Modifié 20 mars à 16 h 31
I wanted to let everything sink in and read about Hamonic as well as defencemen that went for 3rd round picks recently ...
Before making any judgements ...
And I'm not impressed.
Here's my sort of brief explanation.
1. Hamonic was currently struggling to stay on the Canucks roster and was constantly sent down to Abbotsford in the AHL.
2. When Hamonic had a NMC in 2020-2021 and was in need of an extension, he preferred to stay in Western Canada.
Last time I looked at a map of Canada, Ottawa was in Eastern Canada.
So, I don't think Hamonic wants to stay in Ottawa after next season.
3. This is a small list of defensemen that were traded for 3rd round picks recently and that are all better than Hamonic:
4. Last October, he was placed on waivers and he cleared waivers.
Ottawa refused to claim him.
That should have eliminated his trade value for the season.
5. I am astonished at how Pierre Dorion/Pierre McGuire can think ...
that a player's trade value can go from being worth nothing to being worth a 3rd round pick in just 5 months.
How do they explain that??
6. Why couldn't Dorion/McGuire just acquire Hamonic for future considerations?
The 'future considerations' being that Hamonic would eventually get vaccinated against COVID-19 before joining the team.
It's the reason why Hamonic was placed on waivers and suspended without pay in the first place.
I am a fan of the Ottawa Senators.
I want them to win the Stanley Cup someday.
But I am also a fan of "telling it like it is" and for making good trades.
I voted for the Vancouver Canucks.