Forums/Armchair-GM

Issue with Chiarot

Créé par: justaBoss
Équipe: 2021-22 Canadiens de Montréal
Date de création initiale: 24 janv. 2022
Publié: 24 janv. 2022
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I generally understand the idea that Habs would like to get a good haul for a D-man that plays first pair in their team.

With that notion, the huge issue is that there's not a single team besides Habs in the entire league that would have Chiarot play their first pair. This especially applies to the contenders, who are the only ones interested in adding such an asset at the deadline.

I just don't see teams willing to spend a top-4 D-man's value for a player that would end up playing third pair role. Or bottom-4 in certain cases.

Habs LHD core might be the weakest in the entire league. They have huge amount of them, but all of them are comparably very, very meh.

If you don't believe me, let's go teams through one by one, alphabetically.

A disclaimer: when I say there is no need for the guy, I mean that there's no need for adding the guy at the price Habs are looking for

ANA: Lindholm, Fowler - both better than Chiarot, so no need for him.

ARI: Chychrun, Gostisbehere - out of the playoffs anyway so they won't be in the market.

BOS: this one is actually the one where Chiarot might end up being near the top pair due to their current LHDs, Grzelcyk, Reilly and Forbort being pretty much as good as Chiarot is. But they don't really need a fourth Chiarot, do they?

BUF: Dahlin - but not in the market for strengthening anyway.

CGY: Hanfiin, and to an extent Kylington too, he's been very good this year - no need for Chiarot here either.

CAR: Slavin, Skjei - no need or room for Chiarot.

CHI: they might actually have an use for a LHD because their defense sucks, but they need more of a puckmoving D-man so Chiarot's profile don't really match this one. But after spending so much futures on Jones I don't think they'll be on the market and at the very least they are not going to be willing to spend the amount MTL wants, especially now that Bowman's gone.

COL: Toews, Girard - and with Byram, Murray and Johnson too COL is not going to be in that market.

CBJ: Werenski, Gavrikov - not likely in the market anyway as buyers.

DAL: Lindell - might be about as good as Suter, but DAL sucks anyway this year so they should be sellers and not buyers.

DET: Leddy - Chiarot might be making it to top4 here, but once again it's a selling team so there's going to be no interest here.

EDM: Nurse - Chiarot is probably the best fit here because Keith, Koekkoek and Russell are blah, but apparently Holland is not going to be spending assets during this market anyway so I suppose it'll be a no go.

FLA: Weegar - FLA is the highest rumored team to be after a top4 D-man in the league, but at the same time they are after Chychrun too and to be fair if I'd be spending huge assets by the deadline for a top4 D-man, Chychrun takes the cake 100 out of 100 times against Chiarot. Maybe if FLA takes a more reasonable return they might be willing to make a deal, but I don't see them paying anything more than Nutivaara+2nd.

LA: this is similar to Boston, they have lots of LHDs already able to play second or third pair but they're lacking a first pair one, and Chiarot is not exactly an upgrade of any of what they currently have.

MIN: Brodin, Goligoski - simply no need for Chiarot here

NSH: Josi, Ekholm - it's the same old story, no need to pay a premium for a third pair D-man.

NJD: one of the worst LHD cores in the league here too but they're not buyers by any means. Their D talent plays mostly the right side.

NYI: Pelech - there's certainly an opening for a second pair D-man, but since Pelech is already a more defensive D-man anyway they'd likely prefer and need a puck-moving D-man, so the situation is relatively similar to Chicago, with the fit not being there

NYR: Lindgren - NYR is probably your best bet if Habs want a top4 D-man return, but similar to FLA, they're after bigger fish in Chychrun. Chiarot is their plan B, and likely the only team willing to spend on him to play the top4 role due to Miller, Nemeth and Hajek being a bit subpar. Their RHDs are extremely talented, so that does compensate a bit on what they currently have.

OTT: Chabot - but they're not buyers, although Chiarot would probably fit their second pair.

PHI: Prorovorv, Sanheim - they're playing is trash anyway so Fletcher could in theory add Chiarot as a desperation move, but honestly there's no need here and they SHOULDN'T be buyers this time. Predicting what Flyers are doing is very hard right now.

PIT: Dumoulin, Pettersson, maybe even Matheson based on his latest performance - honestly their LHD core is doing pretty well. No need or room for Chiarot here

SJ: Ferraro - their LHD core is also weak and there should be room for Chiarot, but they shouldn't be buying right now anyway, they need those picks to build future. They are not contending. They're basically a little better but older version of New Jersey.

SEA: Giordano - they have also Soucy, Dunn and Oleksiak so no huge need for strengthening, and it's not like they're buyers anyway. Soucy is probably in the trade market as well for exact similar role as Chiarot is playing as is likely the more interesting option for teams due to his extra year of term, too.

STL: Krug - this is an interesting one, since there's an opening for the second pair role, but they have almost zero cap, and some young guys in Mikkola and Perunovich eyeing for that second pair role. There's Scandella too, but he reminds me of Chiarot anyway in terms of being defensive and fitting better to a third pair role anyway.

TB: Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev - the only team that does spend first rounders for exact depth strengthening (Goodrow, Savard for example). Only problem here is that Tampa's LHD core is the best in the league and there's no room for Chiarot here whatsoever. So they're out.

TOR: Rielly, Muzzin - a classic example of a team who in theory could need an experienced playoff asset to the third pair, but because the need is for a third pair one I don't see high motivation to pay a top4 price for the guy.

VAN: Hughes, Ekman-Larsson - unfortunately Benning isn't here anymore paying you two firsts and Podkolzin for the guy, but even if he was realistically speaking there's no huge need for Chiarot anyway.

VGK: Theodore, Martinez - no need or cap space for the guy

WSH: Orlov - this is fairly similar to NYR and one of the teams with most need for a guy like Chiarot to play a top4 role. My personal opinion is that WSH is the best trade partner out of all, but do they have the cap space for the guy?

WPG: Morrissey, Dillon - I don't see Chiarot returning here. No real need for the guy and their LHD depth is already pretty solid.

See what I mean? MTL would want a top4 value out of the guy, but realistically speaking there's very few teams that would
a) use him in the top4
b) willing to pay that much for a D-man playing in a lesser role
Transactions
MTL
  1. Cuylle, Will
  2. Nemeth, Patrik
  3. Choix de 2e ronde en 2022 (STL)
  4. Choix de 2e ronde en 2023 (NYR)
NYR
  1. Chiarot, Ben
  2. Lehkonen, Artturi
Détails additionnels:
NYR is reportedly interested in both of these guys. Taking them in and dumping Nemeth's contract might be the best way for MTL to get some value out of the guys.
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de CAR
Logo de MTL
Logo de STL
Logo de MTL
Logo de ANA
Logo de CAR
Logo de MTL
Logo de TBL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de STL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de NYR
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2381 500 000 $71 147 891 $597 561 $1 475 000 $10 352 109 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Canadiens de Montréal
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
AG
UFA - 3
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance537 500 $$538K)
C
UFA - 1
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 6
2 125 000 $2 125 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 3
4 450 000 $4 450 000 $
C
UFA - 4
880 833 $880 833 $ (Bonis de performance300 000 $$300K)
AG, AD
UFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 2
917 831 $917 831 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 4
750 000 $750 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
C
UFA - 1
950 000 $950 000 $
C, AG, AD
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
894 167 $894 167 $ (Bonis de performance637 500 $$638K)
DG
RFA - 1
2 343 750 $2 343 750 $
DD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
750 000 $750 000 $
G
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 4
880 833 $880 833 $
G
RFA - 1
Logo de Rangers de New York
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
750 000 $750 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
761 250 $761 250 $
DG/DD
RFA - 1
10 500 000 $10 500 000 $
G
NMC
UFA - 5
7 857 143 $7 857 143 $
DD
UFA - 5
750 000 $750 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
C
UFA - 1
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
AG, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
875 000 $875 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
2 875 000 $2 875 000 $
G
UFA - 2
950 000 $950 000 $
AG, AD, C
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
G
UFA - 1
Équipe de réserve
750 000 $750 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
DG/DD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
24 janv. 2022 à 15 h 15
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 6,422
Quoting: justaBoss
So there's a bit more than a handful teams with room for the guy, but probably two or three actual contenders who would actually benefit for bringing the guy in at the demanded cost (NYR, FLA and WSH).

The demand isn't really that high. There's so much average LHDs in this league already.

I would also add Boston and St. Louis as contenders with a need and who would benefit. Most of these teams are looking a Chychrun as Plan A and Chiarot as Plan B so 4 teams are going to be bidders for sure with the others as mild interest.
24 janv. 2022 à 15 h 27
Démarrer sujet
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,449
Quoting: Campabee
I would also add Boston and St. Louis as contenders with a need and who would benefit. Most of these teams are looking a Chychrun as Plan A and Chiarot as Plan B so 4 teams are going to be bidders for sure with the others as mild interest.

BOS? Not really, they have three same level of D-men with one or two playing same kind of hockey.

STL might have a need but they also have two young guys needing ice time in Perunovich and Mikkola. I guess they could do it if MTL agrees to take Scandella back.
24 janv. 2022 à 16 h 42
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 6,422
BOS? Not really, they have three same level of D-men with one or two playing same kind of hockey.

STL might have a need but they also have two young guys needing ice time in Perunovich and Mikkola. I guess they could do it if MTL agrees to take Scandella back.

You keep repeating the same thing over and over but don't understand that it doesn't matter if they have an immediate need, they could be potential destinations anyway because at the deadline needs mostly go out the window as GM's are more focused on the what if effect. Sure some of the teams have the need but most will still bid on players JUST IN CASE their current players get injured. God forbid but what happens to St. Louis if Krug gets injured do they really want to play Scandella in the top 4? No they really don't but Chiarot on the other hand they would play him on the top pairing if need be.
24 janv. 2022 à 17 h 28
Démarrer sujet
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,449
Quoting: Campabee
You keep repeating the same thing over and over but don't understand that it doesn't matter if they have an immediate need, they could be potential destinations anyway because at the deadline needs mostly go out the window as GM's are more focused on the what if effect. Sure some of the teams have the need but most will still bid on players JUST IN CASE their current players get injured. God forbid but what happens to St. Louis if Krug gets injured do they really want to play Scandella in the top 4? No they really don't but Chiarot on the other hand they would play him on the top pairing if need be.

Rather ironically Boston is to an extent in this exact situation because Krug left that team and went to STL after a better contract. They replaced the hole with Mike Reilly because he replaces the role Krug had in Boston, but doesn't get the same minutes.

But honestly if Krug gets injured then STL is f*cked, because they'd be lacking an offensive D-man, which is a role a player like Chiarot can't replace, unlike Reilly. They'd replace his role with Perunovich even if they had Chiarot or not, even though Chiarot would probably eat most of the minutes.

And actually the last two deadlines didn't have a single trade involving higher assets (1st rd picks) for what if situations. First rounders in this time frame during deadline or close to it have been spent on Zucker, Coleman, Kase (which also included the Backes dump), Pageau, Goodrow, Skjei, Palmieri, Savard, Foligno and Mantha. All of them, maybe aside from Savard due to Tampa's incredible roster were acquired to fill a specific need. What ifs have been in these cases at most the secondary element, but that is the point of acquiring depth - you just don't spend first rounders for only depth assets. That kind of stuff warrants second rounders.
24 janv. 2022 à 17 h 48
Lets Go Blues
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,332

I think they can leave Scandella on the 3rd pair and figure out what to do with him in the offseason. But I'm also not a professional salary cap manager and deadline cap space is confusing.

There is a fit for a guy like Chiarot to play with Parayko on the shutdown pair. My concern has always been the rumored asking prices. The Blues shouldn't be moving their 1st rd pick for Ben Chiarot. When Bouwmeester went down, they panicked and bought Scandella to fill the same role, and he was playing good hockey and cost a 2nd to rent - I still thought that was pretty steep. People like to assume that a contending team's picks are late in the round and dispensable. But there is a good chance that the path to the finals could be an absolute bloodbath for STL - what if it's Minnesota->Colorado->Vegas? Anyone still projecting that pick as 28-32? It could end up being 17oa (like it was last season). And now Habs fans here have been asking for the 1st and a solid prospect?!
justaBoss a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage