Forums/Armchair-GM

What Has Gone Wrong For Alexis Lafreniere

Créé par: Agent_Of_R9
Équipe: 2021-22 Rangers de New York
Date de création initiale: 10 nov. 2021
Publié: 10 nov. 2021
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Though I'm not a Rangers fan, I have followed Alexis Lafreniere since his days in junior and always felt he had the potential to be an elite player. I'm not talking about franchise caliber, but a good first line left wing who can carry his line like Taylor Hall or Matthew Tkachuk. After he got drafted, I have been more interested in the Rangers and I try to tune into their games whenever I can. However, I have to admit, I haven't seen much that suggests he'll be an NHL caliber player.

Last season, it was understandable to cut him some slack as he didn't play in a year and had to play under David Quinn who wasn't a very tactical coach in terms of attacking systems, he mostly relied on established individual players to facilitate plays through anticipation. However, he is gone and the Rangers brought in Gallant, a coach with pedigree and ability to develop situations suitable for elite talents. Yet it still hasn't gone well, Lafreniere has 4 points through 13 games and the Rangers have just been a very bad 5v5 overall.

My biggest takeaway from watching Lafreniere this season is that he is scared to hold onto the puck and carry it in hopes of facilitating a play with his skillset. Every time he receives it, he defers it right away to a teammate or chips it into the corner for them to chase. Although he has never been a flashy or elusive player even in junior, he has always been known for his ability to carry out plays in tight spaces at the right time and that's just not something we're seeing enough in the NHL. Based on the way that he's playing and the linemates Gallant is putting him with, it seems like they are trying to develop him into a grinder or enforcer rather than a power forward with playmaking abilities. Like he's doing the work physically but they don't seem to believe in his attacking talents and are trying to transform him into someone he's not familiar with.

Although I am not a fan of using advanced analytics to measure a player but I have to admit that there is still hope for Lafreniere despite the poor situation that he's in. He's second amongst Rangers forwards in on ice xGoal share. His individual shooting and chance creation numbers are in the same range as a number of highly rated playmaking wingers:

Lafreniere - 0.726 iXG/60 + 0.8 xA/60
Panarin - 0.715 iXG/60 + 0.853 xA/60
Marner - 0.8 iXG/60 + 0.88 xA/60
Kaprisov - 0.68 iXG/60 + 0.68 xA/60
Marchand - 0.88 iXG/60 + 0.84 xA/60
Gaudreau - 0.75 iXG/60 + 0.92 xA/60
Teravainen - 0.89 iXG + 0.93 xA/60

At this point, it's not even about the linemates that he's playing with or the amount of ice time that he's getting. It really comes down to the style they want him to play, and if they want him to fulfill his potential, they have to allow him to express himself more freely with the puck. Let him try to carry the puck more and give him the opportunity to control the play for his teammates using his instinct. There will be successes and failures, but that's how a player grows, you have to allow him make mistakes. I'd try to give him an extended with Chytil or try to acquire another offensive center like Strome of CHI. If the Rangers don't have belief in Lafreniere's abilities, then it's time to explore trading him for a prospect whom they have a better chance at developing.
Transactions
CHI
  1. Chytil, Filip
  2. Kravtsov, Vitali
  3. Choix de 3e ronde en 2023 (NYR)
Rachats de contrats
Enfoui
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de STL
Logo de NYR
Logo de WPG
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
Logo de NYR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2281 500 000 $72 428 969 $0 $7 550 000 $9 071 031 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Rangers de New York
6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
AG
NMC
UFA - 6
5 350 000 $5 350 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 1
11 642 857 $11 642 857 $
AG
NMC
UFA - 5
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 1
3 641 667 $3 641 667 $
C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 6
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 850 000 $$3M)
AG, AD
RFA - 2
Logo de Blackhawks de Chicago
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
C
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 650 000 $$3M)
AD
RFA - 1
762 500 $762 500 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
C
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 750 000 $1 750 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
DG
RFA - 3
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
DD
UFA - 1
5 666 667 $5 666 667 $
G
UFA - 4
Logo de Blackhawks de Chicago
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
8 000 000 $8 000 000 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 5
2 425 000 $2 425 000 $
G
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance350 000 $$350K)
DG
RFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
DD
RFA - 3
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
775 000 $775 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
737 500 $737 500 $
DG
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
10 nov. 2021 à 19 h 8
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,154
Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary
I’m not too concerned about Kakko. He’s like most of the top NYR players, they’re just playing really badly at 5v5 to start the season. It’s a coaching issue. He has looked good in the past.

I would worry far less about Laf than about Kakko.
Kakko seems to struggle with speed of game.
When we play against Rangers, Laf appears to be more a threat...and attracts more defensive attention.
10 nov. 2021 à 19 h 29
Shibbal18
Rejoint: janv. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 8,989
Kakko was always over rated, Laf is in a sophomore slump
10 nov. 2021 à 19 h 29
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,641
Players need to walk before they can run. I'm not sure how he's bein used incorrectly when those underlying numbers are on par with top end players. Coaches need to put players in a position to succeed and the number say that is exactly what's happening.

He went from being the best player on the ice every night for probably most of his life to playing against men who have played in the NHL for years. Dump and chase, then fight for the puck along the wall, is a skill that he needs to learn to go far in the NHL. He can't just be better than everyone else and good things happen.

Develop the basic NHL game skills then add to that once he's mastered those. Then the game starts to slow down and the skill game will start to come out naturally. He already looks like he's in over his head at the NHL level on the lower lines. Putting him on the top line against the top shutdown lines and d-pairs every shift is just setting him up for failure.

Top draft picks in every league get wakeup calls once they hit the pros and have to actually work hard and actually have to learn the intricacies of the game. Look at the coaching ranks in any sport. Successful coaches aren't the top players, they are the fringe/role players that had to work on every aspect of the game to try and make it in the pros.
10 nov. 2021 à 19 h 33
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,641
Quoting: capsfan2121
How are they in second place

They have played more games than everyone else. Last night when I looked it was NYR with 13 games played and the rest of the Division all had 10 games (WSH had 12) played.

3 games doesn't seem like much, but at this early point in the year that's 30% more games. NYR's P% was 4th or 5th (IIRC) though.
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
10 nov. 2021 à 19 h 34
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 632
It's the same as the Habs Tbh, they changed from a forcheckjng team to crappy dump and chance game.
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
10 nov. 2021 à 19 h 39
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 14,147
Too many untouchables on one team
10 nov. 2021 à 20 h 22
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 703
Quoting: xercuses
Igor

Adam Fox too
10 nov. 2021 à 20 h 40
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 996
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
They're using Laf as a 3rd line checker rn

I think they are right for making Lafreniere improve his checking skills cuz he does have the talent in that regard but they shouldn't neglect the offensive skills either.
10 nov. 2021 à 20 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: ricochetii
The Montreal Canadiens technique of drafting players for their skills and then trying to develop them into "responsible 2-way players"? Usually accompanied by limited minutes in bottom 6 duties? squinty smile

That seems to be an issue with a lot of young players nowadays. Defensive performance is really important but that comes with time.
10 nov. 2021 à 20 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I would worry far less about Laf than about Kakko.
Kakko seems to struggle with speed of game.
When we play against Rangers, Laf appears to be more a threat...and attracts more defensive attention.

Thanks for the insight. Kakko's analytics were really good last season, so I'm not too concerned with him. Lafreniere has the talent and the hockey sense but not the opportunity to execute it.
10 nov. 2021 à 20 h 45
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Shibbal18
Kakko was always over rated, Laf is in a sophomore slump

I wouldn't say Kakko is overrated, he is playing like the whole team. Last season he was very good.
10 nov. 2021 à 20 h 45
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: habsfan00
It's the same as the Habs Tbh, they changed from a forcheckjng team to crappy dump and chance game.

Yeah exactly there's opportunity for the top players to exercise their creativity.
habsfan00 a aimé ceci.
10 nov. 2021 à 20 h 51
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: wabit
Players need to walk before they can run. I'm not sure how he's bein used incorrectly when those underlying numbers are on par with top end players. Coaches need to put players in a position to succeed and the number say that is exactly what's happening.

He went from being the best player on the ice every night for probably most of his life to playing against men who have played in the NHL for years. Dump and chase, then fight for the puck along the wall, is a skill that he needs to learn to go far in the NHL. He can't just be better than everyone else and good things happen.

Develop the basic NHL game skills then add to that once he's mastered those. Then the game starts to slow down and the skill game will start to come out naturally. He already looks like he's in over his head at the NHL level on the lower lines. Putting him on the top line against the top shutdown lines and d-pairs every shift is just setting him up for failure.

Top draft picks in every league get wakeup calls once they hit the pros and have to actually work hard and actually have to learn the intricacies of the game. Look at the coaching ranks in any sport. Successful coaches aren't the top players, they are the fringe/role players that had to work on every aspect of the game to try and make it in the pros.

I don't disagree with what you said, but I think Lafreniere has worked hard. He has forechecked, he is playing physical. I think he has earned the nod to play more loosely with the puck and his results would be even better than the players above him.
10 nov. 2021 à 20 h 55
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Aussie_Blackhawk
McCabe is just starting to find his legs again after missing a year, Strome hopefully can get a new lease on life in the organisation with King in charge and that can either spike his value or prove he needs to be moved.

I wouldn't agree to this move at this point in time.

Thanks for the feedback. CHI is still playing Strome on that fourth line with AHLer caliber talents. Although he has become a better defensive player and puck retriever, he’s not going to produce more points in a situation like this.
10 nov. 2021 à 21 h 4
LafreneiretoKravtsov
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 833
Quoting: Hockey247
zib and panarin are struggling too because the rangers used to play a very good transition game and now they rely a lot on dump and chase, which IMO does not suit this team well. thats not how gorton built the team to be.

Whaaaatt? No.
10 nov. 2021 à 21 h 16
Rejoint: oct. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,356
Thanks for the feedback. CHI is still playing Strome on that fourth line with AHLer caliber talents. Although he has become a better defensive player and puck retriever, he’s not going to produce more points in a situation like this.

Last 2 games, Strome has played 3rd line. Our 4th line does need some attention but we are also down a couple of good young players in Hagel and Entwistle who have been quite good on a poor team. TJ and Borgstrom also been out with C19 protocol.
10 nov. 2021 à 21 h 39
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Last 2 games, Strome has played 3rd line. Our 4th line does need some attention but we are also down a couple of good young players in Hagel and Entwistle who have been quite good on a poor team. TJ and Borgstrom also been out with C19 protocol.

Yeah I don't see the Strome situation working out for CHI unless he plays with Hagel & Kurashev.
10 nov. 2021 à 21 h 45
Yeah I don't see the Strome situation working out for CHI unless he plays with Hagel & Kurashev.

Im reserving judgement at this stage. He has shown previously that he has the offensive tools in the locker.
10 nov. 2021 à 21 h 59
Shibbal18
I wouldn't say Kakko is overrated, he is playing like the whole team. Last season he was very good.

Hearing from numerous Eichel trades, Kakko is overrated
10 nov. 2021 à 22 h 3
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Hearing from numerous Eichel trades, Kakko is overrated

Buffalo should've tried to get Lafreniere in the Eichel trade.
10 nov. 2021 à 22 h 3
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Im reserving judgement at this stage. He has shown previously that he has the offensive tools in the locker.

For sure. I think Strome will figure it out, just not sure if its in CHI.
10 nov. 2021 à 22 h 5
Shibbal18
Buffalo should've tried to get Lafreniere in the Eichel trade.

That wouldve been the only way the Rangers could facilitate an Eichel trade
10 nov. 2021 à 22 h 9
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
That wouldve been the only way the Rangers could facilitate an Eichel trade

IDK why New York didn't do it if they're just gonna develop Lafreniere as a grinder.
Shibbal18 a aimé ceci.
10 nov. 2021 à 22 h 11
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Quoting: wabit

There's a balance between being given the opportunity to use your skills and acquiring/refining your other skills.
A naturally gifted shooter has a tool which can be used immediately. Putting them in a position where they can't use their existing skills (the ones you drafted them for), isn't good development.
Wanting certain basic standards is understandable, but moot if they aren't learning to incorporate those other skills with what they already possess.
11 nov. 2021 à 0 h 4
For sure. I think Strome will figure it out, just not sure if its in CHI.

Thats a very real possibility but hope is all I have right now and the hope is he can do it for us so we don't sell out whilst the value is low.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage