SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New York Rangers

Lafreniere Has Not Taken Enough Initiative Since Arriving

1 déc. 2021 à 12 h 23
Marner Enthusiast
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 996
We are 2 months into Lafreniere's second season and he still hasn't made much of an impact. He's not playing poorly, but he hasn't emerged as the franchise level power forward he was touted to be. I have followed the situation closely and have examined the decisions of the coaching staff as well as the players. I feel I can no longer criticize the coaching staff for their utilization of the player as the rest of the team is playing quite well.

At this point, I have to feel that Lafreniere hasn't taken enough initiative to fulfill his potential as a superstar. He seems to be satisfied doing exactly what his coach wants but he doesn't exceed it like other top players. For example, his main role on the team since joining has been forechecking, winning board battles and carrying the puck in transition. He has done those aspects well, but he has not achieved anything when he has the opportunity to hold onto the puck and make a play. Most of the time, he just defers or throws the puck into the corner for his teammates to retrieve. Not enough is happening with him in the offensive zone and that is reflected in his lack of assists and created expected goals.

I'm not sure why exactly he is behaving this way on the ice, maybe he is scared of making the wrong decision and costing his team or maybe he simply feels that what he's currently contributing is good enough for the time being. Either way, I can understand why the coach keeps benching him because he is not effective in high leverage situations. I think this is the main part of his game he needs to work on.
1 déc. 2021 à 12 h 24
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 996
What'd you guys think of this Lafreniere issue?

@aecliptic @Ragsandbluesfan @Delneggs
1 déc. 2021 à 12 h 33
MGITBPITNHL
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,530
Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary

aecliptic Ragsandbluesfan Delneggs

You’re obsessed over the fact that he’s not a superstar for whatever reason.
Fox_Czar_Cup a aimé ceci.
1 déc. 2021 à 12 h 37
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 123
I think Laf needs to be in a top 6 role. Not because he's this highly touted prospect, but because he has a scoring touch to his game that made him a sought-after 1st overall draft choice. Hes a big strong frame, and I can bet you my entire life savings that in 5 years time, he'd become the scariest player to ever go up against because you know that not only is he going to score, but he's gonna run you over in the process. The Coaches are not realizing his offensive upside, but rather seeing him as a shutdown-only player.

And here's where I may stir some controversy, but I think Laf is not a fit in NYR. NYR was pretty lucky to receive the 1st overall pick back in 2020 after the pause and play-in playoffs, but in reality, they didn't need a player like Laf when you already got Kreider and Panarin on the LW, and now Goodrow (Goodrow is fully capable of playing the 3rd line, he did it in Tampa with Gourde and Coleman).

If things don't turn around soon, then expect NYR to make a splash. He has a lot of value, and just about every team in the league will be knocking at the door to inquire Laf. The Rangers have a good group up front. IMO if there's a way that NYR can bring in a top 2/top 4 defender (yes, I do know that K'andre Miller is on the team), ideally to play with Fox, then NYR will be contending for a LONG time.
areax91 a aimé ceci.
1 déc. 2021 à 12 h 45
Hawks Fan
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,598
So you just went off on a 19 year old for not being a superstar and criticized him for not working hard enough and going above and beyond then went out and traded for Strome who it is well documented doesn’t work hard enough or goes above and beyond. You went from 1 problem to 2 problems.
Josh et Fox_Czar_Cup a aimé ceci.
1 déc. 2021 à 12 h 47
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,265
He’s definitely not the second coming but I could se him developing into a Chris Kreider type guy
Fox_Czar_Cup a aimé ceci.
1 déc. 2021 à 12 h 56
Habs 2010
Rejoint: mai 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 930
Confidence is huge. Feels like many 1st overall picks are being rushed to the NHL these days, just one extra year of development can do wonders for a players confidence. Let him play like a superstar in lower levels and he will bring that attitude with him in the NHL. Can you imagine how hard it is for an 18 year old to play among the best in the world? It takes an exceptional talent to star in that situation... not every draft has that. As you pointed out, the situation with NYR isn't favourable for Lafreniere since they have some very talented wingers already.

Good for Owen Power taking another year in the NCAA.
Barilko14 et Zinger a aimé ceci.
1 déc. 2021 à 13 h 4
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,253
Laf lives rent free in your head fr. you’re always trading him or posting about him
ChiHawk, Josh, Barilko14 and 3 others a aimé ceci.
1 déc. 2021 à 13 h 12
Mr.T 17
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 338
Laf needs to be paired up with the likes of Draisaitl or Bergeron, and on the right wing because of his type of play, also, his development was rushed, if he's going to play great for the Rangers, he needed to stay in the minors for another year, start his first year on the 3rd line and work his way up, same story for Kakko
1 déc. 2021 à 13 h 16
Your favorite Ranger
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 304
Forget where we drafted him. At this point it means nothing. He is a young player, just like Kakko or a ton of guys in AHL, juniors. Swimming with the big fishes in the big pond.
RussianRangers9 a aimé ceci.
1 déc. 2021 à 13 h 20
RussianRangers39
Rejoint: nov. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 353

so heres my cup of tea. Laf has been miles better than last year, sorry im better saying meters not yet miles. He needs his time to go boom and hes getting there. He has not been as huge as we all thought he would but thats a given as ny makes prospects seem way too much over the top. He is not near a bust, same with kakko who has been solid. Next year, laf will solidify himself for sure and maybe even this year. hes doing fine so im not too worried
1 déc. 2021 à 13 h 27
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,426
Quoting: mhroblak

Give him and Kakko both 8x8 contracts
Masonh618 et IconicHawk a aimé ceci.
1 déc. 2021 à 13 h 44
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,515

You're the one with the "issue" and I'll just leave it there.
Masonh618 a aimé ceci.
1 déc. 2021 à 14 h 1
In Pridham we trust
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 1,969
And that's another edition of Sheary's sports psychology from afar.
Masonh618 a aimé ceci.
1 déc. 2021 à 14 h 47
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,508
Quoting: RussianRangers9
so heres my cup of tea. Laf has been miles better than last year, sorry im better saying meters not yet miles. He needs his time to go boom and hes getting there. He has not been as huge as we all thought he would but thats a given as ny makes prospects seem way too much over the top. He is not near a bust, same with kakko who has been solid. Next year, laf will solidify himself for sure and maybe even this year. hes doing fine so im not too worried

Agree 💯 with this. Also that he should be in the top 6 on the LW which means we need to move Kreids to 3LW or RW which isn’t his cup of tea either. Most people that make these “points” criticism need to factor in TOI and PP time and let’s face it, 3rd line and 2nd PP just isn’t going to produce 30G and 40A. I don’t think 97 could pull it off but might be close so there’s 0 chance anyone else can.
2 déc. 2021 à 2 h 12
Breadman likes Bread
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,729
I think there’s only one right answer. Everywhere he’s went, he’s always been the “best player” or the “go-to guy”. With where he is now, he’s obviously not that. I think Quinn had a large part in his confidence downturn, because he was putting up numbers to the likes of Sidney Crosby. Sure, not every prospect who dominates in other leagues can translate their skills at the NHL level, but this guy has all the tools to be one of the best wingers in the league. So, the main question is “Why?”. Again, I think it’s all because he isn’t the main guy. If you stick Laf on a team like Buffalo, Seattle, or Arizona, he would get more ice time, more confidence, and therefore would play better. The Rangers play in one of the largest markets in the NHL, so coming into the league, the spotlight was all on him. He’s shown flashes of brilliance, but it’s all a matter of him catching fire at the right time. If he hits 23-24 and it’s still the same results, I’d look at shipping him off for a better piece, but I have a gut feeling everything will work out.
2 déc. 2021 à 14 h 19
New York Rangers
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 517
We are 2 months into Lafreniere's second season and he still hasn't made much of an impact. He's not playing poorly, but he hasn't emerged as the franchise level power forward he was touted to be. I have followed the situation closely and have examined the decisions of the coaching staff as well as the players. I feel I can no longer criticize the coaching staff for their utilization of the player as the rest of the team is playing quite well.

At this point, I have to feel that Lafreniere hasn't taken enough initiative to fulfill his potential as a superstar. He seems to be satisfied doing exactly what his coach wants but he doesn't exceed it like other top players. For example, his main role on the team since joining has been forechecking, winning board battles and carrying the puck in transition. He has done those aspects well, but he has not achieved anything when he has the opportunity to hold onto the puck and make a play. Most of the time, he just defers or throws the puck into the corner for his teammates to retrieve. Not enough is happening with him in the offensive zone and that is reflected in his lack of assists and created expected goals.

I'm not sure why exactly he is behaving this way on the ice, maybe he is scared of making the wrong decision and costing his team or maybe he simply feels that what he's currently contributing is good enough for the time being. Either way, I can understand why the coach keeps benching him because he is not effective in high leverage situations. I think this is the main part of his game he needs to work on.

I understand this forum post completely, and have felt the same way about Lafrenière at the beginning of the year (around when he was demoted). But, now I feel that he is playing his best NHL level hockey (no points, but making great strides in his defensive game and general hockey skill). Lafrenière will get his chance to shine, most likely next year or if Kreider/Panarin get COVID or injured, and that will give a better view into his skill. Also, he enjoys the confidence of Gallant and that is very valuable (his 3rd line is looking good and there is no reason to move him off of that line right now).
2 déc. 2021 à 14 h 21
New York Rangers
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 517
Quoting: jet11567
He’s definitely not the second coming but I could se him developing into a Chris Kreider type guy

I could see him turn into a Marchand type (not being a rat, but talking skill).
27 déc. 2021 à 12 h 39
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,439
Quoting: mhroblak

Well he isn’t for one at least not yet
4 janv. 2022 à 10 h 39
MGITBPITNHL
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,530
Quoting: IconicHawk
Well he isn’t for one at least not yet

Did I say otherwise?
14 févr. 2022 à 9 h 15
Meatmarket
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 32
Quoting: Agent_Of_R9

He needs consistent minutes with Krieds/Mika and PP1 time. He shows flashes of the offensive potential.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage