
By that I'm talking about Universities that have large / successful programs in other sports (Football or Basketball) and either have an infrastructure in place to start a Hockey program or could afford building it up.
14 avr. 2022 à 1 h 13
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436
Quoting: TZ11
By that I'm talking about Universities that have large / successful programs in other sports (Football or Basketball) and either have an infrastructure in place to start a Hockey program or could afford building it up.

Maybe Ohio State?
RichardAvs a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2022 à 9 h 7
Craig Laughlin Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,732

Little out of left field, but perhaps the University of Virginia? I know they have tons of money to spend, are pretty pretentious (which would drive them to possibly build up their existing program), and it’s a fairly large school. Their current program just plays teams from smaller schools like James Madison and George Mason in a league that no one cares about (in fact, their team once followed my house team’s game and only about 20 people showed up for each side cause the league is irrelevant)
TZ11 a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2022 à 10 h 14
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
I doubt they have enough money, but seeing Ohio University (not the Buckeyes, the Bobcats) make a jump to D-1 hockey would be cool.

(no, i'm not biased, why would you think that?)
NoVaSpartan, TZ11, AndrewLadd and 2 others a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2022 à 16 h 9
to be banned soon
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 541
which how popular hockey is becoming in florida i could see either the gators or seminoles getting one at this rate
gary_ a aimé ceci.
15 avr. 2022 à 1 h 3
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 6,441
Quoting: Devil
Maybe Ohio State?

Ohio State has an NCAA d1 program already, both mens and woman’s programs too in fact.
AndrewLadd a aimé ceci.
15 avr. 2022 à 1 h 11
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 6,441
I’d guess it goes to the west coast, Arizona state was the latest team to add. I could see UCLA, Oregon, Washington and Washington state possibly coming soon. Oregon seems the least likely imo but maybe.
TZ11 a aimé ceci.
15 avr. 2022 à 7 h 4
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: avr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,940
Quoting: Ajp_18
I’d guess it goes to the west coast, Arizona state was the latest team to add. I could see UCLA, Oregon, Washington and Washington state possibly coming soon. Oregon seems the least likely imo but maybe.

Yeah, my guess is also West Coast. I'd love a D1 program in California, but I doubt that happens.
Mr_Canoehead a aimé ceci.
15 avr. 2022 à 8 h 2
Rejoint: oct. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,266
Yeah, my guess is also West Coast. I'd love a D1 program in California, but I doubt that happens.

The key is finding a rich hockey-loving booster like Don Mullet.
TZ11 a aimé ceci.
15 avr. 2022 à 10 h 49
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Ohio State has an NCAA d1 program already, both mens and woman’s programs too in fact.

The women’s team just won the natty! I was at the jackets game where they honored that team
Ajp_18 a aimé ceci.
15 avr. 2022 à 15 h 51
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436

I was more so talking about them “building up their program”
Ajp_18 et TZ11 a aimé ceci.
19 avr. 2022 à 8 h 39
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 522
USF (Southern Florida), UT (Texas), UCLA, Rutgers, Washington, Northwestern
TZ11 et CoopsTroops a aimé ceci.
23 avr. 2022 à 9 h 30
From The Hockey News in June 2021: Top 10 NCAA schools that need hockey

University of Texas
University of South Florida
UCLA
Stanford University
North Carolina State
University of Maryland
Rutgers University
University of Washington
UNLV
University of Illinois
TZ11, CoopsTroops, Ajp_18 and 4 others a aimé ceci.
25 avr. 2022 à 3 h 31
Rutta 4ever
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 3,914
Quoting: Mr_Canoehead

I'm a bit biased since that's my alma mater, but I'd love to see it happen.
Our basketball program (men's) is the definition of poverty, so we could probably convert their arena into an ice rink Sticking Out Tongue
I think Vinik (Lightning owner) has a company in charge of managing the Yeungling Center right now, so it almost makes too much sense.

The school heads are in the beginning stages of fundraising $200m+ for an on campus football stadium, so I doubt hockey is remotely close to being a priority idea.

We have had a pretty successful club hockey team for years though, so that's fun I guess.

Quoting: BruinsFan35
USF (Southern Florida)

USF = South Florida not Southern Florida wink
25 avr. 2022 à 10 h 44
Craig Laughlin Fan
From The Hockey News in June 2021: Top 10 NCAA schools that need hockey

University of Texas
UCLA
Stanford University
North Carolina State
University of Maryland
Rutgers University
University of Washington
UNLV
University of Illinois

I Hadn't thought about this one, but it makes a ton of sense as well.

Only problem is, I can't think of an arena in the area that is suited for them. The only one I can think of is Wells Rink, which if anyone cares to google, is a rink that (to my knowledge), still has only 3 genuine walls, and is like a pressure cooker when you play in it. (I swear there was a small amount of standing water when I played there last)

Edit: yeah this pretty much shows that any sort of weather other than cold weather would be awful to play on (http://shopcollegepark.org/wp-content/dg_images/wells1resize-fit-642_428.jpg)
25 avr. 2022 à 10 h 54
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
I Hadn't thought about this one, but it makes a ton of sense as well.

Only problem is, I can't think of an arena in the area that is suited for them. The only one I can think of is Wells Rink, which if anyone cares to google, is a rink that (to my knowledge), still has only 3 genuine walls, and is like a pressure cooker when you play in it. (I swear there was a small amount of standing water when I played there last)

Edit: yeah this pretty much shows that any sort of weather other than cold weather would be awful to play on (http://shopcollegepark.org/wp-content/dg_images/wells1resize-fit-642_428.jpg)

Perhaps there is something in Bethesda as a temporary home, but in reality many of those schools will have to have a booster like ASU did to get things off the ground.
NoVaSpartan a aimé ceci.
25 avr. 2022 à 10 h 58
Craig Laughlin Fan
Perhaps there is something in Bethesda as a temporary home, but in reality many of those schools will have to have a booster like ASU did to get things off the ground.

Not a bad plan. It is pretty far out but in terms of facilities, the Laurel Ice house would work. Just kind of far to go for casual fans.

I think it might be in NHL teams' best interest to fund universities in the US to encourage and build hockey programs. I think the college student group is a gold mine if you do it right (and this works for more than hockey, colleges near me like James Madison and George Mason gained a large following when their respective sports programs finally gained some traction in the community, though more George Mason as they retained a following even after that 2006 Cinderella Final 4 run when they started to suck)
1 mai 2022 à 12 h 57
the great one
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 65
university of the people😂
2 mai 2022 à 15 h 0
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 434
Would love to see a Buffalo Bulls DI hockey program.
25 mai 2022 à 12 h 58
Skip skibbity
Rejoint: oct. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 844

Here's a list I put together a while ago of places i think could support D1 hockey...

Rutgers University, University of Cincinatti, University of Southern California, UCLA, North Carolina State, University of Maryland, University of Washington, University of Illinois, Indiana University, Syracuse University, US Naval Academy, University of Pittsburgh, University of Miami (FL), West Virginia University, Liberty University, Boise State, University of Colorado
Bflo_Soldier a aimé ceci.
26 mai 2022 à 10 h 7
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Highlander1
Here's a list I put together a while ago of places i think could support D1 hockey...

Rutgers University, University of Cincinatti, University of Southern California, UCLA, North Carolina State, University of Maryland, University of Washington, University of Illinois, Indiana University, Syracuse University, US Naval Academy, University of Pittsburgh, University of Miami (FL), West Virginia University, Liberty University, Boise State, University of Colorado

I believe the Naval Academy and Liberty already have d1 programs, though I could be wrong. I know for sure that the Naval academy is a good idea though, and where their team plays currently is a pretty nice facility.
BoringBrianMacLellan a aimé ceci.
26 mai 2022 à 13 h 5
Skip skibbity
I believe the Naval Academy and Liberty already have d1 programs, though I could be wrong. I know for sure that the Naval academy is a good idea though, and where their team plays currently is a pretty nice facility.

They both play D1 ACHA club I'm pretty sure. The school I went to practiced at Libertys facility for the first month of every season (because the friggin rodeo took over our arena every year) and the facility is beautiful. Could 100% support an NCAA D1 team.
NoVaSpartan a aimé ceci.
26 mai 2022 à 13 h 8
Craig Laughlin Fan
They both play D1 ACHA club I'm pretty sure. The school I went to practiced at Libertys facility for the first month of every season (because the friggin rodeo took over our arena every year) and the facility is beautiful. Could 100% support an NCAA D1 team.

I'm interested as to what school had their hockey team kicked out by a rodeo tears of joy , but I would not be surprised if they tried to make a big push in the next few years, given the money they funnel into football and other athletics. I know they already have a bunch of hockey camps that some of my teammates and former teammates have attended, so that could be a start.
BoringBrianMacLellan a aimé ceci.
27 mai 2022 à 13 h 47
Skip skibbity
I'm interested as to what school had their hockey team kicked out by a rodeo tears of joy , but I would not be surprised if they tried to make a big push in the next few years, given the money they funnel into football and other athletics. I know they already have a bunch of hockey camps that some of my teammates and former teammates have attended, so that could be a start.

Any school that played at the Berglund Center in Roanoke (at the time I think it was just Radford University and Virginia Tech) had to deal with the rodeo at the beginning of the season lol
NoVaSpartan a aimé ceci.
27 mai 2022 à 14 h 17
Craig Laughlin Fan
Any school that played at the Berglund Center in Roanoke (at the time I think it was just Radford University and Virginia Tech) had to deal with the rodeo at the beginning of the season lol

Dang, that’s unfortunate tears of joy . Still super cool they play in a genuine arena, unlike some of the other VA universities (JMU first comes to mind, unlucky guys have to play after house hockey games)

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage