SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Nick Ritchie Rant

3 déc. 2021 à 9 h 40
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 93
Guys I generally enjoy coming on here and looking at different ideas for trades but I really hope I don’t have to see the same stuff with Ritchie for the next 4 months.

Ritchie might be moved if the leafs need cap space to bring in a bigger asset. In that scenario he could end up in Vancouver (Miller), Nashville (forsberg), ect. He could also just be dumped in a separate move to a team like Arizona, Buffalo, Ottawa.
He makes 2.5 Million next year, a lot of people here are acting like he makes 6 million for the next 5 years. He’s not that big of a negative asset it would stop a deal from happening.

The leafs will also not need to add a higher pick or prospect to him to move him.

Marleau cost a first for over 4 million more and he’s career was basically over.
Staal cost a second for over 5 million
There’s lots of examples of cap dumps for less value than what some people are trying to say.

I honestly think it’s just because it’s the leafs and they are always “in cap hell” so other fans think they have to pay Robertson to move a 2.5 million contract.

So for fans of other teams that see Ritchie going your way in a trade idea, he’s just there to make the money work, no one thinks he adds value but he’s also not really a negative asset. He could just be moved elsewhere anyways.
Trickster a aimé ceci.
3 déc. 2021 à 9 h 49
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,486
I see what you're saying, but nobody wants to pay a useless player 2.5M even if it's for one year.
3 déc. 2021 à 9 h 51
Banni
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,154
“I was a #Canucks fan, but I was never one of those guys that just hated the #Leafs,” says Vancouverite Alex Kerfoot. “A lot of people are just jealous the (Leafs) get more attention.”

this is true, jealous maybe strong but pissed off cause they get extra coverage is true, theyll have too much pride to admit it. North division narrative last year wouldnt have existed if the leafs werent in the division. every team has cap issues but the leafs are the only team in cap hell
rgwhite17 a aimé ceci.
3 déc. 2021 à 9 h 53
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,981
Quoting: zyyyp
I see what you're saying, but nobody wants to pay a useless player 2.5M even if it's for one year.

Teams that need to reach the cap floor will
3 déc. 2021 à 9 h 53
Banni
Quoting: zyyyp

but the narrative that the leafs need to offload a good prospect or a 1st to compensate for 2.5m is insane lol
3 déc. 2021 à 9 h 56
Trad Breliving
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,989
Marleau - $6.25M = 1st round pick
Staal - $5.7M = 2nd round pick

Ritchie - $2.5M = not Robertson, not a 2nd. Possibly a 4th.

A team like Arizona, Ottawa or any team trying to reach the cap floor would probably take him without compensation.
rgwhite17 et Trickster a aimé ceci.
3 déc. 2021 à 9 h 56
In Pridham we trust
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 1,969
Agreed, and the Leafs could also just demote him.

If he still has a goose egg 30 games in, (and Leafs need capspace to bring back mikheyev/mrazek) it's not as if he can be too offended with a demotion.

He can find his scoring touch with the Marlies, and come back if someone gets hurt, or when there's no cap in the playoffs.

Doubtful the Leafs pay to get rid of him.
3 déc. 2021 à 10 h 23
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 93
Quoting: vr1995
“I was a #Canucks fan, but I was never one of those guys that just hated the #Leafs,” says Vancouverite Alex Kerfoot. “A lot of people are just jealous the (Leafs) get more attention.”

this is true, jealous maybe strong but pissed off cause they get extra coverage is true, theyll have too much pride to admit it. North division narrative last year wouldnt have existed if the leafs werent in the division. every team has cap issues but the leafs are the only team in cap hell

Totally agree! I’m just dying for the leafs to add JT Miller or Forsberg at the deadline so casual fans can react with “but they are in cap hell, how can they afford it”
3 déc. 2021 à 10 h 25
Banni
Quoting: rgwhite17
Totally agree! I’m just dying for the leafs to add JT Miller or Forsberg at the deadline so casual fans can react with “but they are in cap hell, how can they afford it”

so many teams are in cap hell, the leafs have done nothing for so long but are still so hated, people also act like they are the only fans that overvalue their players
3 déc. 2021 à 18 h 5
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,673
Ritchie despite not scoring has been fine

Leading the team with 60 hits

Pisses off the other team sometimes leading to a PP for us

Is a deterrent for teams trying something against the big 4

And occasionally creates plays that lead to goals.

So as of now see no reason to move or get rid of him
LFKevin21 et BigDaddyOvech a aimé ceci.
3 déc. 2021 à 23 h 39
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,601

I mean this as no disrespect but for anyone who has not spent any serious amount of time living in Ontario, the amount of coverage the Leafs get is warranted.

I've lived most of my life in downtown Toronto and spent the last few years in and around the GTA so speaking from experience, I can say that the team gets the coverage because the number of eyeballs focused, good, bad or indifferent.
Trickster a aimé ceci.
6 déc. 2021 à 14 h 39
Save Ukrane, end war
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 783
Quoting: aadoyle
Ritchie despite not scoring has been fine

Leading the team with 60 hits

Pisses off the other team sometimes leading to a PP for us

Is a deterrent for teams trying something against the big 4

And occasionally creates plays that lead to goals.

So as of now see no reason to move or get rid of him

I agree with you. It's frustrating watching him when he's invisible though. It's interesting because he has the ability to play the gritty game that fans have criticized the leafs lacking. The game against the Bruins in particular, he was great. He played with an edge and seemed to really ignite some energy in the lineup. So the potential to rise in the playoffs is definitely there. I think the real issue is that Keefe has talked to him specifically about staying out of the box and that messaging can be confusing for the player.
oneX et Trickster a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2021 à 23 h 56
Hakuna Matata
He got a goal were good now
BigDaddyOvech, mondo et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 déc. 2021 à 0 h 26
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,357
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Teams that need to reach the cap floor will

Few teams need to reach the cap floor. Wouldn't a team by better off signing a UFA for 2.5m who is a better player than Ritchie? Could also acquire a LTIR player.
8 déc. 2021 à 0 h 34
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
Few teams need to reach the cap floor. Wouldn't a team by better off signing a UFA for 2.5m who is a better player than Ritchie? Could also acquire a LTIR player.

True but lets say your Arizona. What good player wants to go there in free agency. Especially with the projections not looking good for the next 3-5 years. They dont got a lot of money to spend either as that teams revenue be near the bottom of the NHL.

I think they will once again take on cap and a guy like Ritchie gets them there.

Plus LTIR contracts probs gonna be by teams like Tampa and Vegas so they dont need to get rid of their players anymore.
Trickster a aimé ceci.
8 déc. 2021 à 0 h 36
Ovchinnikov 137

Lmfao, pls. BUF will have close to 40+mil in cap space next year with Olofsson as their only major RFA to sign.

The ARI will have close to 50mil in cap space next year with Crouse and a underachieving Hayton as the only major RFA’s to sign.

There are two for you.
Trickster a aimé ceci.
8 déc. 2021 à 0 h 47
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,357
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Lmfao, pls. BUF will have close to 40+mil in cap space next year with Olofsson as their only major RFA to sign.

The ARI will have close to 50mil in cap space next year with Crouse and a underachieving Hayton as the only major RFA’s to sign.

There are two for you.

I think you proved my point. Arizona has just six players under contract for next season and eight RFAs. So they can fill those other eight positions will some UFAs, as some players will want to continue their NHL careers even in Arizona. I'm just saying, probably Arizona/Buffalo can get a better player for 2.5m rather than Ritchie. Heck virtually all teams would like dump cap. Just no reason to think the Leafs and Ritchie will be the chosen one.
8 déc. 2021 à 9 h 6
Save Ukrane, end war
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 783
Quoting: aadoyle
He got a goal were good now

Watch out the flood gates are open!

For real though I'm happy for him. I like the chemistry Kampf and Kase have and they create lots of opportunities with just plain hard work. If Ritchie could carve out a role with them and start banging the odd puck in, there could be good fit. Once Mikey is back though I gotta think he's a natural to fit in with the other two. I did notice that on several plays Ritchie did a real good job of identifying the D pinching and was the first guy back to make a seemingly easy play defensively, but had he not been there would have been at least 3 odd man rushes I counted. Small things like that, that go generally unnoticed are things that keep you in a coaches good grace.
8 déc. 2021 à 9 h 29
Ovchinnikov 137
I think you proved my point. Arizona has just six players under contract for next season and eight RFAs. So they can fill those other eight positions will some UFAs, as some players will want to continue their NHL careers even in Arizona. I'm just saying, probably Arizona/Buffalo can get a better player for 2.5m rather than Ritchie. Heck virtually all teams would like dump cap. Just no reason to think the Leafs and Ritchie will be the chosen one.

What point, you have none. What big ticket free agent is going to sign there 🤦‍♂️They will be a dumbing ground for bad contracts
5 janv. 2022 à 23 h 49
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 538
every team has cap issues but the leafs are the only team in cap hell

What is your definition of “cap hell”? Cap hell to me is when you’re over the cap, you have to get under it, and the only way to do that is to give up valuable assets to get somebody else to take a bad contract off your hands. The Leafs may have been in that situation in the past (though I think what they did with Patrick Marleau was actually part of their plan all along) but I don’t think they’re there now. They are at the cap, so they can’t make a move that adds salary, but that’s not hell unless you’re a bad team with no upside. The Leafs appear to be one of the best teams in the league now, so it just looks like a good return on investment to me. If they weren’t spending to the cap we’d accuse them of being cheap and not doing all they can to build a winner. They’ll have to do something in the off-season if the cap stays flat and they want to extend Campbell, but that’s not a problem now so what is so hellish about their situation?
6 janv. 2022 à 8 h 38
Banni
Quoting: jr400
What is your definition of “cap hell”? Cap hell to me is when you’re over the cap, you have to get under it, and the only way to do that is to give up valuable assets to get somebody else to take a bad contract off your hands. The Leafs may have been in that situation in the past (though I think what they did with Patrick Marleau was actually part of their plan all along) but I don’t think they’re there now. They are at the cap, so they can’t make a move that adds salary, but that’s not hell unless you’re a bad team with no upside. The Leafs appear to be one of the best teams in the league now, so it just looks like a good return on investment to me. If they weren’t spending to the cap we’d accuse them of being cheap and not doing all they can to build a winner. They’ll have to do something in the off-season if the cap stays flat and they want to extend Campbell, but that’s not a problem now so what is so hellish about their situation?

tbh when i wrote it it was meant to be more like "cap hell" with some sarcasm, im a leaf fan just find it funny how every team thinks the leafs are the only team with cap issues
9 janv. 2022 à 8 h 33
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 538
tbh when i wrote it it was meant to be more like "cap hell" with some sarcasm, im a leaf fan just find it funny how every team thinks the leafs are the only team with cap issues

Sorry I missed that subtlety. I agree with you. I heard that they put him on waivers, but I think that just means that they think they could benefit from being able to use his cap hit a different way. Still not cap hell, in my opinion. They're not at the point of having to pay somebody to take him.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage