SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread

28 nov. 2021 à 7 h 4
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,336
Quoting: Alfie11
Honestly I usually don’t scout more than like 20 guys this early into the year. You’re lucky if you get more than 1 scouting report on a guy currently ranked outside the 1st round on most people’s list at this point in the season. It’s honestly better to wait until near the end of the regular season, and then you get like the THN top 100 + HMs in their draft preview, Dobber has more info on guys, the hockey writers starts doing more scouting profiles, etc. and you can get different scouting reports that aren’t locked behind a paywall. Plus it’s a crapshoot right now, probably 3-5 guys that look like top 20 locks today will slip outside the 1st, and some guys nobody has ever heard of, and those that have consider a late round pick, will have a great WJC or Hlinka-Gretzky, tear up the last half of their season in junior, and go in the 1st round. Although I’m probably gonna buy the athletic because $12 for the year is nothing lol, and I’ll check out what Pronman’s saying, but yeah, as far as free scouting goes, it’s so difficult it’s generally not worth doing more than listening to podcasts from draft experts until like April.

Last year I did fine I think and I was pretty much only using The Hockey Writers’s prospect profiles and FC Hockey’s articles and the scouting reports I had access too. So now that I’ve expanded my range of sites and the way I scout, I’ll easily be fine.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 10 h 24
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
Devon Levi selected in the 7th round of the 2020 NHL Draft. Traded to BUF, in his sophomore season at Northeastern, he is rocking an astonishing .950 save % and a 1.43 GAA in 16 GP.

Dustin Wolff selected in 7th round of the 2019 NHL Entry Draft.
Has a .932 save percentage so far this season with the Stockton Heat and is 7-0-2 with a 2.19GAA.

STEALS
capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan, zk97 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 10 h 40
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
Modifié 29 nov. 2021 à 10 h 45
CBJ Prospect Spotlight, Episode 3

Peter Thome
Goaltender
Drafted: 2016, 6th Round (166th overall)
Current Status: Reserve List (rights expire August 15th, 2022)

-As much as it would have been cool, he is not related to Cleveland baseball legend and Baseball Hall of Famer Jim Thome. He is related to a baseball player, though: his cousin Andrew is a pitcher in the Houston Astros organization.

-He's spent 5 years in the NCAA, which i didn't think was even possible. 4 years in North Dakota and 1 year at St. Thomas.

-In terms of awards, he was the runner up in the NCAA (NCHC) championship and won a Penrose Cup as regular season champion.

-I couldn't find a single solitary bit of film on this guy, which is weird because UND is a big hockey school, and he made a total of 42 starts over the 4 years he was there.

-In terms of stats, he had an average SV% of .871 and a GAA of 3.69. That's bad.

FInal thoughts: AHL depth at best. I always have him penciled in as the starting goalie in Cleveland (over JF Berube), but i feel like we're going to draft a goalie with one of our mid-round picks (someone like Braden Holt). He'll be backing up whoever we draft/sign in the AHL.
29 nov. 2021 à 10 h 42
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Devon Levi selected in the 7th round of the 2020 NHL Draft. Traded to BUF, in his sophomore season at Northeastern, he is rocking an astonishing .950 save % and a 1.43 GAA in 16 GP.

Dustin Wolff selected in 7th round of the 2019 NHL Entry Draft.
Has a .932 save percentage so far this season with the Stockton Heat and is 7-0-2 with a 2.19GAA.

STEALS

Cayden Primeau is also a goalie picked in the 7th round that's a steal, in fact, there's probably more late-round goalies that develop than early-round goalies
MatthewsFan, zk97 et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 10 h 47
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Bobcat205

Peter Thome
Goaltender

-As much as it would have been cool, he is not related to Cleveland baseball legend and Baseball Hall of Famer Jim Thome. He is related to a baseball player, though: his cousin Andrew is a pitcher in the Houston Astros organization.

-He's spent 5 years in the NCAA, which i didn't think was even possible. 4 years in North Dakota and 1 year at St. Thomas.

-In terms of awards, he was the runner up in the NCAA (NCHC) championship and won a Penrose Cup as regular season champion.

-I couldn't find a single solitary bit of film on this guy, which is weird because UND is a big hockey school, and he made a total of 42 starts over the 4 years he was there.

-In terms of stats, he had an average SV% of .871 and a GAA of 3.69. That's bad.

FInal thoughts: AHL depth at best. I always have him penciled in as the starting goalie in Cleveland (over JF Berube), but i feel like we're going to draft a goalie with one of our mid-round picks (someone like Braden Holt). He'll be backing up whoever we draft/sign in the AHL.

Thanks, i have to say that all 3 CBJ prospects whose rights are currently set to expire this year ( expiry dates can change ), i don't see any of them signing, maybe Karlberg
capsfan2121, Bobcat205 et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 10 h 51
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,267
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Cayden Primeau is also a goalie picked in the 7th round that's a steal, in fact, there's probably more late-round goalies that develop than early-round goalies

That's pretty obvious though. There are a lot more goalies picked in the late rounds than the early rounds. And goalies are crap shoots
capsfan2121 et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 17 h 25
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: Bobcat205

Peter Thome
Goaltender

Is Tarasov not the AHL starter?
29 nov. 2021 à 17 h 50
Démarrer sujet

Pretty sure he means that if they do sign Thome, he’d be in the AHL and since next year Tarasov should be the NHL backup, he’d have a shot at starter
29 nov. 2021 à 17 h 54
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753

Pretty sure he means that if they do sign Thome, he’d be in the AHL and since next year Tarasov should be the NHL backup, he’d have a shot at starter

I should have specified “starting goalie in Cleveland next year. That’s on me.
capsfan2121 et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 17 h 55

Is Tarasov ready for NHL backup? He’s only played 15 games in North America. It seems like he could probably use at least another half-year next season as the AHL starter rather than rushing a legitimately talented prospect and not getting him the playing time he needs to get used to the ice and develop in general.
30 nov. 2021 à 0 h 0
I make typos
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991
Modifié 30 nov. 2021 à 11 h 34
Matvei Petrov has 33 points in 22 games for North Bay in his first NA season, so glad we got him in the sixth round
30 nov. 2021 à 1 h 10
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
Jack Quinn of the sabres is #1 in points and goals in the AHL, 8th in assists. Peterka is #8 in points #3 in assists. These guys are going to be so much fun to watch in the NHL. Krebs is at a PPG with 12 in 12 games. All 3 are rookies.
30 nov. 2021 à 1 h 48
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Jack Quinn of the sabres is #1 in points and goals in the AHL, 8th in assists. Peterka is #8 in points #3 in assists. These guys are going to be so much fun to watch in the NHL. Krebs is at a PPG with 12 in 12 games. All 3 are rookies.

Are they on the same line?
30 nov. 2021 à 7 h 5
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: oilersguy
Matvei Petrov has 33 points in 22 games for North Bay in his first NA season, so glad we got him in the second round

Sixth-round but yes, Petrov has been great and i for one had him ranked pretty high, i really liked him, i saw him as a project but his upside was undeniable
oilersguy a aimé ceci.
30 nov. 2021 à 8 h 21
Are they on the same line?

Quinn and Peterka are, Krebs is on a line with Mersch.
30 nov. 2021 à 16 h 46
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,817
Killer Coe
2020 Draft Selection Brandon Coe was named the OHL Player of the Week on November 22 following his sixth consecutive multi-point game. Coe, who currently leads the OHL in points (39), has recorded 17 points (five goals and 12 assists) in his last seven games.
per NHL/ SJS

Shut Them Out
2021 Third Round Draft selection Benjamin Gaudreau earned his first shutout of the season with a 26 save performance on November 21. This past week's Sharks Prospect of the Week was also named OHL Goaltender of the Week for his performance. He is currently second in the league in SV% (0.916%) among goaltenders who have played at least ten games.
per NHL/ SJS

KEY NOTES
- Eklund has 3pts - 4gp since his return to Sweden.

- Denver goaltender Magnus Chrona (SJS acquired Chrona from Tampa) is currently 4-0-0 in his past four games, allowing only seven goals over that stretch.

- Danil Gushchin has recorded at least one point in six consecutive games (five goals, two assists) and leads the Niagara IceDogs in points (21) and goals (14).

- Ozzy Wiesblatt is currently riding a two-game point streak (one goal, two assists), and leads the Prince Albert Raiders in points (15).

- Ryan Merkley leads the team in assists (8) and leads the back end in points

- Thomas Bordeleau has been named to the preliminary USA World Juniors roster - expected to be a key piece to the States center depth.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
30 nov. 2021 à 17 h 31
Quoting: yikes
Killer Coe
2020 Draft Selection Brandon Coe was named the OHL Player of the Week on November 22 following his sixth consecutive multi-point game. Coe, who currently leads the OHL in points (39), has recorded 17 points (five goals and 12 assists) in his last seven games.
per NHL/ SJS

Shut Them Out
2021 Third Round Draft selection Benjamin Gaudreau earned his first shutout of the season with a 26 save performance on November 21. This past week's Sharks Prospect of the Week was also named OHL Goaltender of the Week for his performance. He is currently second in the league in SV% (0.916%) among goaltenders who have played at least ten games.
per NHL/ SJS

KEY NOTES
- Eklund has 3pts - 4gp since his return to Sweden.

- Denver goaltender Magnus Chrona (SJS acquired Chrona from Tampa) is currently 4-0-0 in his past four games, allowing only seven goals over that stretch.

- Danil Gushchin has recorded at least one point in six consecutive games (five goals, two assists) and leads the Niagara IceDogs in points (21) and goals (14).

- Ozzy Wiesblatt is currently riding a two-game point streak (one goal, two assists), and leads the Prince Albert Raiders in points (15).

- Ryan Merkley leads the team in assists (8) and leads the back end in points

- Thomas Bordeleau has been named to the preliminary USA World Juniors roster - expected to be a key piece to the States center depth.

Brandt Clarke didn't get a world juniors invite...thats a shock.
A_Habs_fan, PuckLuck_77 et zk97 a aimé ceci.
30 nov. 2021 à 17 h 37
Démarrer sujet

Yep, unless he's injured, he should be invited
PuckLuck_77, zk97 et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
30 nov. 2021 à 17 h 51
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,221

Kings fan here. Shocked and upset. Dude is absolutely killing it this year and I was really looking forward to watching him this Christmas. Leads the OHL in points by a defenseman, and is doing it with 2 less games than the next closest guy. Not to mention captaining his team. Not sure what Canada is thinking, he should be in the discussion for their top pair, much less making the darn team.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
30 nov. 2021 à 18 h 22
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,878
Team USA invites

Knies made it applaud

Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 nov. 2021 à 18 h 31
Quoting: aadoyle
Team USA invites

Knies made it applaud

Kinda surprised McGroarty didn’t make it, when he’s been healthy this year he’s been killing it and wears the C for the U18 USNTDP team. I guess they decided Cooley was the only draft eligible guy they wanted.
30 nov. 2021 à 18 h 49
EklundCelebriniSmith

Quoting: PuckLuck_77
Kings fan here. Shocked and upset. Dude is absolutely killing it this year and I was really looking forward to watching him this Christmas. Leads the OHL in points by a defenseman, and is doing it with 2 less games than the next closest guy. Not to mention captaining his team. Not sure what Canada is thinking, he should be in the discussion for their top pair, much less making the darn team.

yall are trolling right lmfao
30 nov. 2021 à 18 h 50
EklundCelebriniSmith
This is actually huge news. how the **** did team canada not pick Clarke... like that is outrageous
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
30 nov. 2021 à 20 h 38
Quoting: yikes
This is actually huge news. how the **** did team canada not pick Clarke... like that is outrageous

I’ve gotta assume it’s some stupid reason like he isn’t vaccinated or something. Like, it’s not like the Power situation last year where Michigan didn’t want to lose him for 2 months, I’m pretty sure the Junior season pauses for the WJC and the quarantine is likely to be less strict. If he’s fully vaccinated, then maybe the Kings didn’t agree to let him play? I can’t think of a legitimate reason outside of that. On merit he should be top pair with Power.
yikes et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
30 nov. 2021 à 20 h 48
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,805
I’ve gotta assume it’s some stupid reason like he isn’t vaccinated or something. Like, it’s not like the Power situation last year where Michigan didn’t want to lose him for 2 months, I’m pretty sure the Junior season pauses for the WJC and the quarantine is likely to be less strict. If he’s fully vaccinated, then maybe the Kings didn’t agree to let him play? I can’t think of a legitimate reason outside of that. On merit he should be top pair with Power.

I still don’t believe he isn’t on the list…

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage