SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Why has fighting not been removed from the NHL yet?

How much do you hate hockey fighting?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

3 avr. 2017 à 17 h 6
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,649
Seriously, why has fighting not been removed? Shouldn't fighting get you a 10 game suspension or something? I don't understand why the fans get all excited by the fighting. It's very strange how people go out to play hockey, and out of nowhere they start punching each other and grabbing each other. So i won't vote on the poll, but i will say that if i did, my vote would be: Hockey fighting is so stupid!!
What do you guys think?
4 avr. 2017 à 11 h 41
Démarrer sujet
Black Lives Matter
Wait, someone voted for 'it's fun to watch i guess'????
4 avr. 2017 à 20 h 25
Joel Mann
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1
The main part of fighting is sticking up for your teammates, it mainly happens because of a big or dirty hit or to provide a spark. It is part of the game and has been for a very long time. The main arguments to get rid of it are the concussions that happen from it. I see why lots of people want it gone but I don't think it will be removed from the game anytime soon.
5 avr. 2017 à 1 h 37
Démarrer sujet
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Joel1
The main part of fighting is sticking up for your teammates, it mainly happens because of a big or dirty hit or to provide a spark. It is part of the game and has been for a very long time. The main arguments to get rid of it are the concussions that happen from it. I see why lots of people want it gone but I don't think it will be removed from the game anytime soon.

Fighting in hockey is stupid in my opinion. Do you agree that they should give a suspension for fighting?
5 avr. 2017 à 10 h 14
Mentions "j'aime": 13
If fighting was removed from hockey there would be no punishment or sense of fear for running star players or making dirty plays. Fighting keeps the league in check and prevents the game from getting out of hand and dirty. Yes fighting is dangerous, but there has been far less concussions from fighting than there has been from big hits, does that mean body checking is stupid and should be removed? I think fighting is part of the game and shouldn't go anywhere, and I think it would lead to more dirty plays if it did. Ex: Malkin had a big hit on Blake Wheeler earlier this year and Wheeler was pissed off about it, the next game the two fought to even the score, without fighting Wheeler would have tried to lay a huge hit on Malkin to get revenge, which could have been dirty/head shot and that's how bad hits from behind start, and where most concussions happen. The league did a good thing when they banned players from taking off their helmets before fights and I think that's as far as they should go.
5 avr. 2017 à 12 h 1
Démarrer sujet
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: TroyBodie
If fighting was removed from hockey there would be no punishment or sense of fear for running star players or making dirty plays. Fighting keeps the league in check and prevents the game from getting out of hand and dirty. Yes fighting is dangerous, but there has been far less concussions from fighting than there has been from big hits, does that mean body checking is stupid and should be removed? I think fighting is part of the game and shouldn't go anywhere, and I think it would lead to more dirty plays if it did. Ex: Malkin had a big hit on Blake Wheeler earlier this year and Wheeler was pissed off about it, the next game the two fought to even the score, without fighting Wheeler would have tried to lay a huge hit on Malkin to get revenge, which could have been dirty/head shot and that's how bad hits from behind start, and where most concussions happen. The league did a good thing when they banned players from taking off their helmets before fights and I think that's as far as they should go.

okay, you're allowed to like hockey fights, but i'm just saying i don't.
5 avr. 2017 à 12 h 14
Mentions "j'aime": 208
Last night is a prime example has to why fighting this in sport is needed. Giordano went knee to knee on Fowler and no call was made. Manson, went after Giordano and evened the score.

It is a way to police the game for calls that are not called or that are missed. I understand your argument and it does disrupt the flow of the game but there is nothing like seeing a good fight that lifts your team up and they score in a minute after the fight. That is just me though.
5 avr. 2017 à 12 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: awatt
Last night is a prime example has to why fighting this in sport is needed. Giordano went knee to knee on Fowler and no call was made. Manson, went after Giordano and evened the score.

It is a way to police the game for calls that are not called or that are missed. I understand your argument and it does disrupt the flow of the game but there is nothing like seeing a good fight that lifts your team up and they score in a minute after the fight. That is just me though.

I just think that you're in the middle of a hockey game and then suddenly the game stops and two guys start punching each other and grabbing each other. And i don't know why players do that.
5 avr. 2017 à 17 h 30
Not yet trannycided
Mentions "j'aime": 2,012
Fighting does still have a place in the game, albeit not the one it used to have.

In my opinion, while it no longer deters dirty play, it does hold opponents accountable for what they do on the ice. So if a player throws a dirty hit and the ref doesn't catch it, then starting a fight can ensure that the player has to answer in some way. The player who threw the hit risks losing the fight, which is both tiring and humiliating, and if a player's physical and mental conditions are down, the other team can take advantage of that. Also, you seem to think it kills momentum. Yes, it stops the game, but depending on how the fight ends, whoever comes out on top may make it so that their team doesn't miss a beat.

Why is that? It's because fighting also gives an energy boost. There's a reason why, in the NHL video games, fighting restores your players' energy levels. I know that watching at home, there are times where I start to fall asleep because a game is getting boring. At an Islanders game before, I started to fall asleep because I was exhausted earlier in the day, but all that changed when I saw the fight happen; I was no longer tired! I presume it's the same for the guys on the bench, especially because they're closer to the action than me.

For arguments against fighting, concussions are a big thing. Old time hockey fans will use the slippery slope and claim that cutting down on fighting will increase dirty hits. That argument falls flat because, in practice, fighting doesn't deter dirty play like it used to. The refs are too strict nowadays. I know that if I wanted to throw a hit on a player, I'd be no less likely to do so if a team had, say, Tanner Glass, rather than Sidney Crosby, on the ice. In fact, pretty much all opposing players would rather face the clueless Glass over the elite Crosby.

Those concussions are pretty nasty, too. The deaths of Boogaard, Rypien, Belak, and Montador, as well as the retirement of Parros, serve as proof that repeated blows to the head come with inherent risk. While a single dirty hit can do more damage than a fight (like Chara on Pacioretty), if the fights happen often enough, oftentimes a player won't realize the damage it's doing until it's too late.

It's also down because skilled players do not really have a need to fight. A lot of traditional enforcers can't even play a regular shift without being detrimental to their team. Thus, fighting will phase itself out unless enough good players teach themselves to fight, which is impractical because if I was the Penguins GM, I'd want Crosby on the ice for a 2:00 power play, and not in the penalty box.

So, is fighting still a big thing in ice hockey? Not really. But should it be phased out? No. There are still good reasons to fight, and even if there weren't, with the way the game is trending, it'll be gone sooner than we may think.

More opinions: the instigator rule is stupid. For example, if a player throws a dirty hit that goes uncalled and the opponent responds with a fight invitation, then why should the opponent, who did not throw the dirty hit, be penalized while the other guy gets off scot-free? On the flipside, I'd be cool with requiring everyone in the NHL to wear a visor. We have seen what visors can do; heck, if Parros had a visor, he wouldn't have hit the ice face-first when he fought with Orr that night. Players have adapted to fighting opponents with visors, so it's not like this extra safety measure would significantly hinder the ability to land a punch. Uppercuts and side shots do the job just fine.
Joel1 a aimé ceci.
6 avr. 2017 à 13 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Snobalt
Fighting does still have a place in the game, albeit not the one it used to have.

In my opinion, while it no longer deters dirty play, it does hold opponents accountable for what they do on the ice. So if a player throws a dirty hit and the ref doesn't catch it, then starting a fight can ensure that the player has to answer in some way. The player who threw the hit risks losing the fight, which is both tiring and humiliating, and if a player's physical and mental conditions are down, the other team can take advantage of that. Also, you seem to think it kills momentum. Yes, it stops the game, but depending on how the fight ends, whoever comes out on top may make it so that their team doesn't miss a beat.

Why is that? It's because fighting also gives an energy boost. There's a reason why, in the NHL video games, fighting restores your players' energy levels. I know that watching at home, there are times where I start to fall asleep because a game is getting boring. At an Islanders game before, I started to fall asleep because I was exhausted earlier in the day, but all that changed when I saw the fight happen; I was no longer tired! I presume it's the same for the guys on the bench, especially because they're closer to the action than me.

For arguments against fighting, concussions are a big thing. Old time hockey fans will use the slippery slope and claim that cutting down on fighting will increase dirty hits. That argument falls flat because, in practice, fighting doesn't deter dirty play like it used to. The refs are too strict nowadays. I know that if I wanted to throw a hit on a player, I'd be no less likely to do so if a team had, say, Tanner Glass, rather than Sidney Crosby, on the ice. In fact, pretty much all opposing players would rather face the clueless Glass over the elite Crosby.

Those concussions are pretty nasty, too. The deaths of Boogaard, Rypien, Belak, and Montador, as well as the retirement of Parros, serve as proof that repeated blows to the head come with inherent risk. While a single dirty hit can do more damage than a fight (like Chara on Pacioretty), if the fights happen often enough, oftentimes a player won't realize the damage it's doing until it's too late.

It's also down because skilled players do not really have a need to fight. A lot of traditional enforcers can't even play a regular shift without being detrimental to their team. Thus, fighting will phase itself out unless enough good players teach themselves to fight, which is impractical because if I was the Penguins GM, I'd want Crosby on the ice for a 2:00 power play, and not in the penalty box.

So, is fighting still a big thing in ice hockey? Not really. But should it be phased out? No. There are still good reasons to fight, and even if there weren't, with the way the game is trending, it'll be gone sooner than we may think.

More opinions: the instigator rule is stupid. For example, if a player throws a dirty hit that goes uncalled and the opponent responds with a fight invitation, then why should the opponent, who did not throw the dirty hit, be penalized while the other guy gets off scot-free? On the flipside, I'd be cool with requiring everyone in the NHL to wear a visor. We have seen what visors can do; heck, if Parros had a visor, he wouldn't have hit the ice face-first when he fought with Orr that night. Players have adapted to fighting opponents with visors, so it's not like this extra safety measure would significantly hinder the ability to land a punch. Uppercuts and side shots do the job just fine.

hopefully they remove it soon.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage