SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

It is time to face the facts.

14 mars 2022 à 13 h 35
Go Leafs Go!
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 18
Is it possible that Leafs can outscore their defensive liabilities to win a 2022 cup?

We all know it, even if we won’t admit it aloud... the way this team is built has too many problems and no space to fix them. So why practice poor asset management when you know you are defeated. Being an original 6 team can be a curse. It took bravery for Shannan to “scorched-earth,” recalling he said, “we will have patience and do it the right way”. Well, it’s becoming more apparent that the right way now is a mini-retreat. I don’t like it, and I would never have agreed to it then, but if we fail to read the signs, we will watch all that promise we felt early in the rebuild continue to fade away until nothing is left but an empty barn. Another sad truth we must all face is the Tavares signing disrupted the PLAN and is now the cap-clamp that is ailing this team. Our scorched-earth-pain earned us Matthews, Marner, and Nylander; they are our true core we must face it before it is too late.

Johnny must go now, not in the offseason. I fear the cost otherwise!
14 mars 2022 à 15 h 28
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
email this to steve simmons at the toronto sun if you want to see it printed verbatim in a newspaper
BigDaddyOvech, Saskleaf, DucharmetheDOMinator and 3 others a aimé ceci.
14 mars 2022 à 21 h 43
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Modifié 15 mars 2022 à 1 h 1
Toronto at the TDL

1. Bury Mrazek
2. Trade for a new backup goalie (Forsberg or Vajmelka)
3. Trade for one of Giordano or Demelo
4. Trade for a depth forward or two (Namestnikov, Ennis, Hinostroza, Sheahan, Donato, etc.)

And once healthy

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Kase-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-Brassard-Spezza
Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev

Rielly-Demelo
Muzzin-Brodie
Sandin-Lybushkin

Campbell
Forsberg

Extras: Simmonds, Liligren
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
15 mars 2022 à 12 h 1
Démarrer sujet
Go Leafs Go!
Quoting: mondo
email this to steve simmons at the toronto sun if you want to see it printed verbatim in a newspaper

Ok, I don't claim to know Steve Simmons nor do I claim I could write for the Toronto Sun so I'm not sure what to say to this. I'm just expressing my view about the team I have been watching for 45 years now.
15 mars 2022 à 12 h 8
Démarrer sujet
Go Leafs Go!
Quoting: aadoyle
Toronto at the TDL

1. Bury Mrazek
2. Trade for a new backup goalie (Forsberg or Vajmelka)
3. Trade for one of Giordano or Demelo
4. Trade for a depth forward or two (Namestnikov, Ennis, Hinostroza, Sheahan, Donato, etc.)

Sorry aadoyle, we well-seasoned Leaf fans know this type of trading only leaves the Trophy Shelf as empty as the Barn.
15 mars 2022 à 14 h 21
Craig Laughlin Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,707
Quoting: PJ_Acorn
Ok, I don't claim to know Steve Simmons nor do I claim I could write for the Toronto Sun so I'm not sure what to say to this. I'm just expressing my view about the team I have been watching for 45 years now.

He's just saying that your opinion matches up incredibly well with how Steve Simmons would think.

As for your reasoning, I think it's an interesting avenue to consider, especially for me as an outside observer. I've said before that certain teams in the NHL could go towards the current Washington Nationals style of rebuild, as a "speed rebuild", and I think Toronto has the assets to pull it off. Tavares, while I can't see him getting the price he might deserve on the trade market, could still garner good picks from a team looking to make a splash (while it likely wouldn't fit their timeline, I would look at Seattle as a example). It would certainly be a challenge for Dubas, but as the clock is likely ticking on this team anyway, so this may be their best bet.

But this is also an outsiders perspective, so I will be the first to admit I'm not super familiar with what Toronto is planning on doing.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
15 mars 2022 à 16 h 22
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Sorry aadoyle, we well-seasoned Leaf fans know this type of trading only leaves the Trophy Shelf as empty as the Barn.

Not really

How do we know that. You from the future.

St. Louis went from last place in the NHL to a cup after calling up a young goalie after Allen and Hutton were not getting the job done

Leafs main issue rn goaltending. Go get someone to replace Mrazek and get a healthy Campbell back your set.

If no injuries happen in the post season and the team plays like they did at the start of the year easily see them winning a round. Especially with how Matthews has been playing.

Dont need to win a cup rn. Just win a round or two and thats progress.

If Dubas brings in guys with term and what I said above happens nobody will complain. But the following year better results will be expected and thats when the teams got to step up. Heck we have seen 2 Cinderella runs from lesser teams in the past 2 years. So in general nobody can predict how far a team will go

Tampa got swept by Columbus after tying an NHL record lul. Thats how unpredictable the playoffs are.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
15 mars 2022 à 21 h 48
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,462
Is it possible that Leafs can outscore their defensive liabilities to win a 2022 cup?

We all know it, even if we won’t admit it aloud... the way this team is built has too many problems and no space to fix them. So why practice poor asset management when you know you are defeated. Being an original 6 team can be a curse. It took bravery for Shannan to “scorched-earth,” recalling he said, “we will have patience and do it the right way”. Well, it’s becoming more apparent that the right way now is a mini-retreat. I don’t like it, and I would never have agreed to it then, but if we fail to read the signs, we will watch all that promise we felt early in the rebuild continue to fade away until nothing is left but an empty barn. Another sad truth we must all face is the Tavares signing disrupted the PLAN and is now the cap-clamp that is ailing this team. Our scorched-earth-pain earned us Matthews, Marner, and Nylander; they are our true core we must face it before it is too late.

Well forget about NMC Tavares waiving.

I kinda liked what Shanahan and Lou did to build a good foundation after years of horrid Leaf management. But in the past few years Shanahan and his high priced executive has been MIA. Terrible signings, such as Marleau and now Muzzin looks putrid. Giving away draft choices without any improving the team Even worse were the contracts negotiated with Matthews, and Marner and I sure looks like Mrzarek is another.
16 mars 2022 à 21 h 48
Démarrer sujet
Go Leafs Go!
Quoting: aadoyle
Not really

How do we know that. You from the future.

St. Louis went from last place in the NHL to a cup after calling up a young goalie after Allen and Hutton were not getting the job done

Leafs main issue rn goaltending. Go get someone to replace Mrazek and get a healthy Campbell back your set.

If no injuries happen in the post season and the team plays like they did at the start of the year easily see them winning a round. Especially with how Matthews has been playing.

Dont need to win a cup rn. Just win a round or two and thats progress.

If Dubas brings in guys with term and what I said above happens nobody will complain. But the following year better results will be expected and thats when the teams got to step up. Heck we have seen 2 Cinderella runs from lesser teams in the past 2 years. So in general nobody can predict how far a team will go

Tampa got swept by Columbus after tying an NHL record lul. Thats how unpredictable the playoffs are.

I remember feeling as you do about this team. I just can't convince myself anymore that maybes are good enough. That said you keep your stick on the Ice!
16 mars 2022 à 21 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Go Leafs Go!
Quoting: palhal
Well forget about NMC Tavares waiving.

I kinda liked what Shanahan and Lou did to build a good foundation after years of horrid Leaf management. But in the past few years Shanahan and his high priced executive has been MIA. Terrible signings, such as Marleau and now Muzzin looks putrid. Giving away draft choices without any improving the team Even worse were the contracts negotiated with Matthews, and Marner and I sure looks like Mrzarek is another.

I agree with everything but the Matthews contract that was happening either way.
BTW Was Boyle really worth a 2nd round pick.
16 mars 2022 à 22 h 37
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,462
I agree with everything but the Matthews contract that was happening either way.
BTW Was Boyle really worth a 2nd round pick.

In the summer before he signed mid season, apparently the Matthews camp offered the Leafs 9.5m X 5. Leafs were holding out for long term deal. Six months later they signed Matthews to five year deal at 11.6m. That 2.1m extra cap sure would come in handy. I still question if....at the time of signing whether Matthews deserved to paid the second highest player in the league....especially when he took shorter term that Hart winner McDavid.
25 mars 2022 à 12 h 0
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 539

I agree that of their top players, Tavares is probably the one who’s delivering the least value for the money, and as the oldest he would be the best one to move, but he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. He’s a local boy living his childhood dream of captaining the Leafs, and he made sure he got a contract that lets him live that dream for as long as he wants. No-move for the full duration, and most of the pay is in signing bonuses so it would save them only a few hundred thousand to buy him out. Those are the facts we have to face.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
27 mars 2022 à 17 h 20
Démarrer sujet
Go Leafs Go!
Quoting: jr400
I agree that of their top players, Tavares is probably the one who’s delivering the least value for the money, and as the oldest he would be the best one to move, but he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. He’s a local boy living his childhood dream of captaining the Leafs, and he made sure he got a contract that lets him live that dream for as long as he wants. No-move for the full duration, and most of the pay is in signing bonuses so it would save them only a few hundred thousand to buy him out. Those are the facts we have to face.

The signing bonus makes it easier to trade him! But I hear the logic you are suggesting here.
1 août 2022 à 12 h 0
Démarrer sujet
Go Leafs Go!

Still Agree today! Tavares needs to go!
2 août 2022 à 13 h 14
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169

no one cares
Saskleaf, aadoyle et BigDaddyOvech a aimé ceci.
2 août 2022 à 19 h 9
v5 Minnesota GM
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 4,682

I agree
But I want him to stay
Fortunately, every passing year the leafs have Tavares, they will win nada
Just how the cap is 🤷‍♂️
PJ_Acorn a aimé ceci.
2 août 2022 à 22 h 14
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 539
The signing bonus makes it easier to trade him!

I assume that’s because the Leafs would pay the bonus for the upcoming season before they trade him, leaving the team that acquires him on the hook for only his $910,000 base salary for that season. Another “tradeable” aspect of his contract is that it’s front-loaded, so even with the bonus he’s now earning a more reasonable $7.95M per season. But these things make a difference only to a team that cares more about the cash than the cap hit. There aren’t many of those, and he probably wouldn’t waive his no-move clause to go to one of them.

Like it or not, he's going to be in Toronto for three more years. He has total control. There's nothing the team can do.
PJ_Acorn a aimé ceci.
7 août 2022 à 3 h 15
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,601
Quoting: jr400
I assume that’s because the Leafs would pay the bonus for the upcoming season before they trade him, leaving the team that acquires him on the hook for only his $910,000 base salary for that season. Another “tradeable” aspect of his contract is that it’s front-loaded, so even with the bonus he’s now earning a more reasonable $7.95M per season. But these things make a difference only to a team that cares more about the cash than the cap hit. There aren’t many of those, and he probably wouldn’t waive his no-move clause to go to one of them.

Like it or not, he's going to be in Toronto for three more years. He has total control. There's nothing the team can do.

There's more teams in the league who care about actual money being paid vs what the cap hit is. COVID has done more damage to owners who do care about actual money than owners like MLSE.
PJ_Acorn a aimé ceci.
17 août 2022 à 17 h 48
Démarrer sujet
Go Leafs Go!
Quoting: oneX
There's more teams in the league who care about actual money being paid vs what the cap hit is. COVID has done more damage to owners who do care about actual money than owners like MLSE.

Valid observation.
oneX a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage