SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Kent Hughes Priorities

20 janv. 2022 à 13 h 21
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 31
As a habs fan, I liked my first impression on Kent Hughes. He brings a different thinking in MTL which we haven’t seen in a long time. The experience of Jeff Gorton will also help Mr. Hughes to deal with the day-to-day job of a GM. He has a lot of work to do, so let’s start with his top priorities.

#1 finding a Ass. GM. Obviously MTL has some big holes to fill in their organisation and finding a Assistant GM is a top priorities. To me, Danièle Sauvageau, a former coach and GM of women’s team canada is a top candidate for me. She was interviewed for the GM role and from what I heard, she impressed a lot. MTL feels comfortable with Martin Lapointe as director of amateur scouting. Hughes likes advanced stats, so he will need to hire personnel there.

#2 what is he gonna do with Carey Price and Shea Weber. Those players has been the backbone of the habs for years now, but their health situation is very unclear. Carey Price is still not practicing and we don’t know if Weber is done with hockey or no. I assume Price will comeback and with his contract, he won’t be traded IMO. Weber, well I’m not sure how a guy can play like a beast in the playoffs and be done with hockey, but I assume he will never comeback.

#3 Cleaning Cap Space. MTL needs to trade some salaries if they want to make changes. Guys like Petry, Drouin, Armia, Hoffman,Toffoli and Dvorak could be guys on the move. Hughes has mentionned character numerous times as a top quality for a player. He also mentionned he is looking for a fast, possession team.

#4 DON’T F&$@ING SCREW UP THE DRAFT!

Let’s have a discussion!
20 janv. 2022 à 13 h 23
Pop Pop
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 8,213
1 ask Gorton what to do
2 do it
20 janv. 2022 à 13 h 25
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Jfstompers
1 ask Gorton what to do
2 do it

Fax lol but it’s the same with a lot of gm. Kyle Dubas has Shanahan up his a$$ and Sweeney has Neely. Same situation here.
20 janv. 2022 à 13 h 32
I post sometimes
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,612
To be honest - I don't think they will rebuid this year - they will trade the UFA and RFA unlikely to resign this year... but they will wait an see next year, after a long offseason where all players will comeback healthy.

Because on paper, habs are not terrible. They are very deep on the wings and OK at center.

They need to fix Petry... but the D is good with all the prospect coming up. Guhle, Romanov, Harris, Xekhaj, Norlinder, Mailloux.

If they start playing terrible once again, then the rebuild will be triggered.

We'll get a top 5 five pick this year... and next year they will propably trade the UFAs again, but keep the guys undercontract. Drouin will leave, Byron will be traded (maybe resigned cheap afterwards), Hoffman will be gone. They will keep guys signed to term as it will become increasingly difficult to bring players to Canada in the next few years because of the pandemic.

I know @F50marco disagree with this approach, but I believe that's what they will do.
MountRoyal et Chevy074 a aimé ceci.
20 janv. 2022 à 14 h 36
Flood Geologist
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 227
Quoting: MTLaveragefan
They will keep guys signed to term as it will become increasingly difficult to bring players to Canada in the next few years because of the pandemic.

Hmmm, relevant point ... Toffoli should be kept in that case even if he would net the biggest return among the wingers that habs could conceivably trade.
Chevy074 a aimé ceci.
20 janv. 2022 à 14 h 46
CapMean
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 29
"Weber, well I’m not sure how a guy can play like a beast in the playoffs and be done with hockey, but I assume he will never comeback."

I think your assumption that Weber will never come back is a pretty good one. While he did play like a beast in the playoffs, I recall Bergevin saying that he would have to show up hours before anyone else just to prepare himself to be able to skate due to all of his injuries. It's amazing that he played through all that pain and never complained once or showed any sign that he was hurt. He'll be missed for sure.
20 janv. 2022 à 15 h 13
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,691
To be honest - I don't think they will rebuid this year - they will trade the UFA and RFA unlikely to resign this year... but they will wait an see next year, after a long offseason where all players will comeback healthy.

Because on paper, habs are not terrible. They are very deep on the wings and OK at center.

They need to fix Petry... but the D is good with all the prospect coming up. Guhle, Romanov, Harris, Xekhaj, Norlinder, Mailloux.

If they start playing terrible once again, then the rebuild will be triggered.

We'll get a top 5 five pick this year... and next year they will propably trade the UFAs again, but keep the guys undercontract. Drouin will leave, Byron will be traded (maybe resigned cheap afterwards), Hoffman will be gone. They will keep guys signed to term as it will become increasingly difficult to bring players to Canada in the next few years because of the pandemic.

I know F50marco disagree with this approach, but I believe that's what they will do.

Prior to this year, Price, Weber and every other Habs player was relatively healthy and they still finished finished 18th, 24th, 14th (missed the playoffs) and 28th in the league..... How much more losing do we need to prove before its any more obvious?

I'm not saying Habs management will definitely rebuild (Its what I want them to do only), but if anyone is trying to convince anyone else that this team is anything other than an overpriced, playoff overachieving team, is lying to themselves.

This team has been bad for many years and frankly shouldn't have even made the playoffs both years during the pandemic in which so many fans beliefs rely on. Habs finished 24th two years ago and were gifted a spot and last year only made the playoffs because of the Canadian division. Habs would not have been in the playoffs had they played the American teams also, I hate to break it to you. TB, Florida, Carolina, Washington, Pittsburgh, etc etc etc. If we barely got into the playoffs only playing weaker CAD teams, imagine swapping EDM, VAN, CGY and WPG with TB, FLA, CAR and Pitts....

That Cinderella story last year was amazing and I loved every minute of it but I don't have blinders on either. They got lucky. I don't want to have to get lucky every year to think we can win. That's a loser mentality IMHO.

If we stay the course, the Habs playoff hopes and cup contention rest on a 35 year old, injury prone, 10.5M cap hit goalie with recent difficulties regarding substance abuse/mental health issues. Price at his absolute peak wasn't enough to will a Habs team to a cup. Expecting him to now is illogical.

When is enough enough? If what you've seen isn't enough for them to start a rebuild, I'm not sure there is anything they could have done to convince you otherwise.
MTLaveragefan et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
20 janv. 2022 à 15 h 19
I post sometimes
Quoting: F50marco
Prior to this year, Price, Weber and every other Habs player was relatively healthy and they still finished finished 18th, 24th, 14th (missed the playoffs) and 28th in the league..... How much more losing do we need to prove before its any more obvious?

I'm not saying Habs management will definitely rebuild (Its what I want them to do only), but if anyone is trying to convince anyone else that this team is anything other than an overpriced, playoff overachieving team, is lying to themselves.

This team has been bad for many years and frankly shouldn't have even made the playoffs both years during the pandemic in which so many fans beliefs rely on. Habs finished 24th two years ago and were gifted a spot and last year only made the playoffs because of the Canadian division. Habs would not have been in the playoffs had they played the American teams also, I hate to break it to you. TB, Florida, Carolina, Washington, Pittsburgh, etc etc etc. If we barely got into the playoffs only playing weaker CAD teams, imagine swapping EDM, VAN, CGY and WPG with TB, FLA, CAR and Pitts....

That Cinderella story last year was amazing and I loved every minute of it but I don't have blinders on either. They got lucky. I don't want to have to get lucky every year to think we can win. That's a loser mentality IMHO.

If we stay the course, the Habs playoff hopes and cup contention rest on a 35 year old, injury prone, 10.5M cap hit goalie with recent difficulties regarding substance abuse/mental health issues. Price at his absolute peak wasn't enough to will a Habs team to a cup. Expecting him to now is illogical.

When is enough enough? If what you've seen isn't enough for them to start a rebuild, I'm not sure there is anything they could have done to convince you otherwise.

I think my main difficulty is comparing this team to MTL teams from the mid 2010's there was a couple time where we were at the top of our divisions... with a team that was, on paper, much weaker than this one. That's the point thats bothering me.

But in any case, if we finish 24th with this team (or 32rd this year), is it really worth it to throw everything out. Clearly, moving on from a lot of piece will be necessary, but I see a lot of trades where guys that are not the issue are being traded away.
20 janv. 2022 à 15 h 43
I think my main difficulty is comparing this team to MTL teams from the mid 2010's there was a couple time where we were at the top of our divisions... with a team that was, on paper, much weaker than this one. That's the point thats bothering me.

But in any case, if we finish 24th with this team (or 32rd this year), is it really worth it to throw everything out. Clearly, moving on from a lot of piece will be necessary, but I see a lot of trades where guys that are not the issue are being traded away.

Well I mean, those 2010's teams had peak Carey Price, peak PK Subban, arguably peak Markov and Pacioretty too. Over the past 4 years, who have we had peak performance from exactly? Petry, maybe? Gallagher I guess.

I think you are looking on paper and letting that cloud your judgement. This teams results have shown what they truly are. whatever this team is on paper means absolutely nothing. I mean unless that's what's important to you.

As for the last sentiment, yeah, Tyler Toffoli for example is not the problem here but there is no point to keeping him if we don't plan on trying to win for the next couple years. So you got to move the valuable assets that will not help you when you'll actually need them out now, to hopefully replace them with assets that will be around when the time comes.
20 janv. 2022 à 16 h 15
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: CapMean
"Weber, well I’m not sure how a guy can play like a beast in the playoffs and be done with hockey, but I assume he will never comeback."

I think your assumption that Weber will never come back is a pretty good one. While he did play like a beast in the playoffs, I recall Bergevin saying that he would have to show up hours before anyone else just to prepare himself to be able to skate due to all of his injuries. It's amazing that he played through all that pain and never complained once or showed any sign that he was hurt. He'll be missed for sure.

Yeah that’s sad. A true warrior, a true leader. MTL won the PK side 100% even if Weber is done.
20 janv. 2022 à 16 h 32
Démarrer sujet

I think you and Montrealaveragefan have a different perspective on what’s next for our Habs and that’s okay.

Personally, I think a Rangers-type of rebuild needs to be done. For a whole decade we built a team around Carey Price and even tough we were close last year, we didn’t manage to win a Cup. I think last year we were lucky to make the playoffs and we caught fire at the right moment.

For once, we need to do a proper rebuild. That’s start with the top 5 pick were going to have this summer. We need to build around Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, Guhle, etc. Veteran like Anderson, Savard and Edmundson (maybe Gallagher) are guys that I rather keep on my team, because they are going to be good vet to be with the kids and are on long contract.

Hughes mentionned character, fast with the puck, possession a team as his focus. That means that player like Drouin, Hoffman, Armia, Toffoli and Dvorak are probably gone.

He also said he wants emotion a good communicator behind the bench, something Ducharme seems to struggle to do. I think they will be a coaching change in mtl even tought I think it’s unfair to fire Ducharme, who still lead us trough the finals and had so much bad luck this year with injuries and COVID
20 janv. 2022 à 16 h 53
Quoting: Chevy074
I think you and Montrealaveragefan have a different perspective on what’s next for our Habs and that’s okay.

Personally, I think a Rangers-type of rebuild needs to be done. For a whole decade we built a team around Carey Price and even tough we were close last year, we didn’t manage to win a Cup. I think last year we were lucky to make the playoffs and we caught fire at the right moment.

For once, we need to do a proper rebuild. That’s start with the top 5 pick were going to have this summer. We need to build around Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, Guhle, etc. Veteran like Anderson, Savard and Edmundson (maybe Gallagher) are guys that I rather keep on my team, because they are going to be good vet to be with the kids and are on long contract.

Hughes mentionned character, fast with the puck, possession a team as his focus. That means that player like Drouin, Hoffman, Armia, Toffoli and Dvorak are probably gone.

He also said he wants emotion a good communicator behind the bench, something Ducharme seems to struggle to do. I think they will be a coaching change in mtl even tought I think it’s unfair to fire Ducharme, who still lead us trough the finals and had so much bad luck this year with injuries and COVID

I should stress that I'm not opposed to a retool or "going for it" type mentalities but only if the time is right. It is so painfully clear in my opinion that those are not valid options anymore. The best we could hope for in those scenarios is squeaking into the playoffs and hoping we get hot at the right time....Again..... and only delaying the inevitable even further.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
21 janv. 2022 à 12 h 9
I post sometimes
Quoting: Chevy074

I should stress that I'm not opposed to a retool or "going for it" type mentalities but only if the time is right. It is so painfully clear in my opinion that those are not valid options anymore. The best we could hope for in those scenarios is squeaking into the playoffs and hoping we get hot at the right time....Again..... and only delaying the inevitable even further.

@Chevy074, I invited @F50marco because of that :P I truly respect his hockey opinions - always adding to the conversation.

As for disagreement, at the end of the day, I just want a team that compete hard and that is fun to watch... which hasn't been the case this year. And Marco is probably right, I might be letting the ''on paper team'' cloud my judgement in this affair.
F50marco a aimé ceci.
21 janv. 2022 à 20 h 44
Chevy074, I invited F50marco because of that :P I truly respect his hockey opinions - always adding to the conversation.

As for disagreement, at the end of the day, I just want a team that compete hard and that is fun to watch... which hasn't been the case this year. And Marco is probably right, I might be letting the ''on paper team'' cloud my judgement in this affair.

Right back at you bud! Wouldn't have gone this far if I hadn't. cheers
MTLaveragefan a aimé ceci.
2 févr. 2022 à 10 h 35
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,628
https://theathletic.com/3106665/2022/02/02/the-canadiens-path-forward-new-gm-kent-hughes-outlines-how-the-next-eight-months-could-go/

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage