SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

San Jose Sharks signed Tomas Hertl (8 Years / $8,137,500 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

16 mars 2022 à 21 h 11
Chris Peralta
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 369
Going to be honest, Hertl is going to waste his career in San Jose
16 mars 2022 à 21 h 57
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,395
Modifié 16 mars 2022 à 22 h 32
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
I swear to god, god is trolling me. I missed the Risto signing, Pavelski signing, Manson trade, Jost and Strum swap, Hertl signing and Chiarot trade.

Next up: Blake Comeau 1x1 extension.

Please dont be sad if you're missing trades by minutes because you have a life smile

Even when you're not here we think about you, see?
EsoYeezus69, sensonfire, TroutJohnson and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
16 mars 2022 à 22 h 3
Grierless Sharks Fan
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 914
Quoting: ricochetii
There's always ways to reduce cap.
Trade Burns for Savard or Karlsson for Petry. (Just examples!) Less cap and term.
You might take a loss at some point, but you don't always have to buy your way out.

You also don't "need" Karlsson $11M when you have Burns for 1RD. Big name shiny new players are nice, but if you're putting an $8-11M D on your 2nd pairing long term, you're doing something wrong.

I think part of their intention to combat the cap issue is bring up some of these ELC players. Plus the theoretical cap increase.

#1 issue is Vlasic. Karlsson's hit is fine with Merkley and some of the other D coming up. Especially if they can move Simek. All depends on the youth movement now which has been promising for the first time in years.
16 mars 2022 à 22 h 35
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 830
Quoting: crankshaft
The NMC is only the first three years.

The only three years he will have trade value.
16 mars 2022 à 22 h 48
Josh
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 276
Say hello to the future captain of the San Hose Sharks ladies and gents.... really tho wtf is Wilson thinking.
16 mars 2022 à 23 h 51
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
I don't think he's worth $8M+ now!!!! 5 years from now? 8 years from now? This is insanity. Hertl is nowhere near p/pg. If he wants too much, let him walk. Sharks are far away from playoff contention anyway.
17 mars 2022 à 3 h 38
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 32
Quoting: ChrisNapoleon
Going to be honest, Hertl is going to waste his career in San Jose

He took jersey in the rafters over Stanley Cup chance.

Standalone contract is about right, but Sharks are beyond cap hell.
17 mars 2022 à 4 h 54
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,923
Quoting: crankshaft
The NMC is only the first three years.

Lol
17 mars 2022 à 7 h 36
Not yet trannycided
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,012
This is what you have to do to keep someone as great as Hertl. But yes, the fact that it goes until he's 36 means that this has a high chance to bite SJS in the ass down the road. Time will tell how this contract ages.
17 mars 2022 à 7 h 57
Let's go Pens!
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 382
They never learn...what a TERRIBLE management by the Sharks!
17 mars 2022 à 8 h 37
Hockey/Caps fan
Rejoint: sept. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 147
If this were 7x7 I might have voted yes.
17 mars 2022 à 9 h 0
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA HERTLS
17 mars 2022 à 11 h 54
Rejoint: déc. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 14
term is a little too long. The price is good. I really just hope it does not turn into a contract like burns karlsson or vlasic.
17 mars 2022 à 11 h 56
TallinnSan Jose
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 22
Quoting: barzalsabeauty
term is a little too long. The price is good. I really just hope it does not turn into a contract like burns karlsson or vlasic.

Karlsson is good now. burns also have good year. i dont see problem.
17 mars 2022 à 11 h 57
TallinnSan Jose
hertl is best player on sharks with timo. dont understand so much dislike for this contract. price is good. maybe 1 year too long but price make sense for player this calibre.
17 mars 2022 à 12 h 39
Quoting: Vladislav_Agaev
Karlsson is good now. burns also have good year. i dont see problem.

all the years Karlson has been on the sharks except this year has been bad defensively. Burns defensive stats the past three years have been bad as well. Don't get me wrong, they are both really good defensemen. But they are both mainly offence at this point.
17 mars 2022 à 12 h 50
TallinnSan Jose
all the years Karlson has been on the sharks except this year has been bad defensively. Burns defensive stats the past three years have been bad as well. Don't get me wrong, they are both really good defensemen. But they are both mainly offence at this point.

they are there for offence thats why they sign big contract. defensive player only sign mid level deal. must have points to get big contract. burns have hard times i agree. coach staff use him way too much he play 30 minutes night each night. i cant blame burns for coach decision
17 mars 2022 à 18 h 41
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 157
hertl is best player on sharks with timo. dont understand so much dislike for this contract. price is good. maybe 1 year too long but price make sense for player this calibre.

I'm pretty sure most people agree that the price isn't too bad for him. The main issue is the Sharks, given their current position, shouldn't be giving a long expensive contract to a 28 year old. They're likely not competing for a few years and by the time they're ready to compete he'll be even older. The value's about right (and potentially a bit of an underpay) currently, but by the time they're ready to compete he'll likely be worth less than that amount. The alternative was trading him and using the assets to accelerate a rebuild.
17 mars 2022 à 18 h 50
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,439
The sharks are just holding him hostage at this point
17 mars 2022 à 20 h 43
they are there for offence thats why they sign big contract. defensive player only sign mid level deal. must have points to get big contract. burns have hard times i agree. coach staff use him way too much he play 30 minutes night each night. i cant blame burns for coach decision

Defensive players only get midlevel deals HAHAHAHAHAHAH: Pelech (Eight years this year) Shea weber (14 years 2012) Seth Jones (Eight years next year) Vlasic ( Eight years 2018) and a lot more. And yes, Burns is being played way too much for his age and athletic ability.
18 mars 2022 à 6 h 28
Watches no games
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 976
Modifié 18 mars 2022 à 6 h 38
I believe Hertl top be like a top 15 or so C in the NHL. He's really good. We can round up to 9 mil for all I care.

But why are the Sharks doing this? What are they hoping to accomplish?

Edit: top 10C
Edit 2: I guess the problem is people don't recognize Hertl as one and they would be underpaid in any trade. At the same time - if you can't offload other players, your hand is kind of forced.
18 mars 2022 à 9 h 31
TallinnSan Jose
Defensive players only get midlevel deals HAHAHAHAHAHAH: Pelech (Eight years this year) Shea weber (14 years 2012) Seth Jones (Eight years next year) Vlasic ( Eight years 2018) and a lot more. And yes, Burns is being played way too much for his age and athletic ability.

athletic ability not question, hes fit like machine. of course elite defensive guy get more but most defensive guy not elite. burns still #13 points for defenseman. shelter his minutes little more and he easy top 10. gm learn lesson after vlasic contract. ferraro might get big deal but has offense upside too. you see regret from weber and jones deal. vlasic deal bad but he former olympic former best shutdown defense in all league,
18 mars 2022 à 9 h 38
TallinnSan Jose
Modifié 18 mars 2022 à 9 h 45
Quoting: MelonVK
I believe Hertl top be like a top 15 or so C in the NHL. He's really good. We can round up to 9 mil for all I care.

But why are the Sharks doing this? What are they hoping to accomplish?

Edit: top 10C
Edit 2: I guess the problem is people don't recognize Hertl as one and they would be underpaid in any trade. At the same time - if you can't offload other players, your hand is kind of forced.

interim gm joe will say he want shark to compete next year. i think other big move coming in summer to help team be playoff. rebuild not possible for 2 reason:
1) contracts too many big.
2) attendance. shark dont have comfort like chicago, philly, boston, pitt, new york etc to spend years rebuild. friedman say sharks skittish about rebuild cause once you lose fan in sj hard to get back. attendance is already lowest since 2003 and time is limited. cant take year and year to get top picks. shark must compete to stay relevant or fan move to something else. this business too not just hockey
3) hertl biggest player since thornton and pavelski. lose hertl-lose another thousand tickets maybe more. bad for shark business.

i think deal fair with money. maybe a year too long but shark need hertl more than anyone. eklund also already big in sj. timo too. 48-38-88-28-65-72 all new core. cant lose that core or lose all revenue. Logan not big favorite in shark fan. he never live up to pavelski
18 mars 2022 à 9 h 47
TallinnSan Jose
Quoting: jamnjon
I'm pretty sure most people agree that the price isn't too bad for him. The main issue is the Sharks, given their current position, shouldn't be giving a long expensive contract to a 28 year old. They're likely not competing for a few years and by the time they're ready to compete he'll be even older. The value's about right (and potentially a bit of an underpay) currently, but by the time they're ready to compete he'll likely be worth less than that amount. The alternative was trading him and using the assets to accelerate a rebuild.

i make long reasoning to another comment. look one above. it make sense. people not in sj may not understand. this business and shark owner who is rich german guy need shark to make money. understandable it business.
18 mars 2022 à 12 h 58
Watches no games
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 976
interim gm joe will say he want shark to compete next year. i think other big move coming in summer to help team be playoff. rebuild not possible for 2 reason:
1) contracts too many big.
2) attendance. shark dont have comfort like chicago, philly, boston, pitt, new york etc to spend years rebuild. friedman say sharks skittish about rebuild cause once you lose fan in sj hard to get back. attendance is already lowest since 2003 and time is limited. cant take year and year to get top picks. shark must compete to stay relevant or fan move to something else. this business too not just hockey
3) hertl biggest player since thornton and pavelski. lose hertl-lose another thousand tickets maybe more. bad for shark business.

i think deal fair with money. maybe a year too long but shark need hertl more than anyone. eklund also already big in sj. timo too. 48-38-88-28-65-72 all new core. cant lose that core or lose all revenue. Logan not big favorite in shark fan. he never live up to pavelski

I'm just thinking as an option - trade him for some up and coming star. You don't even have to involve picks, just trade him for an exciting, young name you can market instead. And just in some sense stop digging your own grave 3 years down the line. I believe Hertl will be a net positive at this money, but you can never use him meaningfully.

If ticket sales are tanking I think thats even more reason to pull a stop to this madness. Where will tickets be in 3 years? or 5? if you can't handle that, you need to sell while there's still something left to sell.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage