SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Gorton is the GM of the team

29 nov. 2021 à 12 h 45
Molson beer is meh
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,675
From what I got from Molson's press conference, he wanted to most qualified person for the job and got Gorton (seems like a great choice), but he can't officially call him the GM because he doesn't speak french. So he labels him VP of Hockey operations, and will most likely find a french speaking GM with very little experience that will "learn from Gorton", or in other words, just do what Gorton says. Nothing wrong with doing that.

I could be wrong, but that's what I took away from the conference.
gm_jeanguy a aimé ceci.
30 nov. 2021 à 9 h 14
Habs fan somehow
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 80
Quoting: Blazingbat11
Nothing wrong with doing that.

French is my mother language and I couldn't agree more. Enough with the "GM and coach must speak french" thing, this is just to avoid a media crisis and brings zero value to the process of icing a team that wins championships in the modern NHL.
30 nov. 2021 à 11 h 28
Démarrer sujet
Molson beer is meh
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,675
Quoting: gm_jeanguy
French is my mother language and I couldn't agree more. Enough with the "GM and coach must speak french" thing, this is just to avoid a media crisis and brings zero value to the process of icing a team that wins championships in the modern NHL.

Agreed. I don't think it should be fully ignored however. So long as it doesn't interfere with the most qualified person getting the job to build a winning roster. and you could have multiple "most qualified" candidates. It can be very subjective.

Hypothetically. Let's say there are only two candidates for the GM job. BOTH are equally qualified for the position with regards to Hockey expertise and experience, but one only speaks English, and the other is bilingual. If it were any other team in the NHL, the language component really doesn't matter, so they would be free to take either candidate. but with MTL I think in this circumstance, language is the deciding factor and the job is given to the bilingual candidate.

As I said, as long as the most qualified person gets the job. Language comes secondary. and I think this is what Molson did. He decided that Gorton was the best candidate period, and worked around the language barrier by creating a new title for him, with the promise to French media that a French speaking individual will still be GM.

The only issue with this is finding a GM who is alright with not being the one who pulls the strings. Without a doubt, generally speaking, people who hold these high end leadership positions....want to be in control...and the new GM is not going to get all of it in MTL now.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
30 nov. 2021 à 12 h 39
Habs fan somehow
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 80
Quoting: Blazingbat11
So long as it doesn't interfere with the most qualified person getting the job to build a winning roster.

That's exactly where the pitfall is. Statistically, it's just highly improbable that at the very moment you're looking to hire an hockey exec you'll end up hiring the most qualified individual if you make "must speak french" a sine qua none requirement. There's something like 15 million FR speakers in the countries where hockey is a thing, while there are 20x more EN speakers in Canada and the US alone, plus most Europeans speak EN while very few speak FR outside of France, Belgium and Switzerland.
7 févr. 2022 à 1 h 34
Le patriote
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,369
Quoting: gm_jeanguy
That's exactly where the pitfall is. Statistically, it's just highly improbable that at the very moment you're looking to hire an hockey exec you'll end up hiring the most qualified individual if you make "must speak french" a sine qua none requirement. There's something like 15 million FR speakers in the countries where hockey is a thing, while there are 20x more EN speakers in Canada and the US alone, plus most Europeans speak EN while very few speak FR outside of France, Belgium and Switzerland.

bon c'est fait on a un gm mais dites moi un job qui requiert le bilinguisme comme base est-ce que c'est problématique? C'est intégré au job, ah ouais être anglais c'est mieux. Désolé, mais ça frôle l'indécence ce genre de discussion. Est-ce que les hauts placés au Québec doivent abandonner la langue de la place pour favoriser un possible gain futur soir une mince chance sur 32 au total dans une guerre à finir, ou est-ce qu'on développe le talent local comme on veut acheter local? (oh et jme casse pas la noix pour traduire hein)
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage