SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread

13 janv. 2022 à 15 h 6
Rutta 4ever
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 3,914
Quoting: Alfie11
My rough predictions for Wheeler's team prospect rankings. He does this based on U23 and non-NHL only. I'll also post some of their top prospects in brackets, completely at my own discretion and in no particular order, but it should hopefully be pretty much everyone even somewhat relevant lol

30. Tampa Bay Lightning (Alnefelt, Duke, Finley, Goncalves, Schmidt, Thompson, Cajkovic, posted today, had them here when I was drafting this)

Scott pulled a fast one on us a put Foote in there even though he is outside of the U23 age requirement.

I am not surprised Thompson jumped to the top of the rankings or that he has soured on Cajkovic, but I am really curious to see what Walker looks like with Tampa/Syracuse whenever his NCAA season ends because I am not getting why he's always so high up in the rankings even though he hasn't really made any great strides since Freshman-Sophomore year.
13 janv. 2022 à 15 h 8
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,338
Quoting: aadoyle
I think were gonna see a tonne of steals come out of the 2021 draft

As man if guys like Voit were being taken in the 5th round

Teams are getting 2nd round prospects mainly due to them not being able to play cause of Covid

2021 will be known as the year that Covid hit and messed up the draft yes
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
13 janv. 2022 à 15 h 45
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,817
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

I personally believe a lot of people (and teams) really overlooked some guys in 2021 - like for example Duke to Tampa was a SICK pick for Tampa.

A lot of people (outside the NHL) really thought the 2021 draft “stunk” which while personally I didn’t think it was a very “mesmerizing” class - I thought it was a lot stronger than people believed. And I think a lot of NHL teams somehow fell victim to that same notion and went with “their guy”.

Like Boucher at 10, unacceptable. Nolan Allan wasn’t a good pick inside 32. Chayka fell to the 2nd and wasn’t even picked until a handful of picks in… Arizona picked Doan over Pinelli????? Chicago drafted Dach in the 2nd lmfao? Raty fell to a late 2nd and of course the Islanders said this is a no brainer. Gaudreau Svozil and Korzack fell to the 3rds and we’re eaten up happily ASAP. Duke as mentioned in the 4th was a solid. So was Cardwell.

I think a lot of teams somehow just went with the mentality of “let’s go with OUR guys” instead of some the more no brainer picks - because they thought “ah this draft isn’t amazing anyways.”.
A_Habs_fan et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
13 janv. 2022 à 15 h 49
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: yikes
I personally believe a lot of people (and teams) really overlooked some guys in 2021 - like for example Duke to Tampa was a SICK pick for Tampa.

A lot of people (outside the NHL) really thought the 2021 draft “stunk” which while personally I didn’t think it was a very “mesmerizing” class - I thought it was a lot stronger than people believed. And I think a lot of NHL teams somehow fell victim to that same notion and went with “their guy”.

Like Boucher at 10, unacceptable. Nolan Allan wasn’t a good pick inside 32. Chayka fell to the 2nd and wasn’t even picked until a handful of picks in… Arizona picked Doan over Pinelli????? Chicago drafted Dach in the 2nd lmfao? Raty fell to a late 2nd and of course the Islanders said this is a no brainer. Gaudreau Svozil and Korzack fell to the 3rds and we’re eaten up happily ASAP. Duke as mentioned in the 4th was a solid. So was Cardwell.

I think a lot of teams somehow just went with the mentality of “let’s go with OUR guys” instead of some the more no brainer picks - because they thought “ah this draft isn’t amazing anyways.”.

Yep, Duke fell, Boucher, Allan were reaches, Chayka pick was around where I thought he'd go, Dach wasn't a huge reach ( i had him as a 3rd, went late 2nd ), Pinelli, Raty, Gaudreau, Svozil, Pastujov, etc fell, this draft will be analyzed forever much more than others because of the special circumstances ( will happen for 2022 too, overagers might get drafted a lot this year due to less exposure last year )
13 janv. 2022 à 16 h 52
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,883

Apparently the chances of drafting a steal went from 20% to 50% for that draft alone

And were probs not gonna see that ever happen again

So every team by those odds got a steal in one of their picks so thats good
zk97 a aimé ceci.
13 janv. 2022 à 16 h 59
Hakuna Matata

applaud
zk97, EsoYeezus69 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 janv. 2022 à 17 h 9
Rejoint: avr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,940
Yep, Duke fell, Boucher, Allan were reaches, Chayka pick was around where I thought he'd go, Dach wasn't a huge reach ( i had him as a 3rd, went late 2nd ), Pinelli, Raty, Gaudreau, Svozil, Pastujov, etc fell, this draft will be analyzed forever much more than others because of the special circumstances ( will happen for 2022 too, overagers might get drafted a lot this year due to less exposure last year )

Other guys that look a bit like steals that come to mind: Roy, Petrov, Gallagher, Moser, Knies, Voit, Martino
A_Habs_fan et oilersguy a aimé ceci.
13 janv. 2022 à 17 h 12
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: CoopsTroops
Scott pulled a fast one on us a put Foote in there even though he is outside of the U23 age requirement.

I am not surprised Thompson jumped to the top of the rankings or that he has soured on Cajkovic, but I am really curious to see what Walker looks like with Tampa/Syracuse whenever his NCAA season ends because I am not getting why he's always so high up in the rankings even though he hasn't really made any great strides since Freshman-Sophomore year.

Quoting: CoopsTroops

Yeah I guess he must have started in early December or something lol, Foote only just turned 23. Thompson has been really good, and Cajkovic has just never found success, which is unfortunate. I think it's really easy to discern a pattern with Tampa's drafting and development, especially outside the 1st round. They either take really high upside skill players (like Point, Kucherov, Gusev, Palat, Cajkovic, Darcy, Joseph, etc.) that they think might turn into higher end contributors (usually like 2 per draft), or safer picks that they think they can mold into good pros (most picks) to complement their depth. It might not always be the BPA, and I do think this speaks more to their development team than their drafting (because that's the ideal draft strategy for most teams, they've just perfected it lol). And their development team is excellent at molding young players, which is obvious from the results. I think guys like Walker, Finley, Duke, and Goncalves are gonna be the next wave of guys like Volkov, Verhaeghe, ABB, Katchouk, T. Raddysh, etc. that has continued to fill out Tampa's bottom six and keep them competitive. Guys like Cajkovic or Groshev are guys who are likely to either be the next Palat (top 6 forwards) or not make it at all, but while Tampa certainly has misses, like every team, they tend to hit more often due to good scouting and better development. I'm sure Walker will be seen as a 4th line regular in a couple years haha
14 janv. 2022 à 11 h 21
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

No production to speak of in his first year at the senior level but put up strong numbers with Rogle junior team.
14 janv. 2022 à 16 h 2
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan

No production to speak of in his first year at the senior level but put up strong numbers with Rogle junior team.

With our 7th round pick sure

Wouldn't mind us drafting Matthew Poitras round 1 or 2 and Granath round 7
14 janv. 2022 à 16 h 23
I make typos
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991

don't forget the Oilers getting Petrov in the six round, he and Coe have been tearing up the OHL
14 janv. 2022 à 16 h 24
I make typos

BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
14 janv. 2022 à 17 h 0
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
Quoting: oilersguy

The Hobey Baker is already getting announced?
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
14 janv. 2022 à 17 h 4
I make typos
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
The Hobey Baker is already getting announced?

apparently, I think it is just the long list with like 70 names
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
14 janv. 2022 à 17 h 22
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
apparently, I think it is just the long list with like 70 names

Sabres Power and Levi both included.
14 janv. 2022 à 18 h 12
Ovchinnikov 137
don't forget the Oilers getting Petrov in the six round, he and Coe have been tearing up the OHL

I always thought Krill would be a good prospect, Junior numbers are tough to predict how that will translate to the NHL.

oilersguy a aimé ceci.
14 janv. 2022 à 18 h 13
Démarrer sujet

Petrov was a steal at 180, I drafted him at 77 in our GM game 2021 draft, i thought he was promising but more of a project
oilersguy, capsfan2121 et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
14 janv. 2022 à 18 h 25
I make typos
I always thought Krill would be a good prospect, Junior numbers are tough to predict how that will translate to the NHL.

I wouldn't be surprised if after like 5 really good years in the KHL or somewhere else in Europe Maksimov become a sought after free agent kinda like Gusev
14 janv. 2022 à 18 h 50
Hakuna Matata

Goalies in general are the hardest to predict

Look at Campbell went from being called a 1st round bust in Dallas to Vezina Candidate All-Star Starter in Toronto only took him what 12 years...

Like honestly watch Koskinen next season go to another team succeed and make Oilers fans who were hating on him feel guilty
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
14 janv. 2022 à 23 h 23
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
Goalies in general are the hardest to predict

Look at Campbell went from being called a 1st round bust in Dallas to Vezina Candidate All-Star Starter in Toronto only took him what 12 years...

Like honestly watch Koskinen next season go to another team succeed and make Oilers fans who were hating on him feel guilty

I was actually comparing RW Kirill Maksimov who in is (18 year season) with Niagara IceDogs put up 34G 46A and never panned out.

I would just temper my expectations with Petrov, putting up wicked numbers right now is all. So hard to tell how it can translate to the NHL
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
15 janv. 2022 à 14 h 43
Ovchinnikov 137

DET has so many nice pieces. Still wish they took Wallstedt, hopefully Cossa is the real deal.
15 janv. 2022 à 15 h 33
Démarrer sujet

DET has so many nice pieces. Still wish they took Wallstedt, hopefully Cossa is the real deal.

#9 on the Moose may as well retire, that was nasty, not sure why Det took Cossa over Wallstedt but Yzerman will somehow continue to never make a bad move and Cossa will become the next Vasy
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
15 janv. 2022 à 16 h 38
EklundCelebriniSmith
#9 on the Moose may as well retire, that was nasty, not sure why Det took Cossa over Wallstedt but Yzerman will somehow continue to never make a bad move and Cossa will become the next Vasy

I think he took Cossa cause he’s 6’6 and seems like a safe pick.

But still Wallstedt may be only 6’3 (not a HUGE gap) and more of a boom or bust type pick. He’s much more worth the “risk” imo. I still relate to these “safe” selections.

Yeah Power will be a stud in the NHL. But I don’t think he’ll be the best D men out of the draft, that will go to Clarke I believe. Clarke > Power is obviously much more of a reach because Power just looks so good, but Cossa > Wallstedt was more of a… say ill advised selection?

But also, Clarke and Power will clearly play different games/ styles. So it comes down to what you want and what’s the risk.

Cossa seems like will be a good NHL goalie and he’s big, and very sound overall because he plays the position so well.

Whereas Wallstedt is a strong and steady goalie who can suddenly play wild and aggressive when needed, with amazing quickness who COULD become an amazing goalie. Just needs to pan out.

I found the selection very odd. Not bad.. which is why I’m not tryna argue too much one way or the other, but for me I go Wallstedt 10 times out of 10.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
15 janv. 2022 à 16 h 50
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,224
I think he took Cossa cause he’s 6’6 and seems like a safe pick.

But still Wallstedt may be only 6’3 (not a HUGE gap) and more of a boom or bust type pick. He’s much more worth the “risk” imo. I still relate to these “safe” selections.

Yeah Power will be a stud in the NHL. But I don’t think he’ll be the best D men out of the draft, that will go to Clarke I believe. Clarke > Power is obviously much more of a reach because Power just looks so good, but Cossa > Wallstedt was more of a… say ill advised selection?

But also, Clarke and Power will clearly play different games/ styles. So it comes down to what you want and what’s the risk.

Cossa seems like will be a good NHL goalie and he’s big, and very sound overall because he plays the position so well.

Whereas Wallstedt is a strong and steady goalie who can suddenly play wild and aggressive when needed, with amazing quickness who COULD become an amazing goalie. Just needs to pan out.

I found the selection very odd. Not bad.. which is why I’m not tryna argue too much one way or the other, but for me I go Wallstedt 10 times out of 10.

Curious why you feel that Wallstedt is more of a 'boom or bust' type pick. I don't get that vibe at all.
15 janv. 2022 à 17 h 0
EklundCelebriniSmith
Modifié 15 janv. 2022 à 17 h 7
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Curious why you feel that Wallstedt is more of a 'boom or bust' type pick. I don't get that vibe at all.

I just used the term in sort of, comparing Wallstedt and Cossa.

Cossa being a reliable pick whereas Wallstedt being the more, risky? Idk, I dont know why so many teams passed on him. I honestly would have been sitting awake sleepless for weeks if I was Doug Wilson Jr and told to pick at 7 between Eklund (the huge fall) and Wallstedt. Wallstedt was worth drafting at 1 for me.

Wallstedt, imo was the only Franchise level player in his draft. Everytime I watched him my gut just said; please draft this kid.

Im ecstatic that the Sharks got Eklund and I have no "regrets" in being overjoyed seeing his name on a teal jersey.

But Wallstedt is horrifyingly good and I think Minnesota won the 2020 Draft (paired with that Lambos pick, who is also a great selection). Wallstedt has been playing great in the SHL, he dummied the World Juniors twice in short showings, I mean this kid just looks sick. He can go from that calm and cool "Carey Price" type presence and that move like "Hasek" within seconds. Obviously some exaggeration in those comparisons but Wallstedt plays such a enjoyable style; hes stoic and wild with the flick of a switch which is what you want in your starter.

I just see "boom".
LeafsFanForSomeReason, A_Habs_fan, zk97 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage