SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread

13 nov. 2021 à 23 h 23
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: Db1899
The Oilers are better off trading for a starting G - goaltending is super random , it will be 4-5 years before Wallstedt is ready to make an impact anyways.

They also have Konovalov who looks like he has starting G potential.

I think Wallstedt is in the tier of goalie where it will likely only be 2-3 years before he makes the NHL, and honestly that’s pretty much the same tier Bourgault is in as well, so like there’s not much difference in timeline either, and starting goalies are expensive to trade for or sign (and Edmonton keeps missing out on them, this isn’t a new problem). And I disagree on Konovalov, I don’t necessarily think he’s that special (he was 16th in SV% in the KHL with the second fewest GP of that group last year, that doesn’t exactly scream NHL starter for a D+4
year after also only being drafted as a double overager).
aadoyle et yikes a aimé ceci.
13 nov. 2021 à 23 h 38
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,094
Quoting: Alfie11
I think Wallstedt is in the tier of goalie where it will likely only be 2-3 years before he makes the NHL, and honestly that’s pretty much the same tier Bourgault is in as well, so like there’s not much difference in timeline either, and starting goalies are expensive to trade for or sign (and Edmonton keeps missing out on them, this isn’t a new problem). And I disagree on Konovalov, I don’t necessarily think he’s that special (he was 16th in SV% in the KHL with the second fewest GP of that group last year, that doesn’t exactly scream NHL starter for a D+4

I don’t think he’s 2-3 years away and even if he did make it 3 years, hes not starting right away and he’ll likely struggle just like most young goaltenders. By the time he has the impact of a star goaltender it could be 6-8 years from now. If Bourgault continues to produce at this pace I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes the team out of camp next season.
14 nov. 2021 à 0 h 7
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,926
Modifié 14 nov. 2021 à 0 h 25
You would be surprised what 2 PPG pace in the Q does for a players star + NHL probability % - check the updated charts, they are definitely not rough lol. His NHLE is currently 83.

Its the QMJHL of course a guy like thats gonna do well as that league is known for high scoring. The concerns are with his skating and defensive game which in the Q is fine but put him in the AHL and he could find himself in trouble like other similar prospects before as they come after destroying the Q then fall off. But even if all works out he really has no spot on the team as for the next 4-5 years the Oilers rn are set in the top 9.

In general Edmonton needed a goalie prospect more than another bottom 6 player as rn and for the next 5 years they pretty much are set with guys like Holloway, Mcleod, and Savoie who are nhl ready in a year or two and rn have 2 recent graduates Yamamoto and JP who have fit in well in the top 6.

While for goaltending its basically Skinner whose their best hope rn which aint good for the future. Wallstedt would have been perfect as in 2-3 years Edmonton would have someone a young upcoming goalie who could be the next big thing so to speak.
14 nov. 2021 à 0 h 9
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 14 nov. 2021 à 0 h 28
Quoting: Alfie11

In general rn hes playing against men as an SHL starter and doing pretty well being 8-4 with 2 shutouts. Thats pretty good for his development along with the fact he broke some SHL records for a young goaltender thats a solid resume. If all works out well Minnesota could have a solid young tandem by the time Talbot is up.

For an organization with only 3 goalie prospects and none are looking good rn but Skinner (but he could just be an AHL goalie like Sparks) how do you pass on him. It still is bizarre beyond belief.

Oh and Konolov has been a classic case of KHL not adapting to NA hockey so far

2.89 SV and 0.876SV
14 nov. 2021 à 0 h 49
Ex Nucks fan
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 17,624
Canucks should just blow up the core and send Demko to a contender. Pain for Shane initiated
yikes a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 0 h 58
Quoting: aadoyle
Its the QMJHL of course a guy like thats gonna do well as that league is known for high scoring. The concerns are with his skating and defensive game which in the Q is fine but put him in the AHL and he could find himself in trouble like other similar prospects before as they come after destroying the Q then fall off. But even if all works out he really has no spot on the team as for the next 4-5 years the Oilers rn are set in the top 9.

In general Edmonton needed a goalie prospect more than another bottom 6 player as rn and for the next 5 years they pretty much are set with guys like Holloway, Mcleod, and Savoie who are nhl ready in a year or two and rn have 2 recent graduates Yamamoto and JP who have fit in well in the top 6.

While for goaltending its basically Skinner whose their best hope rn which aint good for the future. Wallstedt would have been perfect as in 2-3 years Edmonton would have someone a young upcoming goalie who could be the next big thing so to speak.

He’s not just doing well , he’s putting up ridiculous numbers. That matters. You just shared a chart based on his production in the Q, now you don’t want to credit him when his production made his star + NHLer probability skyrocket.

Bourgaults skating is fine, he gets where he needs to be and his defensive game isn’t because of lack of effort, he’s just too aggressive sometimes. Coaching will fix that He’s a high IQ player with incredible work ethic, great shot and an excellent passer. He has a translatable skillset. He’s 1-2 years away from being NHL ready.

I wouldn’t say they are set , Yamamoto is overrated and looking for a raise after this season. I think he’s going to be traded.

Wallstedt will not be ready in 2-3 years and there’s an adjustment period. It will be over 5 years before Wallstedt is a starting caliber G.
14 nov. 2021 à 1 h 1
In general rn hes playing against men as an SHL starter and doing pretty well being 8-4 with 2 shutouts. Thats pretty good for his development along with the fact he broke some SHL records for a young goaltender thats a solid resume. If all works out well Minnesota could have a solid young tandem by the time Talbot is up.

For an organization with only 3 goalie prospects and none are looking good rn but Skinner (but he could just be an AHL goalie like Sparks) how do you pass on him. It still is bizarre beyond belief.

Oh and Konolov has been a classic case of KHL not adapting to NA hockey so far

2.89 SV and 0.876SV

Nice confirmation bias. Konovalov has played 5 games. He struggled in his first 2 games, 2 of the last year games he posted a .923 + .960 sv%

Since you’re a fan of charts, here’s konovalovs

yikes a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 1 h 6
Quoting: Juiceman
Canucks should just blow up the core and send Demko to a contender. Pain for Shane initiated

Did Hoglander get hurt or something? I saw he only had 10 min of ice time
14 nov. 2021 à 1 h 11
Hakuna Matata

I think its time

Time for ownership to get off their ass and fire Jim Benning

Travis Green could also be thrown into the conversation as man I have not seen a team with this much talent look this bad since Mike Babcock was coaching the leafs in 2019-2020 (till he got fired). Its almost like looking in a mirror, bad PK, not scoring on the PP, goalie left to die. Solution was simple fire Babcock into the sun.

Now for Green I think hes still a good coach. I think we need to first look at Benning as this man has had 2 off seasons that would get any other gm fired.
Juiceman a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 1 h 28
Ex Nucks fan
Did Hoglander get hurt or something? I saw he only had 10 min of ice time

No, Travis Green is just a home head. For a gm that is so good at drafting, Jim Benning is sure good at ruining those careers as well
14 nov. 2021 à 1 h 30
Ex Nucks fan
I think its time

Time for ownership to get off their ass and fire Jim Benning

Travis Green could also be thrown into the conversation as man I have not seen a team with this much talent look this bad since Mike Babcock was coaching the leafs in 2019-2020 (till he got fired). Its almost like looking in a mirror, bad PK, not scoring on the PP, goalie left to die. Solution was simple fire Babcock into the sun.

Now for Green I think hes still a good coach. I think we need to first look at Benning as this man has had 2 off seasons that would get any other gm fired.

Green isn’t a terrible coach but he’s just not the right one for Vancouver. He’s be better off coaching our farm team but he has clearly lost the room. Players look disinterested and it’s most likely because Green isn’t the right fit
14 nov. 2021 à 2 h 0
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
No, Travis Green is just a home head. For a gm that is so good at drafting, Jim Benning is sure good at ruining those careers as well

Is this just a reputation thing at this point? Because looking back at it, I'm not so sure he's even good at drafting. He was hired just prior to the 2014 draft, so assuming he didn't have a huge role in that one, the only selections outside the first round from 2015-19 (5 drafts, excludes the most recent two because it's not really fair to expect non-1sts to immediately crack the team) that have 20+ games played are Adam Gaudette (development ruined, traded for Highmore who's just a bottom six guy) and Nils Hoglander (legitimately talented, being stifled which is likely hurting his development). Even if you want to give him the 2014 draft, it wasn't that great (McCann and Forsling dealt for next to nothing, Tryamkin played one year before going back to Russia, Virtanen has his whole issues, all you've got is Demko and goalies are a dice roll at best). The best that can be said about him is he generally nails his 1st round picks, which are the easiest to get right (Juolevi the only legitimate bust, but like, 4 of the 5 picks from 2015-19 were in the top 10, you have to try really hard to mess that up). I will say I liked a lot of the picks at the time, so maybe it's the development that sucks, but that's part of his responsibility so the blame still comes back to him. But yeah, I think him being a good drafter is overblown, he only hits top 10 picks (most of the time) + Boeser and either trades the rest of the prospects to better development systems where they break out, or just doesn't get a useful player out of his pick.
Juiceman a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 2 h 4

3 points in 10 min , that is impressive
14 nov. 2021 à 2 h 18
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,805
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I've scouted a couple more players so here's my current board:
1. Wright
2. Savoie
3. Nemec
4. Miroshnichenko
5. Slafkovsky
6. Lambert ( will definitely fall once i scout more players )

How do you do your scouting? Highlights, tuning into games, scouting reports, stats, etc. If games, where do you get access to the European and college games? Wondering because I’d like to do some scouting personally on this draft class and looking for ideas
14 nov. 2021 à 7 h 56
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,360
Quoting: TheFlamingC
How do you do your scouting? Highlights, tuning into games, scouting reports, stats, etc. If games, where do you get access to the European and college games? Wondering because I’d like to do some scouting personally on this draft class and looking for ideas

I just read other people’s reports and rankings, i don’t really like to watch tape, though if you read scouting reports make sure to find as many as possible as they are opinion pieces.
14 nov. 2021 à 9 h 7
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Quoting: TheFlamingC

Man, I really wish that the Draft Dynasty channel is still active, because that was phenomenal for being able to s “scout” draft prospects. The guy who ran it made great videos with highlights and analysis covering every part of a player’s game, like their skating and defensive play, which those kinds of highlights are extremely hard to find on your own. And beyond his great analysis the video of all parts of a player’s game allowed you to form your own opinion. Unfortunately for us (but very fortunately for him) his scouting was so good that he got hired by the habs as a scout a year ago.
yikes, TheFlamingC et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 10 h 28
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,246
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Man, I really wish that the Draft Dynasty channel is still active, because that was phenomenal for being able to s “scout” draft prospects. The guy who ran it made great videos with highlights and analysis covering every part of a player’s game, like their skating and defensive play, which those kinds of highlights are extremely hard to find on your own. And beyond his great analysis the video of all parts of a player’s game allowed you to form your own opinion. Unfortunately for us (but very fortunately for him) his scouting was so good that he got hired by the habs as a scout a year ago.

Really, he got hired as a scout? I mean, I liked his content too, mainly for the extra clips like you touched on, but his evaluations never seemed like anything special and his rankings straight up questionable. Good for him though, and I like that a team was willing to make an unorthodox hire.
yikes a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 12 h 32

14 nov. 2021 à 12 h 41
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,817

I get we as outsiders didn’t like Raty inside the top 15-20 maybe but going 52 was a huge steal for the Islanders
zk97 et MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 12 h 51
Quoting: yikes
I get we as outsiders didn’t like Raty inside the top 15-20 maybe but going 52 was a huge steal for the Islanders

In Raty’s DY he was forced play a 4th line role with not much PP time. He was a still a major shot generator and a good play driver at both ends of the ice. He just needed an increased role which is he’s getting with Jukerit, 4 pts in his last 2 games. His two goals were GWG. I think he’ll be a solid 2C in 2-3 years.
yikes a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 12 h 53
Démarrer sujet

I had Raty as a late 1st so yeah, he was a steal, can't believe guys like Pastujov, Svozil, Robertsson, Chibrikov, Wallstedt, Lysell fell too
yikes et zk97 a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 14 h 17
Hakuna Matata

Michkov just pulling off a Lacrosse goal for the Kajala Cup Tournament lul

Man he and Bedard are gonna be fun to watch
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 15 h 38
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

Talk about a guy falling. Great value for the Oliers to get him in the 6th round
A_Habs_fan, zk97 et oilersguy a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 15 h 40
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Talk about a guy falling. Great value for the Oliers to get him in the 6th round

Yep, i had Petrov as a 2nd/3rd and he’s been proving me right
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
14 nov. 2021 à 16 h 31
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,817
Anyone got a early top 32 yet for 2022

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage