SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Petry Deal

1 avr. 2022 à 9 h 50
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 862
I keep seeing MON ACGMs where Detroit is sending a good young player and picks for Petry. That simply isn't happening. Let me explain...

Petry will be 35 toward the start of next season with 2 years left after that, making $6.25M against the cap the whole time. He's got a 15 team no trade list and full NMC. Meanwhile, he's significantly gone down in production this year with a negative GSVA.

If MON wants/needs to deal him, he has negative value to begin with and they have limited places to even be able to move him to with that NTC in a league where so many teams are cash-strapped as it is. This is a classic dump, and a big one at that.
1 avr. 2022 à 9 h 53
Banni
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,154
just saw someone say hes a year removed from norris conversation lmfao
dtd_tank, Billy12Bob et zk97 a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 9 h 53
PlusMinus is stupid
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7,154
Even this, I don't think I'd take. That's a late 1st round pick and Petry looks absolutely cooked to me. That contract is really ugly.
dtd_tank et Billy12Bob a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 9 h 56
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,449
MTL fans are not gonna be happy about this one
Roysboy72, dtd_tank et Billy12Bob a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 9 h 56
yippee
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,171
Woah, is this an actually realistic Petry trade? On CapFriendly? Luckily it's April Fools Day because this has to be a joke.
1 avr. 2022 à 9 h 58
What in tarnation
Quoting: Roysboy72
Woah, is this an actually realistic Petry trade? On CapFriendly? Luckily it's April Fools Day because this has to be a joke.

I wouldn't call it realistic, but I agree that Habs fans need to tone it down with the value expectations.

Or they could just keep him too.
Roysboy72 et Billy12Bob a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 9 h 58
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: justaBoss
MTL fans are not gonna be happy about this one

Boys, I woke up today and chose chaos. tears of joy
Roysboy72, justaBoss et zk97 a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 1
yippee
I wouldn't call it realistic, but I agree that Habs fans need to tone it down with the value expectations.

Or they could just keep him too.

I say realistic in terms of Wings expectations. Habs fans and Wings fans are in different universes when it comes to Petry trade discussions, and I'm honestly very content to let it all burn so that they just stop sending out trades that Detroit would never even consider, let alone accept.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 3
What in tarnation
I say realistic in terms of Wings expectations. Habs fans and Wings fans are in different universes when it comes to Petry trade discussions, and I'm honestly very content to let it all burn so that they just stop sending out trades that Detroit would never even consider, let alone accept.

I'm perfectly content with him being sent to Detroit because I want the Dallas posts to stop in immediate fashion lol.
Roysboy72 et Billy12Bob a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 5
yippee
I'm perfectly content with him being sent to Detroit because I want the Dallas posts to stop in immediate fashion lol.

I think we all just want Habs fans to start loving it and stop listing it when it comes to Petry.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 10
What in tarnation
I think we all just want Habs fans to start loving it and stop listing it when it comes to Petry.

I want them to just keep him. If he is as good they're portraying him there should be no need to deal him further.
Roysboy72, Billy12Bob et zk97 a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 11
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,001
Montreal management was pretty clear that they're only trading Petry because his family wants to be in the US and they're only going to trade him in a deal that makes sense for Montreal. Sure, Habs fans make ridiculous proposals, but this is well beyond all but the worst of those.

Quoting: vr1995
just saw someone say hes a year removed from norris conversation lmfao

https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2021.html

Fans of all stripes have ridiculous expectations, but Habs fans have spent most of this season having their proposals for Lehkonen, Kulak and Chiarot called ridiculous only for them to generally be correct in terms of value.
Roysboy72, dtd_tank et SevenLeg a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 14
yippee
Quoting: Burnout
Montreal management was pretty clear that they're only trading Petry because his family wants to be in the US and they're only going to trade him in a deal that makes sense for Montreal. Sure, Habs fans make ridiculous proposals, but this is well beyond all but the worst of those.

Fans of all stripes have ridiculous expectations, but Habs fans have spent most of this season having their proposals for Lehkonen, Kulak and Chiarot called ridiculous only for them to generally be correct in terms of value.

All I'm saying is that Yzerman trading away a package like Johansson, a 2nd, and a 4th for Petry would probably end my support for the Yzerplan right then and there. Hughes can raise the price on other GMs during the deadline all he wants, but there's no way he's fleecing Yzerman in the offseason.
dtd_tank a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 25
Banni
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,154

being 13th in norris voting is not norris conversation lmao
Billy12Bob a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 27
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,486
It's pretty clear to me that people haven't watched Petry this season. He hasn't declined, he just wants out and people just go with the easy-lazy "he's a cap dump" mentality. Does he make sense for Detroit to trade for? Probably not. But the idea that a team would pay to dump a top 4 RD is quite amusing to me.

This season, including half the season with an AHL-caliber coach

RSmnk9X.png

Last 3 seasons

UiqNXRC.png

The deal isn't the best, but the idea that Red Wings fans are throwing around that it'd cost more than what's proposed above is hilarious, let alone the idea that it'd cost MTL to move him.
justaBoss et zk97 a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 33
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 787
Quoting: SevenLeg
It's pretty clear to me that people haven't watched Petry this season. He hasn't declined, he just wants out and people just go with the easy-lazy "he's a cap dump" mentality. Does he make sense for Detroit to trade for? Probably not. But the idea that a team would pay to dump a top 4 RD is quite amusing to me.

Ive watched almost every game, Petry is good for atleast 2 massive mistakes a game and rarely looks like he's interested in playing hockey at all. I'd sayd a 1st and a 2nd is a bit much but this year has certainly raised some massive question marks around him. I think he still has a lot left to give an wouldnt be shocked to see him put up 45+ points next and be a solid top 4 dman again but any team looking at going after him knows MTL is limited in their options and the habs have no leverage in the deal. Most like cost habs a 2nd to move him maybe a 4th or 5th on top of that to get a team to take his full contract and i'm 100% fine with them doing that.
dtd_tank a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 36
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: habs_need_Scoring
Ive watched almost every game, Petry is good for atleast 2 massive mistakes a game and rarely looks like he's interested in playing hockey at all. I'd sayd a 1st and a 2nd is a bit much but this year has certainly raised some massive question marks around him. I think he still has a lot left to give an wouldnt be shocked to see him put up 45+ points next and be a solid top 4 dman again but any team looking at going after him knows MTL is limited in their options and the habs have no leverage in the deal. Most like cost habs a 2nd to move him maybe a 4th or 5th on top of that to get a team to take his full contract and i'm 100% fine with them doing that.

I'm sincerely appreciative of your honest and candid feedback.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 38
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: habs_need_Scoring

Habs don't have to move him. Teams don't dump their top 4 guys unless they're forced because of the salary cap. Even when he was playing worse under Ducharme (he bounced back significantly) many scouts have said they view Petry as the same player as last year. The contract may remove some of the value that should be attached to Petry, but it's absolutely nowhere near cap-dump level. Just look at what "top 4 RDs" have been traded for recently, from a bad rental Ristolainen to an underperforming Seth Jones.
Roysboy72 et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 38
Evans truther
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,434
I keep seeing ret@rdos writing "MON" instead of "MTL" and I'm not making an ACGM to call them out...
zk97 a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 45
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 469
agreed we will probably have to settle for a 5th like we did with Chiarot
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 45
Hop on the Slaftrain

The fanbase was insulted for months on here and people would make ACGMs just to mock them, like this one, just for those players to be moved for more than what Habs fans proposed on here.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 10 h 55
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 3,001

The thing with all these trades sending him to Detroit for assets is that not one single one of those people doing them have even bothered to look at the Detroit roster or spent even one second thinking about how Petry would fit into Detroit's needs.

Detroit is set on RD for the future, with players 24, 23, and 20 years old. Why would we want to displace one of our young and upcoming players with a 34 year old, utterly overpaid, player that's on a declining slope? Not to mention that he has a contract structured in such a way that he's impervious to being bought out.

Detroit severly lacks talent on LD but we have loads of really exciting prospects. We really need to invest in at least one and probably two really solid defenders to play the left side and that will force us to go with four defenders on the left and three on the right which means that we don't even have room for Petry as a #7 defender. Petry would have to be waived and sent to Grand Rapids if we acquired him.

All that information can be gleaned by looking at the Detroit roster on this site for a mere minute or two. Thinking that Detroit would be a good trading partner for Petry really is delusional. Anyone doing the bare minimum of due diligence will understand that Detroit isn't going to view Petry as anything other than an absolutely massive cap dump and that Detroit will be demanding to be handsomely compensated if they should take him on to the tune of, at least, one 1st round draft pick for each of the remaining years of his contract. That is not a valuation of Petry, it's a valuation of how well Petry fits into the needs Detroit have.

A trade has to fit BOTH teams' needs or it will never be made. Proposing such trades that blatantly break that rule is, frankly, IMHO stupid.
1 avr. 2022 à 11 h 3
All I'm saying is that Yzerman trading away a package like Johansson, a 2nd, and a 4th for Petry would probably end my support for the Yzerplan right then and there. Hughes can raise the price on other GMs during the deadline all he wants, but there's no way he's fleecing Yzerman in the offseason.

Sure, but lets not pretend Johansson, a 2nd, and a 4th is a more ridiculous ask than a potential lottery 1st and a 2nd to take on Petry. Petry is still an above average defender even with the hellish season he's had, and most of his struggles appear to be related to Ducharme's awful coaching and off ice challenges. He hasn't lost his skating/ mobility and his decision making isn't any slower. The idea that he's suddenly the most expensive cap dump in NHL history by orders of magnitude is indefensibly ridiculous.

And lets not pretend that ANY of us actually know what our favourite team's GM will actually do, most people here wouldn't know what a fleece actually was if they were wearing it.
Roysboy72 a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2022 à 11 h 5
yippee
Sure, but lets not pretend Johansson, a 2nd, and a 4th is a more ridiculous ask than a potential lottery 1st and a 2nd to take on Petry. Petry is still an above average defender even with the hellish season he's had, and most of his struggles appear to be related to Ducharme's awful coaching and off ice challenges. He hasn't lost his skating/ mobility and his decision making isn't any slower. The idea that he's suddenly the most expensive cap dump in NHL history by orders of magnitude is indefensibly ridiculous.

And lets not pretend that ANY of us actually know what our favourite team's GM will actually do, most people here wouldn't know what a fleece actually was if they were wearing it.

Yeah, I don't think Petry would cost this much to get rid of even if he was a cap dump, I see this more as a statement to Habs fans from Wings fans telling them to stop trading Petry to Detroit for unreasonable prices over and over again
1 avr. 2022 à 11 h 13
Quoting: Billy12Bob
The thing with all these trades sending him to Detroit for assets is that not one single one of those people doing them have even bothered to look at the Detroit roster or spent even one second thinking about how Petry would fit into Detroit's needs.

Detroit is set on RD for the future, with players 24, 23, and 20 years old. Why would we want to displace one of our young and upcoming players with a 34 year old, utterly overpaid, player that's on a declining slope? Not to mention that he has a contract structured in such a way that he's impervious to being bought out.

Detroit severly lacks talent on LD but we have loads of really exciting prospects. We really need to invest in at least one and probably two really solid defenders to play the left side and that will force us to go with four defenders on the left and three on the right which means that we don't even have room for Petry as a #7 defender. Petry would have to be waived and sent to Grand Rapids if we acquired him.

All that information can be gleaned by looking at the Detroit roster on this site for a mere minute or two. Thinking that Detroit would be a good trading partner for Petry really is delusional. Anyone doing the bare minimum of due diligence will understand that Detroit isn't going to view Petry as anything other than an absolutely massive cap dump and that Detroit will be demanding to be handsomely compensated if they should take him on to the tune of, at least, one 1st round draft pick for each of the remaining years of his contract. That is not a valuation of Petry, it's a valuation of how well Petry fits into the needs Detroit have.

A trade has to fit BOTH teams' needs or it will never be made. Proposing such trades that blatantly break that rule is, frankly, IMHO stupid.

I've followed the NHL long enough to know how patently stupid statements like "[team] is set at [position] in the future" are and how bad an idea going with all young guys at a position is. Yzerman does too, which is why he always liked to sprinkle veterans around in Tampa and has done so in Detroit.

You're also telling on yourself with statements with your assessment of Petry, because my god are you off your rocker. He had a career year last year. He had a terrible 1st half of the season and basically reverted to standard when MSL came in.

You want to go the HF Boards trust the prospect pool rose coloured glasses route? You want to call out Petry proposals that see top prospects going the other way? Ignore reported interest from Detroit? Fine.

But I don't think you could have more clearly demonstrated that you've just looked up Petry's stats a month ago and are drastically contorting to fit that initial analysis. Montreal is likely going to trade Petry because his family wants to be in the US, if they had their choice they'd keep him for obvious reasons.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage