Forums/Armchair-GM

Pros and Cons

Créé par: jchafe77
Équipe: 2021-22 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 13 janv. 2022
Publié: 13 janv. 2022
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Below is a list of potential trade targets I have deemed to be close with Toronto. However, I do not believe some of these players would work out for the team. Some have the perception that the Leafs should go after the likes of Chychrun or Klingberg, but with no idea or knowledge of what the actual cost will be in order to acquire them. IMO, the Leafs need to stick with cheap, but reliable players. There are many out there that can make a positive impact to the team, but its a matter of knowing them and what they could potentially offer to the team, rather than just be a big name.

Below, you can read my pros and cons on each player I have identified as candidates for a trade with the leafs, however, I do not agree with all of the these players actually being acquired by the Leafs. As it currently stands, my perception is that Robert Hagg, Vinnie Hinostroza, Lawson Crouse and Ben Chiarot are the ideal targets for the leafs. As for Chychrun and Klingberg, I do not. If you want to know why, read below to understand my point.

If there's other players you feel could also be potential acquisitions, leave them in a comment below if you'd like.

Thanks!
Transactions
ARI
    Ah yes, Jakob Chychrun. Highly sought after, young and reliable. Many view Chychrun as a top 2 defender, and the leafs (as well all known) need help on their blueline. Chychrun is an attractive asset that the Leafs WISH they could have, but most likely wont. Now , I'm not saying they cant trade for him, because they can, but a bigger picture lies behind the smaller picture with Chychrun and its not because of his play.

Pros:
    Chychrun is only 23 years old, and already logs massive amounts of ice time, something that is attractive to any contending team looking to bolster their lineup for this years playoffs. Chychrun is able to not only put up big minutes, but is capable of providing offense, known to be a powerplay quarter back. His 4.6 million dollar cap hit is music to many GM's ears, and with the right amount of assets and cap space, teams can possibly make it work and bring him aboard.

Cons: The Leafs are in desperate need for blueline help. However, going the Chychrun route may disrupt the teams future, especially their prospect pole and young talent making strides with the team (I.E., Sandin, Liljegren). The problem with acquiring Chychrun has multiple scenarios, the first being, how are you gonna get the money to resign Campbell? Yeah, maybe you can trade Mrazek, Ritchie, and Holl... but what about the contract renewals of Kase, Sandin, Liljegren, etc.. in the years to come, and what about a contract renewal for Chychrun because I can almost guarantee that he'll look for an 8x8 contract once its time to resign, something that the leafs cant afford, if Dubas wants to keep the core 4 in tac. If a Chychru trade were to go down, the asking price for him wold be a young player, a top prospect and a 1st round selection for this years draft. If we take a look at what fills those asks, its clear that Toronto would need to add one of either Sandin or Liljegren, one of Robertson, Amirov or Knies, and their 2022 1st, leaving them with a depleted prospect pool, and draft selection. At some point in the process of assessing what you need, and what needs to be kept, the future needs to have same priority as acquiring assets. Otherwise, you'll not only be giving up future players to your roster, but also be forced into a bigger cap crunch.
    BUF
      Robert Hagg, not many know him, but you may want to take a further look after reading.

Pros:
      Hagg may be cut out from the lights as his time in Philly went unnoticed to the rise of Travis Sanheim, and now the idea of Cam York being in their lineup as a top 4 in the future, Hagg seemed to be the odd man out. After a trade to Buffalo to land big man Ristolainen, Hagg was put into a bigger role in Buffalo, simply because the team is just not that good. However, would you believe me if I told you that Robert Hagg is a 150-200 hits defender, while matching these totals with Blocked Shots? Now your thinking: "Who the f**k is this guy?".
      Hagg has been known to display great poise and defensive abilities in his own end, playing a relaxed game, while keeping the opposition to the outside of the net, and you can add in a couple hits and hard stick battles to go along with that. He may be a 6th defenseman at best on a team, but he's a player whos capable of logging big minutes of ice time, and can be trusted on shutting down the opposing teams offensive threats. at 1.6 million, and in the final year, he'd might make a bigger impact on a offensive driven leafs team, giving him a role to shut down the opposing opposition, allowing the likes of Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares to work their magic, worry free.

Cons:
      Hagg has been on bad teams his entire career, so his stats may not look ideal to many fans. He's not a point producer by any means, and typically rides a minus in the plus/minus ratings (simply because he's been playing on a bad Philidephia and Buffalo squad) which isn't attractive at all. The problem last playoffs for the Leafs was scoring, Most notably Matthews and Marner (Tavares gets a pass because he was injured as we all know how that happened). The leafs may look for a defender who could maybe pop a couple points for them, and if so, Hagg doesn't fit the bill, but what he is capable of doing however, is defence, something teams need come playoff time.
      BUF
        Little Vinnie, but his work ethic doesnt match his size, nor his point totals as of late.

Pros:
        Vinnie Hinostroza was a player Steve Dangle actually once praised while doing his LFR videos that he posts on youtube. At the time, I only knew him as player in Chicago, who went vastly un-noticed even though he managed 12 points in 18 games after being traded from Florida to Chicago. As a Free Agent, he opted for Buffalo, as I would imagine for the opportunity to play a bigger role. Well boy, he hasn't been a disappointment for the 1,050,000 cap hit he brings. Hinostroza is known as a speedy winger, who can play both LW & RW, while being a right-handed shot. Whats impressive about Hinostroza is his ability to score at 5v5, as most of his point totals were on 5v5 as of this post this season. Hinostroza would be a boost to the bottom six for the leafs, and an option for Spezza to have on his wing to relay the puck to him on offensive rushes. Spezza has been stuck with Clifford and Ritchie over the last couple of games, and Spezza (known for his value of chipping in scattered points on given nights) could use some offensive boost to his line, creating scoring depth in case the core 4 struggles to find the back of the net on certain nights. Known for having a tremendous work ethic, Hinostroza can be dependable to Keefe in certain situations, and would rn through a brick wall in order to try and get his team ahead in the game. The 1.05 million cap hit is another attractive part of this player as well, something the leafs can afford.

Cons:
        Hinostroza only stands at 5'9'', so you can imagine that at that height, there's only so much strength the guy has, hence why he would never stand in a top 6 role. The leafs fan base for years have called for management to find players bigger, stronger and tough to play against. Although Hinostroza may not be big, he still displays strength to his own ability, and the ability to be hard to play against. If TOR does go after Hinostroza, they must consider the risks of bringing in an undersized player, as some don't fend well in the NHL.
        ARI
          A "Human Wrecking Ball" is the term I like to coin on this guy. Known as a big power forward, he may literally make one shit themselves if he lined them up with a devastating open ice hit.

Pros:
          The big Canadian, Ontario native boy is back in the trade rumour mill once again, but solely due to the fact that Arizona has been a dumpster fire this year. Crouse becomes an attractive asset to contending teams looking to toughen up their bottom six, and Crouse, along with his 1.53 million cap hit, becomes eye candy for a lot of GM's. Listed at 6'4'', 220 lbs, Crouse has kicked off his offensive producing in a positive note for a horrible Arizona Coyotes team. Crouse is known as like a bully on the ice, he'll get in your face, make you cry, and if you really piss him off, well, you might want to duck from a fist flying at your face, and to rub salt on the wound, he'll go out and put up a point to go along with his scary presence. At only 24 years old, and an RFA at the end of this year, if the Leafs were to acquire him, then they hold his negotiating rights this summer, and because he has only ever managed 20pts or so in a season, don't expect an extension to be over 2.5 million for the guy. If you want a mean, hard nose player who provides toughest and scoring depth, then Lawson Crouse is the man to go after, and Arizona is looking to sell, sell, and sell some more.

Cons:
          Many consider Crouse as another Nick Ritchie (and we know what Nick Ritchie can be like). But the positive side is that he's cheaper than Ritchie. Crouse is known to take some bad penalties every now and then, which could cost the team in going down in the game, but we have to realize here that in order to win hockey games, you need to be hard to play against, which causes great difficulty to the other team whos trying to create chances to score. The former Florida 1st round draft choice may have been overrated a little too much in his draft rankings years ago, and the fact that he'd been playing on really bad teams his entire career doesn't speak much about what he could actually bring to a contender like the leafs.
          DAL
            After a recent frustrated Klingberg took to a media interview and displayed his concern for the feeling of unappreciation by the Dallas Stars, insiders and and news outlets flocked and immediately began running up potential rumours of Klingberg being dealt at the deadline. But should Dallas do it, and should the Leafs come calling?

Pros:
            Klingberg is a few years shy of his 60+ point season. Known as a powerplay quarterback, and a top-pairing defenseman who logs 22-25 minutes of ice time a night, he (like Chychrun) are highly sought after deadline acquisitions at this years deadline. The difference between Chychrun and Klingberg however is that Chychrun still has 3 years remaining on his current contract (3 years, 4.6 million), while Klingberg is in the final year of his (1 year, 4.25 million). The other major difference is that Klingberg is a RD, and a right-handed shot, while Chychrun mainly plays LD, and is a left-handed shot. Klingberg is a terrific defensemen, and you know he is out looking for another run to the cup final, after previously doing it with Dallas 2 years ago, in which they lost to the Tampa Bay Lightning in the "Bubble Playoffs". Klingberg brings playoff experience, something that the leafs do not have other than how to lose in the first round (how petty of me lol). With the Muzzin and Holl pairing being the worst its ever been, and Holl looking like the eventual trade chip to get a replacement, Klingberg could slot in next to Muzzin on the second pair, riding a very could top 4 that would also include Rielly and Brodie on the top pair.

Cons:
            Like Chychrun, Klingberg will most likely leave your wallet empty after acquiring. Much like the ask for Chychrun (Young player, Top Prospect and a 1st) the leafs can most likely afford that, but it would take a big hit on their prospect pool, and it would possibly mean that one of either Sandin/Liljegren and Robertson/Amriov/Knies would be the pieces going to Dallas, something I'm sure Dubas may feel uneasy doing considering he'll most likely only get 20 regular-season games out of Klingberg, and if were extremely unlucky, another 1st round playoff exit. We already depleted our draft picks for Nick Foligno last year, which saw Columbus take Carson Ceulemans with our pick we had to give up to get 3 games of Foligno in the playoffs. That is something the leaf's cant afford, as anything is possible.
            MTL
              BOY, did I ever hate seeing him out on the ice during the playoffs last year when the leafs played the habs. Funny enough, I know him from when I was younster playing minor hockey in Newfoundland, and he was a member of the St. John's Ice Caps, the AHL affiliate to Winnipeg, and later on, ironically, Montreal. He taught me most of what I know about how to play defence, as he an another member of the Ice Caps did a program where they would attend a minor hockey practice within the city. Chiarot was assigned to mine, and he toke me aside during that practice to help me with my play, and gave me tips on how to properly defend, and because of that, I owe all of my success in minor hockey to him growing up playing minor hockey, which helped me become better and play at higher levels in minor hockey. But on with the list.

Pros:
              Ben Chiarot is a mean, bruising, hard-nosed defenceman on an awkwardly bad Montreal Canadiens team this year. With the loss of Shea Weber (probably forever) and Jeff Petry not putting up the points he's known to be doing, Ben Chiarot has pretty much become the team's number one guy on their blueline. He leads the teams defense in goals with 5, (although its been at a stand still for quite a while) and still displays the ability to be rough and tough in his own end, causing havoc for the opposing team. Let's not forget too that he isn't afraid to drop the mitts either, as he typically always finds himself going toe to toe with Wayne Simmonds every time the two meet in a game. The asking price for him may be high, while at the same time could be low, but Montreal is gonna want to get every last bit of value they can receive out of Chiarot, it just takes the right team with the right assets to call and make an offer. I would love a Muzzin and Chiarot pairing, just saying.

Cons:
              Chiarot is not a point producer by any means, although we can clearly see a sizeable difference in his past totals. Chiarot is known to take some bad penalties, but it usually comes by standing up for teammates, which is something to like about him as well. However, some believe the asking price for Chiarot maybe a 1st round pick, which in my eyes, is way too much for a defender of his calibre. The Leafs however have nice depth within their prospect pool, and maybe a guy like Kristians Rubins, a 6'5'', 24 year old may be a nice add to the Habs prospect pool if the leafs were to negotiate a deal to bring in Chiarot, but expect them to ask for more than just Rubins if they try to target Chiarot.
              Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
              Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              Logo de TOR
              TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
              2181 500 000 $81 158 116 $0 $400 000 $341 884 $
              Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
              Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
              950 000 $950 000 $
              AG
              UFA - 2
              11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
              C
              UFA - 3
              10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
              AD
              UFA - 4
              3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
              AG, C, AD
              UFA - 2
              11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
              C, AG
              NMC
              UFA - 4
              6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
              AD
              UFA - 3
              1 645 000 $1 645 000 $
              AG, AD
              UFA - 1
              1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
              AD
              UFA - 1
              2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
              AG
              UFA - 2
              1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
              C
              UFA - 2
              900 000 $900 000 $
              AD, AG
              NTC
              UFA - 2
              750 000 $750 000 $
              C, AD
              UFA - 1
              Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
              5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
              DG
              NMC
              UFA - 1
              5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
              DG/DD
              NTC
              UFA - 3
              1 650 000 $1 650 000 $
              G
              UFA - 1
              5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
              DG
              NTC
              UFA - 3
              2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
              DD
              M-NTC
              UFA - 2
              3 800 000 $3 800 000 $
              G
              M-NTC
              UFA - 3
              894 167 $894 167 $
              DG
              UFA - 1
              863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance400 000 $$400K)
              DD
              RFA - 1
              Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
              1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
              DG/DD
              UFA - 2
              Logo de Coyotes de l'Arizona
              4 600 000 $4 600 000 $
              DG/DD
              UFA - 4
              Logo de Coyotes de l'Arizona
              1 533 333 $1 533 333 $
              AG, AD
              UFA - 1
              Logo de Sabres de Buffalo
              1 600 000 $1 600 000 $
              DG
              UFA - 1
              Logo de Sabres de Buffalo
              1 050 000 $1 050 000 $
              AD, AG
              UFA - 1
              Logo de Stars de Dallas
              4 250 000 $4 250 000 $
              DD
              UFA - 1
              Logo de Canadiens de Montréal
              1 750 000 $1 750 000 $
              DG/DD
              M-NTC
              UFA - 1
              Équipe de réserve
              1 000 000 $1 000 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
              AG
              UFA - 1
              750 000 $750 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
              DD
              UFA - 1
              750 000 $750 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
              C, AG
              UFA - 1
              725 000 $725 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
              G
              UFA - 1
              1 250 000 $1 250 000 $ (125 000 $$125K125 000 $$125K)
              AD, AG
              UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
              • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
              13 janv. 2022 à 14 h 9
              Ballards Curse
              Rejoint: déc. 2017
              Mentions "j'aime": 271
              I think if Chychrun is comfortable playing the right side for this season, we should 100% go after him. Amirov, Liligren, and a 1st (As per Jeff Mareks reporting that they are looking for Brent Burns from MIN to SJS trade package).

Cap space we can work out in the offseason as I think this is Muzzins last year as a leaf, and Chych can step in on the left abd we can address his right side partner in the off season
              13 janv. 2022 à 14 h 9
              Marc Bergevin
              Rejoint: avr. 2021
              Mentions "j'aime": 181
              chariot for Amirov
              13 janv. 2022 à 14 h 20
              Démarrer sujet
              Rejoint: oct. 2020
              Mentions "j'aime": 123
              Quoting: hazard
              I think if Chychrun is comfortable playing the right side for this season, we should 100% go after him. Amirov, Liligren, and a 1st (As per Jeff Mareks reporting that they are looking for Brent Burns from MIN to SJS trade package).

Cap space we can work out in the offseason as I think this is Muzzins last year as a leaf, and Chych can step in on the left abd we can address his right side partner in the off season

I don't think Chychrun has, which is the problem. Yeah, id like to have Chychrun on the Leafs, but I don't think I like the idea of moving Liljegren and Amirov for him. At some point you gotta think about the future, and if Robertson and Amirov make the jump to the leafs in the next year or two, that's a HUGE addition to the LW.
              13 janv. 2022 à 15 h 27
              Banni
              Rejoint: mai 2018
              Mentions "j'aime": 7,855
              As we all know the 3rd best team in the entire NHL defensively, is desperate for defensive help. So we just don't bother with reality anymore I guess.
              13 janv. 2022 à 15 h 37
              Banni
              Rejoint: mai 2018
              Mentions "j'aime": 7,855
              Quoting: MarcBergevin69
              chariot for Amirov

Not ever. Chiarot will be a mistake for some old school GM who thinks slow tough guys still matter. They don't
              13 janv. 2022 à 16 h 4
              Rejoint: juin 2019
              Mentions "j'aime": 2,731
              You spent way too much time on this lol
              13 janv. 2022 à 16 h 16
              Démarrer sujet
              Quoting: SlevinKalevra
              You spent way too much time on this lol

Took me 10 minutes actually. I just know my sh*t
              gretzkyghosts a aimé ceci.
              13 janv. 2022 à 16 h 44
              Rejoint: juin 2019
              Mentions "j'aime": 2,731
              Quoting: jchafe77

I’d be the one to type away at something like this just to mis click something and lose all of it right as I tried to post lmao
              14 janv. 2022 à 10 h 22
              Rejoint: avr. 2018
              Mentions "j'aime": 4,797
              Quoting: jchafe77
              You certainly do know.
              Great job!
              GMTD a aimé ceci.
              15 janv. 2022 à 12 h 9
              Démarrer sujet
              Quoting: gretzkyghosts
              You certainly do know.
              Great job!

Thank you my friend! Hope all is well in Buffalo town with yall. Skinner had a good night against Nashville i noticed

Répondre
              To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
              Question:
              Options:
              Ajouter une option
              Soumettre le sondage