Alexis Lafreniere Still Has Not Impressed

Will Lafreniere Figure It Out?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

24 nov. 2021 à 18 h 56
Marner Enthusiast
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 996
I know we just made a post a couple of weeks ago about him but I can’t help than to feel frustrated to see that Lafreniere has still not improved. We can’t blame the team anymore since they are playing well, plus there are multiple forwards from Lafreniere’s draft class who are outperforming him such as Raymond, Lundell, Jarvis, Stutzle and Mercer. So what exactly isn’t working for him at this point? I will give my personal observations below.

The Numbers: This is the one aspect in which Lafreniere does not look out of place in. Only 5 points through 18 games, but the underlying numbers are decent. He has the second highest on ice expected goals for per 60 amongst Rangers forwards, while his shooting selection and pass generation suggest he is nearly as efficient as some of the top playmaking wingers today. If we were to look at these, it would suggest that he’s on verge of breaking out, but it still hasn’t happened.

Marner - 0.66 iXG/60 + 0.73 xA/60

Kane - 0.66 iXG/60 + 0.82 xA/60

Huberdeau - 0.69 iXG/60 + 0.68 xA

Lafreniere - 0.75 iXG/60 + 0.62 xA

Marchand - 0.76 iXG/60 + 0.73 xA

Kaprizov - 0.76 iXG/60 + 0.61 xA

The Eye Test: This is probably most concerning observation of Lafreniere so far in his career. When he’s on the ice, he looks out of place, there is a clear gap between him and his opponents in ability. Though he hasn’t been able to accomplish anything consistently, his forecheck is probably the least worrisome of his abilities. He isn’t fast, but I’ve seen his plenty of times use his physicality and deceptiveness to retrieve the puck. Some nights he looks slow and out of gas, but I think he’s shown he’s got enough natural ability in this aspect. What really concerns me is he hasn’t shown any ability to facilitate plays with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone. Other than getting shots off in obvious goal scoring areas, he hasn’t been able to hold onto it and dictate the play. He looks completely lost when he gets it and will either defer it or dump it into a corner. At this point, it almost seems like he is scared of making a bad decision, he doesn’t want to turn it over or make an incorrect play that costs his team a scoring chance.

I have to admit, I don’t like that Gallant is always benching him, but the team is playing well and are looking to contend for the Cup, so you can’t have someone on the roster who’s not ready to play. I don’t want to call him a bust yet, but I think it’s getting to a point in which NYR should explore loaning him to Hartford or Europe to work on his game, maybe even trade him for a similar level prospect, cuz he’s not good enough for a roster spot on their team right now. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a first overall pick look so petrified to receive the puck.

What’d y’all think?
sedin33 a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2021 à 18 h 58
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Modifié 24 nov. 2021 à 21 h 19
Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary
I know we just made a post a couple of weeks ago about him but I can’t help than to feel frustrated to see that Lafreniere has still not improved. We can’t blame the team anymore since they are playing well, plus there are multiple forwards from Lafreniere’s draft class who are outperforming him such as Raymond, Lundell, Jarvis, Stutzle and Mercer. So what exactly isn’t working for him at this point? I will give my personal observations below.

The Numbers: This is the one aspect in which Lafreniere does not look out of place in. Only 5 points through 18 games, but the underlying numbers are decent. He has the second highest on ice expected goals for per 60 amongst Rangers forwards, while his shooting selection and pass generation suggest he is nearly as efficient as some of the top playmaking wingers today. If we were to look at these, it would suggest that he’s on verge of breaking out, but it still hasn’t happened.

The Eye Test: This is probably most concerning observation of Lafreniere so far in his career. When he’s on the ice, he looks out of place, there is a clear gap between him and his opponents in ability. Though he hasn’t been able to accomplish anything consistently, his forecheck is probably the least worrisome of his abilities. He isn’t fast, but I’ve seen his plenty of times use his physicality and deceptiveness to retrieve the puck. Some nights he looks slow and out of gas, but I think he’s shown he’s got enough natural ability in this aspect. What really concerns me is he hasn’t shown any ability to facilitate plays with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone. Other than getting shots off in obvious goal scoring areas, he hasn’t been able to hold onto it and dictate the play. He looks completely lost when he gets it and will either defer it or dump it into a corner. At this point, it almost seems like he is scared of making a bad decision, he doesn’t want to turn it over or make an incorrect play that costs his team a scoring chance.

I have to admit, I don’t like that Gallant is always benching him, but the team is playing well and are looking to contend for the Cup, so you can’t have someone on the roster who’s not ready to play. I don’t want to call him a bust yet, but I think it’s getting to a point in which NYR should explore loaning him to Hartford or Europe to work on his game, maybe even trade him for a similar level prospect, cuz he’s not good enough for a roster spot on their team right now. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a first overall pick look so petrified to receive the puck.

What’d y’all think?

Sorry for the tag, just wanna hear your thoughts on this!
24 nov. 2021 à 19 h 0
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,562
No idea what this is about or why I have a quote post in here
Saskleaf, Fox_Czar_Cup, Roysboy72 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2021 à 19 h 0
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,275
He just turned 20 in October.

Smarten up.

31 other teams would LOVE to have this guy.
Saskleaf, cody_tugak, CD282 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2021 à 19 h 1
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,152
Quoting: ON3M4N

I was wondering the same.
Fox_Czar_Cup, cody_tugak, TheMooterus and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2021 à 19 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: ON3M4N

I just want to hear you’re opinion on think of this issue?
24 nov. 2021 à 19 h 3
retired
Mentions "j'aime": 4,761
re: re: re: re: re: re: lafreniere
24 nov. 2021 à 19 h 12
Rangers 2023
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 5,430
Hes playing great hockey rn on what should be our 3rd line going forward
24 nov. 2021 à 19 h 16
NoWah49
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,432
not on the Rangers, they don't know how to develop for ****
24 nov. 2021 à 19 h 21
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 6,101

What’d y’all think?

No, they should put him on waivers.

Who cares if he's waiver exempt.

WAIVERS I SAY!
24 nov. 2021 à 19 h 55
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,293
I feel like he may need to learn how to play more like Matthew Tkachuk. Maybe not the agitator part of his game but definitely how Tkachuk forechecks, backchecks, makes plays in tight, uses his body, etc all while being a below average skater.
24 nov. 2021 à 20 h 3
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,450
Can you not mass tag people through quotes please and thanks??
Saskleaf, Roysboy72, Stevierebz and 3 others a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2021 à 20 h 7
Go leafs go
Mentions "j'aime": 9,152
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

He does this frequently.
EsoYeezus69 et NR1203 a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2021 à 20 h 23
Rejoint: oct. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,356
Kid has plenty of time on his side. He isn't a bust and needs to be given time to develop in the NHL. Some go quicker then others but he could still be that good hockey player most of us thought he would be. Btw, its not like he is glaringly bad. For example, Kirby Dach isn't putting up as many points as I would like, but I am seeing so many aspects of his game improve that I'm not worried by his point production currently. The same can be said for Lafreniere
HOCKEYBOY448 et TJTwolf a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2021 à 20 h 26
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,450
Quoting: Saskleaf
He does this frequently.

The next time it happens - to anyone that may be quoted - please tag me in the thread and I'll deal with it
EsoYeezus69, Saskleaf et NR1203 a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2021 à 20 h 47
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Trevorchef
He just turned 20 in October.

Smarten up.

31 other teams would LOVE to have this guy.

Yeah as a Leaf fan I’d be willing to get him, even if he costs a top prospect like Amirov.
24 nov. 2021 à 20 h 47
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
Hes playing great hockey rn on what should be our 3rd line going forward

Is he playing well? He’s got 5 points in 18 games.
24 nov. 2021 à 20 h 47
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: NoWah49
not on the Rangers, they don't know how to develop for ****

Well, Kakko is playing really well.
HOCKEYBOY448 a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2021 à 20 h 48
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
I feel like he may need to learn how to play more like Matthew Tkachuk. Maybe not the agitator part of his game but definitely how Tkachuk forechecks, backchecks, makes plays in tight, uses his body, etc all while being a below average skater.

I think Lafreniere is already showing the forechecking & physicality elements of guys like Tkachuk. The problem is the play dies on his stick every time he touches it.
24 nov. 2021 à 20 h 48
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

Yes sir.
BeterChiarelli a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2021 à 20 h 50
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Aussie_Blackhawk
Kid has plenty of time on his side. He isn't a bust and needs to be given time to develop in the NHL. Some go quicker then others but he could still be that good hockey player most of us thought he would be. Btw, its not like he is glaringly bad. For example, Kirby Dach isn't putting up as many points as I would like, but I am seeing so many aspects of his game improve that I'm not worried by his point production currently. The same can be said for Lafreniere

Yeah some players need more time to develop but Lafreniere’s floor for an elite talent is as low as I’ve ever seen.
cody_tugak a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2021 à 21 h 8
Mr.T 17
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 338
He's just on the wrong team, can't find chemistry with other players on the team, NYR rushed him, he should have stayed another year in the minors, Sens should trade for him... If he doesn't play good this year, I'm sure his value will lower and possibly can get him at a lower cost
24 nov. 2021 à 21 h 19
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: cody_tugak
He's just on the wrong team, can't find chemistry with other players on the team, NYR rushed him, he should have stayed another year in the minors, Sens should trade for him... If he doesn't play good this year, I'm sure his value will lower and possibly can get him at a lower cost

I think one of the reasons why he can't find chemistry with his teammates is cuz he's scared of them. Cuz he's never willing to try anything on his own.
24 nov. 2021 à 21 h 19
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,293
I think Lafreniere is already showing the forechecking & physicality elements of guys like Tkachuk. The problem is the play dies on his stick every time he touches it.

That's kinda what i mean. MT has become well known as a strong 2-way star player despite his lacking footspeed. Similarly Lafreniere lacks foot speed but has all the tools to be a similar style player to Tkachuk. I think he should model his game even more like Tkachuk's.
24 nov. 2021 à 21 h 20
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
That's kinda what i mean. MT has become well known as a strong 2-way star player despite his lacking footspeed. Similarly Lafreniere lacks foot speed but has all the tools to be a similar style player to Tkachuk. I think he should model his game even more like Tkachuk's.

Yeah for sure, one of my friends on IG suggested he could be a poor mans Tkachuk.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage