Forums/Armchair-GM

Why is this so confusing

Créé par: BestGMBenning
Équipe: 2021-22 Penguins de Pittsburgh
Date de création initiale: 20 mars 2022
Publié: 20 mars 2022
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
It’s confusing because I went through a good amount of Marcus Pettersson’s performance this season and a lot of it has been mostly him being praised. And not only that him and Marino are some of the best shutdown pairing defencemen in the league. And in a recent interview with Sully he mentioned all the good things about Pettersson, which is literally everything he does well. My question is, why the hell scratch him now and suddenly play him top 6 minutes? I can’t see the big picture here if there even is one. It’s also sort of stupid seeing both him and Marino being described as “struggling”. How are they struggling exactly? If it has to do with offence I don’t want to hear any of it. Cause you’re expecting them both to have 15 goals and 40 assists by now forget it. I don’t wanna hear your opinion. Because if that means they have been struggling then I guess Dumo is as well
Rachats de contrats
Enfoui
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de TOR
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
Logo de PIT
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2381 500 000 $75 128 206 $0 $0 $6 371 794 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Penguins de Pittsburgh
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 3
8 700 000 $8 700 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 4
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 1
1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
9 500 000 $9 500 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
2 636 364 $2 636 364 $
AD, C
UFA - 1
3 200 000 $3 200 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 4
2 200 000 $2 200 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 2
1 725 000 $1 725 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
4 875 000 $4 875 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 5
7 250 000 $7 250 000 $
DD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
G
UFA - 2
4 100 000 $4 100 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
4 400 000 $4 400 000 $
DD
UFA - 6
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
G
UFA - 1
4 025 175 $4 025 175 $
DG
UFA - 4
750 000 $750 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
725 000 $725 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
AG, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
20 mars 2022 à 7 h 42
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,372
Maybe Sully is showcasing him?

Edit: Pettersson only played 12:30 yesterday. Never mind.

We'll gladly take him in Detroit. 👍
20 mars 2022 à 8 h 14
Chiggy
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 590
Modifié 20 mars 2022 à 8 h 23
Pettersson and Marino haven't been struggling this year despite the weird narrative being pushed around by guys like Friedman (who has little idea what is happening in Pittsburgh since the management change).

The two have performed well as a shut-down pairing this year. Their defensive impacts are great.

7GKlbvT.png

So why is Pettersson getting healthy scratched and given third-pairing minutes now?

A few factors:

Pettersson is not a powerplay or penalty kill guy, which is a big deal to the coaches in Pittsburgh. They make a lot of lineup decisions based on who's available to PK. When a guy like Mark Friedman is playing well enough to earn a bigger look, the D that comes out is going to be the guy that isn't on the PK.

He's not a traditional heavy shut-down defender that can push guys out of the crease, nor is he dynamic in the offensive zone. I believe this is one of the major concerns with a Marino-Pettersson second pairing. Not enough offense. No one to clear the crease (even if their overall positive impact makes this less necessary) in the playoffs. The Marino-Matheson pairing seems to be an attempt to get some balance here. Matheson is more physical and adds more offense.

The Penguins have three LD making $4+ million, which is too many. It make sense to look into whether they can move one. They desperately need cap space for the offseason. PO Joseph is ready for a spot in the NHL this year or next and has a simliar profile to Pettersson. Tall, skinny, LD that can skate well and plays a solid overall game.

Mike Matheson has been the Penguins best LD this season and has earned a bigger role.

cPjG3N9.png

Mark Friedman (who plays LD despite being a right shot) has been really good in the few games he's played and draws a bunch of penalties by being a pest.

0rOvbzf.png

Dumoulin hasn't been good but is viewed as the default partner for Letang, plays a major PK role, and is unlikely to be traded or given less opportunity. Personally, I would look to be giving Pettersson more ice time on the top pairing to see if that works (and explore trading Dumoulin this year and next) but I can see why they are doing what they are doing.
20 mars 2022 à 15 h 10
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: oct. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 480
Quoting: Chigurrhh
Pettersson and Marino haven't been struggling this year despite the weird narrative being pushed around by guys like Friedman (who has little idea what is happening in Pittsburgh since the management change).

The two have performed well as a shut-down pairing this year. Their defensive impacts are great.

7GKlbvT.png

So why is Pettersson getting healthy scratched and given third-pairing minutes now?

A few factors:

Pettersson is not a powerplay or penalty kill guy, which is a big deal to the coaches in Pittsburgh. They make a lot of lineup decisions based on who's available to PK. When a guy like Mark Friedman is playing well enough to earn a bigger look, the D that comes out is going to be the guy that isn't on the PK.

He's not a traditional heavy shut-down defender that can push guys out of the crease, nor is he dynamic in the offensive zone. I believe this is one of the major concerns with a Marino-Pettersson second pairing. Not enough offense. No one to clear the crease (even if their overall positive impact makes this less necessary) in the playoffs. The Marino-Matheson pairing seems to be an attempt to get some balance here. Matheson is more physical and adds more offense.

The Penguins have three LD making $4+ million, which is too many. It make sense to look into whether they can move one. They desperately need cap space for the offseason. PO Joseph is ready for a spot in the NHL this year or next and has a simliar profile to Pettersson. Tall, skinny, LD that can skate well and plays a solid overall game.

Mike Matheson has been the Penguins best LD this season and has earned a bigger role.

cPjG3N9.png

Mark Friedman (who plays LD despite being a right shot) has been really good in the few games he's played and draws a bunch of penalties by being a pest.

0rOvbzf.png

Dumoulin hasn't been good but is viewed as the default partner for Letang, plays a major PK role, and is unlikely to be traded or given less opportunity. Personally, I would look to be giving Pettersson more ice time on the top pairing to see if that works (and explore trading Dumoulin this year and next) but I can see why they are doing what they are doing.

It just seems a bit crazy to me considering how well they’ve performed this season. I feel like Pettersson could be a penalty killer if given the chance. There’s nothing wrong with our current PK units. I trust with what Sully is doing. But sometimes it just gets confusing.
20 mars 2022 à 15 h 59
Chiggy
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 590
Quoting: BestGMBenning
It just seems a bit crazy to me considering how well they’ve performed this season. I feel like Pettersson could be a penalty killer if given the chance. There’s nothing wrong with our current PK units. I trust with what Sully is doing. But sometimes it just gets confusing.

I kind of think that about him too. Why not give him more opportunity there (other than when a d is in the penalty box)?

But the reality is that Rutherford kinda made a mess out of the situation by getting three LD making $4+ million.
20 mars 2022 à 17 h 20
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: oct. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 480
Quoting: Chigurrhh
I kind of think that about him too. Why not give him more opportunity there (other than when a d is in the penalty box)?

But the reality is that Rutherford kinda made a mess out of the situation by getting three LD making $4+ million.

That’s true. Despite them all being good it just still doesn’t help that they are all paid $4M.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage