SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Pittsburgh Penguins

Is Hextall going to keep the Pens in contention status, and will he get let go once the contention window has closed

10 févr. 2022 à 4 h 3
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,630
If Hextall has a reputation for not listening to his scouts, that doesn't bode well for the Pens prospect pool which is one of if not the weakest in the league as it is
palhal a aimé ceci.
22 août 2022 à 18 h 48
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,466
Resigning the same aging players to contracts to the team who hasn't made it out of the first round in years, doesn't bode well for the future.
Never mind the very weak prospects the Pens have. Not having NHL ready players on ELCs just destroys the cap.
29 août 2022 à 9 h 49
Banni
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,536
Quoting: Knuckl3s
If Hextall has a reputation for not listening to his scouts, that doesn't bode well for the Pens prospect pool which is one of if not the weakest in the league as it is

It doesn't bode well at all. JR auctioned off so many of the Pens' 1st and 2nd round picks through his tenure, so it would have been a miracle to even be middle of the pack considering the fact that drafting is basically a gamble after the 2nd round. I mean, it's pretty much a gamble in the 2nd round itself, but even more so after that.

All this to be said, the Pickering selection was a solid one.
29 août 2022 à 14 h 42
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
It doesn't bode well at all. JR auctioned off so many of the Pens' 1st and 2nd round picks through his tenure, so it would have been a miracle to even be middle of the pack considering the fact that drafting is basically a gamble after the 2nd round. I mean, it's pretty much a gamble in the 2nd round itself, but even more so after that.

All this to be said, the Pickering selection was a solid one.

Yeah, I like that selection for them as well, but if Hextall's track record is any indication, rebuilding the prospect pipeline might still be in progress even after Crosby has retired
29 août 2022 à 15 h 12
Banni
Yeah, I like that selection for them as well, but if Hextall's track record is any indication, rebuilding the prospect pipeline might still be in progress even after Crosby has retired

I'm not trying to make excuses for Hextall and trust me, I've been a critic of his as of late, but drafting is SUCH a hard thing to put on a GM or even scouts. It's very easy to look at a GM and show the lack of prospects that developed into NHL talents, but it's such a huge gamble in the NHL. The NHL probability even from the top half of the 1st round to the bottom half is drastically different.

All this to be said, the Pens will be picking late in every round for the next few years, so the chances of getting good talent is already an uphill battle. The real part of the rebuild won't come until Sid is out and the Pens are drafting in the top-ten for a few years.

The Pens may also just become the Knights. This ownership wants to continue to contend, so for all we know they may go out and buy talent and still be stuck drafting like crap.
29 août 2022 à 15 h 33
Démarrer sujet
Banni
I'm not trying to make excuses for Hextall and trust me, I've been a critic of his as of late, but drafting is SUCH a hard thing to put on a GM or even scouts. It's very easy to look at a GM and show the lack of prospects that developed into NHL talents, but it's such a huge gamble in the NHL. The NHL probability even from the top half of the 1st round to the bottom half is drastically different.

All this to be said, the Pens will be picking late in every round for the next few years, so the chances of getting good talent is already an uphill battle. The real part of the rebuild won't come until Sid is out and the Pens are drafting in the top-ten for a few years.

The Pens may also just become the Knights. This ownership wants to continue to contend, so for all we know they may go out and buy talent and still be stuck drafting like crap.

Fenway sports group doesn't strike me as the reactionary type the way Bill Foley is. Not denying that mining talent in the draft is still an uphill battle, but I dunno about picking super late in the 1st round, cause I don't see the Pens being anymore than a team that routinely finishes 3rd-4th in the Metro so long as Crosby is around

I will also say that Hextall has a very high bar to face when it comes to player development, because the developmental system that Rutherford previously had in place was arguably the gold standard in the NHL. Guys like Bryan Rust, Teddy Blueger, Zach Ashton-Reese, and even Jake Guentzel to a degree were all products of it to name a few. Now Rutherford + Allvin are trying to instill something similar with Vancouver
29 août 2022 à 15 h 44
Banni
Fenway sports group doesn't strike me as the reactionary type the way Bill Foley is. Not denying that mining talent in the draft is still an uphill battle, but I dunno about picking super late in the 1st round, cause I don't see the Pens being anymore than a team that routinely finishes 3rd-4th in the Metro so long as Crosby is around

I will also say that Hextall has a very high bar to face when it comes to player development, because the developmental system that Rutherford previously had in place was arguably the gold standard in the NHL. Guys like Bryan Rust, Teddy Blueger, Zach Ashton-Reese, and even Jake Guentzel to a degree were all products of it to name a few. Now Rutherford + Allvin are trying to instill something similar with Vancouver

Rust, Blueger and Jake were all drafted under Shero. ZAR I believe was undrafted, but yes, he was signed by JR.

Fenway may not be reactionary, but it's widely reported they want to continue to contend for a long time. The Pens will finish 2nd-4th in the metro, but also realize that the Metro is still arguably the most competitive division in the league and they're still likely to draft in the bottom ten to fifteen.
29 août 2022 à 15 h 55
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Rust, Blueger and Jake were all drafted under Shero. ZAR I believe was undrafted, but yes, he was signed by JR.

Fenway may not be reactionary, but it's widely reported they want to continue to contend for a long time. The Pens will finish 2nd-4th in the metro, but also realize that the Metro is still arguably the most competitive division in the league and they're still likely to draft in the bottom ten to fifteen.

Drafting in the 15-21 range isn't bad, and if Fenway believes the team can contend for a long time, they're only kidding themselves. The Pens are not a cup contender as currently constructed, nor are they positioned to improve back into one over the remainder of Crosby's career. No way the Pens are able to finish as high as 2nd in the Metro, not with how team's like Carolina and NY Rangers are trending. At best, they will be able to finish just above NY Islanders and Washington, but don't sleep on Columbus for too much longer. Philadelphia, I have no idea when they're going to figure things out, but I'll safely assume they won't be relevant for at least a little while longer
29 août 2022 à 15 h 58
Banni
Drafting in the 15-21 range isn't bad, and if Fenway believes the team can contend for a long time, they're only kidding themselves. The Pens are not a cup contender as currently constructed, nor are they positioned to improve back into one over the remainder of Crosby's career. No way the Pens are able to finish as high as 2nd in the Metro, not with how team's like Carolina and NY Rangers are trending. At best, they will be able to finish just above NY Islanders and Washington, but don't sleep on Columbus for too much longer. Philadelphia, I have no idea when they're going to figure things out, but I'll safely assume they won't be relevant for at least a little while longer

Sorry man, but you're SUPER wrong. The Pens have a better lineup going into the season than when they started last year. Are they a top contender? No, but if they have a healthier year? They're absolutely a threat. Look at how they did last year missing BOTH Sid and Malkin for the first two months and Malkin missing half the season. We took the rangers to 7 with a 3rd string goalie. The Pens improved their defense. This is a contender if healthy at the right time.

As far as they believing they can contend and wanting them to content are two different things. Financially they're in a better position next year and can buy upgrades. It's growing very possible JT Miller winds up in PIttsburgh.
29 août 2022 à 16 h 23
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Sorry man, but you're SUPER wrong. The Pens have a better lineup going into the season than when they started last year. Are they a top contender? No, but if they have a healthier year? They're absolutely a threat. Look at how they did last year missing BOTH Sid and Malkin for the first two months and Malkin missing half the season. We took the rangers to 7 with a 3rd string goalie. The Pens improved their defense. This is a contender if healthy at the right time.

As far as they believing they can contend and wanting them to content are two different things. Financially they're in a better position next year and can buy upgrades. It's growing very possible JT Miller winds up in PIttsburgh.

No, I don't think I'm wrong at all, the Penguins would have gotten stone walled by the Hurricanes if they beat the Rangers. I think the homer in you is starting to creep out. They had Sid and Geno for the playoffs, that's all I need to see. I also don't see how they improved their defense. I don't know if you believe JT Miller will just sign as a free agent or if he gets traded by the deadline, but if he's traded, Pens will be giving up a ton, and I mean A TON, now that they don't have Marino as a trade chip anymore. Allvin can use that as a grudge against Pens management for leverage
29 août 2022 à 16 h 31
Banni
No, I don't think I'm wrong at all, the Penguins would have gotten stone walled by the Hurricanes if they beat the Rangers. I think the homer in you is starting to creep out. They had Sid and Geno for the playoffs, that's all I need to see. I also don't see how they improved their defense. I don't know if you believe JT Miller will just sign as a free agent or if he gets traded by the deadline, but if he's traded, Pens will be giving up a ton, and I mean A TON, now that they don't have Marino as a trade chip anymore. Allvin can use that as a grudge against Pens management for leverage

No, signed as a FA and I'm a pretty impartial fan. Sid and Geno were awesome. You realize we literally had a 3rd string goalie vs. the Rangers, right? If you don't think that matters then I truly question your sanity.
29 août 2022 à 16 h 33
Démarrer sujet
Banni
No, signed as a FA and I'm a pretty impartial fan. Sid and Geno were awesome. You realize we literally had a 3rd string goalie vs. the Rangers, right? If you don't think that matters then I truly question your sanity.

Well, Jarry isn't an elite starter, so I don't see there being a night and day difference. The homer side of your fandom is continuing to ooze out of your ego. Have to realistically expect some sort of decline for Geno next season if not Sid. If Miller signs, then that will change the conversation, but it hasn't gotten there yet
29 août 2022 à 16 h 36
Banni
Well, Jarry isn't an elite starter, so I don't see there being a night and day difference. The homer side of your fandom is continuing to ooze out of your ego. Have to realistically expect some sort of decline for Geno next season if not Sid. If Miller signs, then that will change the conversation, but it hasn't gotten there yet

I mean look, you typically have bad takes on here, so I'm not surprised. Jarry was a top ten goalie last year. If you don't that makes a difference, then yeah, you really don't know what you're talking about. Again, not surprised. You're usually pretty bad at this.
29 août 2022 à 16 h 38
Démarrer sujet
Banni
I mean look, you typically have bad takes on here, so I'm not surprised. Jarry was a top ten goalie last year. If you don't that makes a difference, then yeah, you really don't know what you're talking about. Again, not surprised. You're usually pretty bad at this.

Who TF are you to judge? For all everyone else see's, you're just a troll who favors the Pens. Everyone knows Jarry isn't elite. This Penguins team isn't as stacked as the other team's that are projected cup contenders. Whether that's on the back end or up front. Deal with it. You're only deluding yourself if you think the Pens are contenders next season without JT Miller
4 sept. 2022 à 14 h 36
IG vincemark78
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 82
Who TF are you to judge? For all everyone else see's, you're just a troll who favors the Pens. Everyone knows Jarry isn't elite. This Penguins team isn't as stacked as the other team's that are projected cup contenders. Whether that's on the back end or up front. Deal with it. You're only deluding yourself if you think the Pens are contenders next season without JT Miller

The Pens forward group is dynamic and deep. The defense has been reshaped and sits in a better spot than it did last year with Marino and Matheson blowing it in their own zones. 3 goals in the Rangers series went in off of Matheson. Jarry and DeSmith are BOTH much, much better at goaltending than ****in spicy pork boy.

So yes barring health, the Pens on paper are stacked and are for sure a cup contender. The Rangers got lucky against us. The year before the Islanders got lucky Jarry forgot how to goalie in Game 5. The last two seasons we got beat by our own goaltending.

Your doom and gloom mentality is bollocks man
Mr_Gardoki a aimé ceci.
4 sept. 2022 à 14 h 37
IG vincemark78

I don't think we're going to get Miller either. But yeah, we don't need him to be honest we have good center depth. What we really need is one more top 4 D.
4 sept. 2022 à 21 h 27
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: vmark
The Pens forward group is dynamic and deep. The defense has been reshaped and sits in a better spot than it did last year with Marino and Matheson blowing it in their own zones. 3 goals in the Rangers series went in off of Matheson. Jarry and DeSmith are BOTH much, much better at goaltending than ****in spicy pork boy.

So yes barring health, the Pens on paper are stacked and are for sure a cup contender. The Rangers got lucky against us. The year before the Islanders got lucky Jarry forgot how to goalie in Game 5. The last two seasons we got beat by our own goaltending.

Your doom and gloom mentality is bollocks man

Their forward group is not that deep, and the blueline is at best slightly improved. I'm not taking on a doom and gloom mentality, I'm being realistic
4 sept. 2022 à 21 h 28
Démarrer sujet
Banni
I don't think we're going to get Miller either. But yeah, we don't need him to be honest we have good center depth. What we really need is one more top 4 D.

Until Geno gets hurt
5 sept. 2022 à 16 h 20
IG vincemark78
Until Geno gets hurt

Well, you know, maybe an entire offseason and clean bill of health has him good to go for once. Last year he was never really healthy. Right now he should be. Motivated too. I always assume players will be healthy and stick to the positive aspect of it because you never know. He could be healthy the rest of his career. I sure wish him that clean bill of health. Would be nice to see him look like his old self confidence wise.

To go back on your other post, to me the D is GREATLY improved because Petry is much better than either Marino or Matheson. Neither of them impressed me, in fact, they both made mental errors in the playoffs in their own zones multiple times. It was frustrating. Our 2nd pair is locked in now. We have another guy who, actually, could be trusted to play some top pair minutes. Rutta played with Hedman and won 2 cups. He is versatile, and probably smart.

Smith will be better with us, he's very young, and he has a legit high ceiling. Who knows. I do still want us to get another top 4 guy. But right now, not paying those 2 guys over 9m for years to come is a huge win in my book.

On paper, we have great forward depth man. Our top 6 is stacked. Kap is on the third line, and he had chemistry with Carter last year, who is also a solid 3c. Our 4th line, right now, is a bit sus b/c I'm not sure about Poehling. But Archibald flies around. Blueger is a good bottom 6 guy. Zohorna has potential.

We had no problem scoring last year in the playoffs on the best goalie in the league... but they didn't have much trouble putting shots through our 3rd stringer either. If Jarry and DeSmith can play to their ability and stay focused and healthy come playoff time we are a legit Cup threat.

It all comes down to goaltending. Maybe we'll trade DeSmith and Zucker to Minny for Dumba and Flower.... HA
14 sept. 2022 à 10 h 1
Banni
Well, you know, maybe an entire offseason and clean bill of health has him good to go for once. Last year he was never really healthy. Right now he should be. Motivated too. I always assume players will be healthy and stick to the positive aspect of it because you never know. He could be healthy the rest of his career. I sure wish him that clean bill of health. Would be nice to see him look like his old self confidence wise.

To go back on your other post, to me the D is GREATLY improved because Petry is much better than either Marino or Matheson. Neither of them impressed me, in fact, they both made mental errors in the playoffs in their own zones multiple times. It was frustrating. Our 2nd pair is locked in now. We have another guy who, actually, could be trusted to play some top pair minutes. Rutta played with Hedman and won 2 cups. He is versatile, and probably smart.

Smith will be better with us, he's very young, and he has a legit high ceiling. Who knows. I do still want us to get another top 4 guy. But right now, not paying those 2 guys over 9m for years to come is a huge win in my book.

On paper, we have great forward depth man. Our top 6 is stacked. Kap is on the third line, and he had chemistry with Carter last year, who is also a solid 3c. Our 4th line, right now, is a bit sus b/c I'm not sure about Poehling. But Archibald flies around. Blueger is a good bottom 6 guy. Zohorna has potential.

We had no problem scoring last year in the playoffs on the best goalie in the league... but they didn't have much trouble putting shots through our 3rd stringer either. If Jarry and DeSmith can play to their ability and stay focused and healthy come playoff time we are a legit Cup threat.

It all comes down to goaltending. Maybe we'll trade DeSmith and Zucker to Minny for Dumba and Flower.... HA

Dude, he's a troll.
vmark a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2022 à 2 h 50
Démarrer sujet
Banni

Again, the Pens as a whole to me just looks like an above average team at every position. Forwards, Defense, and Goaltending, but above average isn't good enough, not when the team is capped out with no room to improve
15 sept. 2022 à 2 h 51
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Dude, he's a troll.

Highly accusatory take for a guy who grasps at straws to keep the spirit of his fandom intact
15 sept. 2022 à 18 h 35
IG vincemark78
Again, the Pens as a whole to me just looks like an above average team at every position. Forwards, Defense, and Goaltending, but above average isn't good enough, not when the team is capped out with no room to improve

They have an elite forward group and a much more than above average defense and goaltending. We'll see how they play next postseason.
15 sept. 2022 à 22 h 35
Démarrer sujet
Banni
They have an elite forward group and a much more than above average defense and goaltending. We'll see how they play next postseason.

None of their forward group, their, defense, nor their goaltending is elite. They're all above average at best, and that is a hill I am not afraid to die on. I don't see any non Pens fans claiming that their team is elite in any part of their lineup
19 sept. 2022 à 12 h 46
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,466
None of their forward group, their, defense, nor their goaltending is elite. They're all above average at best, and that is a hill I am not afraid to die on. I don't see any non Pens fans claiming that their team is elite in any part of their lineup

Agree with you. Unless this group can catch fire in the playoffs, no reason to think differently that they are just another first round exit. I dunno, just bringing back the same expensive core didn't seem like a good idea.
Knuckl3s a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage