Forums/Armchair-GM

Thoughts on a Giordano Trade at TDL

Créé par: rja
Équipe: 2021-22 Rangers de New York
Date de création initiale: 17 févr. 2022
Publié: 17 févr. 2022
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I'm assuming NYR are looking for defensive depth help (and there are rumors that this is the case). If so, maybe they'd like a veteran with experience to play the third play with one of the younger defensemen? I would expect them to be hesitant to run an all rookie third pair if they want to at least try to make a cup run. This trade allows NYR to bring in that experienced vet in the locker room and also is a bit forward thinking by helping them on the books for next year. Nemeth does have a 8 team no trade list, but it's looking more and more likely that he won't be playing much in New York much longer, and Seattle is a place where he can get the ice time.

Let me know your thoughts!
Transactions
NYR
  1. Giordano, Mark (2 500 000 $ retained)
  2. Choix de 7e ronde en 2022 (SEA)
SEA
  1. Nemeth, Patrik
  2. Skinner, Hunter
  3. Choix de 2e ronde en 2022 (NYR)
Détails additionnels:
Instead of Skinner, could be Robertson; the second rounder is the later of the two between STL and NYR.
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de NYR
Logo de STL
Logo de NYR
Logo de WPG
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de SEA
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2481 500 000 $71 965 594 $0 $7 950 000 $9 534 406 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Rangers de New York
6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
AG
NMC
UFA - 6
5 350 000 $5 350 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 650 000 $$3M)
AD
RFA - 1
11 642 857 $11 642 857 $
AG
NMC
UFA - 5
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 1
3 641 667 $3 641 667 $
C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 6
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 850 000 $$3M)
AG, AD
RFA - 2
2 300 000 $2 300 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 2
775 000 $775 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
762 500 $762 500 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
C
UFA - 1
1 750 000 $1 750 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
AG, AD
RFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
DG
RFA - 3
8 000 000 $8 000 000 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 5
5 666 667 $5 666 667 $
G
UFA - 4
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance350 000 $$350K)
DG
RFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
DD
UFA - 1
2 425 000 $2 425 000 $
G
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
DG
RFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance400 000 $$400K)
DD
RFA - 3
874 125 $874 125 $
DG
UFA - 1
Logo de Kraken de Seattle
875 000 $875 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
17 févr. 2022 à 19 h 7
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,278
I hate this notion that they are a trade away from winning. There’s very little playoff experience with the majority of this roster. I can’t wait for people to start complaining when they get bounced in 4-5 games in the 1st round. Like be realistic and take off the blinders.
17 févr. 2022 à 19 h 10
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 172
Quoting: HOCKEYBOY448
I hate this notion that they are a trade away from winning. There’s very little playoff experience with the majority of this roster. I can’t wait for people to start complaining when they get bounced in 4-5 games in the 1st round. Like be realistic and take off the blinders.

I think that's very fair, but if they are thinking about making a push and/or trying to build a winning culture, maybe bringing in Giordano would be helpful to those younger players? I feel like this would be the type of guy that can help in more ways than on the ice.
DontheGoat a aimé ceci.
17 févr. 2022 à 19 h 56
B
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,423

We can go on a serious run easily. Igor+++, anything can happen. 100% right, don't waste precious assets on rentals! Package the excess for elc C at least.
HOCKEYBOY448 a aimé ceci.
17 févr. 2022 à 19 h 57
B
It'll cost that just to dump Nemethis
17 févr. 2022 à 20 h 58
Quoting: Fox_Czar_Cup
We can go on a serious run easily. Igor+++, anything can happen. 100% right, don't waste precious assets on rentals! Package the excess for elc C at least.

This is my point exactly. Don’t think short term. If it was for a young cheap center I could certainly get behind making a big deal. But the idea of trading multiple young assets for guys close to 30 and making the team older completely defeats the purpose of this so called rebuild. At that rate if that’s the strategy, may as well trade Kakko, Schneider, Laf, Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, Jones and Othmann and 2-3 1sts and just go all in this year and next year. After that we’d just be a middling team with nothing in the development system.
17 févr. 2022 à 21 h 49
B
This is my point exactly. Don’t think short term. If it was for a young cheap center I could certainly get behind making a big deal. But the idea of trading multiple young assets for guys close to 30 and making the team older completely defeats the purpose of this so called rebuild. At that rate if that’s the strategy, may as well trade Kakko, Schneider, Laf, Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, Jones and Othmann and 2-3 1sts and just go all in this year and next year. After that we’d just be a middling team with nothing in the development system.

Next years Play Cap: *8m for 2 Forwards*(preferably Cs or a RW), 9m for 3 Fs also works. The rest are elc/min. So no Boeser, JTM, Josh(not John)Anderson... or temps.
Gone by then: Chytil, Nils, Kravtsov, Gauthier, Georgiev, Nemethis.
Drury knows winning and his stamp here is underappreciated, for now. Highly doubt he's blowing a load on that MTL stuff
HOCKEYBOY448 a aimé ceci.
1 mars 2022 à 18 h 24
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Fox_Czar_Cup

Apologies, but struggling to see what I offered that would be considered "precious" for NYR. I think it's more than realistic that for the next 4 years the right side of the defense will be Fox Trouba and Schneider (assuming Schneider is bridged), so moving Skinner is not going to ruin the farm. Skinner is already 22 and every year where he sits in the AHL his value declines. I think he's a good asset but realistically he's not going to be a staple in the NYR lineup and I don't think you're getting stand-alone value for him, so moving him along with a contract you want to be rid of is a solid move. By the time Skinner would get a substantial opportunity, he'll be 26 and 1 year away from UFA where he'll likely walk. Additionally, NYR can afford to move one (NOT BOTH) of the second rounders they have in this draft; looking long-term, regardless of whether the pick is a forward or defenseman, he will probably not be able to crack the lineup (he's going to compete with all the young players currently on the roster, the other early picks from this year, and also the likes of Othmann, Cullye, Robertson and Lundkvist, just to name a few). And you could argue that whoever that pick becomes has value, but again, you run into that same problem where he'll sit in the AHL and his stock will depreciate if he doesn't crack the lineup.

We can agree to disagree what the cost of moving Nemeth would be, but I'm basing it off of precedent (which is usually how GMs operate) so see the Staal trade to DET and I think you can see that it comports with this offer.

Can you list some names of top 6-top 9 ELC centers that teams are willing to move? That NYR will be able to afford in the next couple of years? I think NYR are going to extend Strome in any event.

I think you're 100% right when you stated above that players that have high salaries with term currently in the league are players NYR should avoid, because it creates a cap crisis in the near future and possibly down the road, too. But I think getting veterans on expiring contracts is sending a message to the players in the locker room that you are are investing them and want to create a winning culture. I think so long as you keep this year's first rounder and one of the second rounders, you can spend some of the assets you've accumulated (that's the point of rebuilding and accumulating assets in the first place!).

And lastly, it's possible (but I'll admit unlikely) that when you bring in some older veterans that can still play (like a Giordano or a Pavelski) that they may believe that signing with NYR on cheaper 1 year deals next year could be their best chance to win a cup, so bringing them in and giving them every opportunity to "drink the cool-aid" might give you another year of them.

I understand that giving up assets for rentals is risky, but NYR have put themselves in a position to take risks; otherwise you end up like the Kings with a bunch of good prospects that will depreciate in the AHL because there are log jams across the roster.
2 mars 2022 à 21 h 41
Quoting: rja
Apologies, but struggling to see what I offered that would be considered "precious" for NYR. I think it's more than realistic that for the next 4 years the right side of the defense will be Fox Trouba and Schneider (assuming Schneider is bridged), so moving Skinner is not going to ruin the farm. Skinner is already 22 and every year where he sits in the AHL his value declines. I think he's a good asset but realistically he's not going to be a staple in the NYR lineup and I don't think you're getting stand-alone value for him, so moving him along with a contract you want to be rid of is a solid move. By the time Skinner would get a substantial opportunity, he'll be 26 and 1 year away from UFA where he'll likely walk. Additionally, NYR can afford to move one (NOT BOTH) of the second rounders they have in this draft; looking long-term, regardless of whether the pick is a forward or defenseman, he will probably not be able to crack the lineup (he's going to compete with all the young players currently on the roster, the other early picks from this year, and also the likes of Othmann, Cullye, Robertson and Lundkvist, just to name a few). And you could argue that whoever that pick becomes has value, but again, you run into that same problem where he'll sit in the AHL and his stock will depreciate if he doesn't crack the lineup.

We can agree to disagree what the cost of moving Nemeth would be, but I'm basing it off of precedent (which is usually how GMs operate) so see the Staal trade to DET and I think you can see that it comports with this offer.

Can you list some names of top 6-top 9 ELC centers that teams are willing to move? That NYR will be able to afford in the next couple of years? I think NYR are going to extend Strome in any event.

I think you're 100% right when you stated above that players that have high salaries with term currently in the league are players NYR should avoid, because it creates a cap crisis in the near future and possibly down the road, too. But I think getting veterans on expiring contracts is sending a message to the players in the locker room that you are are investing them and want to create a winning culture. I think so long as you keep this year's first rounder and one of the second rounders, you can spend some of the assets you've accumulated (that's the point of rebuilding and accumulating assets in the first place!).

And lastly, it's possible (but I'll admit unlikely) that when you bring in some older veterans that can still play (like a Giordano or a Pavelski) that they may believe that signing with NYR on cheaper 1 year deals next year could be their best chance to win a cup, so bringing them in and giving them every opportunity to "drink the cool-aid" might give you another year of them.

I understand that giving up assets for rentals is risky, but NYR have put themselves in a position to take risks; otherwise you end up like the Kings with a bunch of good prospects that will depreciate in the AHL because there are log jams across the roster.

We will have to agree to disagree here. They aren’t gonna win anything this year and wasting assets on rentals or older players will not do anything meaningful for them. This team is getting lit up in the 1st round. They need experience in the playoffs for any meaningful run. They’re realistically a year or 2 out from when they should actually make moves like this. Anything sooner is premature imo. Obviously they most likely will make a stupid trade or few of them and it’ll be pointless.
4 mars 2022 à 21 h 16
Démarrer sujet
We will have to agree to disagree here. They aren’t gonna win anything this year and wasting assets on rentals or older players will not do anything meaningful for them. This team is getting lit up in the 1st round. They need experience in the playoffs for any meaningful run. They’re realistically a year or 2 out from when they should actually make moves like this. Anything sooner is premature imo. Obviously they most likely will make a stupid trade or few of them and it’ll be pointless.

Regardless of wherever you think this team will finish, you probably want to build a winning culture, and I think sometimes that may cost a few expendable assets. I agree with you that it's doubtful they'll make a deep run, but maybe they grab a couple of rentals and they can win a round? I think it sends the wrong kind of message to the locker room to sit there and do nothing. That being said, that first rounder they have should be kept at all costs. That I think we can agree on.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage